Royalty Thread #11: Putting the "Fun" in Dysfunctional

Status
Not open for further replies.

becca

Yep, and clearly there are days at polo when the press are given permission to photograph Kate and kids on the sidelines. They go to more than one or two matches a year yet we only ever see photos from one polo match and maybe one day at horse trials and there are usually cousins around to play with. It really is possible to make it work but there needs to be respect on both sides. I am afraid with H&M the respect is now gone from both sides.
I think the agreement is public events. But I do think the Cambridge kids are getting a Lot of opportunity to be kids. George’s whole pudding video showed that he is a kid!

canbelto

Meghan looked very at ease in those photos. Like if she knew the cameras were there she didn’t care. She was walking her cute dogs and cuter babY. She had the “I’m out and about, take pics if you want but there’s nothing to see here” look perfected down to the yoga pants.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Back in the day I remember Diana and Charles and the boys took regular ski holidays - private not public. I read back then that they had an agreement with the press so you'd see a couple of shots of the four of them in their ski gear, and then the press would leave them alone.

Agree with @mag - doing a walk down the driveway with some coffee (and donuts!), spending a few minutes saying hello and smiling for the cameras would go a long way.

Sure, there are photographers trying to get exclusives, so they'll want something no one else has. But a lot of them are just on assignment, they need to submit something, and once they do they move on to the next assignment. I'm sure other than the most dedicated paparazzi, most of them would rather be home in their beds or making their next buck than hanging out for days trying to get a shot that might never come.

Makes me think of the walkabouts the royals do. They never meet everyone, but they do enough so that people feel lucky that they got to speak with them or get a picture, the press gets a bunch of images, and the whole thing takes the royals ten minutes. And the walks they do to church services, all nice and easy and planned so that everyone gets what they want with minimal fuss.

I do think that's what Meghan was trying to do, and took the opportunity while Harry was away to do it, knowing he wouldn't want to.

mag

Both Harry and Meghan have talked about asking people how they are doing. Harry told the crowd at a We Day event to ask people how they are and then listen to the answer. I think he should practice what he preaches. Go and ask those reporters and then listen. I think he might be surprised how easy it would be to work things out.

canbelto

Camila was super-rude at H&M's wedding, giggling throughout. Kate shot her quite a few dirty glances and at one point seemed to be talking to her in a very angry tone.

mag

Camila was super-rude at H&M's wedding, giggling throughout. Kate shot her quite a few dirty glances and at one point seemed to be talking to her in a very angry tone.

I think one needs to be careful about these videos where clips are spliced together. If you are going to believe the one about Camilla at the wedding, are you also going to believe the ones that purport to show Meghan be rude and disrespectful? I tend to think that the people who put these videos together generally do it to make a point. Whether or not the point is fair is up for debate. The above video loaded after I was watching something completely unrelated. What I thought was interesting is, from the quotes from Harry, it is clear that he and William get on well with Camilla, which I think is nice. Barring evidence, I see no reason to believe that Meghan and Camilla didn’t get along.

MsZem

I see the sea
Yes, Camilla seems like the chatty type rather than a sit still and listen to the sermon type. She'd be fun to hang out with, especially in circumstances involving wine :D

It's Zara Tindall who seemed to be enjoying herself the least at the Sussex wedding, but then she was extremely pregnant with Lena.

canbelto

I think one needs to be careful about these videos where clips are spliced together. If you are going to believe the one about Camilla at the wedding, are you also going to believe the ones that purport to show Meghan be rude and disrespectful? I tend to think that the people who put these videos together generally do it to make a point. Whether or not the point is fair is up for debate. The above video loaded after I was watching something completely unrelated. What I thought was interesting is, from the quotes from Harry, it is clear that he and William get on well with Camilla, which I think is nice. Barring evidence, I see no reason to believe that Meghan and Camilla didn’t get along.

I see no evidence that they didn't get along either. But I did think Camila giggling throughout the ceremony was a bit out of place. Everyone else was very respectful and solemn.

Jenny

From the Bloc
And yet I recall at the time that people thought the Queen was too somber. Surely there's a happy medium, it's supposed to be a joyous occasion.

Reactions: mag

MacMadame

Doing all the things
He has got this far based on his fluke of birth.
I don't think that's entirely fair. The guy did do two tours of Afghanistan after all.

I also think it's possible he had PTSD from that (based on some comments they've made about the press and mental health). If so, I think we need to give him a break. One of my cycling friends has it and she can't have anyone standing behind her. It can lead to some weird interactions if you don't know what's going on. My point being, I don't think Harry can do many of the things people are suggesting and it's not because he's stupid or rude but because he's sick.

mag

I don't think that's entirely fair. The guy did do two tours of Afghanistan after all.

I also think it's possible he had PTSD from that (based on some comments they've made about the press and mental health). If so, I think we need to give him a break. One of my cycling friends has it and she can't have anyone standing behind her. It can lead to some weird interactions if you don't know what's going on. My point being, I don't think Harry can do many of the things people are suggesting and it's not because he's stupid or rude but because he's sick.

He absolutely gets credit and gratitude for his time in Iraq. I also think there is some serious PTSD going on. My point was that if he was not born a Prince, Iraq or not, we would not be talking about him and no one would give a toot about his thoughts on climate change or pretty much anything else. It is also extremely unlikely he would be married to Meghan.

Judy

Meghan looked very at ease in those photos. Like if she knew the cameras were there she didn’t care. She was walking her cute dogs and cuter babY. She had the “I’m out and about, take pics if you want but there’s nothing to see here” look perfected down to the yoga pants.

If It’s one thing I believe is that both Meghan and Harry are in agreement with the press. I also don’t think that people realize that a photographer can be a mile away and with the types of cameras used get a good shot. The photographer is also taking multiple pictures at once. The warning to the media is just that - a warning.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
If It’s one thing I believe is that both Meghan and Harry are in agreement with the press. I also don’t think that people realize that a photographer can be a mile away and with the types of cameras used get a good shot. The photographer is also taking multiple pictures at once. The warning to the media is just that - a warning.

High-speed cameras can take more than a dozen frames per second. It wouldn't be too hard to go through that many shots and find at least one where the subject seemed to be looking right at the camera.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
He absolutely gets credit and gratitude for his time in Iraq. I also think there is some serious PTSD going on. My point was that if he was not born a Prince, Iraq or not, we would not be talking about him and no one would give a toot about his thoughts on climate change or pretty much anything else. It is also extremely unlikely he would be married to Meghan.

Do you mean he was born a prince?

PTSD or not, Harry was hostile to the press long before that.

The Guardian
Harry’s disdain for the media was inevitably shaped by the death of his mother, Princess Diana, killed in a Paris car crash while being chased by paparazzi, when he was just 12 years old. The subsequent public mourning – which prompted the Daily Mail’s infamous declaration that it would never again buy paparazzi images – permanently tarred his relationship with the press. This only worsened throughout his 20s and early 30s as tabloids bought pictures of him wearing a Nazi uniform and dancing naked in a Las Vegas hotel.

Judy

Do you mean he was born a prince?

PTSD or not, Harry was hostile to the press long before that.

The Guardian

Harry for sure is partially shaped by what happened to his mom. We can all give our opinions that we’ll it was all an accident but there was a massive revolt against the media. I lost my brother at a young age from cancer and he had two girls who were 7 and 11 and it took a long, long time for them to recover and deal with that. Until we have walked in someone else’s shoes we can’t possibly understand what that was like.

starrynight

I must say that I'm getting a little confused about what Meghan and Harry intend to do.

Ever since the split, they've been posting heaps of stuff on instagram about initiatives linked to the royal family and the commonwealth. Here for example. Based on these posts - the most recent one in particular which is so incredibly formal in its wording and constantly using titles and the whole lot - you'd never even think they've quit being full time working royals.

If they want to continue on like this, why quit being a working royal? The day to day privacy and protection afforded in the UK behind palace walls is much higher than out in the public. I'd get it if they wanted to be just plain old Harry and Meghan and retreat from the public eye - or even just Meghan and Harry doing charity work. But they seem to be proceeding as business as usual with their social media being all Duke and Duchess this, Duke and Duchess that and talking about themselves in the third person.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I must say that I'm getting a little confused about what Meghan and Harry intend to do.

Ever since the split, they've been posting heaps of stuff on instagram about initiatives linked to the royal family and the commonwealth. Here for example. Based on these posts - the most recent one in particular which is so incredibly formal in its wording and constantly using titles and the whole lot - you'd never even think they've quit being full time working royals.

If they want to continue on like this, why quit being a working royal? The day to day privacy and protection afforded in the UK behind palace walls is much higher than out in the public. I'd get it if they wanted to be just plain old Harry and Meghan and retreat from the public eye - or even just Meghan and Harry doing charity work. But they seem to be proceeding as business as usual with their social media being all Duke and Duchess this, Duke and Duchess that and talking about themselves in the third person.

Someone in People magazine (Penny Junor?) said, in relation to the Invictus Games, that if Harry had been plain old Harry Wales he never would have been able to get something like that off the ground so quickly. I suspect that's why H&M are pushing the "Duke" and "Duchess" stuff, because that lets them draw on whatever currency/reputation they've developed as royals. That's their main selling point right now.

Reactions: mag

Judy

Back in the day I remember Diana and Charles and the boys took regular ski holidays - private not public. I read back then that they had an agreement with the press so you'd see a couple of shots of the four of them in their ski gear, and then the press would leave them alone.

Agree with @mag - doing a walk down the driveway with some coffee (and donuts!), spending a few minutes saying hello and smiling for the cameras would go a long way.

Sure, there are photographers trying to get exclusives, so they'll want something no one else has. But a lot of them are just on assignment, they need to submit something, and once they do they move on to the next assignment. I'm sure other than the most dedicated paparazzi, most of them would rather be home in their beds or making their next buck than hanging out for days trying to get a shot that might never come.

Makes me think of the walkabouts the royals do. They never meet everyone, but they do enough so that people feel lucky that they got to speak with them or get a picture, the press gets a bunch of images, and the whole thing takes the royals ten minutes. And the walks they do to church services, all nice and easy and planned so that everyone gets what they want with minimal fuss.

I do think that's what Meghan was trying to do, and took the opportunity while Harry was away to do it, knowing he wouldn't want to.

I really don’t think it’s as easy as that when you are dealing with photographers making big money from the papers in the U.K. though. I am pretty sure Harry knows that much.

rvi5

High-speed cameras can take more than a dozen frames per second. It wouldn't be too hard to go through that many shots and find at least one where the subject seemed to be looking right at the camera.
The photographer(s) may also have shot video, then extracted still frame photos. Here is one article posting a video taken at that time...

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Harry for sure is partially shaped by what happened to his mom. We can all give our opinions that we’ll it was all an accident but there was a massive revolt against the media. I lost my brother at a young age from cancer and he had two girls who were 7 and 11 and it took a long, long time for them to recover and deal with that. Until we have walked in someone else’s shoes we can’t possibly understand what that was like.
You are, of course, correct.

IMO - you never get over a loss like that. You cope with it better, but you never forget. My dad died when I was 16. I had three younger siblings. That event helped shape each of us......and in different ways.

Judy

You are, of course, correct.

IMO - you never get over a loss like that. You cope with it better, but you never forget. My dad died when I was 16. I had three younger siblings. That event helped shape each of us......and in different ways.

Very, very true. My brother was only 40 (Cancer). It’s been a long time but you never forget. His girls are grown up now but they don’t forget either and yes it has shaped all of us in different ways. hugs To you that must have been very difficult.

Lorac

William and Kate will be attending the BAFTA’s again this year. Looking forward to the dress!

There's an excellent chance Kate may wear a dress she has already worn as BAFTA are asking all attendees 'to avoid wearing new dresses, or opt for a sustainable option':

The reason why Kate Middleton might not wear a new dress to the BAFTAs

mag

mag

Prince Louis spotted “in the wild”

Prince William get a new role from the Queen

It is a position that is appointed every year so has probably been in the works for a while. I do hope not everything the Royal Family does this year will connected by the media to H&M’s departure.

mella

Prince William get a new role from the Queen

It is a position that is appointed every year so has probably been in the works for a while. I do hope not everything the Royal Family does this year will connected by the media to H&M’s departure.

Unfortunately I think you will be disappointed. It will become like the "tributes to Diana" in everything Kate wears!

I read this morning that Beatrice is being forced to delay her wedding because of it. Andrew's woes were then noted as an after thought in the second to last paragraph of the article with the GE and Brexit.

The recent increased visibility of Sophie Wessex and her daughter also being attributed to Harry's exit which seems silly to me since as you note above such things will have been months if not years in the planning.

Aftershocks is right about one thing i think -
The press know that connecting H&M to something in a headline will likely increase the click through rate so they make the most tenuous links to catch attention and up their traffic.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
The Prince Louis article used an old photo which I found very strange. Nothing to see here.

Barbara Manatee

Yep, nothing to see is the whole point. The article is sending a message: "Look at how fair the press is. The royal family plays by our rules, we play by theirs. They talk to us, we don't publish pictures of them out and about. Win-win. Harry and Meghan, if you get papped now, that's on you not us."

Judy

Yep, nothing to see is the whole point. The article is sending a message: "Look at how fair the press is. The royal family plays by our rules, we play by theirs. They talk to us, we don't publish pictures of them out and about. Win-win. Harry and Meghan, if you get papped now, that's on you not us."

it is the tabloids that are the issue .. they always were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information