The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobre

An "uber-classical" program set to Davis & White's 2009 FD music. No, probably not too likely to help you really stand out. (I will watch it when I have a chance and be happy to eat my words if it does). Igor manages to hand out 1 Chock & Bates piece (Nguyen & Kolesnik), 1 Davis & White piece (Sales & Wamsteeker), 1 Cappellini & Lanotte piece from a year they were with Igor (Min & Eaton), and 1 Malaguena (Carreira & Ponomarenko). Wolfkostin & Chen and Davis & Smolkin have the most original sets of selections out of Novi, and it's hard not to think those teams got them because they are, thus far, not really on his radar & may have had another coach select their music.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Post-Courchevel RD thoughts, with reference to the protocols:

• We're seeing a reasonable degree of pattern proficiency here at the outset, despite what some people thought might be the case based on the seminars, etc.
  • More specifically, two teams got perfect 4s on the first half, and several more got a 3.
  • However, on the second half, no team on a spectrum of wildly varying skill level managed more than a two; and in particular, toward the top of the results, you get a string of teams that got a YYNN.
  • Outside of the technical, I already thought a lot of people were underrating Demougeot/Le Mercier in pre-season predictions, but even I wasn't expecting a "leading after the RD" push -- though granted, that's only because Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy got a choreo restrictions violation(?). That was a bit generous given Loicia's wild twizzles, but after all, Miss, this is France.
  • I was hoping after two really good summer competitions that Aissa had put his twizzle problems behind him, but I guess not.

Last edited:

Bigbird

Post-Courchevel RD thoughts, with reference to the protocols:

• We're seeing a reasonable degree of pattern proficiency here at the outset, despite what some people thought might be the case based on the seminars, etc.
  • More specifically, two teams got perfect 4s on the first half, and several more got a 3.
  • However, on the second half, no team on a spectrum of wildly varying skill level managed more than a two; and in particular, toward the top of the results, you get a string of teams that got a YYNN.
  • Outside of the technical, I already thought a lot of people were underrating Demougeot/Le Mercier in pre-season predictions, but even I wasn't expecting a "leading after the RD" push -- though granted, that's only because Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy got a choreo restrictions violation(?). That was a bit generous given Loicia's wild twizzles, but after all, Miss, this is France.
  • I was hoping after two really good summer competitions that Aissa had put his twizzle problems behind him, but I guess not.

I liked the girl in the lower ranked russian couple. She has a good sense of rhythm but overall everybody was pretty rough, and as usual the couples are a bit a uneven with the only exception to my eye being Igor's couple in fourth place.

EDIT: I feel for Emmi Brousard, she needs Scott Moir to come out of retirement. Why are there so few complete packages in terms of men? I mean even among the seniors, the only complete package is Guillame Cizeron. Sigh.

bcash

I liked the girl in the lower ranked russian couple. She has a good sense of rhythm but overall everybody was pretty rough, and as usual the couples are a bit a uneven with the only exception to my eye being Igor's couple in fourth place.

EDIT: I feel for Emmi Brousard, she needs Scott Moir to come out of retirement. Why are there so few complete packages in terms of men? I mean even among the seniors, the only complete package is Guillame Cizeron. Sigh.

What's your definition of complete package? I enjoy watching almost all of the top senior men, in many cases more than their partners.

Bigbird

What's your definition of complete package? I enjoy watching almost all of the top senior men, in many cases more than their partners.

Masterful blend of technique and artistry I am completely at ease watching the performance never fearing they will mess up, never seeing elements but rather a theme coming to life. The only two that do that is G&G, total package. But I do have a special place in my heart also for Andrew Poje, if only he had mastered those twizzles, he partners his lady with class.

bcash

Masterful blend of technique and artistry I am completely at ease watching the performance never fearing they will mess up, never seeing elements but rather a theme coming to life. The only two that do that is G&G, total package. But I do have a special place in my heart also for Andrew Poje, if only he had mastered those twizzles, he partners his lady with class.

Poje is great. He gets deeper into the ice than Kaitlyn and also has more sweep in the upper body. I think Zach Donohue is an excellent dancer and has the skating skills to match. Evan Bates is not bad either. Katsalapov is undoubtedly talented.

Lara111

I’m sad he won’t be competing with Eliana this season. I really felt they matched the skating skills and leg line very well.
As much as I liked them together they were not progressing for some reason. I hope the new partnership works out better for him. I also hope they move to Gadbois next year. Nothing really keeps them in Maryland. Ian graduated high school and his new partner probably never even went to a real school.

Colonel Green

I haven't been following US domestic events closely, but was this just an unusually rough event for Tkachenko/Kiliakov? They were getting very low levels for a US team on the JGP, especially one from Wheaton.

Lara111

I haven't been following US domestic events closely, but was this just an unusually rough event for Tkachenko/Kiliakov? They were getting very low levels for a US team on the JGP, especially one from Wheaton.
I think the scores were good for where they are at the moment. She made a mistake on twizzles in RD. Kiliakov needs couple of years to grow into a men before he is competitive at an International level.

Colonel Green

I think the scores were good for where they are at the moment. She made a mistake on twizzles in RD. Kiliakov needs couple of years to grow into a men before he is competitive at an International level.
Oh, I don't think they're a bad team or anything, I'm just not used to teams at that level getting out on the JGP from the USA, given the domestic depth there.

Lara111

Oh, I don't think they're a bad team or anything, I'm just not used to teams at that level getting out on the JGP from the USA, given the domestic depth there.
Well, US Junior ice dance this year is not that deep. They are not bad team at all they are just very young and some boys develop physically earlier (Anthony) but others are not (Kiliakov). He just needs time to grow.

Dobre

Random Thoughts about Specific Elements at Courchevel

-I have to say that Svinin & Zhuk rock a mean set of twizzles. First Stepanova & Bukin, then Shevchenko & Eremenko, and this free dance set from Shanaeva & Naryzhnyy is also awesome. The use of the music combined with rate of rotation:). At 2:36:18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrp3l46kPHA

(Though I still like to see the twizzles later in a program after teams have built up speed).

-We also saw a couple choreographic sliding moves worthy of mention, both of which served as genuine highlights within the programs. Portraying the real feel of the programs & helping to tell the story. One from Kudryavtseva & Karankevich at 58:39 and the other from Tkachenko & Kiliakov at the 50:37 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrp3l46kPHA

(Also kudos to K&K's choreographer, Dmitri Ionov, for doing well by a very developing team with their FD).

netrina

I think they looked further back because this was such a large field, but they scored about the same here as Katarina Delcamp & Maxwell Gart did at the first JGP event last year. And they've scored quite a bit higher at domestic comps this summer, so they may just not yet be used to getting levels in front of international judges!

Dobre

Gropman & Somerville had very similar levels at their first JGP in 2015-16. The 2nd U.S. team from the opening JGP last year had essentially the same score. (They just didn't have such noticeable names). Tkachenko & Kiliakov are the youngest team in this event. She is the youngest lady, and he is the youngest guy. Give them time;).

They are also both very small. As they grow, they will gain power. (Same was true for G&S. Same is likely true for Kagolovskaya & MacDonald, the Canadian novice champions who have moved up & whom T&K defeated last season in Canada). As far as the norm for Tkachenko & Kiliakov, they not surprisingly looked nervous in their debut here. Usually have more expression. The twizzles, especially hers, have always been their Achilles Heel so that is not a surprise; though T&K nailed them most of the time last season. I'm guessing their opening set in the RD has been upgraded. T&K were getting their keypoints on the pattern in novices so I am surprised the pattern levels are so low; but it's a new level of competition and that's good. They've been competitive in novices for three years and it's good that they will be challenged.

(It's probably my fault that you're even paying attention to them. I post about them because I like them. T&K have come up the ranks competing with Nguyen, Wolfkostin, Zhao, DelCamp, Gart, the Browns--have defeated them all at some point. Defeated Ales & Tsarik, Ling & Wein, and Lavrova & Gart this summer. Just enjoy the ride).

Last edited:

starrynight

lol People at my work do this insane thing where they refer to everyone by their initials. So if your name is John Wayne Smith they will call you JWS. There's three office levels of us and it's just insanity. I barely know peoples first names let alone decipher who they are from a set of initials. Anyway. lol That's sometimes how I feel with dance and pairs initials - especially when teams have the same initials or it jumps from first names to last names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information