Two Time Olympian! Karen Chen Cheer Thread

Sylvia

TBD
Here's the same article by Jake Seiner on the Associated Press website: "Shy kid" Karen Chen has a plan for fighting off nerves

Lynn Rutherford wrote a piece on Karen after the U.S. ladies' press conference on Sunday in Korea: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2018...ogi-bites-chen-content-to-be-out-of-spotlight
And it's a good thing Chen likes training in relative obscurity, because after marching in the opening ceremony and testing the ice a few times at Gangneung Ice Arena, the U.S. bronze medalist relocated to Chuncheon, several hours away from the Olympic action. There, she spent a week largely on her own while her longtime coach, Tammy Gambill, spent much of her back time in Gangneung with students Vincent Zhou and Yaroslav Paniot of Ukraine.
"I was actually there by myself, all alone," Chen said. "[Tammy] did come in for a few of my practices, so she was going back and forth. It was kind of sad; I felt all alone at the rink all by myself. At least I was able to play my music whenever I wanted to, and I was able to play my favorite playlist, so overall I was happy."
According to Chen, it was also beneficial: With three hours of ice time each day, she could run programs and sections at will and train into peak condition.
Both Chen and Gambill think the week of training at Chuncheon marks a turning point for the skater.
"I've been seriously feeling the best I've ever been," Chen said. "My practices yesterday and today were feeling really solid. My jumps felt great. I know at nationals I wasn't feeling so well; my goal was to make the (Olympic) team. Now that I'm here, I'm so thrilled I'm able to have this experience. I'm ready to make myself an Olympic moment I'll never forget."
"Karen is skating far better than she was at nationals," Gambill said. "She's getting stronger every day."

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
For those who can watch via NBC Olympics, Karen is warming up right now on the main rink before the SP - camera is alternating between her, Karen and Gabby D. so far.

Sylvia

TBD
Karen and Jason are in Toronto between SOI stops (for new skates?) - photo shared by Lubov I. today: https://www.instagram.com/p/BhcOqbAjk-A/?hl=en&taken-by=lubov_ilyushechkina
ETA - yes, new boots! https://www.instagram.com/p/BhcpChIBZo8/?hl=en&taken-by=jasonbskates

She has 2 new programs for Stars on Ice:

"Never Enough" (from The Greatest Showman film soundtrack) performed by Loren Allred - a clip from the Fort Lauderdale show: https://www.instagram.com/p/BhVJDQLl8Iu/

"Blow Your Mind (Mwah)" by Dua Lipa - 2 clips from the Orlando show: https://www.instagram.com/p/BhVBTZXls3o/ and https://www.instagram.com/p/BhSzPetFlNB/

Randi Strong choreographed one of her SOI programs: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgopsJCHTGw/?hl=en&taken-by=randistrong

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Karen is quoted re. her upcoming training location change in this GSD news thread on Tammy Gambill's move from Riverside, California to the World Arena in Colorado Springs, scheduled to happen this summer: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...to-c-springs-world-arena.103939/#post-5364941

Jordan Cowan, a former U.S. competitive ice dancer, filmed at two SOI rehearsals (Hartford, CT & Portland, OR) and clips are being posted on his "on ice perspectives" Instagram account. Here was one video of Karen spinning in Hartford last month: https://www.instagram.com/p/BiRhQIwF5_D/?taken-by=oniceperspectives

Karen recently shared this photo/caption in which she thanked her younger brother who partnered her successfully through 4 pre-gold ice dance tests: https://www.instagram.com/p/BjLBDRpBoK2/
Her caption: "prob the most nerve-racking test I've ever done..jk actually no my upcoming SATs and ACTs will definitely top this."
On ice perspectives shared a video of Zach [Donohue] ice dancing with Karen Chen [pre-show practice in Portland, OR]: https://www.instagram.com/p/BjQR1BXl5vY/
ETA:

She currently is scheduled to perform in SKATE IT FORWARD on June 16 at the OhioHealth Ice Haus in Columbus, Ohio and ICE DREAMS on July 13 at the Westchester Skating Academy in Elmsford, NY -- more info is posted in GSD here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...galas-2018-edition.103780/page-2#post-5366202

Last edited:

VGThuy

Back on the podium where she belongs! Ok, she was on the podium last year too, but people donā€™t count Pewter for some reason. ;)

Spun Silver

The way Karen climbed back into contention this season with pretty much zero encouragement from USFS (as far as I recall) is very inspiring. It reminds me of Mirai. (Which for me is high praise indeed.) šŸ˜

Do we know if Karen is working on any of the ultra jumps?

Sonata

Sheā€™s the complete package, well balanced set of skills, beautiful programs, elegant choreography and seems to be well respected. But sheā€™s vastly underrated! I even wondered if they were going to try to prop up Mariah Bell in the free over her (no shade to her, I like her, but she clearly was getting the USFS push leading to nationals). Iā€™m not sure why sheā€™s not getting the cushion other skaters seem to benefit from when her base mark should already be much higher. I almost feel like sheā€™s being punished for her introversion and lack of drama in front of the cameras.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications šŸ˜
Well done. I hope she continues to make progress and continues to bring more joy to her programs. Thatā€™s when I really like watching her. Well done

VGThuy

Karen did it! Help the U.S. secure three spots for the Olympics...with some help from Rika of course. I'm so happy she built herself up back to the top 4 of the World. That's right. Top 4 of the World! Everyone thought she'd be in the lower top ten like 9th or worse.

Now, just like 2017 Worlds where she placed 4th...she needs to think about what she did to prepare for the 2018 Olympics and do the complete opposite. No playing musical chairs with the programs. Find one piece of music for both programs (or keep Butterfly Lovers LP), and stick with it. What matters more is the rhythm of the program and pacing, and making sure you feel comfortable landing your jumps.

Also, keep working on the rotations. You're getting there. Only one carrot this time and two qs. Much better than like three carrots. Getting closer than ever. If you can upgrade work on that too.

Also, stop throwing away levels. You threw away two level 4s in the Nationals LP and lost the silver to Amber Glenn because of it and caused all kinds of negativity with your World team selection. You were one of the few to get a level 4 step sequence in the SP. Do that again for the LP.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications šŸ˜
I just finished watching the ladies and I came to the boards to find this thread specifically first. She has made a believer out of me. Amazing amazing results. I just canā€™t believe it. After Bradie went I was like OK only two spots for the Olympics and it wasnā€™t till 10 minutes left of the free skates it reversed course and we do get three!

Two times to worlds and both times in fourth place. That is amazing

Vagabond

When I watched Karen Chen doing her double axel in the Short Program, it occurred to me that she might get as much height on that jump as all the other skaters in her flight combined. I know that she has been working on the triple axel. If she can add it to her repertoire, she might be able to win a medal at Worlds or the Olympics.

gotoschool

Written on too little sleep and fueled by Coffee I plunged into this stream of conscious revery as therapy for the ridiculous SP scoring. which turned me off from watching and caused me to completely overlook Karen Chen's fabulous performances and most of the other ones too, so I decided to catch up once the heat of competition was done. While doing so, I read a comment on social media that several thought Karen should have won. At first, I thought this must be mistaken, but since my opinion of the justice in ISU scoring and its criteria are completely undermined, I thought I would decide for myself and throw status, presumed preference and the randomly applied rule book to the wind, while seeking some solace for what had happened during Rika's freeskate. Then as I watched, I realized that Karen basically made no visible mistakes in either the SP or LP. Also in my opinion, the fact that she has so little pre-rotation on her lofty and aesthetically pleasing jumps and fairly erect posture on landing means that they are all actually rotated based on what really matters the number of degrees in a circle that are completed in the air, especially relative to other skaters who may rotate less and receive no ur (or edge) calls because of far greater pre-rotation. Furthermore, Karen didn't seem to be the same skater I remembered. It seemed she had leaped to a higher level in expression, performance, conditioning, and skating, I would get these occasional glimpses of greatness like flashbacks to memorable performances of the past that would vanish but then reappear. Then, there were the big mistakes made by the other challengers to consider. She also had a proper triple lutz edge and wonderful loft on her jumps, exceptional speed, engaging expression with the stature of maturity, picturesque flexibility and well centered spins with excellent rotational speed, lovely arm and even at times facial expressions. She also performed beautiful arabesques and fan spirals in both programs, and finally those agile and graceful turns transitioning into her triple loop, layback and lovely Biellmann which along with the music of Butterfly Lovers brought back marvelous memories of Lu Chen's 1998 Olympic Freeskate, so I decided that I agreed with the opinion expressed on social media that Karen Chen deserves to be the overall winner at Worlds.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Written on too little sleep and fueled by Coffee I plunged into this stream of conscious revery as therapy for the ridiculous scoring. which turned me off from watching and caused me to completely overlook Karen Chen's fabulous performances and most of the other ones too, so I decided to catch up once the heat of competition was done. While doing so, I read a comment on social media that several thought Karen should have won. At first, I thought this must be mistaken, but since my opinion of the justice in ISU scoring and its criteria are completely undermined, I thought I would decide for myself and throw status, presumed preference and the randomly applied rule book to the wind, while seeking some solace for what had happened during Rika's freeskate. Then as I watched, I realized that Karen basically made no visible mistakes in either the SP or LP. Also in my opinion, the fact that she has so little pre-rotation on her lofty and aesthetically pleasing jumps and fairly erect posture on landing means that they are all actually rotated based on what really matters the number of degrees in a circle that are completed in the air, especially relative to other skaters who may rotate less and receive no ur (or edge) calls because of far greater pre-rotation. Furthermore, Karen didn't seem to be the same skater I remembered. It seemed she had leaped to a higher level in expression, performance, conditioning, and skating, I would get these occasional glimpses of greatness like flashbacks to memorable performances of the past that would vanish but then reappear. Then, there were the big mistakes made by the other challengers to consider. She also had a proper triple lutz edge and wonderful loft on her jumps, exceptional speed, engaging expression with the stature of maturity, picturesque flexibility and well centered spins with excellent rotational speed, lovely arm and even at times facial expressions. She also performed beautiful arabesques and fan spirals in both programs, and finally those agile and graceful turns transitioning into her triple loop, layback and lovely Biellmann which along with the music of Butterfly Lovers brought back marvelous memories of Lu Chen's 1998 Olympic Freeskate, so I decided that I agreed with the opinion expressed on social media that Karen Chen deserves to be the overall winner at Worlds.
About your point about having more rotation in the actual air than some
skaters who get credit for full rotation even if a lot of it is done in prerotation, some Koola King type should do some measurements and blow some peopleā€™s minds. Then call Interpol or something.

Sylvia

TBD
Karen's published ISU Quick Quotes (copied-and-pasted from documents linked from the ISU Worlds event page):

After the SP:
(On her new ISU personal best scoring short program performance, 7 points higher
than her previous personal best at 2020 Four Continents) I'm really happy with my
performance. Coming here, I felt a lot of pressure and I haven't been to Worlds in such
a long time and I've definitely been struggling in the past with injuries and what not. But
to be here and skate a really solid short program is such a great confidence booster for
me and I'm really happy to keep that momentum onto the free skate. (On how she has
grown as a person and skater since 2017 Worlds) I definitely feel like I'm a totally
different person and skater. I feel like I grew a lot when I was at college (she started her
freshman year at Cornell in 2019) -- just being on campus and being around other
students gave me perspective in life. It also made me realize how much I love skating --
I'm addicted to skating and it's something I truly love. I know that, as I get older, it's
definitely going to be more challenging, and now is the time to pursue my skating goals.
I just have a better grasp and a better perspective on my life and my goals and it's
really helping me with my training and my consistency.

After the FS:
(On her performance today) I'm really proud of myself for delivering a solid short and
free program. I can't say my free skate was perfect but I did everything I could possibly
do and I fought for it and because of that I'm honestly proud of myself. (On her plans for
adding a triple Axel to her repertoire) Yes, that is an element that I really, really want to
get -- even since I was little I was 'I really want a triple Axel'. Once the season is over
I'm going to work really hard on that and hopefully get it in time for the Olympic season.
(On her reaction after she found out she had helped the USA ladies gain a third spot for
the Olympics) I was in shock for sure, just because the situation (with 3 competitors left
to skate) wasn't looking that great. I was really happy and felt a lot of emotions and I
have no regrets -- regardless if we had secured two spots or three spots -- I was just
proud of myself for delivering two really great programs and I honestly couldn't wish for
anything better.

:)

ETA link to Karen's Instagram post last night: https://www.instagram.com/p/CM5d9UoHs2s/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information