OES News 2023/24

airgelaal

Team Ukraine for WC

Women
Anastasia Gozhva
s. Yelizaveta Babenko (but she doesn't have TES min)
Men
Ivan Shmuratko
s. Kyrylo Marsak
Pairs
Sofiia Holichenko / Artem Darenskyi
s. Violetta Sierova / Ivan Khobta
Ice dance
Mariia Holubtsova / Kyryl Bielobrov
s. Mariia Pinchuk / Mykyta Pogorielov

for JWC

Women
Taisiia Spesivtseva
Men
Kyrylo Marsak
s. Kyrylo Lishenko
Pairs
Violetta Sierova / Ivan Khobta
Ice dance
Iryna Pidgaina / Artem Koval
s. Mariia Pinchuk / Mykyta Pogorielov

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Daria Danilova became a naturalized Dutch citizen today! Which, of course, means Danilova/Tsiba should be eligible for the Olympics in 2026.

Karen-W

Cyprus' Marilena Kitromilis is having surgery and will be on crutches afterward per her IG story -

Karen-W

Nina Pinzarrone was invited along with 23 other rising Belgian athletes to dinner at Laeken Castle with King Philippe and Queen Mathilde.

Sylvia

TBD
Mark Gorodnitsky is confirmed for Israel (moved from his alternate status; Lev Vinokur is now the alternate) in the Worlds ISU entries as of today (March 15).

Niina Petrokina article+interview before Worlds (March 13):
... recovering from an injury, [Petrokina] said that although her left leg still does not allow her to do everything she wants, she is going to the WC with a good feeling.
Niina Petrõkina's leg, which broke the fibula of her left leg in December, has not yet fully recovered, and therefore she did not start to make a prediction of points or place for the upcoming World Cup.
"Of course, my main goal is to ride not worse than last year, but even better. But you have to look at these things realistically, I still lost two months of my preparation," Petrõkina told ERR.
Coach Svetlana Varnavskaja stated that she does not expect great results from Petrõkina due to her injury.
"I can say that Niina is in pretty good shape, but her leg still hurts and we still can't do one jump. We changed the elements in the plans and their order. At the beginning of the season, of course, the plans were absolutely different, but now we do what we can. Niina is motivated and wants to show the best of his moment," said the coach.

Sylvia

TBD

text_skate

Last Thursday Austrian broadsheet "Der Standard" published a piece about Emmerich Danzer for his 80th birthday. Danzer is a 4 time European champion and won WC in 1966-1968
Why Austria's world figure skating champion was targeted by the Stasi
Emmerich Danzer remembers his 80th. Birthday at wonderful but also turbulent times – and goes to the fitness center

It's a interesting and well written piece. As it is one of the nowadays more unknown skaters, I'll post the article and some excerpts here. Autotranslate works ok-ish.

Most interesting bit: Danzer was in a "secret" relationship with GDR skater Gabriele Seyfert.
"Aber geh!," he says, "that was well known. Of course the Stasi knew it too. They knew everything." The Chemnitzer, four years younger than the Wiener, had won European Championship gold in 1967, two further European and two World Cup titles and Olympic silver in 1968 were to follow. Seyfert was the daughter of the trainer Jutta Müller.
[...]
From GDR documents published years later, it emerged that the Stasi had the "justified suspicion" that both, Seyfert and Müller, [could] "become refugee at about the time of spring 1968". Müller was even seen as the "driving and decisive part. It is clear that the Austrian Danzer was also targeted by the Stasi when they found out about his relationship with Seyfert. Since 1967, they wanted to find out, not only among officials and athletes, but also "among the people of Karl-Marx-Stadt there would be talks and rumors about an intended engagement or marriage Seyfert's to Danzer. In November 1967, Müller even spoke "to hairdressers of the women's salon on Leipziger Platz" of an upcoming marriage and relocation of her daughter to Austria.

Danzer's relationship at the time is far less dramatically remembered today. "Yes, Gabi wanted to go to Eisrevue at the time," he says. "But that was impossible." And he also says: "We were young. And our paths have just separated again." Her path led her back into the lap of the GDR regime, a little later she married a former ice dancer.

text_skate

After the SP at Euros in Kaunas Swiss newspaper Südostschweiz published an interesting article about Britschgi. Back then I forgot to share, but as Britischgi had another good Sp at Worlds, I think it's the right time for this story :)

"The amazing story of an untalented late bloomer"

Excerpts
When Britschgi took part in his first European Championships in Minsk in January 2019, he was almost 21 years old. Finishing 31st in the short program, he missed out on the free skate. Two months later, he came 34th in his debut at the World Championships. If someone had said at the time that he would win bronze at the European Championships four years later, the Schaffhausen native would have declared them crazy.
Britschgi says of himself that he is not a talent. He only mastered the double axel at the age of 15 ... [He] only had ambitions late in life. "The competition in Switzerland is limited," says Britschgi in an interview with the Keystone-SDA news agency. At the time, he only saw the potential to take part in a junior GP.
Later, Britschgi set himself the goal of competing in the Olympics. He fulfilled this dream in Beijing in 2022, where he finished the competition in 23rd place. He traveled to last year's European Championships in Espoo with the intention of finishing in the top ten. Even after finishing in 5th place after the short program, he was not confident of winning a medal. "I wanted to keep my place, that alone would have been a great success," Britschgi looks back. "That's why I took a very relaxed approach mentally."

Winning the medal has "changed a lot" for him. Among other things, his own expectations have risen, "I had to learn to deal with that".
He was unable to implement his plan to add the quadruple Salchow to his jumping repertoire. He had already performed this difficulty a few times in training, but because he developed problems with his patella tendon in November and this caused pain during the Salchow, he was unable to include it in his freestyle routine.
Britschgi has been financing himself for four years.

He is also completing a distance learning course in business administration. He is currently in the fifth of eight semesters. "I need this balance," says Britschgi.

If possible, he wants to continue his career at least until after the 2026 Olympic Games in Milan. After that, he will look further, but of course the 2027 European Championships appeal to him, as they will be held in Lausanne.

Sylvia

TBD
Slovenia's Dasa Grm (final competition was 2023 Worlds in Saitama) made her retirement official today - includes a clip from her farewell skate: https://www.instagram.com/p/C5sb6A4Iu3U/

ETA link to her interview with Anna Kellar at 2023 Euros:

ISU bio (10 Worlds & Euros appearances): http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00007367.htm

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Czech TV interview with the Taschlers (April 12, 2024):
Translated here: https://twitter.com/yellowacebts/status/1780219969722081416

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks to @Wyliefan for reminding me that the Swiss Skating federation has published their national team lists for the 2024-25 season (French version of the Teams page): https://www.swissiceskating.ch/fr/patinage-artistique-et-danse-sur-glace/sport-de-performance/cadres

Direct link to the National team list (as of April 18): https://www.swissiceskating.ch/_default_upload_bucket/cadre-national-2024-25_1.pdf

Copying out the Senior and Junior skaters/teams list below:

2024-25 CADRE NATIONAL PATINAGE ARTISTIQUE / 2024-25 NATIONALKADER EISKUNSTLAUF

ÉQUIPE ÉLITE TEAM SENIOR (ELITE)

Britschgi Lukas A ELITE OG E2 SOC S
Kaiser Livia A ELITE OG E2 SOC S
Repond Kimmy A ELITE OG E2 SOC S
Rossi Naoki A ELITE OG E1 SOC B

Paganini Alexia A ELITE E1 SOC E

Zehnder Gina A ELITE E1 SOC B
Sieber Beda Leon A ELITE E1 SOC B

Bodenstein Noah B SEN E1 SOC E
Franzi Sara B SEN E1 SOC E

Vouillamoz Oxana B SEN E1 SOC E
Bouvart Tom B SEN E1 SOC E (NEW PAIR - both represented France with their previous partners)

Sassi Arianna B SEN E1 SOC E
Morini Luca B SEN E1 SOC E

DANSE SUR GLACE / EISTANZ
Gabet Éléonore A JUN T3 SOTC N
Évéquoz Maxime A JUN T3 SOTC N
Lévy Alexandra A JUN T3 SOTC N
Llorente Alan A JUN T3 SOTC N
Tscharner Seraina A JUN T3 SOTC N
Wiederkehr Laurin A JUN T3 SOTC N
Woodtli Leonie A JUN T3 SOTC N
Suhner Timon A JUN T3 SOTC N

ÉQUIPE RELÈVE JUNIOR / TEAM JUNIOR (NACHWUCHS)

Chervet Aurélian A U19 T4 SOTC N
Pavlov Georgii A U19 T4 SOTC N

Bacsa Olivia A U17 T4 SOTC N
Bessire Sayra A U17 T4 SOTC N
Brandenburg Anastasia A U17 T4 SOTC N
Dibbern Elisabeth A U17 T4 SOTC N
Gradinaru Anthea A U17 T4 SOC B
Martinenghi Elena A U17 T4 SOTC N
Schöll Chiara A U17 T4 SOTC N
Sekulovski Eugenia A U17 T4 SOTC N
Tzimpoukakis Leandra A U17 T4 SOTC N

Weiler Ean A U17 T4 SOTC N
Eckstein Damien B JUN T3 SOTC N
Schori Mila B JUN T3 SOTC N
Tischler Jayana B JUN T3 SOTC N
Wyss Tammaro B JUN T3 SOTC N

Pazienza Chiara M. B JUN T3 SOTC N (pair team)
Knorr Maxim B JUN T3 SOTC N

Last edited:

Karen-W

Thanks to @Wyliefan for reminding me that the Swiss Skating federation has published their national team lists for the 2024-25 season (French version of the Teams page): https://www.swissiceskating.ch/fr/patinage-artistique-et-danse-sur-glace/sport-de-performance/cadres

Direct link to the National team list (as of April 18): https://www.swissiceskating.ch/_default_upload_bucket/cadre-national-2024-25_1.pdf

Copying out the Senior and Junior skaters/teams list below:

2024-25 CADRE NATIONAL PATINAGE ARTISTIQUE / 2024-25 NATIONALKADER EISKUNSTLAUF

ÉQUIPE ÉLITE TEAM SENIOR (ELITE)
Vouillamoz Oxana B SEN E1 SOC E
Bouvart Tom B SEN E1 SOC E (NEW PAIR - both represented France with their previous partners)
Interesting... Bouvart only competed a handful of times with Coline Keriven in the 2022-23 season - his last competition with her was Bavarian Open 2023. I didn't realize Vouillamoz was actually Swiss but her ISU bio says she was born in Sion. Her last competition with Flavien Giniaux was GPdF this past November, so the earliest this new team would be able to compete internationally is likely the CS Warsaw Cup.

Karen-W

Official announcement from Oxana Vouillamoz today - they are training in Bercy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information