Pre-season poll: Which 3 U.S. Ladies do you want to see at the PyeongChang Olympics?

Which 3 U.S. Ladies do you want to see at the PyeongChang Olympics?

• Mariah Bell

Votes: 30 18.9%
  • Karen Chen

Votes: 120 75.5%
  • Polina Edmunds

Votes: 27 17.0%
  • Gracie Gold

Votes: 50 31.4%
  • Mirai Nagasu

Votes: 96 60.4%
  • Ashley Wagner

Votes: 120 75.5%
  • Other

Votes: 9 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rock2

I love me some Ashley but I become quite agnostic after that.
Zhang could be an interesting story.
I could back Mirai if she could find it within herself to look like she wants to be out there.

I think I'll need to see their programs to decide. I mean, I can get behind Bell but the sound of even a few notes of East of Eden makes me want to hurt myself.

I'll update my picks in the fall.

Bellanca

Boy, this is tough. I would like to see some new faces, but there are some veterans who would have this particular household in tears if they could make the team, again.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
I didn't include those who have retired(like Cesario) and Those who haven't competed in a while

A small recap on what the U.S ladies have done internationally since the Sochi Olympics

-World Championships

Ashley Wagner= 4 Appearances, 1 medal
2014(7th) 2015(5th) 2016(Silver Medalist) 2017(7th)

Gracie Gold= 3 Appearances
2014(5th) 2015(4th) 2016(4th)

Polina Edmunds= 2 appearances
2014(8th) 2015(8th)

Karen Chen= 1 appearance
2017(4th)

Mirai Nagasu=1 appearance
2016(10th)

Mariah Bell=1 appearance
2017(13th)

-Grand Prix Final

Ashley Wagner=2 Appearances, 1 Medal
2014-15(Bronze Medalist) 2015-16(4th)

Gracie Gold=1 appearance
(qualified in 2014-15 but WD)
2015-16(5th)

-Grand Prix Medals

Ashley Wagner=4
2 Gold, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze

Gracie Gold=4
2 Gold, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze

Courtney Hicks=2
1 Silver, 1 Bronze

Mariah Bell=1
1 Silver

-Four Continents Medals

Mirai Nagasu=2
2016(Silver). 2017(Bronze)

Polina Edmunds=1
2015(Gold)

-Challenger Series Medals

Mirai Nagasu= 3
(2nd ranked in series 2016-17)
2 Gold, 1 Silver

Angela Wang= 3
1 Silver, 2 bronze

Hannah Miller=2
(3rd ranked in series 2014-15)
1 Gold, 1 Silver

Mariah Bell= 2
(3rd ranked in series 2016-17)
1 Silver, 1 Bronze

Courtney Hicks=2
1 Silver, 1 Bronze

Tyler Pierce= 2
2 bronze

Karen Chen=2
2 Bronze

Polina Edmunds=1
1 Gold

Gracie Gold=1
1 Bronze

Bradie Tennell= 1
1 bronze

....If we want to look at the junior results since Sochi....

-Junior World Championships

Tyler Pierce=3 appearances :eek:
2014(14th) 2015 (19th) 2016(6th)

Karen Chen= 2 appearances
2014(9th), 2015(8th)

Bradie Tennell= 2 appearance
2016(11th), 2017(7th)

Amber Glenn=1 appearance
2014(7th)

Starr Andrews= 1 appearance
2017(12th)

Junior Grand Prix Medals

Karen Chen=2
1 Silver, 1 Bronze

Vivian Le=2
2 bronze

Amber Glenn=1
1 Bronze

Even though I get the whole don't go based purely on results thing, this does clear things up for me. The crop that was supposed to be making world teams by now (Edmunds,Glenn,Pierce,Chen) has only had some moments of brilliance with Karen Chen's past season. It's like Deja by though with the skater who is just a tad older and seen as a little less talented that has delivered the most solid results from this age group( Polina Edmunds)

From the older crowd it's the usual suspects, Wagner and Nagasu

I'm not sure what to make of Bell, Hicks and Gold, they're all just as big of questions marks in my head, although with Hicks I kind of know what to expect although while looking at this it's kind of annoying that Courtney hasn't managed to make a world team

And out of my sentimental favorites, I always knew Chan wouldn't be in the picture, I don't even know what's going on with Vivian Le, and while it's great that Tessa Hong is skating I'm not sure how she will fit into making the Olympic team.

Based on this, and other observations I'll predict the following

Either Karen Chen or Polina Edmunds will be the 2017 national champion

Mirai Nagasu and Ashley Wagner will be fighting for the the same spot on the Olympic team(if I'm overestimating what Polina will do, then Wagner/Nagasu on the same Olympic team would make the most sense)

My dark horses are Tessa Hong (because my heart) and Tyler Pierce , eventhough I understand that Bell, Gold, and even Hicks would be better picks for dark horses

Let's see how I react once I read this after San Jose

...and pardon the long post :shuffle:

Bellanca

My dark horses are Tessa Hong
Yes! That would be awesome, @DimaToe! Here's hoping that Tessa has a great season!! :cheer2:

No vote cast, yet. Too many sentimental choices and semi-newbies to choose from. I always wear my heart on my sleeve for Mirai, and now, Gracie. Courtney Hicks would be another, as would Polina due to her injuries and struggles getting back.

Karen Chen and Mariah Bell will be making a strong case for themselves, and as it stands, at least for the moment, Karen has a slight, very slight edge ... at this point. These ladies mentioned, and others that are not, but in contention, will need to have a strong/consistent season, of course, because after the last U.S.A. ladies (Sochi) Olympic team picks and the PR nightmare that followed, this one needs to be pretty clear cut -- not convoluted. :p Otherwise, God help us all! :drama:

ETA: I still think that a sleeper may be in the works. ;) This would be a nice surprise, IMO. :cool:

Last edited:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I only voted for Karen (with my head) and Mirai (with my heart).

Karen's young and had the technical ability to compete with most skaters. At her best, she's very watchable, and she's the defending champion. No-brainer.

Ashley has done what she could with what she had but she would finish nowhere near the podium. Mirai, with more innate talent, needs to beat Ashley convincingly at Nat's. I can't see TPWB throwing her off the team again, it's a PR nightmare, but she's gotta skate like she wants it.

Third is a crapshoot because TPTB have to be thinking of setting someone up for exposure in the next quad. But I've no idea who that will be.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I'd guess in your scenario that would be Karen (who you've already named as one of your two choices).

US ladies were in a slump this year, but Ashley still helped us get the 3rd spot, while 60% of the other contenders didn't come through this season (for one reason or another). Thankfully Ashley still fought through to help the US receive a 3rd ladies spot. A 7th place finish in Pyeongchang wouldn't be a bad result for the 3rd US lady IMO. Or maybe she could make the podium? I don't see many US ladies approaching Ashley-level PCS internationally..

:saint:

Ok fine I'll stop before I'm :lynch: off the premises!

Mad for Skating

Hard choice, but I'm going with Ashley, Karen, and Mirai. Ashley because I love her spark, Karen because she reminds me of the Kween, and Mirai because I admire her grit to stay in the sport after missing the team in 2014.

icellist

the US was so lucky to keep 3 spots at worlds thanks to Sotskova and Pogorilaya both bombing spectacularly. If both did as well as their SP, Karen would not have had her 4th nor Ashley helped get the magic 13. If the American ladies don't get out of the slump from this past season, I don't see any Olympics podium contenders. Karen will probably get a nice PCS bump now. OTOH, Polina and Gracie have to revamp their PCS. All I hope for is whoever is chosen delivers for the majority of the season and has good programs.

I hope there's a surprise from Courtney Hicks, Angela Wang, or Vivian Le. Hoping for Mirai the most though.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
Since it seems to be tradition now, I'll predict the top 2 ladies finish 4th and 7th in the individual event. Between The Russians, Kostner, the Japanese and now the Canadians it's going to be just as tough, if not tougher than it was for our ladies in Vancouver and Sochi.

@Karpenko you're very right to be team Wagner. Even when underwhelming she was still a major reason why the U.S. has been able to send 3 ladies to worlds for an entire quadrennial.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Since it seems to be tradition now, I'll predict the top 2 ladies finish 4th and 7th in the individual event. Between The Russians, Kostner, the Japanese and now the Canadians it's going to be just as tough, if not tougher than it was for our ladies in Vancouver and Sochi.

@Karpenko you're very right to be team Wagner. Even when underwhelming she was still a major reason why the U.S. has been able to send 3 ladies to worlds for an entire quadrennial.

I'll bet you right now that at least one and possibly two US ladies finish ahead of Kostner. :saint: She's at the Witt-in-Lillehammer stage. But I agree the Russians, Japanese and Canadians will probably take the podium in some order.

Reactions: mag

Karpenko

Not Impressed.

Thanks, I am still getting sort of exhausting and out of hand about it though. People are damn well free to dislike her skating and/or want her off the team and/or like the others more. :drama: (blasphemous!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information