Russian women news & updates, 2021-22 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
but Kostornaia had a tiny chance of beating Tuk if she can land 3 triple axels.

Anyways her season is over, maybe she can take time to decide what she wants
if she wants to commit another 4 years ?
Fair, she had a tiny chance of beating Tuk if she landed all 3 of her 3As and Tuk wasn't in optimal shape.

I can't see her committing to another 4 years, unfortunately.

soogar

Its over for her, she had a last redemption chance
Tuk must be delighted, only Trusova can stop her now
I highly doubt Tuk is delighted, but for all the Tuk haters, she is proving to be the smartest of them all. She's taking care of her body and it really can be "the last one standing" who makes it on that team. Tuk is looking more and more like a smart decision. I feel awful for Kostorynaia, but hopefully she can look at someone like Tuk and feel inspired to make that 4 year journey if this year doesn't work out. In fact, she may have injured herself due to Team Tutberidze pushing her to land more difficult elements. I think both she and Trusova would have been better off staying with Plushenko, though politically the Russian fed sent them a different message. I think he had enough time under Mishin and in his own career to know how to pace an athlete.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
I highly doubt Tuk is delighted, but for all the Tuk haters, she is proving to be the smartest of them all. She's taking care of her body and it really can be "the last one standing" who makes it on that team. Tuk is looking more and more like a smart decision. I feel awful for Kostorynaia, but hopefully she can look at someone like Tuk and feel inspired to make that 4 year journey if this year doesn't work out. In fact, she may have injured herself due to Team Tutberidze pushing her to land more difficult elements. I think both she and Trusova would have been better off staying with Plushenko, though politically the Russian fed sent them a different message. I think he had enough time under Mishin and in his own career to know how to pace an athlete.
In the article the injury happened off the ice. Tuk may be consistent but time is not on her side, she is aging and turning 26 in few days.
Kstornaia needs to decide what she palns in next 4 years, she can still make it with 3 triple axles imo, Tuk lasted this long because of her failures in Olympics bid and Tuk has No Life and Plans outside of skating like Ashley Wagner

soogar

In the article the injury happened off the ice. Tuk may be consistent but time is not on her side, she is aging and turning 26 in few days.
Kstornaia needs to decide what she palns in next 4 years, she can still make it with 3 triple axles imo, Tuk lasted this long because of her failures in Olympics bid and Tuk has No Life and Plans outside of skating like Ashley Wagner
Tuk is competing internationally, has her own clothing line and seems to have plenty of professional opportunities in skating in Russia and receives positive media attention and is beautiful. I think plenty of people (including myself) would love to trade lives with Tuk. I'd like to have no life and have a career as a professional athlete.

aml78

Why the need to trash Ashley in this comment? And as mentioned above Ashley has been putting herself through school and plans to get a PHD. No life plans? In the mean time she was commentating, coaching and launched a new skating fitness program for retired athletes which she’s working on building out nationally across the US (in her free time while being a full time student at a competitive university). Fact check before you tear people down for no reason.

Sylvia

TBD
Anastasia Guliakova - about the triple axel, the Professor and studies (Dec. 11):
Such a shame that the Winter Universiade was cancelled and that she and Sofia Samodurova couldn't compete in Lucerne, Switzerland this month. :(

Joan1940

Why the need to trash Ashley in this comment? And as mentioned above Ashley has been putting herself through school and plans to get a PHD. No life plans? In the mean time she was commentating, coaching and launched a new skating fitness program for retired athletes which she’s working on building out nationally across the US (in her free time while being a full time student at a competitive university). Fact check before you tear people down for no reason.

Joan1940

Seems Ashley is doing great - see her on my Facebook and Instagram accounts all the time. In addition to getting her degree, her Skate and Sculpt classes, appearing in the winter tour of Stars on Ice, she has a lovely home near the Boston area decorated with the help of her brother and a good-looking boyfriend who is a teacher. Oh yeah and both an adorable cat and dog.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Anastasia Guliakova - about the triple axel, the Professor and studies (Dec. 11):
Such a shame that the Winter Universiade was cancelled and that she and Sofia Samodurova couldn't compete in Lucerne, Switzerland this month. :(
She says her goal is to skate clean at the Russian Championship. Did she make it after all?

Scott512

Where was the plan B to move it to another city in another country?

As for the second Nastya G what happened to her? 2 years ago she was super promising. She won the Russian Cup final in 2020 but literally done nothing since then even regressed at the ages of 18 and 19. She has the political poll of the professor behind her. She is tall for a figure skater and there was talk of the triple axel 2 years ago. For a skater of her caliber not even to make the Russian Nationals is astounding. Of course Coronavirus has played a role in stunting the growth of a lot of athletes.

Right now I wonder what's going to happen with the rest of the season with all these competitions getting cancelled. Of course life is more important than figure skating but I am concerned about the rest of the Olympic season playing out properly.

Scott512

I always worried this one would break my heart. Whatever happens, I am henceforth going to consider her 2020 World Champion and so if she manages to keep going, so much the better!
I agree 100%.

Aliona may have regressed anyway but leaving TT after her great debut season was a fateful move. That said I would like to see her leave after this season and not have this crazy commute to work each day 6 days a week 2 hours on the train to the rink and back home.

Besides she will never be the top girl at TT again maybe not even in the top four next year so why not go where she can be the top lady? Davydov and Rukavicin come to mind. Maybe the professor Mishin because of his political power. But he might not know what to do with Alionas super skating skills and artistry. ;)

Scott512

If anything they were trashing Tuk not Ashley. They specifically said Tuk had no life plans outside of skating unlike Ashley. Which means Ashley has life plans outside of skating.
There is no need to crash any one who is giving their life to the sport. Especially in the middle of an endless pandemic. Liza is standing the test of time like Maria and Irina did and against much tougher domestic competition and international competition. The only thing that can stop Liza is some kind of sickness. But she's had her illness for this season so hopefully she's good to go the rest of the way. She's on the Olympic team unless Sasha shows up big at Russian Nationals and she's capable of that even coming off a broken freaking foot.

soogar

OMG these photos of Baby Tuk. I hope she can maintain her focus at Russian Nats and whatever possible skate off that may happen. It seems like she is a good place mentally but it is so easy to lose focus or become nervous so close to the finish line. I don't think she is a lock for this team but she has actually as 3 year body of work in which she has consistently performed well internationally and is finally earning reputation scores with the judges. I hope this goodwill is noticed by the Fed.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
I didn't say I agreed with it. I was just translating the intent.

I prefer Tuk over any of the other Russian women just for the longevity factor.
So your saying you prefer Tuk just because she is old and mature
In Sports you Earn your Results, Not by Merit.

I doesnt matter if your a 26 year old aging woman, what matters is your performance is optimal and peak
and cannot be beaten by others - meaning You must not have a ceiling

LeafOnTheWind

So your saying you prefer Tuk just because she is old and mature
In Sports you Earn your Results, Not by Merit.

I doesnt matter if your a 26 year old aging woman, what matters is your performance is optimal and peak
and cannot be beaten by others - meaning You must not have a ceiling

:rolleyes:

I didn't say anything about winning or losing. I said I prefer her. So basically you are telling me who I can and can't like. I like a lot of skaters that never get near a medal. I don't like a lot of skaters that medal.

So basically I made the mistake of wandering in to find out more about the current injuries with the Russian women and helping out with a mistaken translation. And am now pulled into this shit show of a thread. I think I'll make note of who to put on ignore and ditch it. Have fun all. I'm out. I just wanted an injury update.

karmena

Why to take things personally? Life is beautiful and figure skating is divine.
People are coming on the forums for many different reasons, not only because of love of figure skating, either that would be done concisely or unconsciously.
Re injuries... I know, not everyone loves TSL approach ( neither me) but sometimes they manage to give a real masterpiece. I would say they did so this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information