RIP HM Queen Elizabeth II

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Do we know where Harry's and Meghan's kids are? If they're with them, maybe Meghan stayed behind with the children, just like Kate did?
They remained in California. I know they're both small children, but I really hope that Doria is flying with them from LA to UK today. Family should all be together at a time like this.

skatfan

Do we know where Harry's and Meghan's kids are? If they're with them, maybe Meghan stayed behind with the children, just like Kate did?
As Karen notes, the children remained behind in California, hence the murkiness. Some press reports initially said they were both going to Balmoral, then it changed to just Harry.

D

Deleted member 221

No, they will start printing money with the new monarch on it, but money already in circulation will still be legal tender. It will slowly be withdrawn from circulation and replaced, but that process takes a long time (years). Even today if you had money with the queen’s father on it, it would still be legal tender. Some shops might not accept it, but banks would.

The money in the UK has changed in the past five years, and the old money is no longer legal tender. This is different from what is commonly done in the US or (I think) Canada. With each switch, a deadline is set at which point the old money is no longer legal tender and withdrawn from circulation. The timeframe is usually 1-2 years. No shop in the UK will accept the old pound coins, bills, etc. Even the banks don't legally need to take the old money, though most will - especially small amounts.

Most seem to be expecting the same thing to happen here with bills, though not with coins. Given that we just switched to the polymer money, and the bills have a typical shelf life of five years, I hope we make a gradual replacement with both Queen and King versions being legal tender for at least the expected shelf life.

If onceupon comes back in the next two years, I think she'll be fine. If she comes back after that, she may just need to pop into a bank to switch out the notes. Various American tourist friends had small amounts of pre-2017 money and were always able to switch it.

TOADS

Toad whisperer.....
I am amazed at the length of her reign.

I remember vividly watching her coronation on a black and white TV at a neighbor’s house with some of my friends. We were all in the 1st grade and the event made a big impression on all of us.

Now I am 76 and all my friends who were there with me have all passed away.

What a reign, but more importantly, what a person!

RIP your majesty.

becca

I think about how hard it is for children to step into the role of a famous parent and I really feel for Charles. He's in a lose-lose situation. If I were him, I'd probably just turn the job over to William in a year or two.
If Charles ever abdicates I don’t see it being for those reasons. He was raised better. I also don’t think he will do that to his son or grandchildren.

People keep on saying they want the Crown to be skipped over to William but I highly doubt it’s what the Cambridge’s want. They have very young children. This gives them time to be parents and have less spotlight away from the kids and doesn’t leave George one life away from the throne.
He knows what it’s like to be a young kid raised by a monarch

I could see maybe Charles retiring before he gets to 96 but if he does so it will be in consultation with his son and about his own frailty and not just because he isn’t as popular as mom.

King Charles is not a perfect man see his affair but he has always tried to life up to his public duties. Not every Duke of Cornwall has funded so much of the funds into charties. I think he will do some needed clean ups and give his kids time.

Right now the longer George and the other Cambridge kids get some semblance of normal happy childhood the best it is for all.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 221

Things today in central London seem relatively normal - stores crowded, trains crowded. I made sure to dress in black, etc., but I can’t say I notice others doing the same. In general life seems to be going on which is probably what HM would have wanted. Maybe the Platinum Jubilee a few months ago helped us mentally get ready for the passing of the baton.

To that end, I was thinking this morning that this was a merciful way to go. There were already starting to be whispers about whether the Queen would need to abdicate (which she never wanted to do), the constitutional risks and complications of having Prince Charles function as Prince Consort, etc. In addition to alleviating suffering, this alleviates a lot of awkward legal and potentially reputational issues. It doesn’t make it less sad, though. :(

skategal

Bunny mama
The money in the UK has changed in the past five years, and the old money is no longer legal tender. This is different from what is commonly done in the US or (I think) Canada. With each switch, a deadline is set at which point the old money is no longer legal tender and withdrawn from circulation. The timeframe is usually 1-2 years. No shop in the UK will accept the old pound coins, bills, etc. Even the banks don't legally need to take the old money, though most will - especially small amounts.

Most seem to be expecting the same thing to happen here with bills, though not with coins. Given that we just switched to the polymer money, and the bills have a typical shelf life of five years, I hope we make a gradual replacement with both Queen and King versions being legal tender for at least the expected shelf life.

If onceupon comes back in the next two years, I think she'll be fine. If she comes back after that, she may just need to pop into a bank to switch out the notes. Various American tourist friends had small amounts of pre-2017 money and were always able to switch it.
This is the same for Canada as well.

There is always a deadline announced for the switch. After such time, stores won’t accept the money but banks will.

It is always a 18-24 month timeframe for the changes.

Canada has decommissioned the one dollar bill, the two-dollar bill, the penny and switched from paper bills to plastic bills all in the past 25 years or so.

liv

I awoke today and the reality still hasn't really sunk in yet. Watching video of King Charles leaving for London seemed surreal. While the Queen became monarch very suddenly, and had not known how ill her father was, Charles knew it would happen sooner rather than later given her age, and is fully prepared for the role... but her death was still sudden because we all saw those pictures with Liz Truss just 2 days earlier. She looked well, for 96 (I work in long term care and see those her age and older, regularly). The Racing Royals to Balmoral shows everyone was taken by surprise at the quick deterioration.

As to that, I'm glad, for The Queen, that the last hours of decline were brief. From welcoming the Prime Minister 48 hours before, to her death, that is very quick. Many people linger and suffer, for weeks or months, but this doesn't seem to be the case. I wish that for all my clients, but it rarely happens.

While I have little respect for Harry and Meghan, I'm glad for him that he was already in the UK when this happened. He was far away when his grandfather passed. Flights from LA are long. He was very close to his grandmother. I know he arrived too late to see her before her death, but getting to Balmoral, being able to say a private goodbye away from prying eyes, is so important. I have no doubt he suffers from regret at declining her invitation to see her at Balmoral, but we live with our choices. I wonder what their schedule will be, H&M, knowing they are supposed to return to the USA soon, but now having a massive reason to remain. Will they remain or go back and return for the funeral? Or just stay the whole time?

What history we will witness. A royal funeral for the monarch, a coronation, which the majority of us haven't seen...

Life for the Cambridge kids will be different now. Before, their father had more time, now he will be Heir to the Throne and his work will increase. I'm just glad they had these years as a family before the duty call became stronger.

MLIS

Things today in central London seem relatively normal - stores crowded, trains crowded. I made sure to dress in black, etc., but I can’t say I notice others doing the same. In general life seems to be going on which is probably what HM would have wanted. Maybe the Platinum Jubilee a few months ago helped us mentally get ready for the passing of the baton.

To that end, I was thinking this morning that this was a merciful way to go. There were already starting to be whispers about whether the Queen would need to abdicate (which she never wanted to do), the constitutional risks and complications of having Prince Charles function as Prince Consort, etc. In addition to alleviating suffering, this alleviates a lot of awkward legal and potentially reputational issues. It doesn’t make it less sad, though. :(
I agree although a death is always sad, this one seems to have come quickly and peacefully at the end of a long, well lived life, with family by her side. I’m sorry more of her family wasn’t able to say goodbye, but they all spent time with her over the summer. What more could any of us ask for?

I stand corrected about currency. Thanks to others for their more nuanced explanation.

becca

I agree although a death is always sad, this one seems to have come quickly and peacefully at the end of a long, well lived life, with family by her side. I’m sorry more of her family wasn’t able to say goodbye, but they all spent time with her over the summer. What more could any of us ask for?

I stand corrected about currency. Thanks to others for their more nuanced explanation.
That’s what I was thinking when I heard her health was declining that it would be swift and quick for her. Because long term she wasn’t going to get better. Still stinks for the family and Nation who will miss her.

She live a great life.

rvi5

This is the same for Canada as well.

There is always a deadline announced for the switch. After such time, stores won’t accept the money but banks will.

It is always a 18-24 month timeframe for the changes.

Canada has decommissioned the one dollar bill, the two-dollar bill, the penny and switched from paper bills to plastic bills all in the past 25 years or so.
Apparently the currency switch will occur gradually, and may take many years to complete...

VGThuy

If Charles ever abdicates I don’t see it being for those reasons. He was raised better. I also don’t think he will do that to his son or grandchildren.

People keep on saying they want the Crown to be skipped over to William but I highly doubt it’s what the Cambridge’s want. They have very young children. This gives them time to be parents and have less spotlight away from the kids and doesn’t leave George one life away from the throne.
He knows what it’s like to be a young kid raised by a monarch

I could see maybe Charles retiring before he gets to 96 but if he does so it will be in consultation with his son and about his own frailty and not just because he isn’t as popular as mom.

King Charles is not a perfect man see his affair but he has always tried to life up to his public duties. Not every Duke of Cornwall has funded so much of the funds into charties. I think he will do some needed clean ups and give his kids time.

Right now the longer George and the other Cambridge kids get some semblance of normal happy childhood the best it is for all.
I agree with this, at least with regard to what William and Kate want. Not even Elizabeth and Phillip wanted to her to become Queen as young as they were. Of course, William and Kate are a bit older than Elizabeth and Philip were, but I think they'd appreciate some more years to live before William ascends the throne and assumes the responsibility as a monarch. Even though he was born a Prince and was very aware of being the heir-apparent to the throne after Charles his whole life and had the life of such a person since birth, his (and Kate and their children's) lives will change dramatically once the crown is put upon his head.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!

Here's the BBC article on what will transpire: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-59596996

Royal rebranding: What will happen to stamps, coins, banknotes and passports?​

screech

I read on Twitter it's been confirmed by Clarence House. Personally, I'm glad he didn't change his name.

Per Charles' Wikipedia
In 2005, it was reported that Charles had suggested he might choose to reign as George VII in honour of his maternal grandfather, and to avoid association with the Stuart kings Charles I, who was beheaded, and Charles II who was known for his promiscuous lifestyle, as well as to be sensitive to the memory of Bonnie Prince Charlie, once a Stuart pretender to the English and Scottish thrones, who was called "Charles III" by his supporters. In 2005 Charles's office said that no decision had yet been made

IMO Charles probably would have liked to go by a different name, but the media made that impossible. I suspect all future monarchs will be 'forced' to keep their common names as their official names, as long as media (and social media) maintain such a level of scrutiny. They'll always be known by the names they're known as, no matter what. Just look at how everyone still calls William's wife 'Kate' despite the royal family trying to get her known as 'Catherine' from the time of their marriage.

It's so weird to look at the different Wikipedia pages and see things like 'Monarch - Charles III" and 'Anthem - God Save the King'

With the changing of the money... Charles is 73. It's likely we'll get at most 2 decades with him on the money before it changes again. Before QEII that would have seemed like a lot, but after 70 years with her on the money, her portraits up in facilities (I remember running past a portrait all the time when I used to do my warm-ups at my home skating rink)... it'll be so weird.

The news of Her Majesty's passing not a surprise but also doesn't feel real. She just seemed like such a constant. In my lifetime she'd always been there, and it just seemed like she always would be. No matter your thoughts on the monarchy, she truly seemed like such a spectacular lady.

screech

I didn't even think of this until I just read it, but Harry and Meghan's children are currently Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, as under protocols established by George V, the children and grandchildren of a sovereign have the automatic right to the title HRH and prince/princess. Though the titles will likely be removed, as the King has previously said he plans to slim down the royal family to just the direct heirs and their children. (and even if they are not removed, they are not required to use the title).

The King has announced William and Catherine as the Prince and Princess of Wales.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
So do Kate and William’s kids have to change their last name now to Wales instead of Cambridge?
Most likely. It's only their second day of school at their new school, so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to make the switch.
Not yet. At this point they are Cornwall-Cambridge's. They only become Wales' when their father is given the title of Prince of Wales by King Charles III.
see below...
I didn't even think of this until I just read it, but Harry and Meghan's children are currently Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, as under protocols established by George V, the children and grandchildren of sovereign have the automatic right to the title HRH and prince/princess. Though the titles will likely be removed, as the King has previously said he plans to slim down the royal family to just the direct heirs and their children. (and even if they are not removed, they are not required to use the title).

The King has announced William and Catherine as the Prince and Princess of Wales.
And their IG has officially changed to reflect that new title.

We'll have to see what happens with regard to a titles of grandchildren of the monarch not in the direct line - I suspect that, within the next few weeks, Charles is going to issue a new Letters Patent overriding George V's 1917 LP. It will be interesting to see how it's worded and whether or not Beatrice & Eugenie also lose their HRH titles.

skatingguy

decently
Most likely. It's only their second day of school at their new school, so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to make the switch.

see below...

And their IG has officially changed to reflect that new title.

We'll have to see what happens with regard to a titles of grandchildren of the monarch not in the direct line - I suspect that, within the next few weeks, Charles is going to issue a new Letters Patent overriding George V's 1917 LP. It will be interesting to see how it's worded and whether or not Beatrice & Eugenie also lose their HRH titles.
That happened much quicker than I would have thought.

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
Charles’ speech was amazing. I’m happy with my new King. This is so surreal with blubbing off and on. I cried at Charles, I cried earlier today at the BBC showing a montage of some of her Christmas speeches. The last ones they showed were her last Christmas Day speech talking of the loss of her beloved Philip and then her pandemic one, that actually made me cry at the time so today. :fragile:

I am also thrilled William and Catherine are now Prince and Princess of Wales. Can’t wait to see them in Wales in their new official roles.

it’s small consolations. I feel so sad and adrift for now, much like when I lost both my parents.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information