The Dance Hall 5: Ice Dance Fans 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

skategal

Bunny mama
Even when you do live in Denmark, it's still very difficult to get citizenship.

IIRC, they asked for an exemption from the gov't of Denmark to allow a path for citizenship and were denied.

He should have no problem getting Canadian citizenship. So if their goal is Olympics, they should definitely switch.

Dobre

You need 9 years of permanent residence in Denmark. Which we know will not happen. In CAN they are already a team with similar international scores to G&P and could get the bonus of being Marie-France and Patrice top canadian team.

I don't know about Gilles & Poirier.

But Fournier-Beaudry & Sorenson are very competitive scorewise with Soucisse & Firus. And F-B&S have a great deal more experience, both together & internationally. There is no reason Fournier-Beaudry & Sorenson couldn't be competitive with them and Lajoie & Lagha. Not everyone in Canada will get to the Olympics. (And Carreira & Ponomarenko are not completely off the table). Missing a season--especially an Olympic turnover season when you could be climbing the ranks--is rough. It gives other athletes the chance to prove & establish themselves. And facing Nationals judges as an athlete switching from another country is no easy battle. It would be a fight. But, IMO, F-B&S have the goods to get in it.

There would be no guaranteed major international berths as there are in Denmark. And as far as I can tell, Canada doesn't send its teams to more than two Challenger events. But Canada does have home berths available at Skate Canada. They have the host-country ability to barter for other GP spots. They have a spot at 4CCs. The field at 4CCs isn't as deep as Europeans if you can make the Canadian team.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
Because you have to live in Denmark. And she can't live in Denmark because there are no strong ice dance coaches in Denmark.
Even when you do live in Denmark, it's still very difficult to get citizenship.

IIRC, they asked for an exemption from the gov't of Denmark to allow a path for citizenship and were denied.

He should have no problem getting Canadian citizenship. So if their goal is Olympics, they should definitely switch.

The problem is not just living in Denmark because of coaches, but even if they marry there is no guarantee they can live in Denmark. To obtain residency for a spouse, they couple has to show that their 'combined total connection to Denmark' is greater than that to any other country. This makes it extremely hard for Danes who meet their spouses abroad to move to Denmark.
She might be able to get a separate residency based on her own skills, and they might be able to claim attachment by having represented Denmark, but I will not count on it.

I don't think they asked for a citizenship fast track - they asked the IOC for an exemption.

They probably knew she wouldn't get that. Remember that Wilson Kipketer in (EDIT) 1996, was pretty much a guaranteed gold medal in 800m, and he was training in Denmark, had attended university in Denmark and lived there many years with his Danish wife. He didn't get fast tracked.

Last edited:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Remember that Wilson Kipketer in 2000 or 2004 was pretty much a guaranteed gold medal in 800m, and he was training in Denmark, had attended university in Denmark and lived there many years with his Danish wife. He didn't get fast tracked.

It was 1996. He won silver in 2000 which ten years after he took up residency in Denmark.

Dobre

So, Canada is actually still deep in dance talent with V&M's departure? I thought their return would result in a complete collapse. I welcome the Danes.

Canada has talent, but there aren't any teams left with longevity together outside of Weaver & Poje, Gilles & Poirier, and Lajoie & Lagha. That's why there is room for someone to move in or switch back. And Fournier-Beaudry & Sorenson hit a brick wall in Denmark so now they have a reason they might wish to do so. It's just speculation.

skategal

Bunny mama
The problem is not just living in Denmark because of coaches, but even if they marry there is no guarantee they can live in Denmark. To obtain residency for a spouse, they couple has to show that their 'combined total connection to Denmark' is greater than that to any other country. This makes it extremely hard for Danes who meet their spouses abroad to move to Denmark.
She might be able to get a separate residency based on her own skills, and they might be able to claim attachment by having represented Denmark, but I will not count on it.

I don't think they asked for a citizenship fast track - they asked the IOC for an exemption.

They probably knew she wouldn't get that. Remember that Wilson Kipketer in (EDIT) 1996, was pretty much a guaranteed gold medal in 800m, and he was training in Denmark, had attended university in Denmark and lived there many years with his Danish wife. He didn't get fast tracked.

I think asking the IOC for an exemption was the last thing they tried.

Here is an interview with them from 2017 European Championships where they talk about the Olympics (about half way down) and that the skating federation has tried various different avenues to enable them to compete in PyeongChang.

They express being very upset at not being able to go to Olympics so I can see why they may switch especially if they feel that they have exhausted all options to compete for Denmark in 2022.

http://www.insideskating.net/2017/0...nikolaj-sorensen-were-in-it-for-the-long-haul

Finnice

I spoke with Laurence and Nikolaj in Finlandia Trophy (Oct. 2017) and they were disappointed about not being able to compete at the Olympics. His parents were,too. His father has done a lot for the Danish figure skating, but the laws are tight.

They are also a couple off-ice,and seem to be very determined with their career.
As much as I love to talk about "The Danes" as support an ice dance couple from a small country, I hope they will find the best solution to fullfill the Olympic dream. I like their dancing style, and after a couple of conversations with them, appreciate them a lot as persons.

Anyasnake

Seen on twitter

http://www.danskate.dk/nyheder/isdanserne-flytter-til-canada/

."Ice dancers Laurence Fournier Beaudry & Nikolaj Sørensen, who have represented DEN since 2013, will represent Canada in the future. Danish Skating Union's board decided on Tuesday evening at an extraordinary meeting to back up the wishes of the dancers."
YES !!!
Perfect Timing, they can go to 4CC next year and Worlds next year too ! :biggrinbo:cheer2:

Edit : Wait, what about Canadian Nationals ? :confused::eek:

Bigbird

I was personally okay with the "vague interpretation" because the whole FD lasted for about 1 min. To me. Sign of a good program... I'm always praising Anna Karenina which was amazing but they were spot on with this year's FD. I wish they had a better SD.
I agree with you about the SD but given Punsalon and Swallows use of Oblivion Tango and just Bobrova's poor posture, I just find the FD odd. They are impressive in terms of their technical abilities at times at other times sloppy, especially the knee lift, but they don't draw me in as they have no natural charisma. I thought Crazy and Anna Karenina were much better FDs for them.

clairecloutier

I definitely think it's a good move for FB/S to switch to Canada. I suppose that G/P, S/F, and L/L may not be completely thrilled with the decision .... but hopefully it helps all the teams to have a higher level of competition??? And FB/S will definitely have much more political support in Canada.

@Dobre Do you have :sekret: in suggesting that Carreira/Ponomarenko might switch to Canada? Or are you just saying it's a possibility due to her being Canadian?

Dobre

I definitely think it's a good move for FB/S to switch to Canada. I suppose that G/P, S/F, and L/L may not be completely thrilled with the decision .... but hopefully it helps all the teams to have a higher level of competition??? And FB/S will definitely have much more political support in Canada.

@Dobre Do you have :sekret: in suggesting that Carreira/Ponomarenko might switch to Canada? Or are you just saying it's a possibility due to her being Canadian?

No. Absolutely not. I'm hoping Carreira & Ponomarenko stay put.

I just think that if you are a dance team planning your future by switching into Canadian ice dance, you should go in with your eyes open enough to see beyond the current scenario and recognize any other possibilities.

binbinwinwin

Do the TES minimums carry over to other countries? Or will they have to earn it again? If they have to earn it again I don't think they can go to 4CCs because you need to earn it 21 days before the competition. They can definitely make it for Worlds though.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
Good move from the ex-Danes. While it may be harder at the beginning to get international assignments, it seems the only way to have a shot at 2022.
So Gadbois will have them, Soucisse/Firus and Lajoie/Lagha (I guess they are going senior?), going for the same spots.

Anyasnake

Good move from the ex-Danes. While it may be harder at the beginning to get international assignments, it seems the only way to have a shot at 2022.
So Gadbois will have them, Soucisse/Firus and Lajoie/Lagha (I guess they are going senior?), going for the same spots.
Mind blown. Internal competition in the same center as if this year wasn't enough. Marie-France would want to retire after 2022 at this point :lol:
Them + Gilles/Poirier = 4 potential teams to Beijing 2022. Too early to call. FB/S are not always rewarded but sometimes shaky on important elements too. If their programs next year are half as good as the ones this year, they'll be a massive threat.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
Canadian-Danes have been underscored for the past couple of season IMO. Yes, they are not super consistent, but if they come back stronger next season and have the backing/politicks of a stronger Fed, their breakthrough could finally arrive. On paper they do have the goods.

arakwafan2006

No. Absolutely not. I'm hoping Carreira & Ponomarenko stay put.

I just think that if you are a dance team planning your future by switching into Canadian ice dance, you should go in with your eyes open enough to see beyond the current scenario and recognize any other possibilities.

Igor is turning them into Chock and Bates. They need to go SOMEWHERE. it won’t happen though. Klimova and Shpilband are loyal to one another.

Ohyes

Gadbois certainly have their handful of talent. You have the Danes turned Canadians, vm who said the are leaving their door open possibly for one more worlds, P/C, Marjorie and Zachary who have major potential, H/D and S/F. Gadbois is the eteri and Brian of ice dance hahaha

Sylvia

TBD
Announcement from NISA (ignore the "Synchronised" in the headline): http://www.iceskating.org.uk/index....ating-championships-2018-selection-amendment/
Following a very successful outcome at the PyeongChang2018 Olympic Winter Games, Penny and Nick will not be taking part in the World Championships next month in order to give Penny the opportunity to fully rehabilitate her knee.
This means Lilah Fear and Lewis Gibson are selected as NISA / GBR representatives for Ice Dance. Lilah and Lewis also achieved the Olympic Winter Games qualifying score and are relishing the opportunity to compete on the World stage following very successful recent performances in Bavaria and Torun.
Nick and Penny, and the rest of NISA, wish Lilah and Lewis all the very best!
Thanks to @victorskid for posting the news and link in the Kiss & Cry section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information