The Dance Hall 6: We're All Off Our Rockers 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseRed

It's a shame for fans of the sport when Federation squabbles result in skaters' careers ending.

I get that it's a lot for federations to let skaters go. But it's a shame when there's no available partners of a comparable standard for a skater in their own country and they are forced to retire.

A lot of great partnerships have come from dancers or pairs changing countries. Skating is also a very global sport so for many of us (unless you're from one of the big 3 skating nations I guess), the flag that a team skates under doesn't really matter a lot.
I wonder what happened to that American partner she was skating with in the summer.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
I wonder what happened to that American partner she was skating with in the summer.

As Angelique explained in her post, she is not interested in just being a recreational skater.
With this American partner, she'd have just been a recreational skater, as his technical level was not high enough to be competitive at the international level. The FFSG agreed his level was not high enough, that is why they split.

Bigbird

As Angelique explained in her post, she is not interested in just being a recreational skater.
With this American partner, she'd have just been a recreational skater, as his technical level was not high enough to be competitive at the international level. The FFSG agreed his level was not high enough, that is why they split.
But she's only 18 right? So its either Drozd or bust? What has she accomplished so far to make that sort of ultimatum?

Avonley and partner came out of nowhere right? She's only 18. Sounds too much like a spoiled diva to me.

Nmsis

Someday, I want a podium with Charlene Guignard, Tiffany Zahorski and Gabriella Papadakis on it.
A surreal retake on France's junior ice dance podiums 2008-2011.
The survivor :EVILLE:, the phoenix :gallopin1 and the queen :glamor: .

Now when I see this 2008 picture, I so caption it as Charlene saying : "so WHO took the best option on the eve of Gabriella and Guillaume's first appearance outside of France ? THIS LADY !!!":encore: to Benoit Richaud and Neil Brown.

kittysk8ts

But she's only 18 right? So its either Drozd or bust? What has she accomplished so far to make that sort of ultimatum?

Avonley and partner came out of nowhere right? She's only 18. Sounds too much like a spoiled diva to me.
Gosh, I don’t know. That’s one heck of a commitment to have to make on a wing and a prayer that you get to actually compete someday. I take your point, just not sure it’s as simple as that. Seems more like an informed decision to me. IMHO, of course. It’s disappointing, for sure.

C

casken

I just tried to catch up on the SA RD, but couldn't make it all the way through any of them. Dull, dull, dull.

And some of those Tango Romantica sequences were just :scream:

angi

Can we talk about Nazarov/Nikitin? It seems like they lost a lot of their abilities over the summer, they are a technical mess, this is the second time they are getting only base level for the Tango pattern and having a lot of timing issues with the key points, and their Nebelhorn skates were also disastrous. I know their coaching situation changes but have they battled an injury or something? They just seem bad this season...

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Can we talk about Nazarov/Nikitin? It seems like they lost a lot of their abilities over the summer, they are a technical mess, this is the second time they are getting only base level for the Tango pattern and having a lot of timing issues with the key points, and their Nebelhorn skates were also disastrous. I know their coaching situation changes but have they battled an injury or something? They just seem bad this season...
I asked in the K&C thread but I believe I read somewhere in this forum they are struggling with their coaching situation due to financial issue. Maybe someone could confirm/elaborate. But I have the same feeling about the regression of their skating. Really sad because they are an out-of-the-box type of team who could have stood out.

aftershocks

Banned Member
A good showing by Lorraine & Quinn, who are improving leaps and bounds. That's exciting to see. It's nice for Tiff & Jonathan that they pulled out the bronze medal. Apparently, Tiff has been suffering from a knee injury and they didn't have as much training time, plus they were last minute replacements at SA. It looked like Tiff breathed a sigh of relief they didn't drop to 4th overall. Their fd by Chris Dean is fun to watch, and has a lot of innovative moves, but they still need to fine-tune and polish up their delivery. This is a nice start to the season for them.

I would imagine that Lorraine & Quinn are extremely happy for finishing 3rd in fd by a small margin and only 1 point off the podium overall. They should just continue focusing on themselves and putting out these wonderful performances. And kudos to Madi & Zach. Wow, this Romeo & Juliet program is completely reworked and has moved up a number of notches, and feels more like them than what we saw in their first outing in Salt Lake City this summer. I'm impressed, but not surprised. :encore: Hub/Don are badass talented!

Bigbird

I really love Z/G free program. The short program is not bad either. They really have 2 excellent vehicles this season :love:and their skating skills are top.

I have to disagree a bit here their programs are quite good, but their edges can be quite scratchy you can still see that the programs are new especially the free dance. But I do hope they're able to polish them by nationals. If you plan to skate to Blues for Klook you have to have DiceK type smoothness and control. But I hope they can address these issues within the course of the season.

Edit: Apologies to their fans though, I just watched the FD with Tanith White's commentary. I had not realized how little time they've actually had to prepare their programs. I hope Tiffany can really heal up well.

Last edited:

kittysk8ts

Nice to finally kick off the GP series. I liked all the teams but the highlight of the ID at SA for me was Fear/Gibson. Their TR pattern not so much, but the rest of the RD and the FD just fabulous and full of life.

And then of course, both programs from H/D.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
Not at all, but I know he's unpopular with a lot of people so whatever.
It would. Zhulin gets bored. He takes care of his skaters for some months, then all is gone in his own world and he goes to his next project.
The skaters not regressing under him are the ones who have outside help, ask Nikita, ask Bobrova.

nuge

I just couldn't get U/Z out of my head while watching Z/G. Nobody can get the smooth passionate sultryness of BFK like U/Z. Nice FD for them though but I preferred M/C FD.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
M&C isn't a dance. It's a nothing program. They achieve elements after elements without any relation to anything. Which in itself is commandable.

Dean's choreo on the other hand is spot on. The sultry side / angsty side will come when they really have time to gel the program. In such a short time, what they did was already good. Give them the lost 2 months and you'll see what I mean.

Am I the only one remembering Deniaud&Jaffreido BfK FD ? It was also a very good one.

VGThuy

YES. IMO that was even better than Usova and Zhulin.

I think I'm biased but I never liked U/Z's "Blues for Klook" program. I mean it was fun and the shapes were nice, but I thought it was just empty somehow and I didn't like their interpretation of it. Maybe it's because I'm in love with Grishuk/Platov's "St. James Infirmary" FD. I know it's a darker blues than what U/Z were doing but I just thought G/P did it better and had a much better program.

barbarafan

I asked in the K&C thread but I believe I read somewhere in this forum they are struggling with their coaching situation due to financial issue. Maybe someone could confirm/elaborate. But I have the same feeling about the regression of their skating. Really sad because they are an out-of-the-box type of team who could have stood out.

I love this team...From what I have read so far they have gone back to Ukraine to train..(bourzat is no longer at Igor's I believe) It seems there is no coach and fiances seem to be the problem as well.

Emerald66

It would. Zhulin gets bored. He takes care of his skaters for some months, then all is gone in his own world and he goes to his next project.
The skaters not regressing under him are the ones who have outside help, ask Nikita, ask Bobrova.
Uh, because of him B/S won a world bronze. Nikita and Elena left because they weren't taking training seriously. Nikita is back with him again fyi. I somewhat agree with Zhulin getting lazy at least when it comes to the programs. (2014 is a good example) Also a lot of coaches get outside help so don't get why you brought that up. Anyway, I still think N/N should go back to him because he gave them better material that showcased their strengths and could improve Alexandra's basics like he did Katya.

sap5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information