Royalty Thread #10 -Archie Phase 2 - Bold and Bald Still

Status
Not open for further replies.

antmanb

What'd it say?

It was along the lines of Meghan has come under a lot of fire from the British press for, for example, flying in Elton John's private jet, guest editing British Vogue and wearing jeans to Wimbeldon. So you might have thought that when it emerged that Prince Andrew has been flying around the world on the private jet of a convicted paedophile and sex offender, you might have imagined that the outrage would be far greater. But in fact journalists have been equating the two as if their actions are completely comparable.

Its funnier and better said than all that but the woman then turns to the camera and very deadpan says "So how do we explain this harsher treatment of Meghan compared to the other Royals who are white..."

She then goes on to point out a journalist from the telegraph opening a critique of Megahn's editing of Vogue asking if she could make the criticisms she was about to make without being accused of racism and then went on to complain that Meghan's cover for Vogue had 15 woman on the cover, only five of which were white. The comedian then says ironically says "Can everyone please stop accusing this woman of racism, for goodness sake, all she's saying is that there are too many brown faces on the front cover of vogue. And maybe she's right to be concerned, out of over 1,200 covers of British Vogue, there have been 30 with black women on the front cover already!".

Last edited:

Winnipeg

You can select the Edit Thread title function in Post #1 within 24 hours of creating the thread.

I would suggest "Everything's Archie" or "Archie and Betty and Veronica" as replacement titles, but I don't think either of those would satisfy @Zemgirl . 🤷‍♂️

So now it is too late

Winnipeg

I am surprised that Andrew has been able to brush this Epstein thing off so quickly. I think, if the allegations are true, pretty egregious.............

Jenny

From the Bloc
I think it also has a lot to do with Meghan being a woman and Andrew being a man. Generally speaking, we are much more tolerant of the mistakes of men than we are of women.

You may be right. I'm finding post #metoo, even during, that it became sort of "here's another one, no surprise." Famous and powerful men have been involved in scandals related to their treatment of women since pretty much the dawn of time, so maybe every time a new one is exposed, it's just another dick to add to the pile of dicks that's always been there.

Plus, even though nothing is ever truly forgotten, there's just so darn much out there that it's hard to hold anyone's attention for long.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Wishing the new couple the best.

On the plus side with the fiancé: their families know each other and he has a charity project in Rwanda in addition to his business. On the downside, he had a child with another woman (baby is now 2) and he was engaged to her last year. Hope that woman is prepared for the onslaught.
OOPS!

puglover

So did Beatrice have to ask for permission to marry from the Queen or is she too far down the line? Or is that just a pleasant formality - like asking for the matriarch's blessing?

JJH

I think Beatrice is ninth. Isn't it 1-Charles, 2 William, 3 George, 4 Charlotte, 5 Louis, 6 Harry, 7 Archie, 8 Andrew, and 9 Beatrice?

aftershocks

Banned Member
... dealing with Meghan and Prince Andrew

Well, I can't view the video, but the lumping of these two together is rather erroneous in terms of the fact that Meghan has actually brought nothing but positives to the U.K., the British economy and the royal family. The British media's unconscionable negativity toward Meghan is out of bounds. ETA: Thanks for explaining that the video parodies the way the media treats Meghan & Andrew equally harshly, even sometimes lumping them together in a negative way as if they somehow both present problems for the Brit monarchy. :drama: In fact, many astute royal observers have suggested (and I agree) that unfair negative stories about Meghan have been used to distract from Andrew's woes.

The media's spotlight should be focused more fully and positively on the work Meghan is doing, along with her husband on their SA tour, that is about serious issues relating to opposing violence against women and eradicating land mines -- the polar opposite of the shenanigans Prince Andrew is alleged to have been engaged in with his former friend Epstein:

... we are much more tolerant of the mistakes of men than we are of women.

The idea that Meghan has made mistakes of the magnitude of Prince Andrew is a complete fallacy, and an ongoing negative narrative created by some royal reporters and British tabloids, partly because they want more access to Meghan & Harry, and they want to control how the public perceives them. It's not happening. Meghan & Harry have been navigating the media minefield quite brilliantly. But that truth is only apparent to openminded people of goodwill who have actually been paying attention.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Chris Ship of ITV news is appearing to belatedly get what the Sussexes are truly about and why it wasn't a good thing for the press to harangue Meghan throughout her pregnancy. :drama: The narrative that the Sussexes somehow need a boost in how they are viewed, has been a false narrative created and perpetuated by the British media. But at least Ship's below article finally acknowledges how hard the Sussexes work, and notes some of the unique pressures they are under, in addition to outlining how the important issues M&H are advocating for right now in SA have brought larger public attention and shined an important spotlight: https://www.itv.com/news/2019-09-28...k-about-the-world-s-most-talked-about-couple/

In other British royal news, congratulations to Princess Beatrice and her beau, Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi! Royal followers have been anticipating an engagement announcement, but I don't think it was expected this soon. Beatrice & Edo began dating seriously a year ago, although they've known each other for years and their families have been friends for a long time. I thought there might be an announcement next year. But I suppose now is as good a time as any especially as the couple appear to be on very solid footing. Another royal wedding is welcome, and I hope it will also be televised like Eugenie's was last October. Certainly this news is a pleasant distraction from the self-imposed negative scrutiny the York sisters' father has been experiencing. Unfortunately so far, there hasn't been an engagement interview with Bea & Edo like the brief one Eugenie & her partner Jack gave when they got engaged.

Since Beatrice was previously in a ten-year relationship that ended unhappily with a chap some key members of the royal family did not care for (including William), I'm very glad for Bea that she found a new and apparently deeper connection with someone who is such a handsome and accomplished bloke. Edo comes with a cute young son, Christopher Woolf ('Wolfie'), whom he fathered out of wedlock with his former Chinese-American girlfriend, Dara Huang.

More royal engagement pictures and talking points reminiscent of the lovely engagement pics of Harry & Meghan. :)

Princess Eugenie took the color photos shared by mother, Fergie, in the above twitter link. Below is an additional selection of b&w photos taken by Misan Harriman:

Some Brit tabloids are questioning where Beatrice and her beau will marry. I will be surprised if they don't marry at St. George's Chapel. It's a lovely setting, as we saw with the exciting Sussex wedding on a gorgeous spring day in May. In addition, Princess Eugenie and Lady Gabriella Windsor enjoyed intimate yet grand nuptials in this ancient Windsor family venue. As well, Eugenie and Beatrice grew up at Royal Lodge, Windsor. I hope the heat on Prince Andrew will not detract from Beatrice's wedding being celebrated in as public a fashion as her younger sister's was last October.

This guy Edo is a keeper! His declaration is so romantic, I'm swooning :swoon:

And wow, Edo put such great thought, time and detail into the ring design with jeweler to the stars and to the royals, Shaun Leane. The below article includes a large, detailed view of the ring. It's quite special, mixing Edo's love of Art Deco with Bea's love of Victorian-era design:

On the downside, he had a child with another woman (baby is now 2) and he was engaged to her last year. Hope that woman is prepared for the onslaught.

In today's world, I personally don't view Edo having a son out of wedlock as a downside. It's a human life event. Edo fully acknowledges his son, and he has been sharing in raising him. I think it's a good thing that Edo ultimately didn't allow himself to be pressured into marrying his former girlfriend simply because they have a son together. Edo is clearly a happier choice as well as a family-connected choice for Beatrice than the previous guy she dated who jilted her and married someone else 8 months later. As well, Edo is an improvement over the American entrepreneur Bea was seen with in LA early last year (although they were said to only be associated for business purposes ;) )

Regarding anything resembling an onslaught on Dara Huang, it's old news that neither Dara nor her parents reacted well to Edo starting to date Beatrice a year ago. The British tabs were full of stories for weeks, some of it generated by public comments by Dara and her parents. Eventually, Dara and her parents quieted down and seemingly have accepted the inevitable. I don't doubt that Wolfie will continue to be an important part of Edo's life, and that Beatrice will be supportive and lovingly involved. Hopefully, some reconciliation with Dara was achieved.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I really liked the above article by Ship about the tour. I've been looking at the pictures (mostly Archie) but hadn't read any of the articles.

aftershocks

Banned Member
The latest news about the SA tour with pictures, including this one:

On the Beatrice & Edo wedding front, there's lots of speculation about where and when they will marry. The consensus being May or June at St. George's Chapel, Windsor. There's speculation too that Bea will borrow yet another tiara from the Queen, as did her sister, Eugenie (and as did Meghan). There is the tiara their mother Fergie wore, but some royal observers suspect that Fergie sold the tiara out of financial necessity, sometime after she and Andrew divorced. There has been no confirmation. The below site provides info on the tiara Fergie wore, which had been purchased especially for her by the Queen, from Garrard's:
http://theenchantedmanor.com/tag/sarah-fergusons-wedding-tiara/ Scroll down to Sarah Ferguson's wedding

"Sarah wore her red hair in long loose curls and her bridal veil was attached to her head with a floral headpiece when she arrived at the abbey... Later after the vows and signing the registry, Sarah removed the floral headpiece and exchanged it with a diamond tiara which had been purchased for her from Garrard’s by her new mother-in-law, Queen Elizabeth."

Since Eugenie chose a gorgeous emerald tiara very suited to her coloring and to her dress. I hope Beatrice will also borrow a special tiara that looks good on her, whether or not her mother's tiara is still available (most likely it isn't anyway). And I hope Andrew's woes will not detract from Beatrice and Edo enjoying their wedding day.

This picture of all the recent and not-so-recent British royal wedding rings was posted on Twitter:

There are some similarities to the Queen's, Sophie's, Meghan's, Autumn's, and Bea's rings. I really like the unique styling of Bea's ring, and I like the Queen's and Meghan's. But all of these diamonds are very elegant and classy. Meghan's has additional special meaning for her and Harry because he designed it using stones from his mother's jewelry as well as the large center stone sourced from Botswana. The care Edo took in designing the ring for Beatrice is also very romantic. It's a gorgeous design. I don't know the history behind the other exclusively diamond rings.

Wallis's large square-cut emerald is rather ugly and ostentatious, but it comes from a different era. We can't see good views of the Queen Mother's and Margaret's rings. Princess Anne's two separate engagement rings are similar in styling but with different color stones. I think her second ring is prettiest. Camilla's ring is rather over-large and blocky. Sarah's seems a bit large in the photo, but the starburst is a nice feature. I think the coloring of Eugenie's stone is taking somewhat after her mother's, but the color is softer and the design more compact. I think it suits Eugenie's coloring.

Zara's ring is small and delicate-looking, but very elegant and pretty. Meghan's ring originally had a gold band which they switched out with a thin diamond band, since she now wears it with her gold wedding band. The color of Diana's ring is pretty, but even for the time, it was rather over-large and old-fashioned. I guess it has special meaning for Kate since it belonged to Diana, but it might have felt more special to have a ring romantically designed by William, rather than one passed down from what was a less than loving union.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
@aftershocks, I agree about Kate's ring. I don't know why William didn't give it to Kate for her right hand, maybe for George's birth. That ring doesn't have a romantic history & IMO is too gaudy. (So is Camilla's.) Everyone who knows me knows that I love jewelry but it doesn't need to look like you're wearing a king's ransom on your finger. I also don't know why Kate doesn't put a ring fit on it so the stone doesn't roll around.

puglover

I noticed that Meghan did not wear her engagement ring in South Africa and the pictures show her with a simple band - maybe a few stones, I'm not sure. The reason for this I read was out of respect for the people they would meet and a desire to be more relatable or words to that effect. I also thought it is a wise choice when holding a squirmy baby who could be hurt by the points of a larger stone. Good choice, I thought.

ballettmaus

I guess it has special meaning for Kate since it belonged to Diana, but it might have felt more special to have a ring romantically designed by William, rather than one passed down from what was a less than loving union.

There may be another story there, though.

I like Beatrice's ring the most. I'm not a fan of large stones and narrow bands. I like how with her rings the stones kind of flow into the band and it narrows gradually.

mag

I guess it has special meaning for Kate since it belonged to Diana, but it might have felt more special to have a ring romantically designed by William, rather than one passed down from what was a less than loving union.

I have always thought Charles did it right by letting Diana choose her own ring. I am not a huge fan of the ring, but then I don’t have to wear it. I have always thought that men “designing” rings for their fiancés (especially when the men have no training in design) is rather selfish rather than romantic. It is the woman who has to wear that ring for the rest of her life. What if she doesn’t like it? What is she to say? And yes, I do personally know three women in that position, and know of another two. Do something romantic with jewelry that isn’t worn every day, or go together to pick out or design rings. Seems a lot more romantic to me if it is done as a couple.

I was thrilled when I thought Meghan had changed her ring to a style she preferred (and for the record I still think she did but Harry wanted to protect her from the uncalled for blow back.) She should have a ring that suits her and that she likes and the upgraded version is lovely on her finger.

kittyjake5

Wow that is quite a statement from Harry. How the heck did the Mail get a hold of Meghan’s private letter? Was it stolen?

Lorac

Wow that is quite a statement from Harry. How the heck did the Mail get a hold of Meghan’s private letter? Was it stolen?

The only one I can think of is the letter Meghan apparently sent to her father who then supposedly released to the press back in the early part of this year. If so I'm not sure Meghan can sue when the letter was sent to her father - it becomes his property surely and he can do what he wants with it. But maybe there is another letter that I am unaware of as I don't read the Daily Mail/Mail on Sunday.

mella

The only one I can think of is the letter Meghan apparently sent to her father who then supposedly released to the press back in the early part of this year. If so I'm not sure Meghan can sue when the letter was sent to her father - it becomes his property surely and he can do what he wants with it. But maybe there is another letter that I am unaware of as I don't read the Daily Mail/Mail on Sunday.

But the allegation seems to be that they quoted the letter in a dishonest manner to perpetuate their own perspective. So may be it's not the fact they published it but that they did so in an untruthful way?

Last edited:

Lorac

But the allegation seems to be that the quoted the letter in a dishonest manner to perpetuate their own perspective. So may be it's not the fact they published it but that they did so in an untruthful way?

That could be it. This lawsuit isn't something that Meghan would have taken lightly and I'm sure she has had some excellent legal minds advising her as to her options.

clairecloutier

There's a big article about in The Guardian (can't link to it from my phone). The article says that authors of letters retain copyright even after the letter is out of their possession, which is probably why they chose to pursue this lawsuit. There are some long quotes from Harry's statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information