2023-24 US Pairs Discussion - Chan you count Howe many teams we have?

skylark

Wow, I was so into this partnership, despite the jumps, but I support her mental health.

Me too, on both counts. (this is of course about Chelsea Liu.)

People are always complaining that USFS didn't take a stronger hand in making or breaking or manipulating our pairs skaters ... but what if USFS has been on the better side for all these years? What if the better attitude is "we'll give this pair skater time to develop her jumps and celebrate that she's got gorgeous lifts and is a world-class pairs skater in nearly all the other pairs elements?"

What if that's more supportive of our athletes' mental health? Could it mean that for a long time, USFS acted on the belief that our athletes' mental health is actually more important than winning more medals?

I recall Alexa Knierim saying, when she was still skating with Chris; and she'd (not Chris!) made multiple errors at a high-level competition, that because she had so much love and support from everyone around her, when she fell on elements, that she felt really bad about herself. Everyone, including it seems USFS, kept believing in her and giving her more time. I think that had to be helpful.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
So I guess the question is “Did Chelsea know about the tryout before I did”?

Balasz posted a nice insta story praising Chelsea for prioritizing her mental health and wishing her well. I hope that everything was done with clarity and everyone is on good terms.
My guess is that she made this decision after the Worlds skate-off at the end of February but they held off making an announcement until after Worlds became they were 1st alternates.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
My guess is that she made this decision after the Worlds skate-off at the end of February but they held off making an announcement until after Worlds became they were 1st alternates.

There was a worlds skate off? I thought the worlds team was announced after nationals?

Karen-W

There was a worlds skate off? I thought the worlds team was announced after nationals?
It was an unofficial skate off. Both Chan/Howe and Liu/Nagy were invited to Synchro Nats in Vegas and performed their programs. Reports were that Chelsea had trouble with all of her jumps and that Chan/Howe outskated them. No need to announce anything officially since Chan/Howe confirmed their provisional placement on the team by the Int'l Committee at Nats.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
It was an unofficial skate off. Both Chan/Howe and Liu/Nagy were invited to Synchro Nats in Vegas and performed their programs. Reports were that Chelsea had trouble with all of her jumps and that Chan/Howe outskated them. No need to announce anything officially since Chan/Howe confirmed their provisional placement on the team by the Int'l Committee at Nats.

There was? How did I not hear of this. Was it discussed?

Karen-W

There was? How did I not hear of this. Was it discussed?
Nothing was announced officially. But if you follow their IGs, it was clear that there was some sort of monitoring session for both teams held during Synchro Nats. Then DL mentioned it in his pre-Worlds preview show. Hard to know how accurate his info was but he's the one who said Chelsea missed all her jumps. Given what we have seen from her in competition this season with Balasz and previously with Danny, that kind of tracks, so I don't think DL's info was all that far off from the truth.

Sylvia

TBD
Alisa Efimova’s end of season post: https://www.instagram.com/p/C5FAJt2O5mE/
I am so happy and grateful for the 8-month journey from the very first moment we grabbed each others hands until we stepped on the podium of the US Nationals. Domestic season 2023-24 done. Looking forward to compete internationally again!
... After having some time recharge, we are already preparing for the next season.
She and Misha (and Emily & Spencer) will perform in the Ice Chips show at SCoB in Norwood on April 6-7 - link to tickets: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-club-ice-shows-benefits.111676/#post-6581608

Sylvia

TBD
Efimova/Mitrofanov’s new programs have been choreographed by Renee Roca:

Karen-W

Efimova/Mitrofanov’s new programs have been choreographed by Renee Roca:
She's a great choice! Looking forward to seeing their programs!

Karen-W

Adele Zheng seems bound for UCLA this fall. No idea what that means for her partnership with Andy Deng.

Sylvia

TBD
Adele Zheng seems bound for UCLA this fall.
Adele’s public high school’s post includes her declared major as “Pre Business Economics”: https://www.instagram.com/p/C5Pc7n1trFl/
Good for her! UCLA appears to attract pair skaters! ;)

ETA: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/sports/figure-skating/roster/-nbsp--adele-zheng-and-andy-deng/897
Andy Deng "Currently attends Kelley School of Business at Indiana University and is pursuing a Finance BSB while working on the prerequisites for applying to medical school"

Oldfun

Adele Zheng seems bound for UCLA this fall. No idea what that means for her partnership with Andy Deng.

They split.

marshallpond

No idea what that means for her partnership with Andy Deng.
Won't be surprised. There have been rumors of an impending split, even at the Pairs Finals in Tacoma. Maybe Deng will be back with Cayla for round 2 (if the frustrations with work ethic/attitudes can be ironed out)
They split.
Won't be surprised. Rumors of their split have been swirling around since the US Pairs Finals in Tacoma

marshallpond

The new International Selection Pool is now up https://www.usfigureskating.org/skate/qualify-for-team-usa

For Pairs

Saya Carpenter and Jon Maravilla
Emily Chan and Spencer Howe
Nica Digerness and Mark Sadusky
Alisa Efimova and Misha Mitrofanov
Olivia Flores and Luke Wang
Ellie Kam and Danny O'Shea
Ellie Korytek and Timmy Chapman
Isabelle Martins and Ryan Bedard
Valentina Plazas and Maximiliano Fernandez
Naomi Williams and Lachlan Lewer

Removed from the Junior:
Adele and Andy
Carter Griffin and partner
Ashley and Aaron

Last edited:

Spiralgraph

Um Katie McBeath and her partner are not listed. He's not eligible to compete for the US yet?

Karen-W

The new International Selection Pool is now up https://www.usfigureskating.org/skate/qualify-for-team-usa

For Pairs

Saya Carpenter and Jon Maravilla
Emily Chan and Spencer Howe
Nica Digerness and Mark Sadusky
Alisa Efimova and Misha Mitrofanov
Olivia Flores and Luke Wang
Ellie Kam and Danny O'Shea
Ellie Korytek and Timmy Chapman
Isabelle Martins and Ryan Bedard
Valentina Plazas and Maximiliano Fernandez
Naomi Williams and Lachlan Lewer

Removed from the Junior:
Adele and Andy
Carter Griffin and partner
Ashley and Aaron
Hanns/Neudecker are also off the list.

Carter Griffin's partner was Audrey Park.

And no McBeath/Parkman, so that means he's still waiting on his release from the Georgian fed. Reagan Moss/Jakub Galbavy are also still waiting on his release but I think that's coming later this month.

Bright side is that Alisa Efimova has received her release from the German fed and that means the USFS can assign EfiMit outright to SkAm on the initial GP list (and they should since they're the silver medalists).

Are Korytek/Chapman now eligible for senior competitions? Or are they being added to the ISP in anticipation of him being eligible for junior competitions next season should the ISU raise the age max for junior men?

ETA - nope, her DOB is Mar 29, 2008 and his DOB is Sept 25, 2000. There's no way they are eligible for either senior or junior competition next season unless the jr age max is raised a LOT.

Bit disappointed that Jarmoc/Witkowski aren't on the ISP given their very promising debut in Novice Pairs at Nats.

ETA2 - I see per @marshallpond's edit that neither Moss/Galbavy or Jarmoc/Witkowski are qualified (MossGal missed the qualifying score by .25!!!) but I won't be surprised if they manage those scores this summer and are added to the ISP ahead of the JGP.

Last edited:

marshallpond

Hanns/Neudecker are also off the list.

Carter Griffin's partner was Audrey Park.

And no McBeath/Parkman, so that means he's still waiting on his release from the Georgian fed. Reagan Moss/Jakub Galbavy are also still waiting on his release but I think that's coming later this month.

Bright side is that Alisa Efimova has received her release from the German fed and that means the USFS can assign EfiMit outright to SkAm on the initial GP list (and they should since they're the silver medalists).

Are Korytek/Chapman now eligible for senior competitions? Or are they being added to the ISP in anticipation of him being eligible for junior competitions next season should the ISU raise the age max for junior men?

Bit disappointed that Jarmoc/Witkowski aren't on the ISP given their very promising debut in Novice Pairs at Nats.
I added the criteria for selection and Jarmoc/Witkowski didn't get the 125 score in a novice event

Karen-W

I added the criteria for selection and Jarmoc/Witkowski didn't get the 125 score in a novice event
Seems kind of crazy to require the same score in the novice event as you require from the juniors but not my call, lol.

Karen-W

totally fixed it

You’re being error prone lately 💅🏼
You're being more delusional than usual lately.

But, I'll be happy to point out just how deluded you are in a couple months when we get the initial GP assignments and Efimova/Mitrofanov are assigned to SkAm. ;)

Sylvia

TBD
10 Pair teams are listed in the ISP as of today - 2023-24 Junior Grand Prix Final/U.S. Pairs Final/Nationals/ISU Championships placements included below:

Saya Carpenter and Jon Maravilla PF-J4/J5
Emily Chan and Spencer Howe (Nationals SP 1st before WD)/W12
Nica Digerness and Mark Sadusky PF-S5/S7
Alisa Efimova and Misha Mitrofanov PF-S2/S2
Olivia Flores and Luke Wang JGPF5/J1/JW2
Ellie Kam and Danny O'Shea S1/4CC3/W11
Ellie Korytek and Timmy Chapman PF-S4/S8
Isabelle Martins and Ryan Bedard PF-S3/S6
Valentina Plazas and Maximiliano Fernandez S3/4CC9/W13
Naomi Williams and Lachlan Lewer J2/JW3

Last edited:

Oldfun

Won't be surprised. There have been rumors of an impending split, even at the Pairs Finals in Tacoma. Maybe Deng will be back with Cayla for round 2 (if the frustrations with work ethic/attitudes can be ironed out)

Won't be surprised. Rumors of their split have been swirling around since the US Pairs Finals in Tacoma

In any case he won’t be back with Cayla. As heard several months ago, he might focus on study to finish school earlier, but didn’t know anything new recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information