The Dance Hall 8: Join the Maskerade 2020-2021

Bigbird

Not to mention Madonna has no place in our sport. A most vile and vulgar woman.

I fail to understand how the British team bested Hawayek+Baker at the World Championships. I am at Jean-Luc's disposal if he requires consolation.

Skating quality only counts in dance if you look like Ken and Barbie, so I often wonder why teams get so invested in their scores for dance. They are completely random. Disappointing yes but surprising, no.

Last edited:

becca

It's hard to know whether Nikita's twizzles are like a Charlie White's twizzles where he got them under control & they were almost never problem after he did, or are they like an Andrew Poje twizzles where he has a few good seasons & then they start to deteriorate again. If they are only planning on going one more year than he might just make it.
I honestly think Nikita will deliver he has a lot of experience now. And I think he and Viktoria come trained and prepared. Which is half the battle I suspect. You can have all the talent in the world but if your not willing to work hard.

Now does this mean he and Viktoria will win I think a lot depends on the programs honestly but I think he is likely to get a second OGM for sure in the team.

litenkyckling

glad that after today we can finally say goodbye to the finnstep. As someone who doesn't enjoy musicals all that much, I'm thrilled. But my biggest takeaway is that I think Kaitlin and Jean-Luc are maybe the only team that I'm not worried about for the RD next year - I think they will be able to do a non-cringe hip hop

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
glad that after today we can finally say goodbye to the finnstep. As someone who doesn't enjoy musicals all that much, I'm thrilled. But my biggest takeaway is that I think Kaitlin and Jean-Luc are maybe the only team that I'm not worried about for the RD next year - I think they will be able to do a non-cringe hip hop
I think Lilah and Lewis will also do just fine with the RD next year. The rest of the ice dancing world? Well, "gird your loins" fellow fans, it's going to be cringey.

happycamper2554

I think Lilah and Lewis will also do just fine with the RD next year. The rest of the ice dancing world? Well, "gird your loins" fellow fans, it's going to be cringey.
S/K were asked about Hip Hop in an interview and they said there are other rhythms. So i don't think they will have a cringe hip hop. They (Zhulin) learned from the Michael Jackson this year.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I love musicals, but I'm not sorry to see the Finnstep go. It looked so grueling.

Colonel Green

In 2018 the best RD came from VM right? The prince program? I don't think they'll all be that cringey right? There is also swing?
“Best” is of course subjective, but that one certainly was generally a success.

I admit I find the degree of trepidation some fans seem to have about next year’s RD a bit odd, since almost all of these teams have already competed this theme once, and people generally liked it.

MsZem

I see the sea
In 2018 the best RD came from VM right? The prince program? I don't think they'll all be that cringey right? There is also swing?
That was 2017.

I find SDs/RDs forgettable for the most part, and also don't really enjoy hip hop on ice, or Prince, so my answer would be no ;)

litenkyckling

“Best” is of course subjective, but that one certainly was generally a success.

I admit I find the degree of trepidation some fans seem to have about next year’s RD a bit odd, since almost all of these teams have already competed this theme once, and people generally liked it.
Obviously some last time were fantastic - but generally I think that hip hop when done by people who don't understand it just isn't the most enjoyable... maybe this time will be better seeing as I think 2016/17 prompted some teams to permanently incorporate hip hop classes into their regular schedule

VGThuy

I seem to remember that the 2016-17 RDs were for the most part one of the better reviewed rhythms from the fans. There is always a worry about the cringe factor. I just think so long as the teams try their best to be themselves and pay respect to the rhythm without looking ridiculous, it should be ok. The ISU obviously wants safe SYTYCD safe-for-primetime television style of hip hop, so I don't see anything like this happening:

Good Vibrations

That said, the Shibs did do a shout-out to Blades of Glory when using Will Ferrell's quote: "We're going to skate to one song and one song only" leading up to Jay-Z's "Paris", which he also sampled for the song.

Last edited:

litenkyckling

I was wondering if Worlds was a one-off, but WTT continued the judging trend of widening the gap between the top teams and the mid-tier, compared to the big boost in scores we were seeing for many of the latter last season (and which continued in domestic events).
H/B and S/F (and G/F to an extent) were particularly robbed here imo - to have S/F below 100 was a low blow and to have H/B only 4 points off G/T (who I thought were great too) was an interesting choice

Bigbird

Come back soon and save us Papadakis/Cizeron is what I took away from the dance event at World Team Trophy (and largely felt the same at Worlds too with a few exceptions). :shuffle:
I haven't had the heart to watch, honestly just find it all way, way too comical to be taken seriously. I find that I am enjoying the other disciplines more. Nonetheless, waiting somewhat impatiently for a breath of fresh air.

mjb52

I think a lot of teams will be hesitant to do hip hop who might otherwise like to do it because of the fear of being the team that is being heavily criticized on social media. A lot has changed in terms of how discourse happens since the last time this was the rhythm. It may create some risk aversion from teams that might otherwise like to try. I could be wrong about that, but I wouldn't be at all surprised. It's just easier to go for blues/swing/whatever the other options are. It's a very tricky question, because people have the right to criticize programs they think are genuinely careless about cultural appropriation issues, but at the same time, inevitably I think that creates an environment where we might see less risk-taking in choreography and teams going for music choices that are perceived to be "safer" which actually leads to less diverse and interesting music choices. I don't know. It's a really tough issue. There is wanting/needing to please very different groups of people: the judges, the audience in the building, and fans online.

mjb52

This all intrigued me; I ran across the ISU Communication on the RD: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...idelines-for-rhythm-dance-season-2021-22/file

I had shorthanded it in my head to either blues vs. hip-hop and maybe swing, but there are a few other options:
"Street Dance Rhythms" (such as hip hop, disco, swing, krump, popping, funk, etc.), jazz, reggae (reggaeton) and blues

I think one thing is that since the Midnight Blues is already mandatory, teams will have to think about what goes well with that. But there's a lot more directions to go than I had realized.

Bigbird

This all intrigued me; I ran across the ISU Communication on the RD: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...idelines-for-rhythm-dance-season-2021-22/file

I had shorthanded it in my head to either blues vs. hip-hop and maybe swing, but there are a few other options:
"Street Dance Rhythms" (such as hip hop, disco, swing, krump, popping, funk, etc.), jazz, reggae (reggaeton) and blues

I think one thing is that since the Midnight Blues is already mandatory, teams will have to think about what goes well with that. But there's a lot more directions to go than I had realized.
It's all about finding that right groove that suits a pair. There are several types of hip hop, look at what V/M did in 2018? Look at what the Shibs did with JayZ. Only certain teams can really pull that off though. Swing, blues, disco etc are also other viable options. I think the offerings will be diverse a quite interesting.

Not all skaters can live so easily in the land of camp although the judges seem to love it, for a whole season they might lose it. Some just love things a little more raw and evocative.

Let the shannanigans begin!

VGThuy

I'd rather not thanks. That I can't even remember it says it all for me. :shuffle:
Not surprised haha.

I’m sure a lot of people remember it though.
8.5 million views on Facebook!

Anyway, I bet the American teams won’t be afraid to do hip hop. I remember Nationals that year and between juniors and seniors, there were more hip hop themed SDs done there than the entirety of senior and Junior worlds.

MsZem

I see the sea

VGThuy

Well hip hop is a diverse genre. Most everyday folks who do not listen to hip hop aren't really aware of the diverse voices in hip hop. Artists like Aesop Rock, Lupe Fiasco, Nas, JayZ, Notorious BIG have very sophisticated sounds. Kendrick Lamar's music is heavily jazz influenced.

Aesop Rock - Rings
Nas The Message(original) and instrumental
Lupe Fiasco - The Show Goes On Daydreamin
It really is a diverse genre. I think the ISU ice dance tech committee has sort of recognized that by furthering defining the hip hop rhythms. I still think what they really want is something akin to SYTYCD that seems worldwide audience friendly and not "offensive". The hardest part as with any actual floor dancing no matter genre, is translating it to movement on the ice. I think the 2016-17 SDs for the most part were pretty good or at least weren't more horrible than the usual SD/RDs we get. I don't really get the fear on social media considering that 2017 wasn't that long ago and people were talking and dragging people for cultural appropriation back then. I think so long as the teams and choreographers are respectful and know what they're doing, it'll come off as appreciation for the dance form. Of course, the commentators will have a field day with having to explain why they can't spend most of the time doing static dance moves and instead must fit in the rhythm steps (to the blues rhythm - which should be able to match hip hop but it'll have to be a smooth transition), meet all the RD required elements and level 4 requirements, and have to constantly move and be in physical contact with one another instead of skating separately almost the entire time.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
According to this WTT reflection article on USFS Fanzone by Jason Brown, Sharon Rogers will be retired from international judging after this season.

When the competition was over, we were able to have a nice team celebration that included a surprise for American judge Sharon Rogers. This was Sharon's last event as an international judge because she will be retired after this season.

Regretla

I can see the U.S. teams going for hip-hop although I still have unpleasant memories every time I listen to 'Ice ice baby':rolleyes: It's just more natural to them, and last time wasn't that terrible.
But since this being the Olympic season I don't think a lot of the top 7 will try to do something too controversial.Apart maybe from P/C?
The Russian teams will probably go for Swing,Jazz,at least that's what I can see from S/K,I just don't want to even think they could go popping or kramp. S/B could do hip-hop maybe. I could definitely see G/F in a blues/swing routine ( I originally wrote swinging but then read it and oh well:scream:)

mjb52

Does it have to be blues and another rhythm or can it just be blues? I see S/K going blues but maybe with some swing/jazz for contrast or something. I agree that Svinin/Zhuk squad are the likeliest to play around with hip hop of any of the Russian camps, if any.

@Bigbird's point above that "It's all about finding that right groove that suits a pair" is a good one. You have to know yourself and identify what is creatively interesting but also what suits you and builds on your strengths.

It's a long wait to the fall and I'm already getting very curious to see what teams will come up with!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information