The 77th Golden Globes - Red Carpet & Awards Ceremony

screech

Does anyone else find Tiffany Haddish to be A LOT?
Salma Hayek often wears some... interesting... things (which is bad, since her hubby runs the company that owns all the major fashion brands), but tonight she looks STUNNING!

screech

Lol that they just happened to be on Jennifer Aniston when Brad mentioned dating. (Seriously people, it's been 15 years since they broke up!!)
Also, he didn't mention his kids... guess it's not Angelina keeping the kids away from him...

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
Further Winners:-

Best director
Sam Mendes (1917)

Best actress in a limited series or TV movie
Michelle Williams (Fosse/Verdon)

Best limited series or TV movie
Chernobyl

Best score
Hildur Guðnadóttir - Joker

Best supporting actor in a film
Brad Pitt (Once Upon A Time in Hollywood)

Best actor in a musical or comedy film
Taron Egerton - Rocketman

Best actress in a musical or comedy film
Awkwafina (The Farewell)

screech

Once Upon A Time also isn't a comedy... kinda makes no sense how the HFPA categorizes things. I remember Matt Damon being kind of flabbergasted when he won Comedy actor for The Martian.

Allskate

Once Upon A Time also isn't a comedy... kinda makes no sense how the HFPA categorizes things. I remember Matt Damon being kind of flabbergasted when he won Comedy actor for The Martian.

Yeah, but at least Matt Damon's character had some funny lines. I agree that Once Upon a Time is not a comedy. Also, it had some great acting, but it dragged for me. I've never really understood the appeal of Tarantino films, though. I much preferred Knives Out and Rocket Man.

screech

Yeah, but at least Matt Damon's character had some funny lines. I agree that Once Upon a Time is not a comedy. Also, it had some great acting, but it dragged for me. I've never really understood the appeal of Tarantino films, though. I much preferred Knives Out and Rocket Man.
I normally love Tarantino films, but just couldn't get into Once Upon A Time.
I also preferred Knives Out.

Congrats to Joaquin! I think this was the toughest category of the night, between him, Adam Driver, and Antonio Banderas.
I've wanted Joaquin to win things ever since Gladiator. When he has his best performances (Gladiator, Walk the Line...) his brilliant performances get overshadowed by his costars (Russell Crowe, Reese Witherspon). He's a bit of a weirdo, but there's no denying his talent.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Happy for Awkwafina! That was definitely a drama with some funny lines in it, though. For an actual comedy, I wish Beanie Feldstein had gotten it for Booksmart (that never would have happened, I know)

Bummed for Eddie Murphy. He was great in Dolomite.

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
The films with most wins this far are

1. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood - 3
2= Joker - 2
Rocketman - 2

The TV shows with most wins were Fleabag, Succession, and Chernobyl on 2 a piece

Last edited:

screech

Best actress in a drama movie
Renee Zellweger (Judy)
I never noticed how strong Renee's Texas accent is.
Amazing that they gave her only about 45 seconds to speak before they started playing her off, but Joaquin, Michelle, etc, got many minutes each.

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
Best drama film

The films with most wins were

1. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood - 3
2= Joker - 2
Rocketman - 2
1917 - 2

Last edited:

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
Last year Green Book beat Roma by 3 - 2 in terms of wins, and it went on to win the Oscar for best picture despite Roma being the favourite. Hence, this can only boost the chances of Once Upon A Time In Hollywood at the Oscars which won the most awards this year

The big loser of the night was The Irishman - it won nothing!

Last edited:

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
Ricky Gervais was great tonight!

The best gag of the night: “You're in no position to lecture the public about anything. You know nothing about the real world. Most of you spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg.“

Followed by: “Well, you say you're woke, but the companies you work for...unbelievable. Apple, Amazon, Disney. If ISIS started a streaming service, you would call your agent, wouldn't you?"

Followed by: “Apple roared into the TV game with The Morning Show, a superb drama about the importance of dignity and doing the right thing, made by a company that runs sweatshops in China."

Last edited:

Glide2

Thus far my favourite dress I've seen is Ana de Armas. Simple and classic, but oh so sparkly! Also surprising that Elton was the subdued one, with his hubby being flashy.

Unfortunately don't love Jennifer Lopez' dress. Looks like a Christmas present.

ETA Also love Saoirse Ronan's dress. Looks like fashionable chainmail.
agree with the three above. also loving Jennifer Aniston on stage presenting in Dior Haute Couture, Kaitlyn Dever in Valentino, Margot Robie in Chanel Haute Couture, Laura Dern looked great in Saint Laurent while accepting her award, and loving the earrings worn by Taylor Swift. Renee Zelw. photographs VERY toned.

VGThuy

Bleh, that's supposed to be funny?

I preferred the LA Times’ take on this:

But at the Beverly Hilton, where the three-hour-plus ceremony took place, the mood was already somber thanks to an impeachment, the threat of war with Iran and devastating bush fires in Australia.

The last thing anyone needed was for the smirking master of ceremonies to reprimand them for having hope, or taunt the room for trying to use their influence to change things for the better.

Almost immediately, however, it became clear Gervais wasn’t the funniest guy in the room at the 77th Golden Globes — and he wasn’t running the show, either.

His jab at the hypocrisy of Hollywood also resonated: “Apple roared into the TV game with ‘The Morning Show,’ a superb drama about the importance of dignity and doing the right thing, made by a company that runs sweatshops in China,” he said of the new entrant to streaming TV. “Well, you say you’re woke, but the companies you work for in China — unbelievable. Apple, Amazon, Disney. If ISIS started a streaming service you’d call your agent, wouldn’t you?”

The commentary would have meant far more if Gervais himself had been brave enough to drop the tired agitator shtick and, for once, read the room.

I also agree with Mark Harris:

Here's my Ricky Gervais problem: The idea that celebrities are not only pampered babies but hypocrites who cause the problems they make speeches deploring and should therefore shut up and act/sing/be grateful is a right-wing talking point, and an especially stupid one. >

It's not an act of speaking truth to power or of bravery to attack celebs on that front--it's a tired way of scolding people into silence because you don't like what they're saying, and saying that he's "calling out" the hyperprivileged is just the same thing in a new guise. >

You'll never go broke ending a night scowling at celebrities and saying, "Get drunk, do your drugs, **** off," which I think were his last words on the show. There will always be people to say, "Yeah! You tell 'em!" But tell 'em what? "**** off" isn't a stance. It's a tantrum. >

Anyway: There were celebrities who used their stage time to say valuable things coherently last night, and others who said valuable things incoherently, and others who talked about themselves. I don't think yelling at any of them is of great interest. Peace.

Honestly, if we just care about hypocrisy then NOBODY should say anything including all the people applauding him, which is probably what those in power who want celebrities to shut up and sing would love. Keep talking about “pleasant” things and be less politically engaged.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
PIERS MORGAN: “Ricky Gervais delivered a glorious kick in the globes to Hollywood's woke virtue-signalling hypocrites - and exposed them as a bunch of shameless two-faced charlatans

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
PIERS MORGAN: “Ricky Gervais delivered a glorious kick in the globes to Hollywood's woke virtue-signalling hypocrites - and exposed them as a bunch of shameless two-faced charlatans
:rolleyes:

I doubt anyone left the event feeling abused or being shell-shocked. Ricky Gervais isn't funny and his opening monologue was stupid. Politics is life and everyone should talk about it more, not less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information