Remembering Charlie Cyr

Sylvia

TBD
Creating a separate GSD thread with 3 posts, quoted below, and to share David Santee's "Santee on Skates" 10/25/2021 podcast with Charlie Cyr (RIP) which I thought was a fun & informative episode - 2 links to listen:

Copying out the ISU's tribute (June 27, 2023): https://www.isu.org/inside-isu/isu-communications/obituaries/31396-charles-charlie-z-cyr-usa/file

Obituary - Charles ‘Charlie’ Z. Cyr (USA)
It is with deep regret and sorrow that the ISU learned of the death of former ISU Sports Technical
Director Figure Skating, ISU Judge, Technical Controller, Referee, and Data & Replay operator, Mr.
Charles Z. Cyr who passed away on June 22, 2023 aged 68.
Mr. Cyr was born on February 17, 1955 in Canada and grew up in Madawaska, Maine. He was a
Figure Skater and competed in Single Skating. “I would later be known for my precise execution of
compulsory figures but never enough to make an Olympic team. Other avenues involving skating
would later prove to be the passion that would provide a world stage,” he wrote in an article for a
publication of the Eisenhower Desert Orthopedic Center in 2015.
Mr. Cyr worked in the medical field in California. He felt lucky to be able to combine his passions of
Figure Skating and medicine and became an ISU Judge for Single Skating, Pair Skating and Ice Dance,
a Referee and a Technical Controller. He judged Ice Dance at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in
Vancouver and served as a Team Leader for the 2002 Olympic Winter Games in Salt Lake City for
U.S. Figure Skating. He also contributed to the creation of the ISU Judging System. In 2014, Mr. Cyr
was appointed ISU Sports Technical Director Figure Skating and contributed significantly to the
development of Figure Skating in this capacity until he resigned in 2023 due to health reasons.
Mr. Cyr is survived by his wife, Jolene, daughters Allison and Ashley and two grandchildren. He will
be remembered fondly by the Skating family as an outstanding and passionate official who worked
tirelessly for the future of the sport.
The ISU pays tribute to Mr. Charles Z. Cyr and will remember him with great affection.

Re-posting here (thank you @Andrea82 @bardtoob & @eurodance2001):
ISU will need to appoint a new Sports Technical Director for Figure Skating too as Charles Cyr sadly died last month.
I am sorry to hear that. Charlie's name pop-up on this site more than a few times in the couple of decades (😓) I have been on this forum.

Among other things, he was:

• U.S. Figure Skating Team Leader for the 2002 Olympic Winter Games in Salt Lake City
  • Ice Dance Judge at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver
  • ISU-Level Judge, Referee, Data & Replay Operator, and Technical Controller for Single Skating, Pair Skating and Ice Dance
  • ISU IJS contributor
  • ISU Sports Technical Director Figure Skating
He has been mentioned in figure skating related article that have appeared in the New York Times and Wall Street Journal.

An excerpt from his obituary:
Charles 'Charlie' Zoel Cyr was born on February 17, 1955 in Edmundston, New Brunswick, Canada to Hilda D. Albert and Zoel P. Cyr. He grew up in Madawaska, Maine. Growing up he was a figure skater and competed in Single Skating along with competing on the high school ski team and tennis team.
... He was able to combine his passion of Figure Skating and medicine and became an International Skating Union (ISU) judge for Single Skating, Pair Skating and Ice Dance, a Referee, Data & Replay operator, and a Technical Controller. He judged Ice Dance at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver and served as a Team Leader for the 2002 Olympic Winter Games in Salt Lake City for U.S. Figure Skating. He also contributed to the creation of the ISU Judging System. In 2014, Charlie was appointed ISU Sports Technical Director Figure Skating and contributed significantly to the development of Figure Skating in this capacity until March of 2023.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information