Russian women news & updates, 2021-22 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
crossing out Valieva and Kostornaia
and comparing them with the likes of Tennell, Higuchi, Kihira and even Liu, the juice was too high last night.
Did you watch Kostornaia's program today? There is no way that she beats Liu this weekend. Sorry. That program was empty as hell. And I LURVE Kostornaia. But, no.

Valieva is wooden and not a better skater than Kihira or Liu in spite of her "ultra-C" elements, which weren't even really there today.
I agree that it's unlikely that all 6 will make GPF but I think your logic here is ignoring many factors. We are in the middle of September and the only skater aside from the Russians we actually saw do well is Liu and while she's very much on track her scoring at Lombardia was generous. Tennell is rumored to be injured and struggled last season, Kihira is just now switching coaches and isn't the most consistent skater even on her best days, Higuchi underperformed in the latest Japanese events, and You underperformed at Cranberry Cup. The ladies' field is the toughest it's ever been imo and I wouldn't write any of the ladies off, but even if today was an off day for the Russian ladies when they are on they will take most of the rest of the field.
Liu's scoring at Lombardia was no more generous than the scoring most of these Russian skaters have received in years past.

I will grant you that we haven't seen any of the other skaters yet except You and she definitely underperformed at Cranberry, which was also a month ago. Tennell is a real unknown quantity at this time. Kihira - I had forgotten about the coaching change and I don't know what to make of it happening 6 weeks before Skate Canada. Higuchi is one of those skaters who seems very hit and miss but manages to skate just well enough in at least one GP to wreak havoc on the standings/GPF hopes of other skaters.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Did you watch Kostornaia's program today? There is no way that she beats Liu this weekend. Sorry. That program was empty as hell. And I LURVE Kostornaia. But, no.

Valieva is wooden and not a better skater than Kihira or Liu in spite of her "ultra-C" elements, which weren't even really there today.

Liu's scoring at Lombardia was no more generous than the scoring most of these Russian skaters have received in years past.

I will grant you that we haven't seen any of the other skaters yet except You and she definitely underperformed at Cranberry, which was also a month ago. Tennell is a real unknown quantity at this time. Kihira - I had forgotten about the coaching change and I don't know what to make of it happening 6 weeks before Skate Canada. Higuchi is one of those skaters who seems very hit and miss but manages to skate just well enough in at least one GP to wreak havoc on the standings/GPF hopes of other skaters.
Higuchi hasnt been a factor since 2018, when Valieva skates clean she has the highest base value and scoring, she will easily beat even Trusova, this is a test skate dear, no more am I harping of Trusovas 5 quads in a test skate :shuffle:.

Why hype Tennell , she isnt consistent either and has a technical ceiling. Liu will content but we need to see her compete against the big guns, we've seen skaters crumble as seaosn goes under immense pressure, Liu is the lone hope of US ladies and US is already putting all eggs on her. well see..

Karen-W

when Valieva skates clean she has the highest base value and scoring, she will easily beat even Trusova, this is a test skate dear, no more am I harping of Trusovas 5 quads in a test skate :shuffle:.
LOL. She's not beating 5 quads and a 3A from Trusova, honey.

I realize it was just a "test skate" - theoretically, all the pressure should be off and skating cleanly shouldn't have been a challenge unless one is coming back from injury (which is why I'm not dismissing Shcher from making the GPF based on this weekend).

love_skate2011

Banned Member
LOL. She's not beating 5 quads and a 3A from Trusova, honey.

I realize it was just a "test skate" - theoretically, all the pressure should be off and skating cleanly shouldn't have been a challenge unless one is coming back from injury (which is why I'm not dismissing Shcher from making the GPF based on this weekend).
Shcerbakova will get boost as reigning world champion, she can medal even without a quad, and she's really
a more resilient skater mentally than Trusova.

Trusova can skate clean in a test skate or practices, let see her repeat that 5 quads with triple axels in a real competition.

Karen-W

Shcerbakova will get boost as reigning world champion, she can medal even without a quad, and she's really
a more resilient skater mentally than Trusova.

Trusova can skate clean in a test skate or practices, let see her repeat that 5 quads with triple axels in a real competition.
Uhm, not arguing about Shcher's chances at making the GPF or even, really, the Olympic team. I think she's going to be near impossible to beat at Rus Nats and that will be enough to confirm her ticket to Beijing.

I don't disagree with you about Trusova's competition nerves, but Trusova and Valieva also aren't facing off against each other until the GPF at the earliest. Trusova has a much easier field at SkAm and while I think that any field with Kihira, Sakamoto, Liu and You is going to be tough, she wasn't spooked 2 years ago in the regular GPs. Her troubles came at the more prestigious events like the GPF, Rus Nats and Euros, so I expect she'll easily win and make the GPF, but I'm not convinced that Valieva will even make it to the GPF. Skate Canada is a filled field. But, say she does make the GPF, we don't know how she will stand up with the pressure there, nor do we know that she will be able to duplicate what she did at Rus Nats last year. Today doesn't fill me with confidence.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Which Trusova will we see in Boston next week? If it’s who we saw today in Chelyabinsk, then I’ll eat my hat!

Seriously, I’ve been so heartbroken by Trusova that I had given up. Then the fixation with dogs, the wacko red hair, etc. I need to see signs of stability before I get too excited. So let’s see - US Classic, Skate America...Two clean programs in each & I will overlook the silliness.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
I think they will love her in Boston, US loves explosive skaters.
This good test and strategy for Trusova

maybe its a contingency plan for the rest of russian skaters for skate america
they should do it in Canada and France, does Canada still have 10 days quarantine ?

I read Italy is having 10 days quarantine also for China and other countries, Russia isnt included
coz Italy got some Sputnik jabs.

olympic

I'll say it: Nathan barely emote for the first 2/3s of his LPs, no different than Sasha does. In fact, even Yuzu isn't much better. All she needs to do is polish up the step sequence and really sell it like Nate does.

Five quads are exhausting and take 100% of a skater's focus. None of them are immune to this. The trick is getting a program that hides it well.
Well, let me disagree a little. I don’t believe for one second that Nathan is theatrical but there are elements of subtle, mature choreography going on amidst the quad fest. Sasha really doesn’t really set up anything except the jumps, but still she is freaking amazing.
For everyone- why not let her compete with the men??? She probably could beat Kolyada and Aliev, and win the men’s title, then we get to see her in Beijing, as well as Valieva, Kostornaia, Scherbakova or Tuk?? I am only half-jesting

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Well, let me disagree a little. I don’t believe for one second that Nathan is theatrical but there are elements of subtle, mature choreography going on amidst the quad fest. Sasha really doesn’t really set up anything except the jumps, but still she is freaking amazing.
For everyone- why not let her compete with the men??? She probably could beat Kolyada and Aliev, and win the men’s title, then we get to see her in Beijing, as well as Valieva, Kostornaia, Scherbakova or Tuk?? I am only half-jesting
I'm sure if the Russian Fed could get away with it, she'd be on the men's team in a heart beat. :lol: They have plenty of women. Jumps aside, she wasn't even breathing hard when she came off the ice. She's in better physical shape then every Russian man they have.

And, she doesn't have to do 5 quads. Her 3A is there. I saw the practice clips. A 3A in the SP (which is where they have it now), three quads in the free and she wins. Hands down. No other woman can come close to her potential TES.

jenny12

That’s right here they all need to take lessons from Alysa Liu!!!!

I think this we can all agree on! 😜💜

Nathan has relatively simple choreography but I will admit his programs are generally constructed in a smart way. However, aside from Jason, no one really has mega transitions on the men’s side. So sometimes I can see a bit of a double standard in the way we talk about Trusova. But yes, there’s a way they could construct a smarter program for her that would look better without having to do that much more between the jumps.

Last edited:

mtnskater

Guess what folks, spins are a very important element in figure skating and Trusova’s are not good. I can’t believe people are comparing her programs to Nathan’s in terms of non-jump content. No comparison in my book. That said, I was thrilled to see her hit her quads! So exciting…and that she can do them post puberty. Her stock went way back up today, but let’s not forget she has a history of being very inconsistent in seniors.

Kostornaya was better today in the free but I felt classical music was all wrong for her. And I’m usually a big proponent of classical music for skating. She does modern, edgy better. She still looked shaky and underrotated on some jumps.

Bummed for Liza Tuk today. The program will bring the house down if she skates it clean. Still rooting for her!!

I liked Anna’s program except the weird middle part. Her consistency will likely keep her on the team. I love how she lifts her chin and finishes everything off. Polar opposite of Trusova. Still that toe jump technique 😵

So surprised by Valieva here. I thought she was quite consistent but her performance does bring in some doubt. Had the look of a deer in the headlights. Liked her dress much better than in the short. Liked the short program music for her. Free is just meh.

giselle23

Guess what folks, spins are a very important element in figure skating and Trusova’s are not good. I can’t believe people are comparing her programs to Nathan’s in terms of non-jump content. No comparison in my book. That said, I was thrilled to see her hit her quads! So exciting…and that she can do them post puberty. Her stock went way back up today, but let’s not forget she has a history of being very inconsistent in seniors.

Kostornaya was better today in the free but I felt classical music was all wrong for her. And I’m usually a big proponent of classical music for skating. She does modern, edgy better. She still looked shaky and underrotated on some jumps.

Bummed for Liza Tuk today. The program will bring the house down if she skates it clean. Still rooting for her!!

I liked Anna’s program except the weird middle part. Her consistency will likely keep her on the team. I love how she lifts her chin and finishes everything off. Polar opposite of Trusova. Still that toe jump technique 😵

So surprised by Valieva here. I thought she was quite consistent but her performance does bring in some doubt. Had the look of a deer in the headlights. Liked her dress much better than in the short. Liked the short program music for her. Free is just meh.
I wouldn't write off Valieva just yet. She had a bad day but her elements are still among the most difficult. Do 2 (3?) quads and a 3A, plus a 3A in the short, beat Trusova's 5 quads? I don't know. Maybe. Sasha may need that 3A in the short. But at the Olympics, tech usually wins. I would bet on Trusova if she can duplicate what she did today. Otherwise, I think Valieva is the best bet for gold. I think the other Russian team member will be Scherbackova. Kostornaia made a lot of mistakes she should not have made today and her music choices are (SP) awful and (LP) awful for her.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

...Kostornaia made a lot of mistakes she should not have made today and her music choices are (SP) awful and (LP) awful for her.
I’m glad that you’ve explained the deal with AK and Vivaldi’s Four Seasons. I had been wondering “Why the hate?” I consider it to be some of the most sublime music on the planet & perfect for an elegant musical skater like Kostornaia. Guess I’m the minority in loving it. What would be the right music for her?

p.s. At least most folks agree that the SP music with the wailing vocal is bad!

love_skate2011

Banned Member
I think one of Kostornaias programs will be replaced

Please remove those wailing sound in the SP and the FS, doesnt that remind of her time with Plushenko better replace it then
didn't Kostornaia said before she doesn't like skating to classical music.

Karen-W

I’m glad that you’ve explained the deal with AK and Vivaldi’s Four Seasons. I had been wondering “Why the hate?” I consider it to be some of the most sublime music on the planet & perfect for an elegant musical skater like Kostornaia. Guess I’m the minority in loving it. What would be the right music for her?

p.s. At least most folks agree that the SP music with the wailing vocal is bad!
Honestly, I thought that Vivaldi was a perfect choice for Kostornaia but the music cuts don't do justice to the composition and the choreography is non-existent, so overall the program is a big miss for me.

Bigbird

Well if we can
I think one of Kostornaias programs will be replaced

Please remove those wailing sound in the SP and the FS, doesnt that remind of her time with Plushenko better replace it then
didn't Kostornaia said before she doesn't like skating to classical music.
Yes she hates it. That's why Dani G gave it to her. Talk about the spiteful step sister that's him.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Do skaters no longer pick their own music? I mean coaches could throw me ideas but in the end I’m picking my programs and that’s all there is to it.

I mean I don’t need anyone to pitch me the four seasons.

😴😴😴

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Do skaters no longer pick their own music? I mean coaches could throw me ideas but in the end I’m picking my programs and that’s all there is to it.

I mean I don’t need anyone to pitch me the four seasons.
Not typically in Russia. Mishin and Moskvina always pick the music as they think they know best and the skaters agree that they do. That being said, Trusova picked her FS music herself so it depends. The skaters in the US pay for the programs and have much more freedom in what they skate to.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Not typically in Russia. Mishin and Moskvina always pick the music as they think they know best and the skaters agree that they do. That being said, Trusova picked her FS music herself so it depends. The skaters in the US pay for the programs and have much more freedom in what they skate to.

Oh dear I would not last three seconds in Russia

I’d be like this is the music I found, I’ve already self choreographed most of it, Stand back and I’ll ask you for your advice at the end. In the meantime grab me a sandwich

I mean, I’m paying them… I am in charge around here

DreamSkates

Which Trusova will we see in Boston next week? If it’s who we saw today in Chelyabinsk, then I’ll eat my hat!

Seriously, I’ve been so heartbroken by Trusova that I had given up. Then the fixation with dogs, the wacko red hair, etc. I need to see signs of stability before I get too excited. So let’s see - US Classic, Skate America...Two clean programs in each & I will overlook the silliness.
I like her red hair. She looks more mature and modern than last year. And with current coaches I think this may be her year for to come out on top including the Olympics. I’m sure her coaches will put extra effort into helping her be able to make her best effort at competitions. She has been learning how to do that and I hope she has learned how to keep her mind together during her programs.

What a way to start with 5 quads and hands over the head to boot. That takes courage AND confidence!

Frau Muller

I like her red hair. She looks more mature and modern than last year. ...

Other famous women with the exact shade of red that Sasha currently has — those who popped to my mind...and they definitely have or had loads of confidence in their time:

Ekaterina Kondaurova, tall principal ballerina, Mariinsky Theatre Ballet...lovingly referred to as “Big Red” by U.S. fans:

https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/company/ballet/soloists/principals/baleriny/kondaurova/

Artist Jeanne-Claude (late wife of other great artist Christos), who wrapped buildings and islands in bright colors

Regine, the Belgian entrepreneur and owner of many nightclubs in the disco era (still with us, at age 91!):

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information