2023-24 US Pairs Discussion - Chan you count Howe many teams we have?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
What about Cheerleader Cayla — Youth Oly silver medalist in a field of four — and whoever will be her partner? I picture her with Spencer Howe. Guts & hearts.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
What about Cheerleader Cayla — Youth Oly silver medalist in a field of four — and whoever will be her partner? I picture her with Spencer Howe. Guts & hearts.
She isn't even senior age-eligible, so I'm guessing no.

Sylvia

TBD

Karen-W

hmmmmmmmmmmmm i have mixed feelings about this but mostly I'm 👀
Well, I joked in the Worlds FS pbp thread that I wondered how soon Danny would be scheduling a tryout with Audrey after getting off his return flight to Colorado Springs. It doesn't surprise me that Audrey is having a tryout with Balasz. I presume she's going to have tryouts with all of the top US pairs men who are either partnerless or need someone that can land the jumps (Siianytsia, Nagy, O'Shea).

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Dave Lease dropped the tidbit in tonight's TSL Worlds Recap that Balasz is in Colorado Springs trying out with Audrey Shin.

I saw it already loaded on my YouTube feed last night, but I can only take those two in small doses and I need a 24 hour break from figure skating lol

Karen-W

Tinycities

I don't think this comes as much of a surprise. It was a real tough watch this season seeing her struggle with the jumping elements. She's such a lovely skater.

Crossing my fingers that that rumored tryout Balasz is having with Audrey works out.

I personally find it quite surprising. They seemed to have a lot of support and were a very charismatic pair. I found some of the dialogue about her and her skills to be pretty harsh. Wouldn’t be shocked if those comments had reached her and influenced this decision, especially with her injury history.

Karen-W

I'm glad that Chelsea is taking care of herself. That's very important. And I hope Balasz finds a great partner stat. He's a gem of a pairs skater.
Not gonna lie, if the tryout with Audrey doesn't go well, I sort of hope he has one with Isabelle Martins. She needs a stronger partner for the lifts. I like Ryan too but I'd rather see him pair up with someone like Sonia Baram.

Karen-W

Balasz is not a tall dude. He's very talented, but he can't be given any pair girl and expect it to totally work out.
Chelsea's listed at 157cm per her ISU bio. Audrey is listed at 158cm per hers. Isabelle is 161cm per hers. I think we're all hoping for Audrey - Balasz and Chelsea were very well-matched height-wise.

BrightSkates

Flop era commenced
I wonder if the mental health issues have to do with the split or vice versa... Balazs having a tryout before they officially announced it make me think this was all calculated or just really good timing that Audrey became an option.
Regardless, I hope she takes care of herself.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Not gonna lie, if the tryout with Audrey doesn't go well, I sort of hope he has one with Isabelle Martins. She needs a stronger partner for the lifts. I like Ryan too but I'd rather see him pair up with someone like Sonia Baram.

Currently, I’m down by the creek.

Isabelle and Ryan have been together, except for a small break, since they were little kids. I’d be very surprised if they split.

Last edited:

Spiralgraph

^^^ As example 1 let me point out Brandon Frazier. He and Haven Denny grew up together competing in roller skating then figure skating. At one time Brandon said he couldn't envision competing in figure skating without Haven. Well Haven had injuries and you know the rest. Circumstances change, people change. That's how life and competition goes. Sometimes change works out.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

^^^ As example 1 let me point out Brandon Frazier. He and Haven Denny grew up together competing in roller skating then figure skating. At one time Brandon said he couldn't envision competing in figure skating without Haven. Well Haven had injuries and you know the rest. Circumstances change, people change. That's how life and competition goes. Sometimes change works out.

True, but Haven decided to stop figure skating. Isabelle has not.

Karen-W

True, but Haven decided to stop figure skating. Isabelle has not.
We honestly don't know what prompted Haven to make the decision to pull back from competitive skating. We don't know if someone in the USFS strongly hinted to her that perhaps she should give Brandon the thumbs-up to have a tryout with Alexa or if she, like Chris Knierim, was completely burned out and ready to throw in the towel.

I was not suggesting that Isabelle stop skating. All I said was that I think she needs a different partner. Ryan is still on the young side and doesn't seem to have developed the muscle mass and skating skills necessary to safely lift her every time - and that's something we've all mentioned in various pbp threads during the course of this past season. I think Ryan might be better off with a younger/smaller partner - and I threw out Sonia Baram's name as a possibility, but I'd be just as down with him partnering up with Cayla Smith. The only problem with either of those is that neither are senior age-eligible until the 2025-26 season so they'd have to spend a season competing just domestically - which wouldn't be the end of the world or a terrible idea if a team is looking beyond 2026.

Stephanie

I think Ryan might be better off with a younger/smaller partner - and I threw out Sonia Baram's name as a possibility, but I'd be just as down with him partnering up with Cayla Smith. The only problem with either of those is that neither are senior age-eligible until the 2025-26 season so they'd have to spend a season competing just domestically - which wouldn't be the end of the world or a terrible idea if a team is looking beyond 2026.
Both Sonia and Cayla aren't senior eligible until the 2026-27 season

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information