2023-24 US Pairs Discussion - Chan you count Howe many teams we have?

happycamper2554

New partnership of Gracie Gottschalk and Sam Herbert training in Michigan with Jim Peterson & Amanda Evora.

Do we know how old he is?

Sylvia

TBD
❤️❤️❤️❤️ is the goddess of pairs figure skating Natalia, not on the gram?

Lachlan in the post-FS press conference: "Thank you to the medical staff who did work on me all week because I could hardly skate so thank you guys..." Also: "Naomi did a great job to get back on the ice as quickly as she did. Her surgeon didn't even think she was able to go to nationals..."

Transcript of the post-FS presser with Flores/Wang & Williams/Lewer, as posted in the Junior Worlds subforum in Kiss & Cry:
Olivia Flores/Luke Wang (USA), 2024 ISU World Junior silver medalists
Wang: (On their first Junior Worlds and what it means to them) First of all, I want to congratulate all the athletes sitting with me here, including our teammates who we train with every day. It means a lot. Our coach was saying this event feels like the culmination of all of the hard work we put into the year and all of the lessons we've learned thus far. And so, we take away a lot – a lot to learn, a lot to be happy about –and so no regrets. And we're really just really honored and excited to be here sitting with these wonderful athletes beside me. (how do you develop being expressive on the ice and selling a program) It’s definitely something we work on and we emphasize. I think it starts also with the packaging and the repertoire we choose to skate to. Being really excited for us, just in our long, we always say we never feel tired of it. We're always excited even during training to skate to that (Star Wars) music, so it starts with that feeling of being really excited. And then obviously Drew did a great job of choreographing, really highlighting our strengths and highlighting that we are expressive skaters. For me personally, I grew up a musical theater kid so that's where I get that from. I also did dance, but I think for sure, (it’s) the whole process, and of course, working on it too. I did also want to add – just watching my inspirations too, seeing how they are able to tell a story first and foremost and that inspires me and us to try to follow in their paths. One of them being our coach, Natalia Mishkutenok (1992 Olympic pairs champion), who was a legend in pair skating herself. Just watching her videos when I got into the discipline was really inspiring – all her legendary performances. (on your biggest strength as a team) For us, regardless of how the performance of the competition may turn out to be, we can always rely on the fact that we are putting our full effort into our performance and really showcasing that character and musicality - I think that’s one of our strengths. And the performance of it – we like to showcase that. (on your future plans if the ISU pairs age rule changes) We have one (more) year regardless of any age change. We actually don't know about the Grand Prix season. I mean it heavily relies on world rankings so we will see. Junior Worlds is always fun and this is our first one so I'd love to come back. We'd love to dabble in senior as well, so definitely something we're going to work for.
Flores: (On their first Junior Worlds and what it means to them) I'm just very excited and surreal to be here and definitely grateful even though, you know, you have hopes and you always want to do your best and sometimes that doesn't happen. And moving on and learning the lessons from this competition and taking it to the next. (how do you develop being expressive on the ice and selling a program) I think just having fun when we skate. So much of it is actually enjoying skating and skating together and that helps us build our own confidence.

Naomi Williams/Lachlan Lewer (USA), ISU World Junior bronze medalists
Lewer: (on having missed the Junior Grand Prix season due to Williams’ foot injury and what it means to be on the podium here in the 2nd Junior Worlds) It's just such a relief to be here after the season we had, the ups and downs, things like that. Naomi did a great job to get back on the ice as quickly as she did. Her surgeon didn't even think she was able to go to nationals, so to go (and win the silver medal), and then to come here, is just such a huge accomplishment for both of us. I'm super proud of my partner and everyone else here. They all worked super hard and they earned everything they got. Thank you to the medical staff who did work on me all week because I could hardly skate so thank you guys, thank you to my coaches and congrats to everyone else. Thank you. (how do you develop being expressive on the ice and selling a program) Well, I think Naomi has always been an expressive skater and I think that has motivated me to do a better job, especially with Drew (Meekins) as my coach. He likes to encourage me to smile a lot, so I've worked on it a lot these past couple of seasons and try to catch up to Naomi. I think what Olivia said as well, like the joy of skating, like really trying to find that and express that, really trying to engage with the audience and things like that, let them know how fun it is to be out on the ice. (on your future plans if the ISU pairs age rule changes) So I think hopefully our plan for next season is to move up to Senior, hopefully get maybe a Senior Grand Prix if we train hard enough and get the elements that we need to get. But if they change the rules (note: he turned 21 in January) maybe Junior Worlds once again? I mean this is such a fun event – the atmosphere, the skaters, the crowd, I mean it’s fantastic! But I think we’re going to go up to senior next year and work our butts off to get there.
Williams: (on having missed the Junior Grand Prix season due to her foot surgery and what it means to be on the podium here) I'm very proud of everyone. I thought everyone did great, especially since it was so late at night. We train with Luke and Olivia every day and we see how hard they work, and I'm really, really proud of them especially. Our goal in the season was obviously to compete in the Junior Grand Prix and Junior Worlds and, after missing the first goal, it meant a lot to be here. And I'm so happy to be here with the best training mates so thank you guys! (how do you develop being expressive on the ice and selling a program) I think we all love skating so showing how much we love it through our skating and, like Luke said, making sure our programs are something that we know we can enjoy and really get into the character. Because our short program is very happy – it's about like a girl and a boy falling in love and the (Miss Saigon) free skate is more character-y so kind of getting into the mindset before really helps me. (on your biggest strength as a team) I think for us maybe our lifts because Lachlan is so strong and I trust him with my life when I’m up there. It really makes it easy to do some fun things and positions and then, when I'm up there, I'm like flying and I can express to the audience. I think that's something that we can keep improving and keep making it even better.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

Lachlan in the post-FS press conference: "Thank you to the medical staff who did work on me all week because I could hardly skate so thank you guys..." Also: "Naomi did a great job to get back on the ice as quickly as she did. Her surgeon didn't even think she was able to go to nationals..."

Transcript of the post-FS presser with Flores/Wang & Williams/Lewer, as posted in the Junior Worlds subforum in Kiss & Cry:

Seeing Natalia in the USA as she has been for quite some time and coaching the US pairs inspires me so much. If there is anyone I would love to see interviewed these days even if it had to be from Dave it is Natalia, I have questions that go on for days.

I mean, maybe I should do the interview.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Seeing Natalia in the USA as she has been for quite some time and coaching the US pairs inspires me so much. If there is anyone I would love to see interviewed these days even if it had to be from Dave it is Natalia, I have questions that go on for days.

I mean, maybe I should do the interview.
ANL and Karen-W can start our own skating podcast!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
ANL and Karen-W can start our own skating podcast!

That’s so funny me and another member on this board discussed doing this together a few months ago but I don’t think he wants to do it anymore. I still do. I even have a name for my podcast .. if you want to know it DM me so I can tell you so nobody here plagiarizes my creative, inspiring ideas. Lol.

Karen-W

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series

Karen-W

It seems that Audrey Shin is switching to Pairs...

Sarah

It seems that Audrey Shin is switching to Pairs...

She looks fantastic in the clips! I hope she finds a partner!

Sylvia

TBD
Golden Skate’s Judith D. chatted with Olivia & Luke after they won the silver medal in Taipei: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcL4BBjCUpY

More info:
ETA: Happy 20th Birthday to Luke!

ETA #2: Olivia turns 17 after July 1 so they aren't currently age-eligible for ISU Senior in 2024-25, though they do plan to move up domestically.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Has Siianytsia found a partner yet?
Not as far as I've seen on his IG.

I was also thinking he might be an option for her but there are at least a couple other US guys who are looking for partners. Nathan Rensing is on IPS and we know that Michael Chapa is available since Oakton Edge announced Baylen Taich was looking for a partner.

And then Noel-Antoine Pierre from France is also looking for a partner.

Sylvia

TBD
Should we have a GSD thread for senior/junior international pair splits from this season, plus any new confirmed partnership updates? Or keep using the 2023-24 Pairs thread in the Trash Can?

U.S. pair skaters listed on IPS as of today (March 9) who competed Novice or higher this season:
-Michael Chapa, 21 (Novice Pairs silver medalist at 2024 Nationals; based in Chicago area)
-Nathan Rensing, 26 (based in Irvine, CA)
-Taisiya Shapovalova, 13 (7th in Novice at the U.S. Pairs Final last November; based in Irvine, CA)
-Tallulah Tanner, 14 in June (8th in Novice at the U.S. Pairs Final)

Competed at 2023 Nationals in Junior:
William Church, 20
Lilianna Murray, 18

Willin

USFS seems to be doing a great job of getting their great but not international podium threat ladies to pairs lately. This is what Skate Canada did for many years and it worked out for them. It makes me very excited to see what happens - especially if it means better throws and SBS jumps. Now they just need to find the male partners.

Karen-W

Should we have a GSD thread for senior/junior international pair splits from this season, plus any new confirmed partnership updates? Or keep using the 2023-24 Pairs thread in the Trash Can?

U.S. pair skaters listed on IPS as of today (March 9) who competed Novice or higher this season:
-Michael Chapa, 21 (Novice Pairs silver medalist at 2024 Nationals; based in Chicago area)
-Nathan Rensing, 26 (based in Irvine, CA)
-Taisiya Shapovalova, 13 (7th in Novice at the U.S. Pairs Final last November; based in Irvine, CA)
-Tallulah Tanner, 14 in June (8th in Novice at the U.S. Pairs Final)

Competed at 2023 Nationals in Junior:
William Church, 20
Lilianna Murray, 18
I think a new thread for US Pairs/Dance splits similar to the Canadian one might be the best path to go.

Sylvia

TBD
I think a new thread for US Pairs/Dance splits similar to the Canadian one might be the best path to go.
Just checked and no one posted in the Canadian one last year after it was started by @fan...

ETA that I will continue posting confirmed splits/new partnerships here and in the Trash Can threads (for the international teams) for now. These threads usually end up filled with speculation anyways. ;)

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series

happycamper2554

Jared McPike, 17 is listed as of today skating out of Fort Wayne, IN

Sylvia

TBD

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information