The Dance Hall, Part 4: To Helsinki & Back -- Seeking Rhumba Magic ...

VGThuy

So we still need to see the programs of Papadakis/Cizeron, the Shibs, Cappellini/Lanotte, Chock/Bates, and the FD of Stepanova/Bukin.

No matter if some of us are disappointed with some of the programs right now, February is a long way away and I have a feeling a few of us will be changing our minds about the programs by then.

ninalovesskating

Virtue/Moir
PHENOMENAL, as always.

Weaver/Poje
It saddens me that I snoozed watching them because I have always loved this team. Some lifts looked laboured. Her dress was pretty but what in the world was he wearing?

Gilles/Poirier
I didn't snooze as much with them. I like the music. Very classic and warm feel. Lifts were unique, as always, but some positions were kinda too crazy.

G/P and W/P are so close in scores, it's kinda mind-blowing in a way. Who would have thought? ONE POINT difference! I wonder if there's gonna be a shift in rankings at nationals...hmmm...

Miloune

Poor W/P... Why did they choose this music to skate to?? What is the added value here? Also, when will they be able to do a great twizzle sequence again?

What I mean is : omg what happened to this team !

Emilia12

Virtue/Moir
PHENOMENAL, as always.

Weaver/Poje
It saddens me that I snoozed watching them because I have always loved this team. Some lifts looked laboured. Her dress was pretty but what in the world was he wearing?

Gilles/Poirier
I didn't snooze as much with them. I like the music. Very classic and warm feel. Lifts were unique, as always, but some positions were kinda too crazy.

G/P and W/P are so close in scores, it's kinda mind-blowing in a way. Who would have thought? ONE POINT difference! I wonder if there's gonna be a shift in rankings at nationals...hmmm...
No there won't be any shift, people talking about it every year at it never happens. GP are still not on the same level to compete with WP

Emilia12

I don't know I didn't see Spartacus on the ice today... Except in Andrew's bare biceps!! :)
I did, and it was beautiful. Not completely sold on the SD, even though I love the concept, But the FD is a favorite FD of the season by far. We obviously haven't seen many other top teams yet, but I have a feeling it's still going to be one of my favorites at the Olympics

Miloune

I did, and it was beautiful. Not completely sold on the SD, even though I love the concept, But the FD is a favorite FD of the season by far. We obviously haven't seen many other top teams yet, but I have a feeling it's still going to be one of my favorites at the Olympics

Well I'm happy for you if you liked it! Maybe I'll change my mind during the season but I feel like they need something more ambitious if they want to go back up in the ranking!

Emilia12

Well I'm happy for you if you liked it! Maybe I'll change my mind during the season but I feel like they need something more ambitious if they want to go back up in the ranking!
It is very ambitious program technically, there are lots of little nuances in that program, lots of things can go wrong. It's not an easy or safe program at all, and I have a huge respect for WP for that.
I'm thinking that maybe they went for a cenior B too early this season, right now both programs still not prepared enough, especially the SD. It's not really a problem, it always takes them time to settle into programs, they will be in good shape for Grand Prix, but maybe they should have considered a later senior B as they usually do

Miloune

So, I feel like I must say it again because I can't take it anymore : when are they giving my Danes a good score! I LOVE their FD!! It's what @cocotaffy and I prayed for : HOTNESS :smokin::smokin:. The music choice is awesome. Please someone send them to the olympics!!

Also, I liked Smart/Diaz FD, surprisingly. They did well this weekend! (even though I felt their SD was overscored).

kittysk8ts

So, I feel like I must say it again because I can't take it anymore : when are they giving my Danes a good score! I LOVE their FD!! It's what @cocotaffy and I prayed for : HOTNESS :smokin::smokin:. The music choice is awesome. Please someone send them to the olympics!!

Also, I liked Smart/Diaz FD, surprisingly. They did well this weekend! (even though I felt their SD was overscored).
I love their FD too! Classy and sexy and just lovely skating and costuming.

kittysk8ts

Poor W/P... Why did they choose this music to skate to?? What is the added value here? Also, when will they be able to do a great twizzle sequence again?

What I mean is : omg what happened to this team !
Oh my poor W/P. It seemed last season they came out fighting and refreshed with their team change. I saw nothing like that here at this competition. I am sure they will get some good feedback and will be better next outing.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
I think I entered this season with really too high hopes. So I've decided to lower my standards considering what I've seen so far.

I don't care, I finally have my steamy tango. And just for that, thank you :40beers:

Dobre

I love S/D but I think technically they are not very good. M/C have good SS and they were world junior champions.

Well, in 2015-16 Hubbell & Donohue lost to Paradis & Ouellette and a less-than-clean performance by Paul & Islam at the start of the season in Canada. (It was a club event, but still--P&O never had the skating skills that H&D have or had).

McNamara & Carpenter will grow from here. I'm quite proud of them. Before the competition, I swore to myself that I would be happy if they skated two solid programs in this deep field, and they did. Smart & Diaz had a beautiful FD performance at this event. All three teams (M&C, S&D, and the Danes) skated well in the FD here. Good for them. Everyone dropped levels and can improve, but learning is what early CS events are all about.

Some takeaways from this weekend:

1. I really liked Bobrova & Soloviev's FD performance. It is the only program that made me feel something (which is quite an accomplishment at this stage of the season).

2. I hope the Russian Fed is feeling just a tad sheepish about not inviting Popova & Mozgov to Rostelecom. I don't have any crazy expectations for this team at this stage, but I do think they are better than Evdokimova & Bazin. I get that P&M do not have a ranking from Nationals. But that didn't bother anyone back when Ilinykh & Zhiganshin started competing. (Honestly, I think P&M are paying a bit for that disaster rather than just their own re-teaming).

3. The field at Nepela had no very established senior teams after B&S, but the top two young teams skated well & I am happy for P&M and the Parsons. Also kudos to Min & Gamelin, who look ready for the season and had the highest levels in the FD along with Bobrova & Soloviev.

4. I think Weaver & Poje's FD has potential and a story arc. I'm struggling with the lack of excitement in the beginning, but the elements are well placed and the ending is nice. I am curious to see how it develops.

February is a long way away and I have a feeling a few of us will be changing our minds about the programs by then.

This is so true!

Last edited:

Dobre

Shpilevaya & Smirnov appear likely to be out of the JGP. Per Ka3sha's report, Smirnov posted a photo from the hospital and they are currently off the entry lists.

A shame. I think they had an excellent chance of both qualifying and medaling at the JGPF. They have great lifts and programs that suit them this season. (OK, I don't remember their Latin SD. I find it really difficult to remember almost all of the junior Latin SDs. But S&S have great lifts in their FD, and the program suits them).

barbarafan

Shpilevaya & Smirnov appear likely to be out of the JGP. Per Ka3sha's report, Smirnov posted a photo from the hospital and they are currently off the entry lists.

A shame. I think they had an excellent chance of both qualifying and medaling at the JGPF. They have great lifts and programs that suit them this season. (OK, I don't remember their Latin SD. I find it really difficult to remember almost all of the junior Latin SDs. But S&S have great lifts in their FD, and the program suits them).

What is wrong? very concerned.....they are just so good.

nimi

Thoughts on today's FD event at Lombardia...
(...)
I can appreciate the fact that L/D chose to do Broadway instead of the typical bland Russian programs, but the excessive talking is too much...:fragile:
Apparently Drozd indicated they're considering some tweaks in their FD music. Fingers crossed! (GS link)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information