Russian women news & updates, 2021-22 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
"According to Kogan, the federation did not give permission to skater Maria Talalaikina to play for the Italian team."

Scott512

WONDERFUL news!!! Maria was so good this year. And I've been a fan of Anastasiya since before her junior days. Can they compete at Nebelhorn?!??!?! Yay to see Talalakina and Gubanova at the Olympics!!!! Very happy for them.
I'm very happy for Anastasia because she's one of the most beautiful skaters we've seen in many years and then she was very bewilderingly buried by the Russian Federation since she was 14 years old. I have no doubt she created some of her problems for herself and three coaches in three years did not help. But there were many opportunities Nastya earned and got stiffed for and then the girls that got them bombed. If that was frustrating for us how do you think she felt?

Now I wish her moving to represent Georgia happened more than a year ago because she lost last season competing only once at 17 or 18 years old.

How do you ever make up for a lost season at that age as competitive as the ladies discipline is? You don't. And puberty really hurt Nastya as well. I'm very happy she has this chance because I thought she was very close to retirement at age 18 and now she can show the world her beautiful emotive skating which is very rare in today's ladies figure skating. Sure she won't win big titles and she can't score 240 points things like that but she will have her career now.

Another thing is Anastasia it will still be able to train and live in St Petersburg will probably only occasional travel to Georgia. Maria is actually leaving St Petersburg and moving to Italy to live in train a totally different culture a totally different language and that will be a big adjustment while Nastyas adjustment will be less because she will stay in St Petersburg stay with her coaching team stay near her family and younger siblings and when she does go to Georgia I believe they speak the same language which is Russian so she will know what's going on.

Maria is fascinating because she's so tall and languid. And she is now being coached by Angelika Turenko Nastyas former coach who created that beautiful Romeo and Juliet program for Nastya 5 years ago. it will be interesting to say what this coach will come up with for Maria.

Of course the Russian figure skating Federation would not let either of these two leave if they could score in the 230 Point range. But they figure they can't hurt our top girls so it's okay if they leave. I get it.

Bigbird

I'm very happy for Anastasia because she's one of the most beautiful skaters we've seen in many years and then she was very bewilderingly buried by the Russian Federation since she was 14 years old. I have no doubt she created some of her problems for herself and three coaches in three years did not help. But there were many opportunities Nastya earned and got stiffed for and then the girls that got them bombed. If that was frustrating for us how do you think she felt?

Now I wish her moving to represent Georgia happened more than a year ago because she lost last season competing only once at 17 or 18 years old.

How do you ever make up for a lost season at that age as competitive as the ladies discipline is? You don't. And puberty really hurt Nastya as well. I'm very happy she has this chance because I thought she was very close to retirement at age 18 and now she can show the world her beautiful emotive skating which is very rare in today's ladies figure skating. Sure she won't win big titles and she can't score 240 points things like that but she will have her career now.

Another thing is Anastasia it will still be able to train and live in St Petersburg will probably only occasional travel to Georgia. Maria is actually leaving St Petersburg and moving to Italy to live in train a totally different culture a totally different language and that will be a big adjustment while Nastyas adjustment will be less because she will stay in St Petersburg stay with her coaching team stay near her family and younger siblings and when she does go to Georgia I believe they speak the same language which is Russian so she will know what's going on.

Maria is fascinating because she's so tall and languid. And she is now being coached by Angelika Turenko Nastyas former coach who created that beautiful Romeo and Juliet program for Nastya 5 years ago. it will be interesting to say what this coach will come up with for Maria.

Of course the Russian figure skating Federation would not let either of these two leave if they could score in the 230 Point range. But they figure they can't hurt our top girls so it's okay if they leave. I get it.
This is a great opportunity for the ladies it is too crowded at the top. Nastya's body/instrument just doesn't fit the expected mold needed to make jumping less of a challenge, but artistically she's a great pleasure to watch. I hope they both realize their dreams.

Scott512

This is a great opportunity for the ladies it is too crowded at the top. Nastya's body/instrument just doesn't fit the expected mold needed to make jumping less of a challenge, but artistically she's a great pleasure to watch. I hope they both realize their dreams.
You know I couldn't have said it better myself and I didn't. But you did Bird. Artistically and musically are tremendous qualities for Anastasia it's really natural with her. Once puberty hit everything else became harder. We still have to see what kind of shape she is in skating wise after not skating except one event last season but she looks a lot lighter in the pictures I've seen even though they were off ice pictures.

You mentioned dreams bird and I think a lot of people have forgotten to dream partly because of coronavirus for the past year-and-a-half and in nastyas case partly because you pointed out the competition at the top is too tough and there are too many Russian girls at the highest level. I hope Nastya and Maria have their dreams back.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Is Gubanova eligible for the 2022 Olympics? I don't see how. Isn't she supposed to sit out one season after changing her country? May be it doesn't apply to former USSR countries?

I am happy for Gubanova regardless. She is too talented to never make it to worlds. Now she will have a chance.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Is Gubanova eligible for the 2022 Olympics? I don't see how. Isn't she supposed to sit out one season after changing her country? May be it doesn't apply to former USSR countries?

I am happy for Gubanova regardless. She is too talented to never make it to worlds. Now she will have a chance.
I think she needs a release from the ROC to be allowed to compete in the Olympics if she has competed internationally for Russia in the last 3 years. She only needs a release from the RFSF and to sit out one year from the last date she represented Russia internationally which would mean she's most definitely eligible for Euros and/or Worlds. At the minimum, even if she can't compete in the Olympics this season, it's a win for Georgia in the long term because it means their extra Euros spot will not go to waste and if she can do well at Euros she could earn enough WS points to put herself in the mix for GP assignments in future seasons.

Marco

I think she needs a release from the ROC to be allowed to compete in the Olympics if she has competed internationally for Russia in the last 3 years. She only needs a release from the RFSF and to sit out one year from the last date she represented Russia internationally which would mean she's most definitely eligible for Euros and/or Worlds. At the minimum, even if she can't compete in the Olympics this season, it's a win for Georgia in the long term because it means their extra Euros spot will not go to waste and if she can do well at Euros she could earn enough WS points to put herself in the mix for GP assignments in future seasons.
It also depends on whether she has Georgian citizenship because she needs that specifically for competing at the Olympics (2022 or 2026).

I don't know why there should be any problem with releasing either women because they are clearly no threat to the top Russian women. It may come down to financial compensation for all the investments made into them these past years.

Ka3sha

@alchemy void pointed out Maria has never competed internationally, so would she even need a release from the Russian fed?
She would.
Russian Fed announced new rules regarding releases and switching countries for Russian skaters not so long ago. I couldn't find the exact post and don't remember the details now but the main idea was - if a skater competed at Nationals, he has to wait a year to get official release; two years in case of international events (don't remember if only GP/Euros/Worlds counted or C/Bs events as well)

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I think she needs a release from the ROC to be allowed to compete in the Olympics if she has competed internationally for Russia in the last 3 years.

Bye-law to Rule 41 of the Olympic Charter (emphasis mine):

2. A competitor who has represented one country in the Olympic Games, in continental or regional games or in world or regional championships recognised by the relevant IF, and who has changed his nationality or acquired a new nationality, may participate in the Olympic Games to represent his new country provided that at least three years have passed since the competitor last represented his former country. This period may be reduced or even cancelled, with the agreement of the NOCs [National Olympic Committees] and IF [International Federation] concerned, by the IOC Executive Board, which takes into account the circumstances of each case.

Had she competed in any of the bolded events in the three years before the Olympics, Gubanova would need permission from the Russian and Georgian Olympic Committees, the ISU, and the IOC Executive Board, after receiving a release from the Russian Federation to compete for Georgia, plus Georgian citizenship.

But the biggest international event she competed in was JGPF (2016/17), which isn't one of those bolded events, and, even if it was, it was > three years before 2022.

Scott512

Bye-law to Rule 41 of the Olympic Charter (emphasis mine):

Had she competed in any of the bolded events in the three years before the Olympics, Gubanova would need permission from the Russian and Georgian Olympic Committees, the ISU, and the IOC Executive Board, after receiving a release from the Russian Federation to compete for Georgia, plus Georgian citizenship.

But the biggest international event she competed in was JGPF (2016/17), which isn't one of those bolded events, and, even if it was, it was > three years before 2022.
Yes!

Anastasia has not represented Russia internationally since December of 2018. She should be able to switch no problem because Russia has a 2 year threshold of not competing internationally to transfer and it's been almost 3 years for Nastya. Imagine that a skater of this girl's natural ability not even getting a stinking challenger in almost 3 years it's just unbelievable and reprehensible how the Russian federation buried her career even before 3A made it big. Now Nastya has a chance to resurrect her career representing Georgia.

The good news is there is a good chance she can compete in Europeans the Olympics and worlds this season if the virus allows it of course.

BittyBug

Disgusted
To be fair, Gubanova struggled after a growth spurt and was not really performing at a level deserving international assignments. But she was definitely slighted after she got her jumps back.

I really hope we get to see more of her and her wonderful musicality this season.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
To be fair, Gubanova struggled after a growth spurt and was not really performing at a level deserving international assignments. But she was definitely slighted after she got her jumps back.

I really hope we get to see more of her and her wonderful musicality this season.
We'll not mention that trip to junior worlds that should have been hers. It all went downhill from there. :drama:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Oops, I don't remember that. Did that happen the year she medalled at the Junior GPF?
It was 2018 and they sent Konstantinova instead. She was robbed of the bronze medal at junior nationals. :drama: She medalled at the JGPF in the 2016-2017 season but scored 7th at junior and senior nationals.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
It looks like Anna Frolova has lost her JGP assignment. Sofia Muravieva is now listed instead.
Oh...I was really looking forward to Anna Frolova but who can blame the federation for giving the spot to Sofia Muravieva, who did so well at JGP Kosice (1st SP, 2nd overall)? Hopefully we’ll see Frolova in the Russian Cup series at least or in an ISU challenger or srB international event? Frolova is almost too mature/elegant to be a Junior, despite her age...just turned 16, so she’s “stuck” in no-man’s-land between Sr & Jrs, in an ultra-competitive country...maybe Monaco is looking for a woman skater? 😉

Stephanie

It looks like Anna Frolova has lost her JGP assignment. Sofia Muravieva is now listed instead.
To me this is a pretty sensible decision as Frolova is old enough to do challengers. There are too many equally or more talented Russian ladies that are not senior-eligible yet.

Karen-W

To me this is a pretty sensible decision as Frolova is old enough to do challengers. There are too many equally or more talented Russian ladies that are not senior-eligible yet.
If she just turned 16 then she is old enough for senior competition...

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Petrosyan seems wasn't clean, so its Zhilina vs Aktakayeva this season ?
Samodelkina recently bombed a domestic competition.

Tobbe

Oh...I was really looking forward to Anna Frolova but who can blame the federation for giving the spot to Sofia Muravieva, who did so well at JGP Kosice (1st SP, 2nd overall)? Hopefully we’ll see Frolova in the Russian Cup series at least or in an ISU challenger or srB international event? Frolova is almost too mature/elegant to be a Junior, despite her age...just turned 16, so she’s “stuck” in no-man’s-land between Sr & Jrs, in an ultra-competitive country...maybe Monaco is looking for a woman skater? 😉
The alternative now might be to do like Gubanova/Talalaikina just did. Don't compete internationally at all, and after two years she can switch countries. Last time Frolova competed internationally was at Youth Olympics in jan 2020, so come jan 2022 those two years has already passed, giving her the chance to compete next season.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
The alternative now might be to do like Gubanova/Talalaikina just did. Don't compete internationally at all, and after two years she can switch countries. Last time Frolova competed internationally was at Youth Olympics in jan 2020, so come jan 2022 those two years has already passed, giving her the chance to compete next season.
And really, if Frolova can do that, she better do it ASAP. Now seems like a perfect time, since she hasn't skated internationally for a year and a half. No time better than the present to act on it.

Karen-W

And really, if Frolova can do that, she better do it ASAP. Now seems like a perfect time, since she hasn't skated internationally for a year and a half. No time better than the present to act on it.
Hmmmm... So what FSRs need a senior ladies skater? Moldova, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan...

hanca

Values her privacy
Petrosyan seems wasn't clean, so its Zhilina vs Aktakayeva this season ?
Samodelkina recently bombed a domestic competition.
If Akatieva is not struggling. I find it interesting that historically Tutberidze’s skaters were always very ready from the beginning of the season, and several years they won the first JGP event and set the world record, and yet this season it is third JGP and Petrosian did not seem quite ready yet, and Akatieva was not send yet. Maybe this season Tutberidze took on more than they can manage? Preparing all those seniors for the Olympics, juniors for their competitions and let’s add the pairs to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information