Royalty Thread #11: Putting the "Fun" in Dysfunctional

Status
Not open for further replies.

starrynight

I presume that royal engagements are worked out some time in advance. I wonder what has occurred with the ones that Meghan and Harry were set down to do?

Japanfan

And the drama continues. I can't believe it. How much did he already earn for selling interviews, pictures, and letters?

I totally appreciate that Megan's dad is in a tremendous amount of emotional pain. I understand that he might feel that Megan should help him financially and be caring towards him.

But he really should not be sharing it on the world stage. It's not going to help, only going to hurt him. Especially if he is willing to testify against his daughter, which could ruin any help he had forthcoming.

Husky

He earned a lot of money by selling details about his daughter to various press agencies. Maybe he should have tried to ask for financial support. I am pretty sure that also Harry had helped. It looks more that he simply enjoys the attention.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Has anyone considered the fact that she might have been smiling at her son? Reportedly the man was behind a bush taking pictures with a long-angle lens. Maybe she didn't know he was there. And just because someone is well-known IMO it doesn't give anyone the right to stalk them & hide in order to take pictures.

antmanb

I still think it's incredibly naïve to think that stepping back from Royal Life (and the protections it affords in the UK) and moving to Canada would somehow get the press off their backs. Starting out their new life by threatening the press in Canada seems like yet another bad move on his part. I'm sure Harry will want the press all over the projects he starts up once he's settled so alienating them now seems very short sighted.

I feel like Harry needs some guidance through this transition but he's probably pushed away the few people who might be able to help him.

mag

Has anyone considered the fact that she might have been smiling at her son? Reportedly the man was behind a bush taking pictures with a long-angle lens. Maybe she didn't know he was there. And just because someone is well-known IMO it doesn't give anyone the right to stalk them & hide in order to take pictures.

Except the photographer was not “stalking” her. She was on a public trail. It is not illegal in Canada to take and publish her photograph. She knows that, Harry knows that, their lawyers certainly know that. The warning from the lawyer was an attempt to try and get public sympathy by inferring that the photographer was breaking the law. They are counting on people not realizing that the photographer was playing by the rules.

Lorac

Except the photographer was not “stalking” her. She was on a public trail. It is not illegal in Canada to take and publish her photograph. She knows that, Harry knows that, their lawyers certainly know that. The warning from the lawyer was an attempt to try and get public sympathy by inferring that the photographer was breaking the law. They are counting on people not realizing that the photographer was playing by the rules.

Harry seems to have aimed the warning at the UK media though. If he was in the UK the picture would have fallen under the privacy rules that were established after Diane's death. However Harry has chosen to step back from royal duties and the picture was taken legally in the country he seems to have chosen to stay in. Not sure he can stop the UK media printing pictures obtained legally. Harry once again seems to want to have his cake and eat it to.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Let's see. Meghan looking tight into the camera...nope.

Last edited:

mag

More on Kate’s two day tour of the U.K.

Prison visit:

With children in Wales:

Judy

Right......

the security staff are unaware too. It’s naive not to think about the long distance range and type of cameras these photographers use. He/she is not hiding a few feet from them. Kinda silly to even participate in discussing this lol.

Judy

He earned a lot of money by selling details about his daughter to various press agencies. Maybe he should have tried to ask for financial support. I am pretty sure that also Harry had helped. It looks more that he simply enjoys the attention.

I don’t think he is that stable.

mag

You can still be stalked in public places.

Absolutely it can and it is a very serious issue, which is why using the term when describing a photographer snapping photos of Meghan is disingenuous. I do believe that Meghan and Harry should be able to go for walk without being photographed. The law may say it is okay, but I totally get the intrusion. IMHO, the way to deal with this is not by trying to sue and threaten. The adversarial relationship that has been created between the Sussex’s and the press is not in their best interest. There are plenty of examples out there of extraordinarily famous people who have figured out a way to both lead private lives and do a great deal of charity work. It is not impossible.

“...What behaviours comprise stalking?
Stalking can include a number of different behaviours intended to control and frighten the person being stalked. Most commonly, this can involve:*
  • repeated telephone calls (the caller may hang up or remain silent on the line) to your home, cell phone or workplace in order to “track” your whereabouts
  • repeated letters or stealing mail
  • repeated emails [threatening or obscene e-mail or text messages; spamming (in which a stalker s ends a victim a multitude of junk e-mail); live chat harassment called flaming; leaving improper messages on message boards or in guest books; sending electronic viruses; sending unsolicited e-mail; and electronic identity theft]
  • sending unwanted gifts (flowers, candy, etc.)
  • showing up uninvited at work or home
  • following, watching, tracking
  • threatening harm to the person being stalked, her family, friends, pets
  • harassing her employer, colleagues or family
  • vandalizing her car or home
  • harming pets
  • assault (physical, sexual, emotional)
  • kidnapping, holding hostage...”
*my emphasis

MsZem

I see the sea
King Felipe of Spain spoke on behalf of world leaders at an event in Jerusalem marking the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz. King Willem Alexander of the Netherlands, King Philippe of Belgium, the Grand Duke of Luxembourg, the Prince of Wales, and Crown Prince Haakon of Norway are also attending, along with many other world leaders and dignitaries.

becca

I think if you want to live public lives you aren’t going to have it both ways.

You can’t control the press And it seems like they do want public lives since she is posting charity events she attends.

I think with press you have to pick your battles.

starrynight

I really liked the excerpts I saw from Prince Charles' speech from Davos.

All this Megxit stuff has caused me to look closer at the engagements of the other royals and to have a look at their schedules. Just realised how much stuff royals like Princess Anne and Prince Edward and Sophie do without much media attention.

canbelto

All this Megxit stuff has caused me to look closer at the engagements of the other royals and to have a look at their schedules. Just realised how much stuff royals like Princess Anne and Prince Edward and Sophie do without much media attention.

I think last year Anne and Charles had the most engagements.

Reactions: mag

mag

I think last year Anne and Charles had the most engagements.

I think you are correct. I also think last year is the first year Charles slightly edged out Anne for number of engagements. Anne has had the most per year forever!

becca

I imagine at this point they do it not for adulation but to help the Queen and to serve their country besides media attention comes good and bad.

taf2002

Harry seems to have aimed the warning at the UK media though. If he was in the UK the picture would have fallen under the privacy rules that were established after Diane's death. However Harry has chosen to step back from royal duties and the picture was taken legally in the country he seems to have chosen to stay in. Not sure he can stop the UK media printing pictures obtained legally. Harry once again seems to want to have his cake and eat it to.

How in the hell is a photog hiding in the bushes & taking photos that they never agreed to is having your cake & eating it? All of you people defending the poor lil' paparrazi just doing his scummy job sound like if someone is a celebrity they aren't entitled to their life. Several articles say the paparrazi is stalking the house & trying to take pictures thru the windows. Is that acceptable to you?

mag

Several articles say the paparrazi is stalking the house & trying to take pictures thru the windows. Is that acceptable to you?

Articles and tv hosts say many things that aren’t necessarily true. There was a news report over Christmas by one of the local tv stations. They showed the perimeter of the property. It is well fenced and the gate has been blocked so you can’t see through it. Perhaps, with a long lense from the water side you could get a photo of ... the house, but there are tons of those photos already around from when the property was for sale.

Waiting for people to drive onto a public street is not stalking. The use of that word really bugs me. It is like when they said Meghan was being hounded by the paparazzi in the U.K., or when the media called out hypocrisy they were “bullying.” None of these are true. I don’t see anyone suggesting that they don’t deserve privacy. What is being said is that there isn’t a law against what the photographers are doing.

Hundreds of huge celebrities come to BC every year. I have stood in boarding lineups at YVR with everyone from Jack Wagner to the cast of Riverdale, I have seen Tom Selleck in restaurants, Robert Redford at traffic lights, the list goes on. All of them come here because residents and the media are respectful. But it is a two way street. I know Meghan knows that, and she also knows how to play the game. Harry, now that he has given up the protections afforded him in the U.K. is going to have to learn.

The above linked article from the commissioner is very good. He basically states that there is a balance. A balance that both sides are going to have work out. Bullying the media is to going to work. Harry needs to take a deep breath, swallow his ego, and work out a deal.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
How in the hell is a photog hiding in the bushes & taking photos that they never agreed to is having your cake & eating it? All of you people defending the poor lil' paparrazi just doing his scummy job sound like if someone is a celebrity they aren't entitled to their life. Several articles say the paparrazi is stalking the house & trying to take pictures thru the windows. Is that acceptable to you?

UM...........celebrity comes with a pricie. And the "poor lil' paparrazi" are operating within the law.

So, no, they are not entitled to "their life". This is where freedom of the press and cost of fame come into play.

They be taking the $$$$ they be paying the price.

taf2002

UM...........celebrity comes with a pricie. And the "poor lil' paparrazi" are operating within the law.

So, no, they are not entitled to "their life". This is where freedom of the press and cost of fame come into play.

They be taking the $$$$ they be paying the price.

I can't believe you actually said that out loud put that in print. Decent people don't think famous people owe them anything. Oh wait...

Peaches LaTour

Without the backdrop of the exquisite pageantry & history of the British Royal Family, interest of the current magnitude in these two will diminish fairly rapidly.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I can't believe you actually said that out loud put that in print. Decent people don't think famous people owe them anything. Oh wait...

And yet we do want to see them, and to know more about them. We want to see them and their babies, we want to witness their weddings, we want every detail on their clothes and their jewels, why they chose their kids' names, where they live and vacation, who their friends and boyfriends and girlfriends are, and what they think about any number of topics. I remember the excitement when we first heard Kate speak even (she has a voice!), not to mention all the details on her difficult pregnancies, and look at all the fuss when Archie was not presented within a day or two of birth, and the wish that they'd reveal whether or not he has red hair!

I realize much of what we talk about here and is talked about in so many other places is all the nice stuff and it's pretty much limited to what they decide to give us (even if we always want more) but I do think that's what some people mean when they say having their cake and eating it too. If they want to use their celebrity to promote causes that are dear to them (which is a good way to use your celebrity), then they have to expect that the public wants to know more about them, because that's what makes them celebrities in the first place. And as far as owing anybody anything, I think they actually do owe British subjects and taxpayers quite a bit. Canadians not so much, but we live in an increasingly borderless world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information