The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
We all love ice dance and figure skating (and pretty much everything in life) for various reasons, and it’s what makes it great.
For me, skating skills and good basics have always been crucial in ice dance, that's why I love it so much. I miss difficulty in step sequences - close dance holds, real one foot step sequences (when was the last time we had it? 2014/15 season?) and etc. Difficult or interesting and unique steps executed in synch, on a great speed and with deep edges would excite me much more than some difficult lifts (in general). I do believe that all teams should be rewarded for their strengths and get high GOEs for their best elements, but basics should not be forgotten. For example, lifts take what? 7sec + 7sec (or 12 if you choose a combination) + 7sec + 1 choreographic one - it's not that much for 4 minutes free dance, IMO. Teams can get well-deserved 22-23 points on these elements and no one is denying it, but I would prefer if teams spend other 3 and a half minutes (minus spin and twizzles) actually skating, not dragging each other or dancing while standing on two feet. That's the way I feel it :)

On a random note, lifts discussions made me remember one of the programs from Russian version of Dancing on the ice few years ago. I remember that once TAT criticized Petr Tchernyshov and his partner for not doing enough lifts and then next week they come up with this.

My back hurt after watching that but it was gorgeous.

ostile17

A picture of Kana MURAMOTO & Daisuke TAKAHASHI at a Beethoven Sonatas concert yesterday at the Vanderbilt Presbyterian Church in Naples, Florida with Tarasova/Morozov, some other students from the Zoueva Academy, the academy's ballet teacher and mama Zoueva.

yurokis40

i love the danadians but that free dance to Buble was a misfire this year hopefully Marie-france gives them something better next year.

zebobes

Is it just me, or does it seem like the France and Spanish federation are making excessive efforts to show they are completely on the IAM Marie-France train at this world's. What are the justifications for this decision?

Do you think there will be three Montreal teams on the podium this year? How much of it will be based on their skating, and how much on the judging?

I am getting concerned... I tend to prefer Montreal teams, but I don't want them to win by underhanded means.

Ka3sha

Betina Popova/Sergei Mozgov retired

heartyxo

I don’t be think there will be a Montreal sweep honestly- I think P/C and C/B will both likely medal but I’m not sure about H/D, I can see them getting 4th/5th.
If it is Montreal favouritism it kind of makes sense. I think Spain sending S/D to worlds is completely fair though. No matter which team went they’d place similarly and S/D won nationals. I find France’s decision strange though.

dancing_on_ice

I just hope that somehow/someway, S/D get top ten this year and we will never have to play this charade again. They aren’t even my favorite team, but I wouldn’t mind if they got top ten over F/G or H/B (who I like more) since both Spanish teams deserve to go to Worlds.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I'm ready for a different qualification system to worlds based on individual merit and not on country allotment. Out damned spot(s)!

Dobre

Betina Popova/Sergei Mozgov retired

:wuzrobbed

I want to see the top ten teams that deserve to be in the top ten. I don't want to see Gilles & Poirier on the podium because they are Canadian. I don't want to see Montreal teams on the podium because they train in Montreal. I don't want to see the Spanish team in the top ten because there is another qualified Spanish team. I don't want to see Montreal or Canadian or Spanish teams miss the top ten or the podium if they deserve to be there either. I don't like this scoring system. I wish I could feel like a mistake will be costly and a great skate will be helpful in the tight battles, but I don't know. This will be quite a test.

France should just have announced their assignments for Europeans & Worlds up front after Nationals if the results following Nationals weren't going to be taken into account.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will

I want to see the top ten teams that deserve to be in the top ten. I don't want to see Gilles & Poirier on the podium because they are Canadian. I don't want to see Montreal teams on the podium because they train in Montreal. I don't want to see the Spanish team in the top ten because there is another qualified Spanish team. I don't want to see Montreal or Canadian or Spanish teams miss the top ten or the podium if they deserve to be there either.

You may be following the wrong sport. :shuffle:

yurokis40

I want to see the top ten teams that deserve to be in the top ten. I don't want to see Gilles & Poirier on the podium because they are Canadian. I don't want to see Montreal teams on the podium because they train in Montreal. I don't want to see the Spanish team in the top ten because there is another qualified Spanish team. I don't want to see Montreal or Canadian or Spanish teams miss the top ten or the podium if they deserve to be there either. I don't like this scoring system. I wish I could feel like a mistake will be costly and a great skate will be helpful in the tight battles, but I don't know. This will be quite a test.

France should just have announced their assignments for Europeans & Worlds up front after Nationals if the results following Nationals weren't going to be taken into account.
Lol this is ice dance the easiest sport to manipulate.

RoseRed

Is it just me, or does it seem like the France and Spanish federation are making excessive efforts to show they are completely on the IAM Marie-France train at this world's. What are the justifications for this decision?

Do you think there will be three Montreal teams on the podium this year? How much of it will be based on their skating, and how much on the judging?

I am getting concerned... I tend to prefer Montreal teams, but I don't want them to win by underhanded means.
Sending L/LG is questionable, but sending S/D is certainly justifiable. They did win Nationals.

heartyxo

In a way I find the battle for 8th-10th just as exciting as how the clear top 7 will play out. There are so many teams fighting for those 3 places! You have FB/S who would have practically been locks for 8th if it wasn't for injury and are trying to keep 3 spots. F/G, S/D and W/L are all trying to get a second spot. Then there's H/B, who should get there based on past results but have had a messy season. Also Z/G who aren't responsible for any spots like H/B but could get there too. It's exciting :)

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
In a way I find the battle for 8th-10th just as exciting as how the clear top 7 will play out. There are so many teams fighting for those 3 places! You have FB/S who would have practically been locks for 8th if it wasn't for injury and are trying to keep 3 spots. F/G, S/D and W/L are all trying to get a second spot. Then there's H/B, who should get there based on past results but have had a messy season. Also Z/G who aren't responsible for any spots like H/B but could get there too. It's exciting :)

It would be fun to have a separate prediction contest just for this group!

MsZem

I see the sea
Apparently with her season over, Hurtado has decided to do some hair experimentation.
Didn't H/K lose a ton of levels at nationals though? I thought that was why they lost.
But who gave them those levels? :EVILLE:

heartyxo

It’s just that historically it’s more the GOE and PCS that’s affected by politics. Maybe they just didn’t get the levels..

MsZem

I see the sea
For the record, I have no idea what happened at Spanish nationals from any technical perspective.

I've posted more than once that the two Spanish teams are - at the moment - on fairly equal footing, a case could have been made for either one to get the Worlds assignment, and mostly they just really need to get that second spot already, if not this season then at least for the Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information