The Dance Hall 6: We're All Off Our Rockers 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarafan

Didn't they change it for the Olympics?
not sure which competition it was taken out but it was a main one...The first year they introduced the lift it was to great gig in the sky I believe which was not Olympic yr....But I am going totally by memory here....so....

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
not sure which competition it was taken out but it was a main one...The first year they introduced the lift it was to great gig in the sky I believe which was not Olympic yr....But I am going totally by memory here....so....

They first brought the lift out in 2008/2009, but with a step-down dismount-- not the jump Tessa would do the next year. I don't think it was changed all year, based on Canadians, 4CC & Worlds' videos.

The issue, as I recall, with the Mahler version of the lift, was her jump dismount included a revolution before landing. They amended it in time for the Olympics where she'd fall and be caught before being put down. The final version of the lift flowed better, and I believe was more difficult than the slight-axel dismount previously.

kittysk8ts

Yes, it was not long before the Olympics that they changed it to be safe. They used it in it's original form for a season and a half before the OG. It seems unfair but better to hear from the "little birdie" before than after, I suppose.

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
I was just thinking...wouldn't it be interesting if the 4th place finishers at both Euros and 4CC medal at Worlds? Do people still think H/D and SinKats are favorites to medal?
I do, but I feel I must not be in the majority here :lol: Once Katsalapov starts splatting at crucial events, he often never stops, but one can always hope ; and H/D's programs this year are... not my cup of tea to remain polite, but I assume they will want some kind of revenge over this 4th place at 4CC. So they must be working their head off right now. I'm extremely bad at sport forecasts and bets (or at bets in general) anyway, so what I can say or nothing is the same ! And... maybe I just jinxed both couples :2faced:

sharsk8s

I was just thinking...wouldn't it be interesting if the 4th place finishers at both Euros and 4CC medal at Worlds? Do people still think H/D and SinKats are favorites to medal?
I think both have a good chance of medaling if they skate well and get most of their levels. Now the likelihood of that happening is questionable as Nikita tends to falter under pressure and H/D are still having technical issues. I think H/D will medal with decent skates but Sinkats isn't as much of a lock in

sharsk8s

Is this going to be a remake of the worlds 2016 podium with h/d instead of shibs, possible. I think if the russian teams skate decently we will probably see one of them end up on the podium but like 2016 worlds this year is pretty stacked

Colonel Green

As far as the Russian teams, the season hasn’t really resolved the question of which team the Rusfed should be pushing. It looked like things were sewn up for S/K after Nationals, but then Nikita splatted at Europeans to reintroduce some uncertainty into the equation.

I think that whichever of S/K and S/B are ahead after the rhythm dance will receive frantic last-minute boosterism going into the free dance, and the other will take a backseat.

sharsk8s

As far as the Russian teams, the season hasn’t really resolved the question of which team the Rusfed should be pushing. It looked like things were sewn up for S/K after Nationals, but then Nikita splatted at Europeans to reintroduce some uncertainty into the equation.

I think that whichever of S/K and S/B are ahead after the rhythm dance will receive frantic last-minute boosterism going into the free dance, and the other will take a backseat.
I think that may be the only problem for the russian teams but now the american teams too. They have two teams in medal contention and neither is 100% backed by their federation. These worlds results will be important for next season because the team that places higher will likely be seen as the countries #1

starrynight

Having teams all sort of equal hasn't hurt the USA in previous years. It just meant that between the Shibutanis, Hubbell/Donohue and Chock/Bates that they had several shots at the podium. And it worked out well because when one team faltered, the other picked up the medal. Think 2017 Worlds or the 2018 Olympics.

The problem with pushing one team hard to the detriment of the other is that if your 'top' team stuffs up, there isn't always a back up right on their heels.

Dobre

I don't know;).

Gooo, Stepanova & Bukin!

The thing with S&K and H&D is pressure. They are not so hot under pressure. So is that pressure relieved a bit now with their countrymen besting them at Euros/4CCs? Are they going to come into the competition with that chase-rather-than-defend competitive mindset? And can they maintain that mindset regardless of how the scores & placements come out after the RD at Worlds? Or is that pressure--per usual--ramping up for Worlds?

Guess we'll find out.

As far as the Russian teams, the season hasn’t really resolved the question of which team the Rusfed should be pushing.

I think that may be the only problem for the russian teams but now the american teams too.

And the Canadian teams (who have split RD and FD scores in both head-to-heads this season).

Actually, because it is true for all three of these countries this year, I don't really think it's a problem. (Among the contenders--excepting P&C--only the Italians have a firm grip on their #1 berth, which is nice for Guignard & Fabbri considering how long they've waited for it). All these teams are established. Go out & do the job. Placements will fall where they may.

I love that we've come out of 4CCs with more medal contenders than we started with.

Last edited:

deegee

I don’t care how it happens, I just need H&D to keep it together at Worlds. My nerves won’t be able to take a 2017 Worlds or 2018 Oly repeat! Hopefully 4CC was their big mistake for the year and now it’s out of their system.
but wasn't 2017 the year that they had the fall at nats and then followed that up by a fall at worlds? i may be misremembering. (and i'm not wishing this on them, i'm just saying that they have sometimes had more than one major comp in a single season that had big mistakes)

Bigbird

You see because SinKats has no one pushing them in the rink like HD, it is very likely that both Russian teams will skate well and still not make the podium. I just think it's highly possible to have a Gadbois sweep come Saitama Worlds. C/B are very crisp, they have the key points down pat for the RD, P/C would have to splat twice to not make the podium and big Maddie and Zach are gonna muscle this out and take bronze if even by a hair.

sharsk8s

I love p/c and don't want to jinx them but at this point I am genuinely curious how much they would have to screw up to not win. They usually rise to the occasion and compete well under pressure but I feel like it would take them completely bombing both programs to not get the gold.

deegee

I love p/c and don't want to jinx them but at this point I am genuinely curious how much they would have to screw up to not win. They usually rise to the occasion and compete well under pressure but I feel like it would take them completely bombing both programs to not get the gold.
*makes mental note of which post to come back to when the skate gods show you why you shouldn't mess with them*

sharsk8s

Ten points ought to do it. An invalidated footwork sequence, for example (splat early on?).
How does one even invalidate a footwork sequence lol? I think maybe falling on their rotational lift like they did in practice at euros. I get so nervous thinking like this but I know G+G will come out and do great

Debbie S

P/C would probably have to fall at least once in each program, and on a required element, i.e. invalidating the element. And their PCS would also be reduced. But we know that won't happen. ;) Let's think good thoughts, people!

Says a C/B fan who doesn't want to see any more falls, anytime!

Dobre

How does one even invalidate a footwork sequence lol? I think maybe falling on their rotational lift like they did in practice at euros. I get so nervous thinking like this but I know G+G will come out and do great

Their SB is about 10 1/2 points above Chock & Bates's SB from 4CCs. (You figure H&D at least have a potentially higher score than that; but we'll say 10 1/2 points is a good estimate). Footwork sequences are point heavy. P&C pulled in 11.68 for their diagonal step in the FD at Europeans.

Mistakes in a step sequence are very costly; but I can't think of a time when an entire sequence has been invalidated. I have seen step sequences drop down to a level one. An early fall in the diagonal step cost McNamara & Carpenter @ 8.71 at the 2017 U.S. Junior Nationals. This season, we have more possible negative GOE. Level 1 would be more expensive this season with a -5 splat. Here's hoping no one puts it to the test any time soon.

sharsk8s

Can someone explain how the world standing work? They don't really represent which team would likely rank ahead in a head to head competition. h/d are ranked over v/m and p/c although they have never won worlds or beat either team. How does that happen?

Colonel Green

Can someone explain how the world standing work? They don't really represent which team would likely rank ahead in a head to head competition. h/d are ranked over v/m and p/c although they have never won worlds or beat either team. How does that happen?
World standing is points accrued through weighted competition placements over the previous three seasons.

Hubbell and Donohue are ranked ahead because they’ve competed much more so far this season than those other teams (especially Virtue and Moir, who of course have not competed at all since the Olympics).

sharsk8s

World standing is points accrued through weighted competition placements over the previous three seasons.

Hubbell and Donohue are ranked ahead because they’ve competed much more so far this season than those other teams (especially Virtue and Moir, who of course have not competed at all since the Olympics).
Do they take into account if people didn't compete at a certain competition or competed less (such as p/c and c/b missing grand prixs due to injury)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information