Russian women news & updates, 2021-22 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Dave has termed this his “Galina voice” after his beloved coach, Galina Zmievskaya...coach and mother of Petrenko brothers & Oksana Baiul. She occasionally offers pointers. Love it!

David Spletnikov” translates to “David the Gossip Guy” LOL!
The "Galina Voice" is a terrible imitation. Just awful. I can't listen to more than a minute of it. He's just really bad at accents. He sounds like Kirk Cameron attempting a read-through of Chekhov. Just. No.

Last edited:

Skibean

I’m not blaming Eteri completely for the injuries on her team, but all of the adults in the camp. Who monitors these skaters in their training? Does anyone remember the stories of Tara Lipinski doing drills of the 3loop/3loop and sneaking back on the ice to do more. It was her money combo and she knew she needed it to win. Her mother seemed to think it was great that Tara was overtraining this combo. In the end, Tara had major hip issues. This was the fault of the adults.

Regarding Kamila- I hope she sticks around and continues competing after she wins Olympic gold and doesn’t do what Zagitova did. The once every 4 year viewers of the Olympics all over the world will fall in love with her skating and she’ll be good for the sport.

Tobbe

I’m not blaming Eteri completely for the injuries on her team, but all of the adults in the camp. Who monitors these skaters in their training? Does anyone remember the stories of Tara Lipinski doing drills of the 3loop/3loop and sneaking back on the ice to do more. It was her money combo and she knew she needed it to win. Her mother seemed to think it was great that Tara was overtraining this combo. In the end, Tara had major hip issues. This was the fault of the adults.

Regarding Kamila- I hope she sticks around and continues competing after she wins Olympic gold and doesn’t do what Zagitova did. The once every 4 year viewers of the Olympics all over the world will fall in love with her skating and she’ll be good for the sport.
It's not the adults fault. Some people say that we should know better now in the 21st century, but the reality is completely different. This is the level that ALL sports are at now, so teenagers do what Lipinski did...pressuring themselves till they drop. It's impossible for parents and adults to know where to say stop. And if they do, it won't matter much anyway, because teenagers do what they want, it's in their job description.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member

Maria Talalaykina cannot process the transfer to the Italian national team ("Sport-Express") https://www.sports.ru/figure-skatin...formit-perexod-v-sbornuyu-italii-sport-e.html

Well that sucks for Maria. It looks like the time to switch countries is before Juniors. I think it shows a huge lack of foresight on RusFed's part. Russia could practically farm other skaters out to make a near all Russian top ten or twenty at Worlds. At least that's my opinion at the moment, but I can be persuaded otherwise.

rfisher

Let the skating begin

Maria Talalaykina cannot process the transfer to the Italian national team ("Sport-Express") https://www.sports.ru/figure-skatin...formit-perexod-v-sbornuyu-italii-sport-e.html

Well that sucks for Maria. It looks like the time to switch countries is before Juniors. I think it shows a huge lack of foresight on RusFed's part. Russia could practically farm other skaters out to make a near all Russian top ten or twenty at Worlds. At least that's my opinion at the moment, but I can be persuaded otherwise.
:lol: how would the Russian Skating Federation benefit from having Russian born skaters skating for other countries? Federations benefit from getting a percentage of prize money and/or shows. A skater skating for a different federation would be contributing to that federation, not the RSF.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member

Samodelkina plans to perform three quads and a triple axel in a free program at the Russian championship https://www.sports.ru/figure-skatin...-na-chempionate-rossii-tri-chetvernyx-pr.html

My eye was on Sofia Samodelkina this season. She has been landing 3axel for two seasons and just started adding quads this year. Now she's landed 4lutz, 4sal, and 4toe this season. In addition to her 3axel. She didn't have a successful JGP, but it was weird, with the Americans going to JGPF without having to beat a Russian. People's eyes should be on Sofia for the future. Her jump technique is stable (I wish she'd stop dropping her head before she jumps, but that's nitpicky), she is musical, she moves well, spins aren't bad and mostly good/great. I definitely have her over Maiia and Daria and Liza and probably now Alyona.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
:lol: how would the Russian Skating Federation benefit from having Russian born skaters skating for other countries? Federations benefit from getting a percentage of prize money and/or shows. A skater skating for a different federation would be contributing to that federation, not the RSF.

Maybe RusFed won't benefit (how would they?) but maybe Russia would. Perhaps? I'm sure Russian audiences would love watching World cup where 7 of the top 10 are Russians competing under wherever country. As an American I was always taking interest in the Americans who country-switched. Especially when the skater was competitive. I would imagine it would be similar in other countries? You're still cheering for your countryman, but due to circumstance they are skating under a different colored flag.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Maiia could add to her ever-growing cache if she wins CS Warsaw this coming weekend. Not the toughest field (Izzo, Thorngren, Kurakova the other tops) but a large field of 32. I hope that it’s streamed.

Last edited:

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Maybe RusFed won't benefit (how would they?) but maybe Russia would. Perhaps? I'm sure Russia would love watching World cup where 7 of the top 10 are Russians competing under wherever country.
Russian skaters aren't even competing under the Russian flag anymore. What's the difference between Kamila as "Olympian from Russia" or whatever nonsense they call it versus Gubanova "Olympian from Russia representing Georgia"?

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Given that Tuk has beaten Kost in every head to head this season, how can you say she’d be head of Liza not Alyona?
Yes, I should have clarified. Not any official rankings, but my favorites/rankings. I think Alyona is a phenomenal skater, one of the best I've seen. I hope something "clicks" in her head to get motivated to get to her earlier level. However, what I've been thinking/feeling is that Alyona has been fighting injuries for years and she's just too injured to do any more. She's a perfectionist, and when perfectionists start looking like Alyona this season, it's often due to injury. And then the mental edge goes with it, too.

Last edited:

Desperado

Maybe RusFed won't benefit (how would they?) but maybe Russia would. Perhaps? I'm sure Russian audiences would love watching World cup where 7 of the top 10 are Russians competing under wherever country. As an American I was always taking interest in the Americans who country-switched. Especially when the skater was competitive. I would imagine it would be similar in other countries? You're still cheering for your countryman, but due to circumstance they are skating under a different colored flag.
I’m still mad at Greg Rusedski for leaving Canada to play tennis for Britain in the late 90s, so not sure Russians would be into athletes skating singles for other countries, but it could just be me.

It may make a difference if they’ve never competed for Russia before.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I’m still mad at Greg Rusedski for leaving Canada to play tennis for Britain in the late 90s, so not sure Russians would be into athletes skating singles for other countries, but it could just be me.

It may make a difference if they’ve never competed for Russia before.
I think that the Russia audience knows that Russian skaters are switching countries solely to just COMPETE internationally. They just want to show their skills. How could anyone not be onboard with that?

I'm not sure why Rusedski switched, unless he was a grass court player (I vaguely remember he had a good run there one year...). However he didn't need to switch federations just for the opportunity to compete, though, unlike the Russian ladies.

Skibean

I think that the Russia audience knows that Russian skaters are switching countries solely to just COMPETE internationally. They just want to show their skills. How could anyone not be onboard with that?

I'm not sure why Rusedski switched, unless he was a grass court player (I vaguely remember he had a good run there one year...). However he didn't need to switch federations just for the opportunity to compete, though, unlike the Russian ladies.
Didn’t they call Zhenya a traitor simply for training in Canada?

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Didn’t they call Zhenya a traitor simply for training in Canada?
I'm sure some did, there's always people who complain about anything. And Evgenia is not similar, she appeared to be a Russian Olympic silver medalist who chose to leave her country after failing it at the Olympics. (Not my opinion). She was an established star. I am hopeful that Russians would embrace their skaters who want to at least compete in their sport to an international level.

Scott512

So sorry for Masha. I'm sure she had high hopes especially after one of her BFFs Nastya has transferred to the Republic of Georgia already and is representing them internationally all while living and training in St Petersburg. Maria actually changed her world and left Russia and moved to Italy. So sorry for her I hope she doesn't feel like her career is over.

Scott512

On the Russian sportsite I read the fans were happy Anastasia got away and can now skate for the Republic of Georgia. The only problem is she's only skated in one event for Georgia that was over five weeks ago and there are no signs of her skating again anywhere anytime soon. Someone said Nastya was supposed to skate last week in Austria and this week in Poland but pulled out. I would have had hope she would have skated in at least three events by now so she could build some momentum in her career. I mean she skated in only one event last year and only one so far this year how can she develop if she doesn't compete?

As far as the Federation goes they ars letting girls leave that are not going to beat the top Russian girls. But things will be very interesting if one of the top five or six girls tries to leave in the next couple years.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I was worried when Anastasiia pulled out of her competitions too. But she has been added to Golden Spin of Zagreb in December (against Bradie, Hanna Harrell, and Mariah Bell). It will be interesting to see how they compete/compare against each other.

Scott512

I was just reading one of the Russian Sports sites and the fans there are like let Maria go let her have her career and it will only benefit the promotion of the Russian figure skating School if she succeeds elsewhere. The Russian figure skating Federation may not appreciate that but their fans want these girls to go and have a career which they cannot have in Russia after they've given basically their lives to the sport.

Sylvia

TBD

Scott512

I was worried when Anastasiia pulled out of her competitions too. But she has been added to Golden Spin of Zagreb in December (against Bradie, Hanna Harrell, and Mariah Bell). It will be interesting to see how they compete/compare against each other.
That's too far away that's like 3 or 4 weeks away.
I've just been conditioned to expect this girl to get the worst breaks. But at least Nastya will have a chance to be the number one lady from Georgia this year and possibly skated Europeans the Olympics and World Championship. Anastacia may still have a career but poor Maria she's in no man's land right now and they need to iron this out and let her get on with her career and life at 19.

I am sure there are many other Russian girls plotting their departure from skating for Russia but it's not going to be easy to do.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
According to this article, Sofia Samodurova and Anastasiia Guliakova will compete at the Winter Universiade in Lucerne, Switzerland:
The women are scheduled to compete on Sunday & Monday, December 19-20, 2021.

ETA: I haven't seen an official announcement for the Russian team yet.
@Sylvia, since Russia Nationals are December 23-26, do you suppose Sofia Samodurova will not compete at Nationals then? I know that Anastasiia Gulyakova didn't quality for Nats, but would Sofia just skip it to go with Nastya?

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
@Sylvia, since Russia Nationals are December 23-26, do you suppose Sofia Samodurova will not compete at Nationals then? I know that Anastasiia Gulyakova didn't quality for Nats, but would Sofia just skip it to go with Nastya?
Maybe Sofia wants to retire anyway and wants to do it on a high note with a medal from the Universiade instead of ending up in No Man's Land at the Hunger Games?
That's what I'd do.

3T3T

That’s really disappointing news for Maria Talalakina. I can’t understand why the Russian Fed won’t release her. I was so looking forward to see her on European and the World stage. She was never going to be a threat to the Top Russian ladies, but could easily have been final flight in Euros. Possibly Top 10 in Worlds and an Olympian. So sad 😢

She had real personality on ice. I loved her Maleficent. This could be a warning to other Russian Ladies looking to switch nationalities. Gubanova did very well to get a release.

mtnskater

Hmmmm. Not sure what I think about skaters farming out to other countries. The trend seems to keep accelerating. On the one hand, why do we compete as nations, when countries can recruit talent that was not developed there? I was not too thrilled when China poached a couple of our good junior lady singles skaters for instance. But I was happy to have Tanith Belbin from Canada. On the other hand, I understand that so many of these skaters in a country like Russia with huge depth have trained their whole lives and won’t ever see the light of day internationally. I remember a time when U.S. ladies had so much depth there was talk that the U.S. should get more worlds spots. Now it’s Russia. If we are going to continue to compete as nations though I think it should be a more rare occurrence to switch countries. Otherwise, it can become like Major League Baseball or Football where power and money can recruit top talent for their team. Maybe figure skating shouldn’t compete as nations anymore? But when an athlete can no longer bask in an achievement that made their country proud the sport will be much different and it will be about individual achievement not achievement for one’s country.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Hmmmm. Not sure what I think about skaters farming out to other countries. The trend seems to keep accelerating. On the one hand, why do we compete as nations, when countries can recruit talent that was not developed there? I was not too thrilled when China poached a couple of our good junior lady singles skaters for instance. But I was happy to have Tanith Belbin from Canada. On the other hand, I understand that so many of these skaters in a country like Russia with huge depth have trained their whole lives and won’t ever see the light of day internationally. I remember a time when U.S. ladies had so much depth there was talk that the U.S. should get more worlds spots. Now it’s Russia. If we are going to continue to compete as nations though I think it should be a more rare occurrence to switch countries. Otherwise, it can become like Major League Baseball or Football where power and money can recruit top talent for their team. Maybe figure skating shouldn’t compete as nations anymore? But when an athlete can no longer bask in an achievement that made their country proud the sport will be much different and it will be about individual achievement not achievement for one’s country.
The US families have done it for the last what, 50 years? They probably led for the way for all of this. I'm thinking of skates like Susanna Driano and and Dianne de Leeuw, who AFAIK were born and spent their childhoods in the US. Alice Sue Claeys, Patricia Neske-- many of them. While I believe all four cases had family actually from the country they represented and/or were born citizens of those countries, they still took a route easier to getting to World and Olympic competition.

I remember when Soldatova made her change after failing to get to Worlds in 2000 and many people were :eek: but it had gone on long before that.

mtnskater

Hi @tony. I didn’t say it hadn’t been done before. Only that it seems to be a trend that is increasing. The U.S. has had many skaters farming out for decades. I think Dianne de Leeuw made a mistake farming out to the Netherlands because she could have been very popular here and had more marketing and pro opportunities back when figure skating was super popular here. But that is ancient history.

Scott512

As for Maria Talalakina.... well... what is she supposed to do now? There's only one Russia Cup event left, so she can't even qualify for Russian Senior Nationals. I feel so badly for her.
Where is she? I thought she moved to Italy like 2 months ago.

If she can't skate in Italy it would only be right to have her skate in Russian competitions this season. But I guess no nationals and she was really good in nationals last year even though she only finished ninth.

Poor Maria I hope this doesn't force her to quit.

Scott512

That’s really disappointing news for Maria Talalakina. I can’t understand why the Russian Fed won’t release her. I was so looking forward to see her on European and the World stage. She was never going to be a threat to the Top Russian ladies, but could easily have been final flight in Euros. Possibly Top 10 in Worlds and an Olympian. So sad 😢

She had real personality on ice. I loved her Maleficent. This could be a warning to other Russian Ladies looking to switch nationalities. Gubanova did very well to get a release.
Nastia and Georgia had been working on her transfer for like a year and a half. I'm not sure about Maria and how long the process was for that but I was wondering what happened to her since we haven't seen her skate yet. What a shame.

Maybe the Russian Federation is afraid to open the transfer floodgates. But why hold Maria down since she's really no threat to beat the top six or seven Russian ladies. it's the same with Nastya. They can't beat the top Russian ladies or the top Japanese ladies so why not let them go and at least have a career of some sorts?

I know the Russian Federation has put years and years of funding into these girls but let them go. The problem is after this Olympic season there will be more than a couple girls wanting to leave for greener pastures if you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information