Russian women news & updates, 2021-22 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobbe

I have a vague memory that RusFeds rules states that you have to not have skated internationally for 2 seasons and not been at Nationals for one season. Gubanova wasn't at Nationals last year but Talalaikina was.
I might be wrong though, but it would explain why they won't release Maria just yet.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member

Veronika Zhilina, who was previously injured, plans to compete in the final of the Junior Grand Prix ("Match TV")

Great news!! I'm so happy that Veronika is recovering so well. One less athlete on the injured list is a good thing!

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

Veronika Zhilina, who was previously injured, plans to compete in the final of the Junior Grand Prix ("Match TV")

Great news!! I'm so happy that Veronika is recovering so well. One less athlete on the injured list is a good thing!
Some great news about Russian women! 🇷🇺 🥳 🎉

Scott512

I have a vague memory that RusFeds rules states that you have to not have skated internationally for 2 seasons and not been at Nationals for one season. Gubanova wasn't at Nationals last year but Talalaikina was.
I might be wrong though, but it would explain why they won't release Maria just yet.
I thought it was just not skating internationally for 2 years. If you have to miss Nationals one time as well that's throwing a big monkey wrench into the whole transfer deal. But this should have been figured out in August when Maria went public with the transfer news.
This girl just can't catch a break.

Cachoo

Hmmmm. Not sure what I think about skaters farming out to other countries. The trend seems to keep accelerating. On the one hand, why do we compete as nations, when countries can recruit talent that was not developed there? I was not too thrilled when China poached a couple of our good junior lady singles skaters for instance. But I was happy to have Tanith Belbin from Canada. On the other hand, I understand that so many of these skaters in a country like Russia with huge depth have trained their whole lives and won’t ever see the light of day internationally. I remember a time when U.S. ladies had so much depth there was talk that the U.S. should get more worlds spots. Now it’s Russia. If we are going to continue to compete as nations though I think it should be a more rare occurrence to switch countries. Otherwise, it can become like Major League Baseball or Football where power and money can recruit top talent for their team. Maybe figure skating shouldn’t compete as nations anymore? But when an athlete can no longer bask in an achievement that made their country proud the sport will be much different and it will be about individual achievement not achievement for one’s country.
This is an interesting idea. I still think we could have the traditional format but if I had money to burn I'd love to have an Open tournament with BIG cash prizes for top ten placements and an invitation for all to compete. And if Russian skaters fill every placement then good for them.

clairecloutier

Primorskaya

Quote from the above article: "Honestly, I don’t understand when the same Dasha is strongly criticized, that she does not have quadruple jumps, triple axel, and then her coaches are attacked, that they overload someone, that they do not protect someone."
Just leaving that there...;)
ETA: Joking aside, the whole article is really worth reading, Stanislava has a lot of well thought-through opinions about her sport!

Last edited:

Ka3sha

MatchTV interview with Sofia Muravieva

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Who has strongly criticized Daria for not having quads or a triple axel? The most I've seen is statements that she's not in the running for the Olympics because of it, but that's not criticism, that's just an accurate assessment of the way things are. No Russian woman who has neither of those is in the running for the Olympics.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member

Figure skating: how the composition of the Russian national team will be formed for the 2022 Olympics in Beijing.

RusFed will wait until AFTER Europeans to name the Olympic Team. It makes sense if Sasha misses Nationals. That's what I figured RF would do with Sasha, just have her rest and recover and come out like gangbusters at Euros and take the spot and the momentum for Oly gold.

BittyBug

Disgusted
RusFed will wait until AFTER Europeans to name the Olympic Team. It makes sense if Sasha misses Nationals. That's what I figured RF would do with Sasha, just have her rest and recover and come out like gangbusters at Euros and take the spot and the momentum for Oly gold.
I think that's a flawed approach. Trusova is nothing if not inconsistent. She came out guns blazing at the test skates and then splatted all over Cranberry and watered down her program for SKAM. Yes, she won both competitions, but only because there was no serious competition for her there and she has not been seen since. She needs to show that she can hit it at consecutive competitions to prove that she is reliable.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
I think that's a flawed approach. Trusova is nothing if not inconsistent. She came out guns blazing at the test skates and then splatted all over Cranberry and watered down her program for SKAM. Yes, she won both competitions, but only because there was no serious competition for her there and she has not been seen since. She needs to show that she can hit it at consecutive competitions to prove that she is reliable.
now this will be interesting if Tuk does well in GPF but misses the Nationals podium but still goes to Euros anyways because one of the national medalist like say Akatieva is age ineligible for Euros, then Trusova is given a skate off with Tuk in Euros and ends up beating Tuk.

This brings Med vs Tuk in 2019 flashbacks.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
now this will be interesting if Tuk does well in GPF but misses the Nationals podium but still goes to Euros anyways because one of the national medalist like say Akatieva is age ineligible for Euros, then Trusova is given a skate off with Tuk in Euros and ends up beating Tuk.

Why assume that Trusova will beat Tuk in a skateoff at Euros? If she is injured enough to not be ready, even with watered down content, at RusNats which is 8 weeks after SkAm, then I wouldn't bet on her being in the shape she needs to beat Tuk at Euros 3 weeks later.

rfisher

Let the skating begin

Figure skating: how the composition of the Russian national team will be formed for the 2022 Olympics in Beijing.

They do this all the time. Only the winner of Nationals (assuming they are of eligible age) is guaranteed a spot to Euros/Worlds/Olympics. Otherwise they never name the Olympic or World team until after Europeans and/or the Russian Cup Final, assuming Europeans is held. And they were talking about Trusova missing the GPF, not Russian nationals. The GPF winner or participant is no guarantee of anything. See Tuk 2018. She missed nationals due to pneumonia, had a skate off with Medvedeva at the Russian cup and Med went to Worlds instead. It seemed like Worlds would be a lock for Liza all that season, except it wasn't. Mishin petitioned for her to get the spot and all they did was put her in a skate off (which I thought she won), but the judges didn't and Med went. And, that wasn't due to Tutberidze because she was with Orser at that point. If Nationals is a blow out like it was last year, then the top 3 will go. If not, then, it remains to be seen. Liza got lucky last year due to Valieva's age. That won't be the case this time.

Last edited:

sjs5572

Quote from the above article: "Honestly, I don’t understand when the same Dasha is strongly criticized, that she does not have quadruple jumps, triple axel, and then her coaches are attacked, that they overload someone, that they do not protect someone."
Just leaving that there...;)
ETA: Joking aside, the whole article is really worth reading, Stanislava has a lot of well thought-through opinions about her sport!
If there are people out there who criticized Dasha, they shouldn't. However, such misplaced criticism, whereever it might be, shouldn't be used as an excuse to shield coaches from blame.

Last edited:

Skibean

Wait. Are we forgetting Trusova is injured and that’s the reason for the watered down programs. Sounds like we cut some skaters more slack than others when injured.

DreamSkates

I'm not sure what you mean. Simone is speaking out against the idea that athletes should compete no matter how hurt they are, mentally or physically.
Sorry for being confusing. The point Simone is trying to make us that athletes are pushed by themselves and others, to compete when it is emotional and physically ill-advised.
Team Eteri is burning through girls like kleenex.

These fragile girls are breaking like porcelain dolls...and their narcissistic, sociopathic coach keeps going (and going), like a bull in china shop. How many broken, wrecked, career prematurely ended girls will it take before the Russian Fed put a stop to her?
Russian Fed is more interested in gold medals.

Tobbe

I don't think this will happen though. Only twice in history has RusFed sent someone to Euros that wasn't at Nationals. Volchkova in 2003 (had pneumonia during nationals) and Medvedeva in 2018.
I don't think Trusova's BOW is strong enough for making such a move, so if she misses Nationals I think she's out.
Then whoever gets sent to Euros needs to medal there. If anyone falls off the podium they most likely will be switched with the 4th best at Nationals.
This is what happened in 2019 when Konstantinova "bombed" Euros and only came 4th. Medvedeva was next in line from nationals, but Liza wasn't there so thus that infamous skate off at RC Final, which included Konstantinova btw, but it seemed that the judges had already made up their minds in that competition.

BittyBug

Disgusted
Wait. Are we forgetting Trusova is injured and that’s the reason for the watered down programs. Sounds like we cut some skaters more slack than others when injured.
Yes, Trusova is injured, but (a) there's no guarantee that she'll be fully healed by year end, and (b) she was all over the place last year too - was she injured there as well? And I say that as someone who is a big fan and would love to see her skate her Cruella program lights out and kick everyone's ass, but at the same time, can't ignore the patterns.

Kathryn2001

Can I break in for a moment and ask about another Eteri skater, well, one who went back to Eteri's team after being with Orser; Tursy (Elizabeta Tursynbaeva). I assume her back injury was long-lasting enough that she moved on, but does anyone know anything about what happened with Eteri's group when she had injury problems and what she's doing now??

Lilia A

Yes, Trusova is injured, but (a) there's no guarantee that she'll be fully healed by year end, and (b) she was all over the place last year too - was she injured there as well? And I say that as someone who is a big fan and would love to see her skate her Cruella program lights out and kick everyone's ass, but at the same time, can't ignore the patterns.
IIRC she was. Supposedly an ankle, but she also skated with a thigh very heavily taped most of the season, starting at Rostelecom and up until the Channel One cup event.

Primorskaya

Who has strongly criticized Daria for not having quads or a triple axel? The most I've seen is statements that she's not in the running for the Olympics because of it, but that's not criticism, that's just an accurate assessment of the way things are. No Russian woman who has neither of those is in the running for the Olympics.
As Dai's Blues correctly supposed earlier, she's not talking about us ;) The article is (quite poorly) translated from Russian, and was intended primarily for domestic consumption. And the Russian public has Opinions. Most countries who aren't Russia would pay to have Daria on their NT.

On My Own

If there are people out there who criticized Dasha, they shouldn't. However, such misplaced criticism, whereever it might be, shouldn't be used as an excuse to shield coaches from blame.
I didn't read Konstantinova as trying to "shield coaches from blame". She's pointing out the irony in saying that Usacheva should be expected to push herself and do 3As and quads during the Olympic season and that her coaches should also push her into doing that, but then shifting all the blame onto her coaches even though she wasn't attempting those jumps in the first place now that she's injured. You cannot have it both ways, where you are questioning why she didn't do any quads and was not pushing herself enough, and also blaming her coaches when she's injured for pushing herself. It's intended, I'm guessing, for the sports.ru troll fanbase. The translation is generally quite poor, as can be noticed in the sentence structure and unusual choice of words.

I also read quite a strange comment from Meagan Duhamel about how her throw quads weren't affected by her weight, or how men can do quads despite weighing more than women. No doubt Eteri girls have terrible technique, reliant on weight control more than anything and it should be called out, but these comments fundamentally misunderstand biophysics and provide deniability for any claims against such techniques.

It is also just true that you'll have to jump differently depending on your weight. That's just physics. You'd do it with different snap, different vault, adjust your axis, so on. It's not like there's no adjustment phase when skaters hit puberty, as is so often discussed? The problem rather is some try to actively not gain weight through disordered eating and so on, because the coaches make them do so, or they just couldn't manage to readjust their jumps.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

Can I break in for a moment and ask about another Eteri skater, well, one who went back to Eteri's team after being with Orser; Tursy (Elizabeta Tursynbaeva). I assume her back injury was long-lasting enough that she moved on, but does anyone know anything about what happened with Eteri's group when she had injury problems and what she's doing now??
She announced her retirement a couple of months ago. It was discussed on FSU. (search or google it)

Frau Muller

I don't think this will happen though. Only twice in history has RusFed sent someone to Euros that wasn't at Nationals. Volchkova in 2003 (had pneumonia during nationals) and Medvedeva in 2018.
I don't think Trusova's BOW is strong enough for making such a move, so if she misses Nationals I think she's out.
Then whoever gets sent to Euros needs to medal there. If anyone falls off the podium they most likely will be switched with the 4th best at Nationals.
This is what happened in 2019 when Konstantinova "bombed" Euros and only came 4th. Medvedeva was next in line from nationals, but Liza wasn't there so thus that infamous skate off at RC Final, which included Konstantinova btw, but it seemed that the judges had already made up their minds in that competition.
BOW? Reigning World bronze medalist. SkAm winner. ‘Nuf said.

Primorskaya

Yep. The Russian Fed aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot (no joke intended) by an early ruling out of such a potentially lethal weapon. They'll give themselves plenty of time to decide. What's their rush? Olympics is a crazy season and it's still more than 3 months away. She may not be the most heavily injured of the Russian women by then, the intensity they'll be training at. For my money she could even miss Nats and still be considered.

Scott512

Yes people are forgetting and they are holding the cranberry cup or whatever it was against her when Sasha had a broken freaking foot. It won't be broken by Europeans and she will be doing four quads by then and could even be a threat to the KaMissile by then.

I also believe the Russian Federation will do everything they can to have the girl holding three national championships in a row and the reigning world champion on the Olympic team.

I also would like to get some information on whether these figure skaters from Russia are being vaccinated and for those under the age of 18 if their parents even want them vaccinated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information