Let's Talk Movies #33: Star Wars: Jabba Rising...Captain America Trumps China...and MORE!

Which Movies Might You See In 2017? (Multiple Votes Allowed)

• The Lego Batman Movie

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • The Great Wall

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Logan

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • T2: Trainspotting

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Kong: Skull Island

• Beauty and the Beast

Votes: 39 67.2%
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Votes: 28 48.3%
  • Snatched

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Alien: Covenant

• Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Votes: 11 19.0%

• Total voters

emason

Isabelle Huppert is a goddess. How many French actresses have won the Oscar? On top of my head, I only can think of Juliette Binoche and Marion Cotillard. Emmanuelle Riva would have been my first pick when she was up for Amour (also my personal best film of that year), but alas. I know Catherine Deneuve and Isabelle Adjani have been nominated as well. Of the ones I listed, I know Binoche, Cotillard, and Adjani have been nominated for the Oscar more than once.

The goddess of goddesses, Simone Signoret, won for Room at the Top.

oleada

3D can be seriously effective to further a film as long as the director and people behind-the-scenes know what they're doing. After seeing Life of Pi in 3D in the theatres, I was sold. I wish I had seen Avatar in theatres because apparently it was meant to be seen in 3D on the big screen.

It really was. I'm not normally a 3D fan, as it rarely adds to the movie and it tends to give me a headache, but with Avatar, it was perfect. The world really came to life.

I saw La La Land today. I loved it :D I agree that the beginning is slow, but to me, it really built. I thought the acting and cinematography were wonderful. I don't know if it's the best movie of the year, but it was really good enjoyable fluff.

I have tickets for Hidden Figures tomorrow.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
In a fair world, it's actually (8 year old) Sunny Pawar that gets nominated for supporting acting as opposed to just young performer. He really shines in those scenes where he's alone on screen and literally carrying the film on his shoulders.

I have said for years that Oscar needs to have a young actor (boys and girls)category. It's unfair fir the young actors to have to compete against adults. In extremely rare cases the young actor wins. I agree Sunny was wonderful in that role. He was seven, I believe, when the movie was made.

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Can I be a very bad person and actually complain about Hidden Figures? Very moving film, very.

But uh it needed a soundtrack of actual music from 1961-2. I was massively disappointed that it didn't.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Saw Hidden Figures yesterday. Very good. I never knew about these three African American women who struggled through obstacles - racism, sexism, etc. and made NASA successful. This is the first movie I saw this year that received so much audience response during the movie and an applause at the end. It was fun to see when the big computer appeared. How far we have come! I had never heard of Katherine Johnson (Taraji Hansen), so this was very educational for me. The way these women were treated by most made me very angry. Now we have an African American president (for three more days :( ). We have come a long way.

I was not thrilled with the frequent songs in the background but given the sincerity of the story, I forgive that.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
This weekend I saw Passengers again, this time in 3D. I am not a fan of 3D, but it was fun to watch the space and the sets in 3D. I enjoyed it the second time as much as I did the first because the story, the humor, the dialogues all work well. The 3D just adds another dimension to it.

watchthis!!

Sky scraps TV movie with Joseph Fiennes playing Michael Jackson
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sky-scraps-tv-movie-with-joseph-fiennes-playing-michael-jackson/

I’m wondering if the project ended up being awful, rather than producers withdrawing the film from viewing out of respect for Jackson’s family. This article is only about the British release of the movie, time will tell if it sees a release in other parts of the world or not. Seems like a silly commotion as this is a comedy which is part of a movie series based on urban myths, with each movie being based on something which “may or may not” have even happened.

Michael Jackson is getting the Lifetime movie treatment
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/01/14/michael-jackson-is-getting-lifetime-movie-treatment.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fmost-popular+(Internal+-+Most+Popular+Content)

Hours after Sky Arts announced it would not air the controversial Michael Jackson episode of the British series "Urban Myths," Lifetime has announced Jackson-related project of its own.

This article mentions Suzanne de Passe as one of the producers. I know at one time she was a long-time Motown executive. Not sure if she’s still with Motown or not. If so, I wonder if she’ll give Jackson's story a thorough white-washing. (Sorry about that!) :p

Allskate

It was fun to see when the big computer appeared. How far we have come! I had never heard of Katherine Johnson (Taraji Hansen), so this was very educational for me. The way these women were treated by most made me very angry.

It was terrible what they had to deal with. But I found myself wondering what they would have faced in the private sector. I don't think they even would have been hired at all. It seems like the government as employer, including the military, often is at the forefront of breaking down barriers. (That may change soon.) The scene where Katherine is told that "computers" (the female mathematicians) don't get to have their names on reports reminded me of "Good Girls Revolt" on Amazon Prime, which is about women journalists in the 1960s. At the magazine, women could not have their names on the bylines, even if they investigated and wrote the articles. They were just "researchers," not journalists. The one African-American woman seemed to have it even worse.

The movie is doing very well. I went to see it this afternoon. It was sold out. It is MLK day and there is no school, so there were kids in the audience. A little boy in my row had a NASA cap on. I really like that kids -- of all races and genders -- are seeing it.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I definitely want to see Hidden Figures. Will need to check out when it starts here.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
I'm going to be the naysayer for La La Land. A lot of style and absolutely no substance. Hollywood truly is a narcissistic child--anything about itself (good or bad) gets the highest accolades, regardless of the actual worth of the movie. The characters were barely likeable...and they can barely sing. Stone is serviceable enough (though I can think of at least ten actresses who are better singers AND dancers who could have done that role) but Gosling's voice :yikes: The lyrics were meh but the music itself was enjoyable. Stone and Gosling have great chemistry but if you're doing a musical, your principles need to be able to sing.

I will say the cinematography was top notch. They did a phenomenal job of paying homage to old Hollywood musicals and keeping its look fresh and modern.

Allskate

The characters were barely likeable...and they can barely sing. Stone is serviceable enough (though I can think of at least ten actresses who are better singers AND dancers who could have done that role) but Gosling's voice :yikes:

They were going for box office draw by casting Gosling and Stone. I do wonder if awards voters are giving Gosling and Stone extra credit for being willing to sing and dance despite not having great singing and dancing skills. Kind of like how actors and actresses get extra credit for being willing to transform themselves physically. I think both of them deliver good, but not great acting performances in the movie. My theory has been that they are winning awards based on better past performances that didn't garner awards.

Personally, I enjoyed the movie. But I didn't think "Oscar winner" when I saw it and I definitely wouldn't have predicted that it would be the movie that has won the most Golden Globe awards ever.

VGThuy

I need to see La La Land. If it wins the PGA and DGA, then I don't see anything else beating it for Best Picture at the Oscars. I honestly don't see it losing PGA or DGA unless there's a Boyhood or The Social Network like backlash we don't know about yet.

I just saw Fences and although I get what some have criticized about it for being more stagey (a lot of the language is playwright language) and it not being the most stylish film, I am glad the kept most of the language in-tact. To me, it's the dialogue and language that is the substance of the film. I'm glad to see it filmed. There were parts where I felt could have transitioned better...like
the part where Corey asks Troy why he doesn't like him, I think the pacing probably worked on stage but on film it didn't seem to work
and some stuff seemed heavy-handed in pointing out the symbolism like
how the camera zoomed in on the falling flower when Rose dropped the rose when she finds out about Troy fathering another child
that I don't think was needed, but overall I really loved it just for the acting and hearing that dialogue.
That last scene where Corey and Raynell singing Troy's song about his dog really got to me.

In terms of category fraud, Viola Davis is definitely a lead. There have been Oscar-winning lead actress roles that didn't have as much screen time or central focus as she did. I wouldn't mind Denzel winning an Oscar, even if other performances are better (ones I haven't seen yet) because he gives an award-worthy performance either way. He's also looking really good despite gaining weight for the role and shows what being 60-61 is all about.

Allskate

Emma Stone has sung on Broadway.

I'll bet there are a bunch of women who sing a LOT better than Stone who were not cast in Cabaret because of ticket draw. Emma Stone's singing is merely adequate IMO. There's no way she was cast in the movie because of her singing talent.

VGThuy

Emma Stone has sung on Broadway. I saw her in Cabaret and she was an amazing Sally Bowles. So if she isn't singing well in this movie, I blame the production staff. :D

It makes absolute no sense.

How was she acting-wise? Sally Bowles can be a really nuanced and meaty role with real depth if it's played right. Did she give a mature interpretation? I heard once Natasha Richardson settled into the role, she was the perfect Sally Bowles and brought new elements people didn't know existed. Of course, that was 20 years ago.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Took the girls to see "Moana" this afternoon. I thought it was really nicely done, and both of the girls said it was their favorite "princess" movie so far (and that's pretty amazing considering the effect that Frozen had on them!)

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Can I be a very bad person and actually complain about Hidden Figures? Very moving film, very.

But uh it needed a soundtrack of actual music from 1961-2. I was massively disappointed that it didn't.

When was the music from? I really liked it but didn't know which year it was from.

I second the crowd report from yesterday -- I tried to go at 3 and it was sold out about 45 minutes beforehand. Luckily there was a screening down the street a little later and I got a ticket in time. But that one was really full too. I'm glad it's doing so well. It's a fantastic movie.

I'll bet there are a bunch of women who sing a LOT better than Stone who were not cast in Cabaret because of ticket draw. Emma Stone's singing is merely adequate IMO. There's no way she was cast in the movie because of her singing talent.

Stone's acting in La La Land was terrific -- I can't think of any actress who could have done a better job with the party scene where she taunts Gosling's character, for instance. That role could have been written for her (though I know it wasn't.) But her singing was disappointingly breathy. They say the composer worked with her on her singing, so I don't know why he couldn't teach her breath support! It's odd, too, because she finally managed to find some power in "Audition." (Unless her voice was technically helped out. I don't think it was, but I can't always tell.)

emason

Sorry, but I found Stone totally underwhelming and forgettable in La La Land. I just saw this 2 days ago and already 90% of it has slipped from my memory. I just do not get what all the fuss is about.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I'm going to be the naysayer for La La Land. A lot of style and absolutely no substance. Hollywood truly is a narcissistic child--anything about itself (good or bad) gets the highest accolades, regardless of the actual worth of the movie. The characters were barely likeable...and they can barely sing. Stone is serviceable enough (though I can think of at least ten actresses who are better singers AND dancers who could have done that role) but Gosling's voice :yikes: The lyrics were meh but the music itself was enjoyable. Stone and Gosling have great chemistry but if you're doing a musical, your principles need to be able to sing.

I will say the cinematography was top notch. They did a phenomenal job of paying homage to old Hollywood musicals and keeping its look fresh and modern.

I am not exactly a nay sayer but I just liked the movie; didn't Love it the way most people did. Took me past at least 4 songs to get into the story. It was good after that. Liked a couple of songs a lot. Others were just ok. I have no problem with the actors not being top notch singers in a Movie, and I thought Emma and Ryan were Ok. I put a lot more weight to acting. If it was the theatre, I would expect top notch singing. I thought Emma and Ryan were good acting wise and singing wise, but I didn't see greatness. Of the two, Emma has a better chance of winning the Oscar, but who knows Ryan could win too, just because Hollywood loves this movie.

I liked the basic idea about people going to LA in hopes of making it big in Hollywood, but apart from that this was just a boy meets girl story. This is a well made movie, but Best Picture at Oscar? I have to disagree. I am almost certain that it will win BP because Hollywood can relate to these characters and their story.

I expected it to win the Best musical at GG but now I think it's the front runner for the BP Oscar. Everyone seems to like the pleasant story when compared with the sad or difficult stories in other movies. I think it will be like Chicago winning over The Pianist, or Shakespeare in love winning over Saving private Ryan.

Next movie for me to see is Moonlight.

VGThuy

I never got into The Pianist. All of my personal favorite movies that year weren't even nominated for Best Picture (Y Tu Mama Tambien; Spirited Away; Adaptation; Far From Heaven; Lovely & Amazing; Talk to Her; About a Boy; About Schmidt) though The Two Towers is my personal favorite LOTR film as a stand alone film. I love the musical Chicago, but I don't love the movie adaptation of it (it was really missing the soul and bite and humor of the stage production and I hate the music video editing that was used to hide the weaknesses of the dancing/choreography), though I think it was a clever adaptation for what they were going for. People talk crap about Zellweger's performance, but to me Gere and Zeta-Jones' performances were really off for me.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Though I liked Stone's performance, I don't see this as an Oscar-winning role. A musical or comedy can win Best Picture (and I'm glad of that), but as far as performances go, the Academy seems to favor Very Serious Roles.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Though I liked Stone's performance, I don't see this as an Oscar-winning role. A musical or comedy can win Best Picture (and I'm glad of that), but as far as performances go, the Academy seems to favor Very Serious Roles.

Others have won the Oscar while playing a musical or comedy role.

Gwyneth Patrow - SIL

Julie Andrews- Mary Poppins

Helen Hunt - As good as it gets

Emma has a tough competition this year but she might just win over Isabelle and Natalie. Not sure yet who the other two nominees will be but they won't have much of a chance, IMO.

As a side note, when is Ms Slone coming to theatres? Why are Jessica Chastain's movies released so late? I think the late release of Zero dark thirty may have cost her an Oscar win.

VGThuy

I think the great Zero Dark Thirty backlash and campaign against the movie as it was an early front runner and the Jennifer Lawrence love had more to do with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information