Royalty Thread #11: Putting the "Fun" in Dysfunctional

Status
Not open for further replies.

starrynight

@becca you realize Meghan can't be loved as the Queen because she isn't the Queen right? She doesn't have the kind of history the Queen has with the British people.

Yes of course, the Queen has served for almost 70 years and Meghan has left after 20 months. It's impossible to compare a situation where one looks at 70 years of history vs the immediate present. Often we can't even tell what's happening right now and it's only upon later reflection that we understand the significance of events.

If in a future parallel universe, Meghan remained in the royal family until she was in her nineties, who knows how things could have panned out? No one knows. Could anyone have predicted that Princess Elizabeth would go on to become the longest serving monarch in British history and probably the most successful to have ever reigned? I don't know.

But what I do know is that there is going to be one heck of vacuum left when the Queen passes away and I think that everyone in the royal family needs to be ready for an enormous test. For almost everyone alive today, no one else has known any other monarch aside from the Queen and the transition is not going to be simple.

Last edited:

Jenny

From the Bloc
Until the Daily Mail, Daily Express, Sun, etc. find out where they are and send reporters over, or hire local writers and paparazzi to follow them around. It will be very easy for them to reach Saanich since the Victoria airport is right next door.

If H&M want to be in the Commonwealth and avoid reporters/photogs as much as possible, they should go to New Zealand IMO. Lots of remote areas and it's a looooong and expensive plane trip from Europe and North America :)

I'm hearing from :sekret: that media have been camping out at Jessica Mulroney's house in Toronto. Yes she's Meghan's best friend but given that by all accounts Meghan is on the other side of a very large country, this might be a sign of things to come.

Also, while some may think Canadian media are "nicer" than UK media, there are still photographers and reporters in Canada who are getting stories for the international press, either as stringers or freelancers.

That's why you had Jay Z and Beyonce who are billionaires and titans of the entertainment industry standing in a queue to shake hands with Meghan and Harry -- and looking thrilled about it. It's why you have billionaires rushing to give them mansions rent free.

In any other kind of world, very talented billionaires wouldn't give two stuffs about a supporting actress from Suits and an ex-serviceman.

A few years back I had a friend who worked at a very fancy hotel and she told me that Beyonce and Jay Z were their favourite guests. They paid full price for everything (many celebrities expect freebies), were always polite to staff, and always left their room in decent shape - they even made their own beds!

starrynight

This is a really good article about why it's likely that Harry has been moving towards leaving the Royal Family for a long long time:

It's a good read to remind us all that this thing isn't just solely about Meghan and certainly didn't materialise over night.

Part of me actually wonders that people could be doing Meghan a massive disservice by making out that some bad press caused her to run for the exits, when she could actually be supporting Harry in doing something he's wanted to do for a very long time?

skategal

Bunny mama
This is a really good article about why it's likely that Harry has been moving towards leaving the Royal Family for a long long time:

Part of me actually wonders that people could be doing Meghan a massive disservice by making out that some bad press caused her to run for the exits, when she could actually be supporting Harry in doing something he's wanted to do for a very long time?

Yes. That’s always been what have thought but of course, that doesn’t fulfill the “Meghan is evil” narrative that some people want perpetuated in the media.

starrynight

Yes. That’s always been what have thought but of course, that doesn’t fulfill the “Meghan is evil” narrative that some people want perpetuated in the media.

Harry has always been super popular, so it's probably very hard for people to understand that he doesn't want his public life. It feels easier to blame the new wife rather than face the reality that he's just not that into us lol.

attyfan

The second son in "The Firm" has never had a "defined" role; only one "allowed" to him.
That must be difficult to accept, under the best of circumstances.

I totally agree. Furthermore, once upon a time, the second son's "allowed" role really allowed some scope for the brother's abilities (when two of Henry V's brothers ran Framce and England for the infant HenryVI, for example). This doesn't happen any more.

What does the Governor-General of Canada do? According to this, Canadians would like Harry in this job:

becca

@becca you realize Meghan can't be loved as the Queen because she isn't the Queen right? She doesn't have the kind of history the Queen has with the British people.
Of course not but what I am saying that the love could grow over time and a lot of it comes by quietly doing her duty.
Kate was heavily criticized not like Meghan but still in the beginning. However she has grown to be more and more loved and some of it is again because she has just quietly gotten on with it. I have heard say she is shy.
I have read articles and many are saying they aren’t surprised Meghan is cutting and running when things get tough it’s what she does.

MsZem

I see the sea
CP Haakon has (supportive) thoughts about Harry and Meghan:

Will they be there for the Japanese state visit?

puglover

The one thing I just don't personally get is the way they have gone about this. Maybe I am naive and this is the only way they could break free but this has created such a huge media hullabaloo and so much speculation. The royal family has not been prepared to provide the answers. Archie remaining in Canada and Meghan returning here and this big meeting - I guess I wonder why they could not have met privately, ironed out the details, and made an announcement in tandem when they had a workable plan with far less drama. Regardless of current differences, this is Harry's family - his grandmother, father and older brother who love him and I am sure ultimately want what is best for him and his family. I certainly can't speak for Brits but most people seem to think being royal is not that enviable and a changing role for those not in direct succession is progressive and logical. I guess I am confused - if this is a plea for a lower profile, less media attention, and an opportunity to live and work away from the glare of cameras - it seems a rough start.

Last edited:

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....

I agree. I think @becca is doing Meghan a disservice by harping on duty as she is. Let's say she is a royal princess & she's told she has to make a morganic marriage to an international playboy with a terrible reputation who is not Catholic "for the good of her country". Would she do it? I think not.

I did my duty to my mother even though I really didn't want to. I did not give up my life to her. Becca wants Meghan to live her life in a way that is making her deeply unhappy for duty. Easy for her to say (though perhaps hypocritical).

Meghan had a life that was rewarding & that made her happy. Sure, she wasn't famous but just dating Harry made her well-known like Cressida & Chelsea. If she had backed out of wedding Harry she would still be well-known like they are. And everything we know about her leads me to believe that fame was something she wanted to get for herself, not on Harry's coattails.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
To @AxelAnnie and @Oreo , this is what I was getting at in post #242:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...x7xAuIKZlZePccrVUh0rZZ1FfdfX-Irst1qsLwFVQGoW8

Thanks @clairecloutier for linking that earlier.
All due respect the headlines are simply not equivilant. Kate cradeled her bump. OK. The point with Meghan was that she ALWAYS had her hands around her bump.

Did you read these? A child gave William an avacado gift wrapped with a bow to give to Kate. The boy said it helped his mother when she had morning sickness. I can't even get what Meghan is accused of doing with avacadoes.

Cherry picking (no pun intended) headlines to show unfair treatment won't show an accurate picture.

Last edited:

Barbara Manatee

'Some people say,' 'there are reports' and 'someone who knows her told me' are no way to get at the truth of a person's behavior or character. People misunderstand, they twist things to fit their narrative, and often they flat out make stuff up especially in situations where there are sides to be taken. I mean, I've read that Will is bitterly jealous over any attention that Harry and Meghan get. It's been said he cheats on Kate all the time but she doesn't care because she only married him to become a princess. Some people claim she lied about the the severity of her morning sickness so she could get out of having to work. Many aren't surprised that Kate only does what's expected because she's never accomplished anything on her own. It's all just gossip and spite.

Kate and Meghan are different women from different background with different jobs. It isn't fair or logical to suggest that one should try to act like the other.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Yes of course, the Queen has served for almost 70 years and Meghan has left after 20 months. It's impossible to compare a situation where one looks at 70 years of history vs the immediate present. Often we can't even tell what's happening right now and it's only upon later reflection that we understand the significance of events.

If in a future parallel universe, Meghan remained in the royal family until she was in her nineties, who knows how things could have panned out? No one knows. Could anyone have predicted that Princess Elizabeth would go on to become the longest serving monarch in British history and probably the most successful to have ever reigned? I don't know.

But what I do know is that there is going to be one heck of vacuum left when the Queen passes away and I think that everyone in the royal family needs to be ready for an enormous test. For almost everyone alive today, no one else has known any other monarch aside from the Queen and the transition is not going to be simple.

Interesting. The last paragraph is really true.

As to the first paragraph, the Queen was trained in duty and love of country. I want what I want when I want it is a very American and very Millennial way of thinking. (It is also why Americans generally suck at pairs skating).

kittyjake5

The one thing I just don't personally get is the way they have gone about this. Maybe I am naive and this is the only way they could break free but this has created such a huge media hullabaloo and so much speculation. The royal family has not been prepared to provide the answers. Archie remaining in Canada and Meghan returning here and this big meeting - I guess I wonder why they could not have met privately, ironed out the details, and made an announcement in tandem when they had a workable plan with far less drama. Regardless of current differences, this is Harry's family - his grandmother, father and older brother who love him and I am sure ultimately want what is best for him and his family. I certainly can't speak for Britons but most people seem to think being royal is not that enviable and a changing role for those not in direct succession is progressive and logical. I guess I am confused - if this is a plea for a lower profile, less media attention, and an opportunity to live and work away from the glare of cameras - it seems a rough start.

We may never know. There may have been personal issues that were going on between Harry and Meghan that led up to
the quick announcement. No judgment just a thought.

Reactions: mag

Judy

The one thing I just don't personally get is the way they have gone about this. Maybe I am naive and this is the only way they could break free but this has created such a huge media hullabaloo and so much speculation. The royal family has not been prepared to provide the answers. Archie remaining in Canada and Meghan returning here and this big meeting - I guess I wonder why they could not have met privately, ironed out the details, and made an announcement in tandem when they had a workable plan with far less drama. Regardless of current differences, this is Harry's family - his grandmother, father and older brother who love him and I am sure ultimately want what is best for him and his family. I certainly can't speak for Britons but most people seem to think being royal is not that enviable and a changing role for those not in direct succession is progressive and logical. I guess I am confused - if this is a plea for a lower profile, less media attention, and an opportunity to live and work away from the glare of cameras - it seems a rough start.

I read one article last night that Harry found out it was about to be leaked and they decided to post the news.

puglover

I agree that we will probably never know - and that is for the best. However, this is not to be a clean break but a sort of half and half deal - if I understand it correctly. I hope when the dust settles on this that is still the best path. I am sure the Queen is disappointed but then most of us have disappointed family members in one way or another as we make decisions we view in our best interests and she is nothing if not resilient.

Judy

Right now U.k. saying Trudeau agrees to pick up security tab and in Ottawa he says nothing decided yet lol.

Barbara Manatee

The point with Meghan was that she ALWAYS had her hands around her bump. [...]

Cherry picking (no pun intended) headlines to show unfair treatment won't show an accurate picture.
But did she ALWAYS have her hand on her bump, or were photos of her touching it cherry picked as soon as photographers and papers realized it was clickbait? If she did put her hand on her bump more than Kate, or you, or your friends, or some other women you know or saw - so what?

Do you genuinely not see unfairness in a newspaper saying Kate's cradling is protective of her baby while Meghan's is done to mock infertile women?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
But I don’t think Elizabeth is loved because she is super charismatic. The point is that I suspect a part of getting loved is quietly doing your duty. And that begrudgingly earns respect.
There are many ways to be both beloved and respected. Quietly doing your duty is one of them but it's not the only path.

I get that this is what you want for Meghan but that doesn't mean her not picking for herself is somehow wrong.

And, despite what you keep saying, PLENTY of people are beloved for being both charismatic and woke.

I think what rubbed people the wrong way was not the not wanting to be working royals but rather we want to pick and chose our royal duties and part time but want all the priveleges and perks like keeping funding from his Dad. Keeping funding public security etc. And the public way it was done. With elderly grandparents.
Everyone has good and bad.
Except most of this hasn't been said at all. In fact, we have few details. We don't know what royal duties they will have, if any, if they will keep their titles or not, how long the transition plan will be to get them off the royal money, and financially independent, how much public money they will or will not end up taking, etc.

So you've essentially decided this what they really meant by what little has been said and then you are slagging them for it. If it rubs you the wrong way, why not put a more charitable interpretation on what they have said?

Winnipeg

Seems odd to me to worry about someone cradling a bump but then...........gee whiz

I can see how it would be hard to always be second best and to be treated as if you are in a "lower class" just because you are born second and not because of any achievements. I realize that is how it is with royalty and birth order but am just saying it must get tiresome to be the second..............as an American, Meghan may have felt everyone was "equal" and did not like finding out she is/was not (not just her but everyone lower that the W and K).

Polaris

I'm hearing from :sekret: that media have been camping out at Jessica Mulroney's house in Toronto. Yes she's Meghan's best friend but given that by all accounts Meghan is on the other side of a very large country, this might be a sign of things to come.

Jessica Mulroney is married to Ben Mulroney, who works in the entertainment news industry. His co-worker, Elaine Liu, has basically been Markle's PR person via her blog LaineyGossip.

becca

For the record I don’t have a problem with Harry and Meghan deciding it is not for them.

When I talk about duty I am merely saying it’s the most important aspect of being royal. It has never been all fun and games. it has never been all glamour not everyone is cut out for it. If George said I don’t want it I would support his right to live his life.

However what I did not like is the way Harry and Meghan went about this okay breaking the news. Okay a lea

But publishing financial details that hadn’t been worked out yet. Expecting your Dad to fund you the same when your not going to contribute the same to the family business?

It reeked of entitlement. We want all the benefits of royalty all the glamour and the fun stuff and the money but none of the hard stuff.
Plus his Grandfather just got out of the hospital
And I always had my questions about Meghan being a good fit. Nothing to do with race and everything to do with reports of ghosting former friends and family. Her dads initial sin of letting the paparazzi take flattering photos seemed minor after all he did for her. It seemed like someone quick to run out of people’s life’s like that might not do well under scrutiny of royalty.

I absolutely think some of the criticisms like her cradling her baby bump are ridiculous

puglover

I don't follow the tabloids or much social media so FSU is my big information source. What about her family members who have been so critical and crass? Are they staying out of it?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
But publishing financial details that hadn’t been worked out yet. Expecting your Dad to fund you the same when your not going to contribute the same to the family business?

It reeked of entitlement. We want all the benefits of royalty all the glamour and the fun stuff and the money but none of the hard stuff.

When have Harry and Meghan explicitly said any of this?

MsZem

I see the sea

Jenny

From the Bloc

When have Harry and Meghan explicitly said any of this?

Right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information