The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobre

This is a general discussion thread for all things ice dance. A place where fans of all ice dance teams have the chance to discuss their favorite heart-stopping moments, tear-inducing mistakes, what you have to do in order to actually lose points for mucking up your sliding choreo element, whether Maria was really from Buenos Aires, and whatever else the ice dance world throws at us.

We all survived the FSU Crash of Worlds 2019!:encore:

-If you missed last season, you may feel free to catch up on all 4,000+ posts here:
https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/the-dance-hall-6-were-all-off-our-rockers-2018-2019.103823/

Continue.

Last edited:

dramagrrl

(hopefully) Has a dance team already announced a program for next season to the selection referenced in the thread title?

Dobre

(hopefully) Has a dance team already announced a program for next season to the selection referenced in the thread title?

Nope. I just happen to like the way it sounds. And it means "to dance" so it feels appropriate.

-Thus far the only program announcements I've seen are for Mama Mia (Sales & Wamsteeker), Grease (Smart & Diaz), Malaguena/flamenco (Carreira & Ponomarenko), and Chicago (Zagorski & Guerreiro).

Last edited:

Dobre

+ we have “Hello, Dolly!” (Hurtado/Khaliavin) now :)

I'm trying to imagine them in it and not quite succeeding (this is probably because I haven't seen the film for years and then only once); but I'm just so glad it's something I haven't seen done by figure skaters a slew of times that I find myself quite happy about it.

Bigbird

+ we have “Hello, Dolly!” (Hurtado/Khaliavin) now :)

Oh My Goodness. Just how will I get through this? I think I need to take a break and only watch the really important tournaments provided I'm still alive, namely GPF and Worlds.

Last edited:

CassAgain

Wasn't there a junior team from Japan but trained at Gadbois in the last couple of years that had a Hello, Dolly! program?

VGThuy

The camp is just so yikes...I just can't right now. You can imagine Kiril dancing to this?

It's not camp. It requires the ability to actually dance to a rhythm, so I'm glad ice dancers are taking on this challenge. Jerry Herman is an excellent composer and the lyrics have a rhyme scheme and character most songwriters wish they could do.

hlp728

Wasn't there a junior team from Japan but trained at Gadbois in the last couple of years that had a Hello, Dolly! program?
Yep, Fukase and Tateno used Hello, Dolly for a FD. https://youtu.be/Ob9b46tv8UQ

Great choice by Sara and Kirill. Which version will they use is what I’m wondering, as well as which songs are they picking? Will it be Bette, Carol, Barbra, etc.? “Before the Parade Passes By” would work as a march if they chose that as one of their songs. Sara’s costumes were fabulous this year, so I’m excited to see what she wears as Dolly. I hope she wears something like the gold dress and gloves Barbra Streisand wears in the movie. Now, I’ve got to watch the movie again.

Did anyone else see Popova’s IG stories? I thought she said Cabaret was their RD music, but I’m not well versed in Russian so I may be wrong.

ADMIN EDIT: No embedded images

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvia

TBD
Good memory! It was the Senior FD of Rikako Fukase/Aru Tareno in 2017-18 (their last season together): http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00035073.htm
She (Fukase) is listed on IPS as of January 2019.

Did anyone else see Popova’s IG stories? I thought she said Cabaret was their RD music, but I’m not well versed in Russian so I may be wrong.
Looks like it - here's a screen cap of Betina Popova's IG story: https://twitter.com/sywtwfs/status/1123257686588624897

Bigbird

Lara111

Why would anyone do Flamenco right after a tango RD? It's latin overload for the judges :( Zhulin, I'm looking at you. This doesn't look anywhere as strong or interesting as what she had with Diaz in 2015 does it? Zhulin, again I'm looking at you.
So we have two flamenco's so far right, them and C/P?
Kind of less work and better results since they do the same dance for the second year in a row.

RoseRed

But tango and flamenco are different dances with different sorts of movement and character.
Didn't they already do a sort of Flamenco themed program in the Olympic season though? I guess the Don Quijote music was more ballet than flamenco, so it's different enough.

But it's a bit of a disappointing choice to me, honestly, because I liked their modern FD this year a lot better than the Don Quijote.

I'm actually more excited to see C/P's flamenco than theirs.

Dobre

Clips of Oona & Gage Brown's exhibition version of their Junior free dance (her assisted lift of him at the end drew big applause) at the Ice Theatre of New York's "Spring Unplugged" show on May 2nd: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw_IL1enHFy/

This post in the U.S. dance thread brought up a question I've been having this past season. I've been wondering if the increased GOE points might create a higher level of reward for reverse lifts than we have seen since IJS came into effect. My mom, who is/was a Parsons fan, was saying mid-season that she really thought Michael and Rachel should just switch the one low lift they had been having difficulty getting much +goe on. That they might really bring it in by reversing the lift.

It seems to me like reverse lifts went out of favor when it became clear that they wouldn't be worth more technical points under IJS than a regular lift; but now that choreographic lifts are an element and the GOE reward from them has proved to be a place-changer for a team like Fear & Gibson (and I suspect made a difference for a few others, maybe Nguyen & Kolesnik?), I wondered if we might see the reverse lifts start bringing in their due. Thoughts?

sharsk8s

This post in the U.S. dance thread brought up a question I've been having this past season. I've been wondering if the increased GOE points might create a higher level of reward for reverse lifts than we have seen since IJS came into effect. My mom, who is/was a Parsons fan, was saying mid-season that she really thought Michael and Rachel should just switch the one low lift they had been having difficulty getting much +goe on. That they might really bring it in by reversing the lift.

It seems to me like reverse lifts went out of favor when it became clear that they wouldn't be worth more technical points under IJS than a regular lift; but now that choreographic lifts are an element and the GOE reward from them has proved to be a place-changer for a team like Fear & Gibson (and I suspect made a difference for a few others, maybe Nguyen & Kolesnik?), I wondered if we might see the reverse lifts start bringing in their due. Thoughts?
For teams that are physically capable of doing it (both the browns and parsons don't have huge physical differences) and it would match the program concept, I say go for it. But don't do it just for the sake of doing it. The Browns lift is very well executed and I really enjoy it, but with so many of the top teams having large height/weight differences I don't see it becoming too common on the senior level, perhaps on the junior level.

Ka3sha

Maybe they want to make a statement that they are the more “Spanish” of the two teams vying for the championship title and Worlds berth.
Don't know if they are trying to make a statement , but it seems that Sara tries to work with Spanish choreographers and musicians as much as possible.
Last year they worked with Iker Karrera, Spanish choreographer , who specializes in contemporary. They are working with Najarro again and also , as far as I understand, use some 'fresh' flamenco music written by David Peña Donates. She also said that one of Spanish fashion designers want to work with H/K on their costumes for the next season.
It's pretty great actually as Spain is still a kind of new place on the figure skating map, and all those talented people probably can bring something new to our favorite sport :)

I think that flamenco is a good choice for them (especially for Sara) , but Spain has such a rich culture, that I just wish they chose something more interesting and different from what we have already seen on the ice.
Just few weeks ago Sara and Kirill said that they were considering skating to soundtrack to one of Pedro Almodovar's movies..
Wishful thinking , but I can easily imagine them skating to something like 'Na Floresta' - Nacho Duet's one-act ballet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information