The Dance Hall 6: We're All Off Our Rockers 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

VGThuy

@VIETgrlTerifa Depends on who you ask. Those Uber Matrixes I mentioned are not an FSU common ones.

But common enough on Twitter, Tumblr and blogs :)

Thise Uber matrixes came to mind as they are a good example of the complicated web that ice dance weaves. Of course everyone has their own perception.

All the mediums - forums, Twitter, tumblr, Instagram tend to have different feelings. Most ubering doesn’t happen on forums. The real crazy certainly doesn’t. There are Tumblr blogs and Instagram accounts with huge amounts of followers that get I think a lot more participation than the forums do on certain topics.

:eek:

You mean like Tessa Baby Blog?

muffinplus

Weapo performed their RD and FD 30 times before sold out crowds on the TYCT. It may not be competition mileage, but it's a LOT of performance mileage.

I was referring to competition mileage and getting it out in front of the judges...

Some teams will have had 5-6 international competitions total before Worlds, whereas W/P only 2

starrynight

:eek:

You mean like Tessa Baby Blog?

Omg you reminded me of it :lol: I think that blog basically died 4 years ago when Tessa and Scott got social media and it became obviously apparent to anyone that they weren’t married with 3 children. But it was influential back in its day.

Lol I just checked it and I saw this gem
I don’t like you Madison Hubbell. :lol::lol: Now that is an amazing example of the Uber Matrix.

I think that forum users are on the older side - the large teenage base of fans probably isn’t on here paying a subscription. They usually use Twitter, Instagram and Tumblr. They also can tweet etc in rapid streams of consciousness so you know exactly what they think - as opposed to older fans on forums who hold their cards closer to their chests.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Omg you reminded me of it :lol: I think that blog basically died 4 years ago when Tessa and Scott got social media and it became obviously apparent to anyone that they weren’t married with 3 children. But it was influential back in its day.

I don’t like you Madison Hubbell. :lol::lol: Now that is an amazing example of the Uber Matrix.

I think that forum users are on the older side - the large teenage base of fans probably isn’t on here paying a subscription. They usually use Twitter, Instagram and Tumblr. They also can tweet etc in rapid streams of consciousness so you know exactly what they think - as opposed to older fans on forums who hold their cards closer to their chests.

THAT was amazing. Because it was written by an articulate person with the capacity for in-depth analysis, and is still whackdoodle paranoia.

I’m never going anywhere besides FSU. :scream:

Viscaro

Thanks for reminding me of this blog ! This article is excellent. And reading the author trying to dish Hubbell while asserting that H/D are obviously better than P/C (who are, ofc, not even deserving of breathing the same air as V/M) is very entertaining. A very repressed uber matrix indeed.

The comments sections on this blog are even better. You'd think you're in a Cold War era triple agent cover story happening in Panama, with all the stuff they see as a cover story narrative. And of course, the mentions of what "Russians forums" think of programs that had yet to be presented.

VGThuy

I do wonder if they would be a H/D v. P/C rivalry and if so how that would affect allegiances. It seems the fans of both teams have a steady alliance of a sort. Gosh, now I sound like Tessa Baby Blog.

VGThuy

I'm reading that article and comments section for the first time. I didn't know figure skating stan twitter and Tumblr consider those of us who post on message boards as old prudes and hate the message boards.

starrynight

I'm reading that article and comments section for the first time. I didn't know figure skating stan twitter and Tumblr consider those of us who post on message boards as old prudes and hate the message boards.

I just saw a comment where someone told a poster who was defending P/C to ‘go choke on a baguette’. :rofl: If it was intentional humour it would be gold. But I think that they are all deadly serious.

Last edited:

Viscaro

Yeah the « go choke on a baguette » was the best part. It was so out of the blue, it was perfect. I expected the thread of comments to continue to debate on how superior V/M were etc etc but there was only this answer. When you feed the troll sometimes the troll throws your baguette right back at you.

Peepsquick

yeah, well, I'd rather be associated with a bunch of "old prudes" than with the crazzies of the blog! :D
I don't even find them entertaining ... too ugly!

Last edited:

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.

I'm extremely tired today and I don't know if reading that is going to wake me up or make me pass out.

I'm skimming the comments, but I love that the person who wrote "not even the boring old prudes on the skating forums" has deigned to post on FSU. Oh yes they have!

ETA: And this completely accurate take on Torvill and Dean: "T/D can stay mad that they will never have the chemistry, diversity or technicality, massive fanbase, or a massive standing o that V/M have. They should channel all that negative energy they harbour against V/M into something productive like coaching or giving back to the community instead of wasting resources judging on a skating show in the UK that no one watches, lol what a bunch of washed up, ugly, old losers they are."

If I used emojis, I'd use the LOL here right now.

ETA: And of course that same person was the one who said "choke on a baguette." Intentional humor? My guess is oh no.

lauravvv

Here's another good example of the uber matrix.

The most common Uber Matrix Weaver/Poje have got negatively caught up in is the Virtue/Moir one. This is one is where Virtue/Moir are at the top of the matrix and then they don't like W/P for stepping on V/M's territory in Canadian ice dance while they were absent. Hence they back G/P simply so they can beat W/P as retribution. This of course being an abrupt about turn from when the V/M uber matrix seriously disliked G/P because they would beat Paul/Islam who were considered to be disciples of the V/M style. When G/P would beat P/I that was an extension of the judges scoring Davis/White higher than V/M despite V/M's style being 'inherently superior' *breathe*. Back in this time, I don't think W/P factored into that uber matrix because they had not come anywhere near to stepping on V/M's toes.
Even though Virtue/Moir have been my favorite dance team for a long time, I also like/liked both W/P and G/P (liked P/I too, but found them a bit bland in some of their programs - never thought they had what V/M have), P/C and D/W (😲), H/D, Shibutanis and, this season, C/B. And, yes, I like both S/K and S/B. Liked C/L and quite like G/F too, although I do find some of their programs a bit boring and enhanced only by their skating and performance. Not to mention other, "lower level" teams (returning to Canadian teams, I like both Soucisse/Firus and F-B/S :)). What say you to that :D?

Honestly, I am not saying that I like all these teams equally, but, apart from V/M being my favorites, the order of those teams in my "top" tends to change based on their programs each season. Well, perhaps W/P and P/C (and, during the last seasons, also S/S) have been kind of constants based on their kind of chemistry, performance, interpretation, approach to skating in general and/or on their skills (ss and other) etc.., rather than based primarily on their programs. On the other hand, G/P have been a constant exactly based on their programs.

Dobre

I was referring to competition mileage and getting it out in front of the judges...

Some teams will have had 5-6 international competitions total before Worlds, whereas W/P only 2

I acknowledge that this is true and could ultimately be a factor in readiness for this season. This is a new quadrennium with a lot of new rules and requirements. I acknowledge also that Weaver & Poje have 12 seasons worth of international senior-level competitions and judging feedback which just might balance out missing one GP season. They don't have to be podium-ready yet. They just have to be there by Worlds. It would be mighty helpful to be ready now. And, for them, I think rather pivotal to be very strong at 4CCs.

For G&P, I'd say Nationals is the pivotal remaining event. For W&P, I'd say 4CCs.

mollymgr

Umm that’s not an example of the Uber matrix. It is an example of the twilight zone.:p

Orm Irian

OMG that article is hilarious and cherry blossom is full of shit because it posted here and on golden skate under multiple usernames :rofl:

Torvill and Dean are going to fade into obscurity guys :rofl:

Oh lord, I remember cherryblossom. Talk about batshit, not to mention borderline incoherent!

What is it about ice dance that attracts the kind of stans that are completely detached from reality? I don't know any singles skater stans who go that far, and pairs fans are so sedate and respectable by comparison that they can't even be called stans at all...

Spun Silver

Oh lord, I remember cherryblossom. Talk about batshit, not to mention borderline incoherent!

What is it about ice dance that attracts the kind of stans that are completely detached from reality? I don't know any singles skater stans who go that far, and pairs fans are so sedate and respectable by comparison that they can't even be called stans at all...
Have you forgotten the Yunabot and Maofan wars? (I am biased but it seemed the Yuna crowd was kookier.)

starrynight

It’s so subjective that’s why.

Just watching the play by plays here is telling.

One person will be: Omg I have chills, that was mesmerising like floating butter clouds skating through thin air like fairy floss and redefining art as we know it :cheer2::cheer::glamor:

And the next will be like: that was boring. I felt nothing. This should come in 10th. God they are slow. I hate that music. :shuffle::shuffle::blah::rolleyes:

Also the judging is inescapably political and biased.

Last edited:

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
The only team I can't like is Katsalapov. I just can't. He's talented, but I can't. He has crushed one of the most talented ice dancing team ever on earth. I still miss I&K.
But I'll give him that this season's RD is probably his best ever OD / SD / RD. The FD is not on the same level, and IMO, Vika will never ever be as good as Elena.

Oh well.

I so wish H&D had two decent programs. Let's hope the revamping will convince me more by US nationals, because IMO they've wasted their silver of last season on those.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
THAT was amazing. Because it was written by an articulate person with the capacity for in-depth analysis, and is still whackdoodle paranoia.

It's actually a shame, because Sekret Baby Blog does have the capacity to do thoughtful dance analysis. They've made rational arguments before about assessing difficulty in lifts and twizzle sequences that I find at least interesting. It's too bad they're biased as ****.

Tumblr is light on analysis and heavy on immature fangirling, but the gifs can be useful. I like seeing side-by-side comparisons of technical elements. Now, it also allows bloggers like Sekret Baby Blog to cherry pick unflattering 20s clips to support their opinions and confirm their biases.

Bigbird

The only team I can't like is Katsalapov. I just can't. He's talented, but I can't. He has crushed one of the most talented ice dancing team ever on earth. I still miss I&K.
But I'll give him that this season's RD is probably his best ever OD / SD / RD. The FD is not on the same level, and IMO, Vika will never ever be as good as Elena.

Oh well.

I so wish H&D had two decent programs. Let's hope the revamping will convince me more by US nationals, because IMO they've wasted their silver of last season on those.

You've gone a tad off the rails love, we're all about the uber matrix reality right now. I mean come on, there are so many other objective reasons to not really dig them, man. Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information