Nathan Chen (#Slaythan Fans) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
I think it's time for Nathan to have his own fan thread after he landed SIX quads in his 2 programs in St. Paul! Congrats to the 2016 U.S. bronze medalist!

ETA: I've changed the thread title - "#Slaythan" is one of his popular nicknames/hashtags on Twitter that was coined several years ago, IIRC.

Last edited:

handomi

He landed 5 to be completely fair and rotated 6 :COP:

But anyway great job in the long. In my opinion he should've won.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
IMHO, He's been the 2018 future of US skating since he won his first medal. I feared he'd give up skating with all the other things he's done, but he stayed and overcame injury. It is my fervent hope that he stays injury free and we see him dominate US skating for as long as he chooses to compete.

Jammers

Next thing for Nathan now is when he goes to Sr Worlds he needs to see what a complete Sr skater with quads looks like so he can begin to improve other aspects of his skating especially those spins.

tamms

I remember watching him live a couple years back and enjoyed his skating immensely. So happy that he's earned a bronze at Nats and I'm really looking forward to what he will bring to future competitions!

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
Guys is Nathan gonna be okay? I'm worried about how he hurt himself in the exhibition :fragile:

He was so amazing yesterday, so amazing. We NEED him at Worlds. He has the champion mentality, so I don't worry about that, but if he's injured, that's another story. I really, really hope he'll be okay! Anyone have updates? :wideeyes:

Sylvia

TBD
Short article published today: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016...jures-hip-in-gala-exhibition-status-uncertain
According to Peter Zapalo, U.S. Figure Skating's sports science and medicine director, the 16-year-old Chen aggravated a pre-existing left hip injury while attempting the first jump in the program, a triple toe. Chen stopped his performance and skated off the ice. He was immediately attended to by medical personnel and taken to a nearby hospital for tests.

U.S. Figure Skating spokesperson Renee Felton said more information would be provided as it became available.
Chen arrived in Saint Paul still troubled by his hip. He received physical therapy during the competition.

"He is almost well, but not 100 percent," his coach, Rafael Arutunian, said. "He is still growing, and his hip still gives him trouble. We are watching the hip and managing it."

DreamSkates

Yes, cheers for Nathan but he had better take care of his body. He only has one pair of hips. He is too young to realize this. Winning isn't everything. He could have waited another year to do so many quads, it sure didn't win him a gold medal and won't at Worlds. His coach need to help him get real.

Jammers

Raf needs to tell Nathan to reign it in a bit. Yes it's great he has quads but he needs to not overdue it. Luckily at Jr Worlds he can't do a quad in the SP and if he's smart he'll stick to two quads in the LP. He doesn't need more then that to win after all he has to compete less then two weeks later at Sr Worlds.

MAXSwagg

Yes, cheers for Nathan but he had better take care of his body. He only has one pair of hips. He is too young to realize this. Winning isn't everything. He could have waited another year to do so many quads, it sure didn't win him a gold medal and won't at Worlds. His coach need to help him get real.

I somewhat agree. On the other hand, do you think Yuzuru Hanyu got to the top by "waiting another year" to tack on the technical difficulty? I also don't think Arutunian is so incompetent to not know when enough is enough. You can't control what your skater does when they go out on the ice by themselves with their own mind. When he goes back to Japan for shows, Orser can tell Yuzu not to 30 4Los, 50 4Ts and 50 4Ss, but how is he going to stop him?

Hope he's doing okay though. US desperately needs him.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I want to see him at worlds. I hope he takes plenty of rest and allows his body to heal.

DreamSkates

I somewhat agree. On the other hand, do you think Yuzuru Hanyu got to the top by "waiting another year" to tack on the technical difficulty? I also don't think Arutunian is so incompetent to not know when enough is enough. You can't control what your skater does when they go out on the ice by themselves with their own mind. When he goes back to Japan for shows, Orser can tell Yuzu not to 30 4Los, 50 4Ts and 50 4Ss, but how is he going to stop him?

Hope he's doing okay though. US desperately needs him.

I agree with you! Skaters who want to achieve stop status and compete with the best will do what it takes to get there - and may make choices that aren't the best for their bodies (over-practicing a jump for example). And yes, the US needs someone who can do multiple quads to take on the rest of the world. Improved artistry, notwithstanding.

Sylvia

TBD
Any updates on Nathan's health?
Phil Hersh spoke to Rafael Arutunian earlier today - one quote:
“What matters is not these worlds. What matters is that he is healthy for the future,” Rafael Arutunian, the skater’s coach, told me by telephone Tuesday afternoon.

Arutunian said Chen was to see a doctor Tuesday.
A short article is linked in this GSD thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?threads/hershs-article-on-nathan-chens-injury.97742/

A.H.Black

I remember first seeing Nathan when he was 3-years-old in a club show in 2002. It was right after the Olympics and it wasn't a very memorable show except for this very little boy who had great spirals. I remember writing about it.

I have posted this before, but I was beginning to doubt my memory. At nationals I had the opportunity to confirm my memory with Nathan's mom. She also remembered that show. I have asked Nathan about it as well, but he doesn't remember it (He was 3). He told me it "sounded" right.

Even though Nathan is only 16, he has been around for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information