RIP Prince Philip

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
I had to work this afternoon so only watching now 😢.

We had a minutes silence in the supermarket I work at on the weekend. It was beautifully observed. (For a change, I’m often :rolleyes: at people during these in there).

Beautiful and moving service. Glad he didn’t have an eulogy, they’d still be reading it out now! My eyes started leaking at “I vow to thee my country”.
I know there has been a lot of overkill here in the UK on the TV about it, but wow what a long and interesting life well lived, which is essentially what we all want.

God Save The Queen. ❤️❤️❤️

Barbara Manatee

Who were the singers?

The Telegraph has details on the performers and music.

The quartet of singers – Tom Liliburn, Nick Madden and Simon Whiteley (who are lay clerks of St George's Chapel choir) and Miriam Allan (a soprano) – all live in nearby Horseshoe Cloister, forming part of what was an intimate and community-focused affair.
Incredible acoustics in the chapel - hard to believe that only 4 voices could fill the space so completely.

hanca

Values her privacy
In Judaism, people are supposed to be buried quickly, so I'm used to same day/next day funerals.
how do people manage to get time off to attend, without any proper notice? And if it is on the same day, how do they manage to attend the funeral if the relative lives in a different city?

Japanfan

how do people manage to get time off to attend, without any proper notice? And if it is on the same day, how do they manage to attend the funeral if the relative lives in a different city?

You get there real fast if you live out of town. Some if not all workplaces will accommodate, but it is a religious tradition and I'd expect workplaces to respect it, generally (excepting low-paying, generally short-term jobs like working at McKee Ds).

My mom and dad's funerals were within three-four days of their deaths.

Last edited:

mattiecat13

Does anyone know why Prince Philip couldn’t be interred at King George VI Memorial Chapel immediately and instead must wait until the Queen passes? Is it just so they can be interred together?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I read on another forum the theory that perhaps they just want to limit the amount of construction/moving required in the George VI Chapel, so they're waiting to inter Philip at the same time as Elizabeth.

MsZem

I see the sea
We just do. Israel isn't very big, and funerals aren't necessarily during working hours (can't say what Jews in other countries do). Plus if you can't make it to the funeral, there's always the shiva.

just tuned in

From my experience, in the U.S., funerals are held 2 or 3 days after the death. It is enough time (for most) to travel.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
In Jerusalem particularly the funerals are often six hours after death. Everyone understands a quick disappearance to attend a funeral, made easier by everyone wearing jeans and not dark suits. If you miss the funeral, there are seven days of official mourning (shiva) to pay a call on the family.
We just do. Israel isn't very big, and funerals aren't necessarily during working hours (can't say what Jews in other countries do). Plus if you can't make it to the funeral, there's always the shiva.
American Jews usually within 48-72 hours although CoVID has changed it somewhat. I’m always stunned at Protestant funerals two weeks later!

rfisher

Let the skating begin
In Jerusalem particularly the funerals are often six hours after death. Everyone understands a quick disappearance to attend a funeral, made easier by everyone wearing jeans and not dark suits. If you miss the funeral, there are seven days of official mourning (shiva) to pay a call on the family.

American Jews usually within 48-72 hours although ********* has changed it somewhat. I’m always stunned at Protestant funerals two weeks later!
Is embalming routine? If not, that's one of the differences.

Barbara Manatee

Small town/rural midwest - a week or so is the norm. A lot of family will be out of state and travel does take time especially in the winter. Add a day or two for visitation. Church/clergy/cemetery schedules have to be worked around. Delays for planting/harvesting time.

skatesindreams

My only regret is that he didn't want a eulogy.
In time, others can describe/appreciate his impact.

Much to share, I'm sure.

Last edited:

Susan1

My aunt told me that when her father, my grandfather, died, his sister, who was a nun, knelt next to his body all night. This was back in 1942, so people were laid out in their homes. My aunt was 7 and she got up in the middle of the night to check, and there was Sister Rosalia, praying.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
In Ireland, there's the wake/removal the night before the funeral. Funerals here do tend to take place during working hours, but people will take a couple of hours off to attend if they can and family will have bereavement leave of course.

Cachoo

In Ireland, there's the wake/removal the night before the funeral. Funerals here do tend to take place during working hours, but people will take a couple of hours off to attend if they can and family will have bereavement leave of course.
Most of my relatives are Catholic. The Rosary is often the night before the funeral. I like the idea of the wake more if truth be told.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
The service was beautiful. It is so sad to see the Queen sitting alone. I can't imagine how she's managing. Kate was absolutely stunning, Camilla was lovely too. Even the men in their suits (not touching the whole military issue), they all looked amazing and unified walking together. Let's hope the next funeral won't be for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information