Russian figure skating news in 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Group number clip from the "Magic on Ice" show at the Ice Ribbon (National Speed Skating Oval) in Beijing, Oct. 1-3, posted by a Chinese fan in the audience: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cx4YM5nJQSq/
Same account has some Instagram story clips: Anna Shcherbakova ("Frozen"), Alexandra Trusova ("Cruella"), Alina Zagitova (Chinese music), Alina Gorbacheva (Egyptian in the Night), Petr Gumennik (Russian cover of "Sonne" by Rammstein); Mark Kondratiuk & Mishina/Galliamov are also there. ETA: And Sinitsina/Katsalapov.

Last edited:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
The Panin Memorial is taking place this week. One rather interesting entrant is Elena Berezhnaya's daughter in junior pairs - Sofia Diana Kasins (Cousins), her partner is Aleksandr Bregei whose name sounds familiar to me but I can't remember anything about him right now.

Panin Memorial Entries
It's interesting how almost all the former Russian pairs skaters have always said they don't want to have their kids even near Pairs or figure skating even and here we have Berezhnaya's daughter doing Pairs.

aliona22

It's interesting how almost all the former Russian pairs skaters have always said they don't want to have their kids even near Pairs or figure skating even and here we have Berezhnaya's daughter doing Pairs.

Hard to stop your child from doing what they love. Especially if you have the means.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Several of them were in China. Wonder what happened to spark this crackdown by the government.
No idea. According to the news first it was to the unfriendly countries only (China is a friendly country, of course), now all the countries

Why just the St. Petersburg atheletes?
No idea. Perhaps some other regions have the same rules but it haven't made it to the news

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Gummenik skated his original SP which was banned at the test skates because it was "unpatriotic". You've got to wonder if that was a trigger.

For whatever reason, this just goes to show the figure skaters can't just leave just as they couldn't during the old Soviet days when a KGB agent attended worlds and the Olympics to keep them from defecting, especially after some high profile defections such as Baryshnikov.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
^^^ I had read that Gumennik used a Russian cover instead of the original version of the song:
So did I, but he didn't find out until the day before the test skates that he had to drop the program. Moskvina just handed him the email she got and offered no explanation so who knows if using the Russian cover pacified TPTB sufficiently. Mishin and Tuk have been out of the country on vacation (Tuk) and doing camps etc., so this is something new.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Gummenik skated his original SP which was banned at the test skates because it was "unpatriotic". You've got to wonder if that was a trigger.
A trigger to St.P. ayhletes being banned from leavinv Russia? Well no, it's not just the skaters,it's all the athletes.
I seriously cant come up.with a reason to why now, why athletes and why St.P but not Moscow

rfisher

Let the skating begin
A trigger to St.P. ayhletes being banned from leavinv Russia? Well no, it's not just the skaters,it's all the athletes.
I seriously cant come up.with a reason to why now, why athletes and why St.P but not Moscow
Wow. Something has happened for sure. I wonder if Gubanova will be able to skate in Finland this weekend? She trains in StP.

Karen-W

Is that a coup happening behind that blue curtain?
I'd wager a guess that it's because St Petersburg is within easy driving distance to both the Finnish & Estonian borders. It probably wouldn't be hard to cross over in some unguarded area if one was determined.

Vagabond

I'd wager a guess that it's because St Petersburg is within easy driving distance to both the Finnish & Estonian borders. It probably wouldn't be hard to cross over in some unguarded area if one was determined.
Heck, it's difficult enough for most people to just uproot their lives and relocate within their own country, much less to a whole other country.
Apparently, TPTB in sports in St. Petersburg are worried that it isn't as difficult as you originally made it out to be.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I’d guess that the secret police got wind of a star athlete (not necessarily a skater) planning to depart permanently. Defections are really not a good look these days.

But the fact that this is new and specific means that previously there was no reason skaters and coaches couldn’t up and leave.

Primorskaya

It's a choice crossing point. Very short drive into Finland, people used to just drive there for the weekend or even a day visit when I lived there. It's a long border and most of it in wilderness, forests, taïga etc. Lots of people smuggling and illegal immigration happens there too...

rfisher

Let the skating begin
First of the Russian internal comps. Kolyada is doing commentary and Trankov has lost his Dimitrev look, thank goodness. While I haven't a clue what they're talking about, they seem very animated and having a good time. I always thought Kolyada was too shy to do commentary, but clearly he's not.

Roman Savosin had the best SP skate I've seen from him in years and Anna Frolova is 2nd behind Petrosyn with an excellent skate. Must be the year of come backs. Adelia's 3A put her in the lead.

Khuda looks healthier than I've seen her in a long while and she and Bazin skated well.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Final result: Petrosyn gold, but Frolova stole the FS show without any Ultra-C elements. Strong, mature skating with a very well choreographed program. She'd be a national champion in any other country in Europe or even the US. Gleb Lutfullin is my favorite of the Russian men. His posture is just exquisite. Hoping his time is coming. Semenenko landed a textbook perfect 4Lo that earned nearly 4.5 well deserved GOE then he Plushenko'ed the rest of the jumps. Landed them all, but how is anybody's guess. Cat feet. Dance: Khuda/Bazin easy win. Leontieva/Gorelkin skated the entire FS with his boot strap flying around. It was under his blade more than once. I was so afraid for them with every lift that he'd go down and drop her, but they skated the entire program without a bobble and finished 3rd. I don't know how either of them or their coaching team kept their composure or why the referee didn't stop them.

Last edited:

Lana K

In mourning for Kaori's 2022-2023 season hair
Tuktamysheva announced she is to miss this season.
Any reason given? :( I guess I’m not really surprised. She was stating a lack of motivation before this season even started.

Sylvia

TBD
Any reason given?
She hasn't said anything herself. ETA her IG post yesterday (Preparing for the opening performance at the Grand Prix of Russia "Heart of Siberia"): https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyfmcDTNgh3/

From an opinion piece by Anastasia Panina: https://rsport.ria.ru/20231018/tuktamysheva-1903545542.html
But what is the reason for the pause, if it is really taken? This, obviously, is not poor health, not an aggravation of an old injury, or even a fear of losing to young competitors due to poor readiness. Lisa is enviably in good health and shape - she proved this with test skates and a performance at the opening of the Grand Prix in Ufa. And this despite the fact that problems with motivation were not just read between the lines throughout the off-season, but were also stated directly by the athlete. She didn’t prepare the short program until recently, and left the free program from last season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information