Sinéad O’Connor RIP

manhn

Oh no. I had watched the documentary a few months ago, and I really forgot how ahead of her time she was. Her stand on the Catholic Church, her protests of the Gulf War, her support of black activists. And journalists back in the 80s are just gross. RIP.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
She was always a legend to me, and now there is no pain and she is with her son once again.

RIP, Sinead O'Connor.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!

PeterG

Morrissey Slams Sinead O’Connor Tributes: ‘You Praise Her Now Only Because It Is Too Late’

“She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong,” Morrissey wrote. “You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you.”

The article mentioned other actions taken by O'Connor:

• she refused to be the musical guest on Saturday Night Live when the host was misogynist comic Andrew Dice Clay
  • she stopped a New Jersey concert hall from playing the U.S. National Anthem before her concert as she felt national anthems had nothing to do with musical concerts (my guess is she was opposing nationalism as a concept as well?)
  • in 1991, she boycotted the Grammy Awards to protest the Gulf War (as did Public Enemy)

These actions were taken before the ripping of the photograph of the Pope on Saturday Night Live.

Morrissey goes on to say:

“Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O’Connor is dead? Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t”

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none

The sad thing is that this was not even close to a unique occurrence. I could have written those words. One for the priest at mass, another for the religion teacher at school, and a third for a school administrator, all of whom felt the need to make Sinead O'Connor public enemy number one. There were doubtlessly more.

Her protest was so big and so explosive that it was the topic of everything, from the dinner table, to Sunday mass, to religion class. Ironically, the "trusted adults" who felt the need to publicly denounce her ended up amplifying her message so that it made it to young me, who wasn't allowed to watch Saturday Night Live and wouldn't have known about it otherwise. I knew she was right, even at age 12.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
The sad thing is that this was not even close to a unique occurrence. I could have written those words. One for the priest at mass, another for the religion teacher at school, and a third for a school administrator, all of whom felt the need to make Sinead O'Connor public enemy number one. There were doubtlessly more.

Her protest was so big and so explosive that it was the topic of everything, from the dinner table, to Sunday mass, to religion class. Ironically, the "trusted adults" who felt the need to publicly denounce her ended up amplifying her message so that it made it to young me, who wasn't allowed to watch Saturday Night Live and wouldn't have known about it otherwise. I knew she was right, even at age 12.
I worked for the Catholic church as a teacher in their private schools for two years. That's not exactly much, but here we go:
One of the (arch?)bishops was involved in the cover-up scandal of another clergyman molesting and abusing children for years and the school's "own" priest was a closeted gay alcoholic who would go after young male junkies who offered their bodies in exchange for money and would bring them into the church for the "action".
One of my former assistant principals there was also a horrible person for all kinds of reasons (like literally bullying people into early graves, treating everyone like shit, stealing food from the pupils etc.), but the kids often complained about him touching their backs randomly or entering the dressing room without warning before their PE lessons. AFAIK he is now on sick leave hopefully forever because he has done enough damage.

When I heard about Sinéad O'Connor and her protest for the first time only recently, I didn't doubt her for a second.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
When I heard about Sinéad O'Connor and her protest for the first time only recently, I didn't doubt her for a second.
Well, 30 years ago she was vilified by the entire media for what she did and said and they whipped up so much hysteria that she was booed at public appearances. Copies of her CDs were smashed in public (which I always think is a dumb form of protest because you have to buy the CD to smash it and put money in the musician’s pocket). Until her death she was banned from appearing on Saturday Night Live and NBC. If they had any decency they would issue an apology.

This is what happens when people, especially young women, have an opinion that the establishment don’t like. Same things being said about Greta Thunberg and others now are exactly what was said about Sinéad O’Connor three decades ago.

chantilly

maybe I’m misreading or misinterpreting his comments but it sounds like Morissey is saying she took her own life. Or perhaps, she was so vilified she self medicated or her mental illness took its toll on her body, mind and spirit?
I wouldn’t be surprised if she did. Or if she just had too many demons to fight and her spirit gave out and her body followed.
I have no idea if there are any studies regarding the physical toll on the body with a serious mental health issue, but I can imagine a serious mental health issues takes a serious toll on the body.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
maybe I’m misreading or misinterpreting his comments but it sounds like Morissey is saying she took her own life. Or perhaps, she was so vilified she self medicated or her mental illness took its toll on her body, mind and spirit?
I wouldn’t be surprised if she did. Or if she just had too many demons to fight and her spirit gave out and her body followed.
I have no idea if there are any studies regarding the physical toll on the body with a serious mental health issue, but I can imagine a serious mental health issues takes a serious toll on the body.
I agree with you, but let's wait for an official announcement by her family or a coroner.

Desperado

I remember the SNL show. I thought it was a bit much at the time, but after having heard so many horror stories of abuse from Catholic church members in my area I knew she was right and was surprised by how many people were going the “one bad apple, JPll is great” route.

Also, Bono would’ve done it and might’ve been chastised a bit for it, but would’ve gone on.

The misogyny based hatred thrown her way and how long it lasted was vile.

Morrissey Slams Sinead O’Connor Tributes: ‘You Praise Her Now Only Because It Is Too Late’

The article mentioned other actions taken by O'Connor:

• she refused to be the musical guest on Saturday Night Live when the host was misogynist comic Andrew Dice Clay
  • she stopped a New Jersey concert hall from playing the U.S. National Anthem before her concert as she felt national anthems had nothing to do with musical concerts (my guess is she was opposing nationalism as a concept as well?)
  • in 1991, she boycotted the Grammy Awards to protest the Gulf War (as did Public Enemy)

These actions were taken before the ripping of the photograph of the Pope on Saturday Night Live.

Morrissey goes on to say:

He is SO right. It doesn’t matter how her life ended, she deserved tons more public and private support than she received. And yes, I do think many are doing it now only because it’s seen as appropriate and will give them likes on social media.

It rarely pays to be ahead of one’s time. 💔

Jenny

From the Bloc
I have to admit that I didn't know what was behind the SNL incident. I remember it for sure, but always had the impression it was just her being controversial, another in a series of somewhat odd statements and actions. Can't be specific, just an impression as I recall when she got so famous so fast she was everywhere, and had a lot of opinions that I wrote off as just another young adult who thinks they've got it all figured out (not a diss, I count my younger self among those ranks) and someone who thinks their thoughts somehow matter more because they are a celebrity.

So very, very wrong I know, especially as I read in this thread and everywhere else the number of times when she was boldly speaking the truth when no one else would. Add another one to the list: when her first child was born, I recall an interview (and a very touching video featuring him as a toddler) in which she denounced all the hormones that Americans especially were putting into meat. It was years before I started reading more about the ways our food is tampered with so carelessly and in detriment to our health and our planet, not to mention the treatment of animals, and she was right then too.

One can only hope that others who speak out in future will be more heard than she was.

I've enjoyed her music from the beginning, and this is my favourite song of hers, a more recent one, the theme from the movie Young Victoria called Only One.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I remember the SNL incident and while I didn't know why she was ripping up a picture of the Pope, I was and am no fan of the Catholic Church as an institution, so I had no issue with her doing it and thought all the outrage about it was pretty pathetic. I mean it was just a picture. She didn't shoot him. Or tell other people to hurt him.

Some people just don't like it when others rock the boat and will get up in arms about pretty much anything that does.

PeterG

From O'Connor's memoir, Rememberings, writing about Lou Reed:

O’Connor goes on to tell the story about a TV show she and Reed appeared on in London, a kind of round-robin live music show. No one would look at O’Connor, because “the fashion was to treat me like a crazy person, a pariah, because of what I did on ‘SNL.’” Reed, when he came to the dress rehearsal, made a huge point of ignoring absolutely everybody in the room except O’Connor. “He makes it his business to find me, hangs on to me. He hugs me demonstratively warmly as if we know each other really well. It was a really sweet thing to do because he didn’t have to do that, and it changed the way everybody in there reacted to me… I’ve had a very soft spot in my heart for Mr. Lou Reed ever since and I think about him quite a lot.”

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Well, 30 years ago she was vilified by the entire media for what she did and said and they whipped up so much hysteria that she was booed at public appearances. Copies of her CDs were smashed in public (which I always think is a dumb form of protest because you have to buy the CD to smash it and put money in the musician’s pocket). Until her death she was banned from appearing on Saturday Night Live and NBC. If they had any decency they would issue an apology.

This is what happens when people, especially young women, have an opinion that the establishment don’t like. Same things being said about Greta Thunberg and others now are exactly what was said about Sinéad O’Connor three decades ago.
This clip resurfaced on my timeline of Camille Paglia :scream: saying O'Connor deserved to be abused as a child. This was the level of vitriol she faced for tearing a picture of the Pope.

Cachoo

I remember the SNL incident and while I didn't know why she was ripping up a picture of the Pope, I was and am no fan of the Catholic Church as an institution, so I had no issue with her doing it and thought all the outrage about it was pretty pathetic. I mean it was just a picture. She didn't shoot him. Or tell other people to hurt him.

Some people just don't like it when others rock the boat and will get up in arms about pretty much anything that does.
I remember it too. He was a beloved Pope and people only knew that she tore his photo. They didn't want to hear her reasons why. An interesting dialogue might have emerged if people would have listened to her reasons for doing it. But they didn't care about that. She had a deep and abiding faith. She acted because she cared. It wasn't hateful.

3T3T

So sad to hear of Sinéad’s passing. She was a remarkable woman. It was only when I seen her documentary that I remembered how badly she was treated. Her treatment after her SNL performance was shocking and after all that she was proven right. The legacy of the catholic churches misdeeds still linger in Ireland.

Three of my favourite songs of hers are;

Thank you for hearing me. A wonderful & moving live performance on The Late Late Show

This is a rebel song

Scorn not his simplicity

On Wednesday evening a radio show dedicated their broadcast to Sinead. Playing songs from her back catalogue, some of which I never heard. I was surprised to see that she covered an Irish Eurovision classic (at 52:30). it was great hearing all the tributes from her fans. I hope it works outside Ireland.

Cachoo

The media didn't report on it very well IMO.
ITA. And I remember people in our parish (when I was going to Mass) assumed she supported the assassination attempt and wanted him dead. Even the if the press had been better I’m not sure these folks were ready to believe that abusive priests were shuttled from one parish to another along with the scale of the problem. She was so far ahead imo.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
ITA. And I remember people in our parish (when I was going to Mass) assumed she supported the assassination attempt and wanted him dead. Even the if the press had been better I’m not sure these folks were ready to believe that abusive priests were shuttled from one parish to another along with the scale of the problem. She was so far ahead imo.
Having worked for the Catholics, I can tell you one thing: They ALWAYS blame the others for everything. Because they are "good" and serving "God".
In reality they are only serving themselves and whenever there is somebody who doesn't "fit in" they become the worst bullies.

I was actually attending the Catholic religion class in grammar school because my parents felt it was closer to the Russian-Orthodox church (I wasn't even baptized back then) and although I was the best in that class I only got a B. I asked the teacher about it. She was completely and utterly Catholic and her answer was: "It's because you don't go to church."

That was the moment my parents took me out of that religion class and had me transferred to the Protestant one.

Later on, when we went to Russia and me and my siblings were baptized in my dad's church (even his mother was baptized there, got married there and had her funeral there), the dude who baptized us told my dad that "Catholics are no real Christians".

I never forgot this sentence and I got to see this sentence being true almost everyday I got to work at this one particular school. Almost everyone among my colleagues was a devout Catholic and extremely self-righteous and also unfair towards the kids.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Always on the right side of history. Always.

This story is getting a lot of play in Israel. It’s unbelievable that that little putz is the Minister of Public Security and in charge of the police. But at least Sinead is being valued there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information