Royalty Thread #8.....A Pregnant Pause

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ I've read that Archie also means 'brave.' :)

According to this, the 9th Earl of Argyll is a 10x great grandfather of Harry, through Diana's mother. Which, btw is name #7064 in what is a catalogue of direct ancestors, including handful of Archibalds. Literally thousands of direct ancestors, and that's the one they picked? A man who was executed for treason at that?

Thanks. Looking at the genealogy chart of Meghan and Harry which is not detailed on Diana's grandmother's side, I figured that it was Diana's grandmother who had the connection to the 17th century Archibald, because of the Scottish ancestors and names that do appear on Lady Cynthia Elinor Beatrix Hamilton's side of the family. For a Sussex baby girl, 'Cynthia' would be a lovely name, and it's rarely (hardly if ever) used by the royals.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Getting near time to think of a new Royalty thread title, since (sigh) Meghan's (and Harry's) first pregnancy is finally and happily over (albeit her body is still recovering). She looked tired but still glowing in the pictures today.

Yet another lovely photo:
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GVE-okik...6jJr5zC52dLPGKcK3R_FACLcBGAs/s1600/japr22.jpg

And this:
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9mmRxuKk...tTJQE_UW-9t2bxbTZPRQwCLcBGAs/s1600/japr24.jpg

Both from this site, which also describes some of the history of the St. George's Hall venue:
https://madaboutmeghan.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

mag

I really, really like Meghan’s dress. Cream is a good colour on her and I think I prefer the V neck to the boat neck styles she often favours. It looks to me like it could be quite easily altered to wear again at a later date.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
According to this, the 9th Earl of Argyll is a 10x great grandfather of Harry, through Diana's mother. Which, btw is name #7064 in what is a catalogue of direct ancestors, including handful of Archibalds. Literally thousands of direct ancestors, and that's the one they picked? A man who was executed for treason at that?
I was going to say the Campbell's would have preferred the iScottish court rather than whoever sat on the throne in London. Those Scots weren't all that keen about their British overlords. But, if I were going to pick an ancestor, one who was executed for treason would be at the top of my list. At least he was interesting.

PDilemma

If you check the photo that's available of the baby's face in close-up, there are faint wisps of red hair around the edges of the white wool cap he's wearing:
https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv

Plus, I suspect that the name 'Archie' likely came to them after the baby was born. There's red hair on the Markle side of the family as well as the Spencer side. So yep, I believe little Archie of Sussex has red hair. :D

Meghan and Harry seem focused on raising their son as uniquely himself. I get that feeling. :)

How on earth can you determine their parenting style or goals when the baby is not even three days old and all we know is his name and that they are (suitably) gushing over him as new parents do?

Seriously, are you this over the top about everything? Because if it's just Harry and Meghan, perhaps its time to focus on other things for awhile.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
One more time, the photos were not taken in Harry and Meghan’s home. They were taken at the neighbouring Windsor Castle.

Well..............this discussion is silly. Babies
OMG - it's just dawned on me - the name is a message to the loony tunes out there who doubt this is a true child of Harry - I mean we have Archie = Genuine - and Harrison = Harry's Son. Therefore this baby is Genuinely Harry's Son :D:biggrinbo:40beers:

OK - I'll shut up now :slinkaway
Well, glad we sorted that out.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Welcome baby Archie! :cheer2:

I hope they name the next one Reggie, Betty or Veronica. :encore:

I loved the Archie comics when I was growing up. :lol:

I did, too! And if they ever have triplet baby boys, I hope they name them Huey, Dewey and Louie! I've always loved Donald Duck, and can talk like him, too. When my nieces and nephews were little, they would beg me to talk like Donald Duck. :lol:

mag

Was just over a What Kate Wore to see about the Cambridges’ engagement today in Wales. Back to the discussion of William and Kate’s first home after they were married:

Caenarfon, located on the north Welsh coast, is just across from the island of Anglesey, which is very familiar territory for William and Kate. The couple lived there from 2010 until their return to London in 2013. Before they moved to London, William said he and his wife would miss their first marital home “terribly.” He continued: “I know that I speak for Catherine when I say I have never in my life known somewhere as beautiful and as welcoming as Anglesey.”

https://whatkatewore.com/2019/05/08...avorites-for-engagements-in-wales/#more-58467

aftershocks

Banned Member
How on earth can you determine their parenting style or goals when the baby is not even three days old and all we know is his name and that they are (suitably) gushing over him as new parents do?

Seriously, are you this over the top about everything? Because if it's just Harry and Meghan, perhaps its time to focus on other things for awhile.

Excuse me? You can take care of your time and your life, and don't worry about mine.

It's not OTT to wonder whether the baby might have red hair. There are quite a number of people wondering (maybe not that many people here, but others have wondered in this thread). And there are many casual observers, as well as huge Sussex fans who have been eager to see the baby because of his interesting and varied heritage. I'm not surprised the baby appears to have olive-toned skin with nose and full lips that seem to resemble Meghan's. Male children often resemble their mothers. It's not unusual for people to discuss who in the family new babies take after. That's a normal conversation that's surely been discussed about other royal babies, as well as among every family when newborns arrive. Of course, babies do change quite a bit. I think Prince Louis looks quite different from his first baby pictures. It must be fun for parents seeing how their babies grow and their personalities form.

To me it seems quite odd that some people here are so adamant and OTT about me suggesting that I can detect what looks to me like faint strands of red hair. Harry is a ginger. Red hair runs in the Spencer family, and also in the Markle family. Ah well, sadly there are such a lot of spoil sports everywhere though, not just in this thread.

Meanwhile, interestingly, it's been recalled how a lady walking her dog one day in January, ran into the Cambridges' nanny, Maria Borrallo, with Prince George and Princess Charlotte near their grandmother Middleton's home. George reached down to pet the lady's dog, and the lady asked George his name (although she already recognized him). George said, "I'm called Archie." So perhaps George had a hand in suggesting to his Uncle Harry and Aunt Meghan that name for a boy baby! :) Maybe George has read the Archie comics and really likes the name, or perhaps adopted use of the name in public for security purposes. Who knows!
https://www.aol.com/article/enterta...l-baby-sussexs-name-back-in-january/23723296/
https://www.brides.com/story/prince-george-predicted-cousin-name-archie

Japanfan

It's not OTT to wonder whether the baby might have red hair. There are quite a number of people wondering (maybe not that many people here, but others have wondered in this thread). And there are many casual observers, as well as huge Sussex fans who have been eager to see the baby because of his interesting and varied heritage. I'm not surprised the baby appears to have olive-toned skin with nose and full lips that seem to resemble Meghan's. Male children often resemble their mothers. It's not unusual for people to discuss who in the family new babies take after. That's a normal conversation that's surely been discussed about other royal babies, as well as among every family when newborns arrive. Of course, babies do change quite a bit. I think Prince Louis looks quite different from his first baby pictures. It must be fun for parents seeing how their babies grow and their personalities form.

I think you are right that many people are wondering about the baby's hair color, looking to see the color of stands of hair in photos, and thinking about which parent or other relative he looks like.

But I also think it is OTT. The Brits do tend to be rather OTT about their royals.

ADDING: I just hate the name Archie, period - for any boy. JMHO. Aside from not like the name, it always brings Archie Bunker to mind.

Also, the child's hair color will be evident soon enough. Nothing to fret about IMO.

Last edited:

canbelto

Excuse me? You can take care of your time and your life, and don't worry about mine.

To me it seems quite odd that some people here are so adamant and OTT about me suggesting that I can detect what looks to me like faint strands of red hair. Harry is a ginger. Red hair runs in the Spencer family, and also in the Markle family. Ah well, sadly there are such a lot of spoil sports everywhere though, not just in this thread.

Meanwhile, interestingly, it's been recalled how a lady walking her dog one day in January, ran into the Cambridges' nanny, Maria Borrallo, with Prince George and Princess Charlotte near their grandmother Middleton's home. George reached down to pet the lady's dog, and the lady asked George his name (although she already recognized him). George said, "I'm called Archie." So perhaps George had a hand in suggesting to his Uncle Harry and Aunt Meghan that name for a boy baby! :) Maybe George has read the Archie comics and really likes the name, or perhaps adopted use of the name in public for security purposes. Who knows!
https://www.aol.com/article/enterta...l-baby-sussexs-name-back-in-january/23723296/

I saw the pics. You cannot really distinguish facial features like "full lips" or "red hair" from a 3 day old infant. Even skin color is hard to gauge from the generally pink look most newborns have. He looks like a healthy newborn baby that's all.

Meanwhile... its spring. Go outside and smell the roses.

Lorac

Well after running errands in town I went to my favourite local coffee shop for a cappuccino and bacon and cheese scone (yum) and sat and checked out several of the papers provided free of charge to read. All of them had huge close up pictures of Archie and I'll be damned if I can see any hair let alone the colour of it - I even asked the lady at the next table who also was unable to spot hair either. Though I did find it funny that one paper noted the likeness of little Archie's nose to his maternal grandfather's - maybe that's why Harry was quick to say how baby's looks change all the time :D

But I was more put out by the continual comparisons to William and Kate which in many cases implied how much better Harry and Meghan are!! Take for instance how several columnists pointed out how Harry was holding the baby so that indicated what a fantastic father he would be whereas William just smiled and waved to the crowds after George's birth!! How selective people memories are as William and Kate did a rather nervous hand over of the baby on the steps of the hospital from Kate to William and there are dozens of pictures to prove it. Also Harry and Meghan chose to have a small select group of journalists there to ask a few - vetted - questions and take the pictures they wanted so no need to wave at anyone!!

Then there are the compliments to how good Meghan looked - whereas Kate has been criticised for looking too good after giving birth - make up your minds people!! Meghan had time to be carefully made up and had a new designer dress delivered along with heels - that many Mom's groups on the internet had hoped she wouldn't wear - and looked way more glamorous than Kate did after her 3 births - not that Kate was unglamorous - just more natural IMO.

But the kicker to me - and a few columnists noted this - was that by not giving young Archie Harrison Mountbatten Windsor a title of any sort showed how the Harry and Meghan wanted to bring their child up as not encumbered by his royal heritage. However there he was having his first pictures taken in one of the most regal place in the United Kingdom - the great hall of Windsor Castle with Mom and Dad looking very elegant. And then one of the first pictures released to the Sussex's Instagram account is of Archie being introduced to his great grandparents - who just happen to be Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh. For all their protestations that this child will be brought up as normal as possible they have certainly made sure no one will forget he is in fact royal!! Even though the Queen met all Wills and Kates kids a few days after their birth not one picture made it to the internet. It does make you wonder!! Time will tell obviously but the very carefully crafted stage-managing if this introduction to the world of Harry and Meghan's child is very, very different to the organic manner in which Kate and Wills introduced their kids to us!!

Jenny

From the Bloc
But the kicker to me - and a few columnists noted this - was that by not giving young Archie Harrison Mountbatten Windsor a title of any sort showed how the Harry and Meghan wanted to bring their child up as not encumbered by his royal heritage. However there he was having his first pictures taken in one of the most regal place in the United Kingdom - the great hall of Windsor Castle with Mom and Dad looking very elegant. And then one of the first pictures released to the Sussex's Instagram account is of Archie being introduced to his great grandparents - who just happen to be Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh. For all their protestations that this child will be brought up as normal as possible they have certainly made sure no one will forget he is in fact royal!! Even though the Queen met all Wills and Kates kids a few days after their birth not one picture made it to the internet. It does make you wonder!! Time will tell obviously but the very carefully crafted stage-managing if this introduction to the world of Harry and Meghan's child is very, very different to the organic manner in which Kate and Wills introduced their kids to us!!

Excellent points. And of course, as the Cambridge children have been growing, the "official" images released of the children and the family have generally been very casual in their dress, usually taken outdoors, often by Kate herself - including of the child who is directly in line and will very likely be King one day.

Also kinda funny that while Meghan was wearing a (albeit lovely) designer dress, grandmama was wearing a sweater, just another day at home for her :lol:

On another note, FauxPrinceGeorge has assigned a nickname to his new cousin :rollin:

skategal

Bunny mama
I think all introductions of royal babies and subsequent photos are carefully crafted and orchestrated.

William/Kate & Harry/Meghan are just taking different approaches to how they are doing things.

They are both doing what works for them and their family.

Neither is better than the other. Just different.

PDilemma

For someone who writes an essay for every post, you don't read other posts very well. I suggested that your declarations as to Harry and Meghan's parenting intentions are over the top. Not your hair color speculation. Though, frankly, as other people have pointed out, it is a bit.

Your declarations regarding these people are made as if they are your best friends and you have had long conversations with them about all of their choices. You claim, over and over again, to know their motivations for everything. And you all but worship Meghan everywhere on this thread. Frankly, it all reminds me of a tenth grade student I had years ago. She talked about Paris Hilton this exact same way. And wrote about her the same way for every single free writing time in her journal for my class. But she was in tenth grade and I assume that she's a tad bit embarrassed about that obsession were anyone to bring it up now.

attyfan

But the kicker to me - and a few columnists noted this - was that by not giving young Archie Harrison Mountbatten Windsor a title of any sort showed how the Harry and Meghan wanted to bring their child up as not encumbered by his royal heritage. However there he was having his first pictures taken in one of the most regal place in the United Kingdom - the great hall of Windsor Castle with Mom and Dad looking very elegant. And then one of the first pictures released to the Sussex's Instagram account is of Archie being introduced to his great grandparents - who just happen to be Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh.....

Pictures of being introduced to royal great grandparents don't last that long -- no one will think of them much when the kid starts school. Names and titles are different -- fitting into the "normal world" seems to have gone a little easier for Anne's (untitled) children than for Andrew's (titled) children. That the baby's legal surname is Mountbatten Windsor also may prove to be irrelevant, since other royal children used a surname based on dad's title. For example, Harry's legal surname is also Mountbatten Windsor, but IIRC, when he went into the army, he was "Harry Wales" (his dad's title being Prince of Wales)

FWIW, I think Harry and Meghan are doing things a bit more "Hollywood" than William and Kate, simply because they like it -- maybe, it is one reason why Meghan went into acting.

However, that William and Kate are sometimes unfairly criticized doesn't alter the fact that Harry and Meghan are also unfairly treated. For example, Meghan was criticized for implementing some "American" traditions (a baby shower etc) instead of British ones ); now that the baby is given a name that is reasonably popular in Britain, she is getting slammed because the name is somewhat of a joke in America.

Reactions: JJH

quartz

scratching at the light
My great-grandparents were dead and gone for decades before I came along, (my mom was the youngest of her siblings by 12 years, and I am the youngest of my siblings by 8 years) - I think its lovely that all these royal babies get to have photos not only with their grandparents but with TWO great-grandparents as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information