Russian figure skating news in 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
It was more like "Terminator does Carmen", but he stayed on his feet and only had a step-out from a quad sal. The best I've ever seen him skate.

But I think Gumennik's got this.
He was down 11 points from a fall on the 3A in the SP. He only had a chance to win was if either Semenenko or Dikidzhe fell and they did not. But, Gumennik's FS was excellent. One point difference between 1st and 2nd. The final group was exciting and well skated. Semenenko eked out the win this time, but Dikidzhe is the skater of the future in Russia (curse that popped axel in the combo--that was the difference between 1st and 2nd). He needs to work on his spins and not lose points there, but he's exciting and has good jump technique, and is not the least bit nervy. His coach is a former Mishin student, but I think they have the skills to out-Mishin Mishin in the next couple of years. My complaint is that Mishin is making Lutfullin's BV too high. They need to cut the quads down to 2 and let him go clean. His posture and basic skating is Kolyada worthy just like Vetlugin and Mishin doesn't know what to do with this type of skater. And, Aliev skated well.

Somebody needs to muzzle Tarasova. The screaming was getting on my nerves big time. I couldn't hear myself screaming. :drama:

FS results https://fsrussia.ru/results/2324/rusnat2324/SEG002.HTM
Medalist Semenenko, Dikidzhe, Gumennik. Aliev finished 4th.

Last edited:

Ka3sha

I do not get the hype about Dikidzhi yet, but his jump technique is really great. Gumennik was stellar today, and Semenenko is definitely a fighter. Overall I would say that Men's is my favorite event when it comes to these Russian comps.
Of course, pairs are amazing and the level is unmatched, but I am honestly a bit tired of both M/G and B/K, and with the younger teams I have learned not to put too much hope. I do like Osokina/Gritsaenko, though.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I do not get the hype about Dikidzhi yet, but his jump technique is really great. Gumennik was stellar today, and Semenenko is definitely a fighter. Overall I would say that Men's is my favorite event when it comes to these Russian comps.
Of course, pairs are amazing and the level is unmatched, but I am honestly a bit tired of both M/G and B/K, and with the younger teams I have learned not to put too much hope. I do like Osokina/Gritsaenko, though.
Someone said Russian skating rules
1. Never doubt Shcherbakova in the FS
2. Never doubt Semenenko in the FS
3. Never doubt MishGal in the FS

I like Osokina/Gritsaenko as well, but I hope she burns that SP dress.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Absolutely. What was that costume change about anyway? The BF's mom and I were utterly confused.
One that doesn't work half the time. When the skirt does fall correctly, it's in his face while he's doing the dismount of that final lift. Her FS costume is much better.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
She was stunning on the ice today. Petrosian did not do her 3A as she's been ill, but skated a clean program. She's like a little Italian sports car speeding around the rink while Valieva was like a smooth Mercedes. The difference in PCS was deserved. Petrosian is so fast on the ice, but Valieva had her on jump GOE and spins. Muravieva landed a clean 3A, but fell on her step sequence and lost a lot of PCS. The scores are accurate. Petrosian plans to attempt 2 quads in the FS and Valieva one, but Adelia is about 50% on the quads. The winner will come down to who skates clean in the FS. Mura lets her nerves get to her almost every time and Adelia and Kamila don't so it will be between the two of them. Sinitsina was exquisite and Yamatova is a rising star. Frolova was clean and I think she's a lovely skater, but she's lacking in the spins and PCS of the other 5. I don't expect her to move up unless one of the others above her makes critical errors. I also like Gorbacheva. She does a better choreo slide than a lot of ice dancers. She had a silly error or she'd have been in 6th place going into the final. She can beat Frolova if she's clean. For some reason Rukavitsin does not have his skaters work on spins and basic skills. Frolova has high clean jumps but loses points on the other elements which she should be working on. Sinitsina is just an exquisite skater who would be on a world team in any country but Russia and winning medals compared to the rest of women's field.

Last edited:

Andrey aka Pushkin

Playing ping pong with balls of chocolate jam
First of all, one should understand how low we fell when realizing the ladies event had more variety of music than the men one. Much better quality of programs and music too. Also more clean programs.

I don't get Petrosian. She looks like a typical Tutberidze girl with nothing special about her. I reckon she has higher jumps, but as far as the SP is concerned, it's :meh:
Not fan of Muravieva either. Yes, she landed stuff, and she is super fast, but there's no control, and her jumping technique is so wild, I don't believe she might be anyhow consistent.
I will also admit and say I never got what's so special about Valieva. I saw her a couple of times live, and while she's good, it's simply unclear why she's this super amazing unique diamond of a skater. For me she's not principally different than Loena - a good powerful skater who is enjoyable to watch, but not Carolina or Kostornaya.

My pick is Sinitsina. I don't recall how old she is, but I'd guess around 17? Very clean technique, lovely program and skating; she kind of remind me of Lepisto. Yametova is a fireball, but I don't have much trust in her once she grows for a couple of cm. I also sympathize Frolova because she has a fantastic lutz and reminds me of Tsurskaya.

The other girls are lovely and fun, but I wouldn't waste my brain cells remembering they exist. Even at the best of times most of them would never make it to the big competitions, and under the current circumstances there's not much point in learning their names before they reach 17 AND Russia is allowed back.

One thing I would like to say though. Smear Tutberidze as much as you wants, no doping can give such will of power to fight for every single element even when things go wrong. No other group or nation has it, not to mention the men who are the :fragile: snowflakes.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
My problem with Muravieva is she's crying in the mixed zone after every skate (regardless of where she placed) and Plushenko is all there-there with her. She's got the skills, but she needs to stop crying and focus if she wants to win. The rest of women, irrespective of coach, are out to win. Mura is out to not lose. There is a difference. It may not work for them on any given day, but they go back to work for the next event. And, I agree with @Andrey aka Pushkin that Tutberidze manages to instill that competitive drive into her skaters that makes them fight for every point. They just don't quit. They don't skate to lose. They knew Adelia's 3A wasn't working for her so she dropped it in order to skate clean and maximize points even with the lowered BV. That's smart skating. Make what works for your skater the priority.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Well, that was the ultimate non sequitur. :lol: Nobody ever said Tutberidze doped her to give her willpower. No one particularly cares WHY she doped her. The problem is simply that she doped her.
I think his point was that no amount of doping can create the will to never give up, unless it is a drug that somehow instills willpower. Giving up was what Tutberidze explicitly ragged on Valieva about at the Olympics, not messing up jumps in the FS.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I had to miss the final group of Ladies because I had to go to the Christmas market with the BF's mom. We got to see Santa flying over the market and we got a very nice "Feuerzangenbowle" with a great "Ottifanten"-mug to go with it.
Looking forward to the FS tomorrow.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Kostornaya and hubby still look like two singles skaters skating the same program together.
Moreover, her ridiculous tattoos on her left arm are distracting.

Amy L

I'm gonna regret staying up this late, but it's been a while since I've watched Russian pairs, so I couldn't help myself!

Kunitsa is not that great of a pairs dude, the way he hauls her into lifts is skary. If she ever gets a better grasp of pairs elements, I think she'll outgrow him quickly. She's a natural skater but I don't know if she'll have the patience to stay in the bottom of the pile at Nationals for a while.

Andrey aka Pushkin

Kostornaya/mammal skated better in the free, but I actually saw more potential in the SP. That said, not worse than Valentina in her first year, and look how well that worked out.

I'm willing to forgive a lot for the possibility of having Kostornaya on the ice.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I'm gonna regret staying up this late, but it's been a while since I've watched Russian pairs, so I couldn't help myself!

Kunitsa is not that great of a pairs dude, the way he hauls her into lifts is skary. If she ever gets a better grasp of pairs elements, I think she'll outgrow him quickly. She's a natural skater but I don't know if she'll have the patience to stay in the bottom of the pile at Nationals for a while.
That's the point. She has been wuzrobbing herself publicly all season long and complaining about the marks she and hubby were getting. Just Kostornaia doing Kostornaia things.

Amy L

Whatever happened to Gristaenko, I've never seen it before. A few seconds after the music started, he bolted off the ice surface and has been working on his wonky boot lace for a few minutes already. Quoth Tarasova "Koshmar!"

Amy L

I've always liked Osokina ever since she was in juniors as a single skater. When Gritsaenko left the ice, I thought she was gonna stab him. Now that's a pairs girl!

Andrey aka Pushkin

I stand by my pick.
Boikova :blah:

Chikmareva/Yanchenkov are IT. Well matched, both are excellent skaters, amazing speed, great footwork on the lifts, the best death spiral in the business and charisma to spare.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Chikmareva/Yanchenkov are IT. Well matched, both are excellent skaters, amazing speed, great footwork on the lifts, the best death spiral in the business and charisma to spare.
But her bondage costume has to go. She is a minor, FFS.

B/K have become boring. I still prefer M/G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information