School Figures - A bit of history

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Thanks for sharing. I kinda remember seeing this way back when. :D Scott is phenomenal. His school figures are what ended up winning him the Olympic gold medal in 1984.

This performance by Shepherd Clark at the 2018 World Figure & Fancy Skating Championships is a bit of a hybrid, but as we can see, this kind of actual 'figure' skating takes true blade mastery. And it is definitely an art form. Shepherd's edges are so perfect, even on ice filled with other markings, we can still see his expertise. :cheer2:

Sarah Jo Damron-Brown at 2018 WF&FSC:

Swirling Mirror Loop Cross Figure:

Jill Albrecht's Creative Figure at 2016 World Figure Championship:

VGThuy

I don't know if it was the cinematic lighting, the close-ups of the stern-looking judges, the harsh sound echoing in the ice hall or what, but this video showing the 1972 Olympics compulsory portion of the competition gave me ANXIETY and I don't know how skaters dealt with it.

Also, the difference between Schuba looking like a total boss as she's doing it like it's the easiest thing in the world and Janet Lynn looking less sure and a little antsy before she goes was really insightful.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

gkelly

I had no idea that in the beginning, school figures were an art form and quite creative.

More like, in the beginning skaters discovered/invented the basic ways that blades could curve and turn on the ice.

Some skaters got very creative about drawing complex patterns on the ice with their blades. These were called "special figures." There was even a competition for this skill at the 1908 Olympics (but never at Worlds or Europeans).

And then there were "school figures" or "compulsory figures" in which everyone was required to skate the exact same basic patterns. There were a total of 41, most of which had separate versions started on the right foot or the left foot, and only the more difficult of which were skated in senior competition. Ulrich Salchow would have been doing the exact same patterns as Kurt Browning.

The creative patterns were not part of the "school." They were more like freeskating in a context where the only relevant skills were edges and one-foot turns on the ice, and where the patterns drawn on the ice were more important than the appearance of the skater's body.

Of course, training the basic patterns in the school figure syllabus was pretty much the only way to develop the skills to be able to make those more complex patterns with any accuracy. Not many skaters under 40 these days who have those skills.

sadya

Here is some more history from Skate Guard blog: http://skateguard1.blogspot.com/search?q=figures

Floskate has a montage of compulsory figures: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2LP8ZQa6BE

It's interesting how compulsory figures are discussed in documentaries:
Fire on Ice (Janet Lynn and Trixi Schuba)
Reflections on Ice

Documentary from 1971 Trixie Schuba

I can't find a clip of this online now, but didn't Arakawa draw a tulip on ice during a show in Japan?

Last edited:

DreamSkates

More like, in the beginning skaters discovered/invented the basic ways that blades could curve and turn on the ice.

Some skaters got very creative about drawing complex patterns on the ice with their blades. These were called "special figures." There was even a competition for this skill at the 1908 Olympics (but never at Worlds or Europeans).

And then there were "school figures" or "compulsory figures" in which everyone was required to skate the exact same basic patterns. There were a total of 41, most of which had separate versions started on the right foot or the left foot, and only the more difficult of which were skated in senior competition. Ulrich Salchow would have been doing the exact same patterns as Kurt Browning.

The creative patterns were not part of the "school." They were more like freeskating in a context where the only relevant skills were edges and one-foot turns on the ice, and where the patterns drawn on the ice were more important than the appearance of the skater's body.

Of course, training the basic patterns in the school figure syllabus was pretty much the only way to develop the skills to be able to make those more complex patterns with any accuracy. Not many skaters under 40 these days who have those skills.

In the beginning of the video I linked, there are illustrations of the creative patterns. The more complex ones received higher marks of course. But it took some serious skill to learn how to do that and skate a pattern while you were on the ice and not looking from above!

DreamSkates

I've been reading Scott Hamilton's Landing It (1999) and he talks about figures, how he had to work so hard to get to first place (eventually) which helped him win an Olympic gold medal, and how much learning figures contributed to quality of skating.

Like many from his era, there is a sense of loss with no more figures in competitions. Yet, as the videos (thank you Sadya for posting) show, that another "eventually" figure skating evolved into a more expressive art form (Thank you Janet Lynn!). The public also had input, as watching a free program with expression gave much more of a connection to the skaters and what was happening on the ice, than did figures.

There have been discussions here about, should school figures return to competitive skating? I'm not trying to rehash that and don't bemoan the changes that occurred when I was not a fan.

Scott, in his book, talks about the then (1990's) jumping craze and how a slight, lighter body could jump better than perhaps a more muscular type that could do great figures. A slight, light body may not provide the weight needed balance and steadiness for figures.

It's interesting the title of "Figure Skating" continues to this day.

gkelly

In the beginning of the video I linked, there are illustrations of the creative patterns. The more complex ones received higher marks of course. But it took some serious skill to learn how to do that and skate a pattern while you were on the ice and not looking from above!

Absolutely.

My point is that creative figures are not school figures. They were completely different things in terms of the history of competition and training for competition.

If you just say "figures" meaning patterns traced on the ice, then you're good.

"School" figures refers specifically to the 41 figures in the standard competition syllabus. Anything else was not part of the school.

DreamSkates

A masterpiece, of skated figures:

John Curry: "After All"
That was lovely.
The ISU could bring this back as a separate skating discipline with technical and artistic portions. Not connected at all to the sp/lp currently skated. Much like other sports that have more than one aspect of that sport that an athlete can compete in.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
That was lovely.
The ISU could bring this back as a separate skating discipline with technical and artistic portions. Not connected at all to the sp/lp currently skated. Much like other sports that have more than one aspect of that sport that an athlete can compete in.

The US had figures as a separate competition at Nationals until 1990 (?). ISI still has figures testing and has figures competition at its Worlds and at a lot of regional events too.

gkelly

The US had figures as a separate competition at Nationals until 1990 (?).

The US, like the ISU, had figures as part of the combined singles events at junior and senior level through 1990.

I believe that the figures competition was separated from the freeskating for novices in 1990.

Beginning in 1991, figures were a separate competition for all three levels at US Nationals. The last figures competitions at Nationals were in 1999. The last few years of figures competition combined genders.

1991 was also the first year of Juvenile/Intermediate Nationals (which went through several name changes during the ~2 1/2 decades of its existence). I believe that juvenile and intermediate events remained combined with both figures and freeskating through approximately 1994.

(Once figures were removed or separated from freeskating at the lower levels in the mid-90s, a short program was added to intermediate singles competition. Juvenile still has no SP.)

US adult nationals began in 1995 and I believe continued to include figures events through 2000.

The links in @aftershocks's post #2 come from a new organization formed a few years ago to revive interest and participation in both standard school figures and more creative figures and "fancy skating" (which appears to be edge-based freeskating with no jumps).
WorldFigureSport.org

Last edited:

DreamSkates

I'm going to keep this in mind and find a way to attend or support World Skating and festival.

aliceanne

I've been reading Scott Hamilton's Landing It (1999) and he talks about figures, how he had to work so hard to get to first place (eventually) which helped him win an Olympic gold medal, and how much learning figures contributed to quality of skating.

Like many from his era, there is a sense of loss with no more figures in competitions. Yet, as the videos (thank you Sadya for posting) show, that another "eventually" figure skating evolved into a more expressive art form (Thank you Janet Lynn!). The public also had input, as watching a free program with expression gave much more of a connection to the skaters and what was happening on the ice, than did figures.

There have been discussions here about, should school figures return to competitive skating? I'm not trying to rehash that and don't bemoan the changes that occurred when I was not a fan.

Scott, in his book, talks about the then (1990's) jumping craze and how a slight, lighter body could jump better than perhaps a more muscular type that could do great figures. A slight, light body may not provide the weight needed balance and steadiness for figures.

It's interesting the title of "Figure Skating" continues to this day.

One thing I noticed about Scott’s and Kurt’s footwork in their free programs is that they often hopped rather than skated their turns. I assume it was to maintain speed, but it tells you why figures weren’t always useful to free skaters.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

bardtoob

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Bumping this thread back up for @On My Own (or should I say anyone who is interested) ...

ETA:

What Were (Are!) Compulsory School Figures — and Why I Still Teach Them By Deborah Wilker (09/16/18):

Last edited:

On My Own

Thanks for the article, because I used it in the thread we were originally talking in. When I asked the question, though, it wasn't for lack of knowledge. It was to prod the people into giving me an answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information