2023-24 US Pairs Discussion - Chan you count Howe many teams we have?

marshallpond

PlaFern need something to help get them past the mental block they've got on the jumps in competition, plus I'm not super-sold on Peterson's choreo.
Unfortunately, it's not a mental block. The skill is just not there. She only started learning triple jumps a couple or so years ago, and she has never been able to land jumps consistently, if at all. Jumping skills are much, much harder to learn.

The problem is that they don't have a good jump coach in Canton (the only good jumping coach retired in 2022, and even then, Val did not work with her). Though I'm not sure if they'd consider moving elsewhere: Max especially is joined to the hips with Peterson/Evora, having been his coach since his Florida days.

The approach USFS seems to be taking is finding good single skaters who can jump and turn them into pair skaters. I have always heard that it is much easier to learn pair elements, but it is not easy to learn jumps. If you can do triple jumps, triple throws are just a breeze to learn. Hence, you have the problem that plaques pair skaters (not just US), where they can do absolutely stunning pair elements but cannot jump.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
But you just named 4 teams you expect to podium next year...

I know I added in Efimova and mitro as a wild horse, they’re not my cup of tea yet, but still wouldn’t have mind seeing them at worlds instead of these three

We’re only going to have two teams next year I’d like them to be two completely different teams if possible

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Because it's not all about the damn jumps!
ummmmm For USA pairs it is, it’s so refreshing to see a team that can do them, since absolutely none outside of Alexa and Brandon can.

Jumps have forever been USA Pairs elephant in the room, so how cool to see a team that doesn’t usually have issues with them.

Ellie and Danny can put my gosh the throws.

Tesla

Whippet Good
ummmmm For USA pairs it is, it’s so refreshing to see a team that can do them, since absolutely none outside of Alexa and Brandon can.

Jumps have forever been USA Pairs elephant in the room, so how cool to see a team that doesn’t usually have issues with them.

For a lot of pairs worldwide it is. Not just the US pairs yet they seem to get picked on the most.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

Listen... Your faves have some areas of significant weakness - lifts in particular. Ryan is probably the least stable looking of the top 10 US teams (C/H, K/O'S, E/M, L/N, P/F, McB/P, M/B, Korytek/Chapman, Digerness/Sadusky, Fitzpatrick/Bearinger) and that's without Siianytsia in the mix. Ryan has a lot of work to do to catch up. He's also very young still and needs to continue to build his upper body strength and I think that will come with time. But right now? In a discipline where lifts (both overhead and twist) and death spirals are also required elements, your team isn't going to be on top simply because of good SBS jumps and throws.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Listen... Your faves have some areas of significant weakness - lifts in particular. Ryan is probably the least stable looking of the top 10 US teams (C/H, K/O'S, L/N, P/F, McB/P, M/B, Korytek/Chapman, Digerness/Sadusky, Fitzpatrick/Bearinger) and that's without Siianytsia in the mix. Ryan has a lot of work to do to catch up. He's also very young still and needs to continue to build his upper body strength and I think that will come with time. But right now? In a discipline where lifts (both overhead and twist) and death spirals are also required elements, your team isn't going to be on top simply because of good SBS jumps and throws.

Lol I’m trying to watch ice dance y’all not comment on the gold medalists MarBed 😘

I’m just saying it’s so great to have a US team that can do the elements that most US teams have not been able to do it since I can’t remember.

And they are also a team that looks so happy on the ice and thoroughly enjoy what they’re doing.

MarBed might not have the best lifts and twists but they stay vertical. None of the US teams at worlds and there were three of them could stay vertical.

Tesla

Whippet Good
Lol I’m trying to watch ice dance y’all not comment on the gold medalists MarBed 😘

I’m just saying it’s so great to have a US team that can do the elements that most US teams have not been able to do it since I can’t remember.

And they are also a team that looks so happy on the ice and thoroughly enjoy what they’re doing.

MarBed might not have the best lifts and twists but they stay vertical. None of the US teams at worlds and there were three of them could stay vertical.
So if a team doesn't have good lifts or twists (hallmarks of pairs skating) but good jumps, that's ok?! Pairs is not all about the jumps. A hell of a lot more damage can be done to someone in a lift than a jump.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Spiralgraph

Well next season our new Junior Champions will compete senior domestically. Olivia Flores/Luke Wang They completed triples and a sbs double axel combo in their LP at nationals and won the silver medal at junior worlds. There is hope out there, really!

Karen-W

Well next season our new Junior Champions will compete senior domestically. Olivia Flores/Luke Wang They completed triples and a sbs double axel combo in their LP at nationals and won the silver medal at junior worlds. There is hope out there, really!
Sadly, they're not eligible for senior internationally until 2025-26.

skatingguy

decently
I kind of hope for a whole new podium at US nationals next year

Katie and Daniil
MarBed
Liu and Nagy
Efimova And Mitro

I’m very much over the three US teams at worlds and have been
With regards to Martins/Bedard

Willin

Honestly I don't think US pairs have gotten worse. I think they're getting better.

A huge part of the problem is just that the rest of the world has gotten a lot better. Pair that with a slightly worse than normal skate from K/O and a very subpar skate from C/H (likely due to injury and lack of training time) and this result is just a blip.

Yuri

I must admit that I thought the USA would have only a single pairs entry in Boston next year when no couple placed in the top 10, as I didn't realize the rule was that any country with 2 or 3 entries needed the top two to score 28 placements or better to keep two. As frustrating as it was to watch all of the mistakes this week, the big picture is that only the USA and Canada placed THREE pairs in the top 15 at Worlds. And that's without the fabulous Knieriem and Frazier competing this year after their gold and silver placements at the past two Worlds. So there is some depth there. Plus I agree that all three USA couples have amazing, innovative, and difficult lifts. I think the USA pairs situation is still OK despite the disappointment in Montreal.

Karen-W

I must admit that I thought the USA would have only a single pairs entry in Boston next year when no couple placed in the top 10, as I didn't realize the rule was that any country with 2 or 3 entries needed the top two to score 28 placements or better to keep two. As frustrating as it was to watch all of the mistakes this week, the big picture is that only the USA and Canada placed THREE pairs in the top 15 at Worlds. And that's without the fabulous Knieriem and Frazier competing this year after their gold and silver placements at the past two Worlds. So there is some depth there. Plus I agree that all three USA couples have amazing, innovative, and difficult lifts. I think the USA pairs situation is still OK despite the disappointment in Montreal.
Well, they were also the only countries with three entries in Montreal. And even if Italy had been able to send a 3rd team, I'm quite sure that all three of those countries would have placed all three of their teams in the Top 15. Now, Germany, next year... I have my doubts that RoSchu will finish in the top 15, so I guess there is that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information