Judging Question (FcCoSp4V)

twinsmom

I was going to try and find this in the rules, but there is too much to look through, and I'm sure there is somebody here who knows. On Nathan's Skate America free skate, for his final footwook sequence, it is listed as FcCoSp4V. I saw this on another protocol sheet somewhere (don't recall whose score it was). Does anybody know what the V stands for?

gkelly

I was going to try and find this in the rules, but there is too much to look through, and I'm sure there is somebody here who knows. On Nathan's Skate America free skate, for his final footwook sequence, it is listed as FcCoSp4V. I saw this on another protocol sheet somewhere (don't recall whose score it was). Does anybody know what the V stands for?

FCCoSp4V is flying combination spin with change of foot, level 4

From ISU Communication 2254:
Spins
1. For flying spins (with no change of foot and only one position) of both Short Program and Free Skating the following is required: a clear visible jump. The sign “V” indicates that this requirement is not fulfilled. The base values of spins with the sign “V“ are listed in the SOV table.
2. The base values of spin combinations with only 2 basic positions (at least 2 revolutions in each of these positions) are also listed in the SOV table.
3. All spins with change of foot must have 3 revolutions on each foot. In Short Program, if this requirement is not fulfilled, the spin will get “No Value”. In Free Skating the sign “V” indicates that this requirement is not fulfilled. The base values of spins with the sign “V“ are listed in the SOV table.
4. Spin in one position with change of foot must have 2 revolutions in basic position on each foot. In Short Program, if this requirement is not fulfilled, the spin will get “No Value”. In Free Skating the sign “V” indicates that this requirement is not fulfilled. The base values of spins with the sign “V“ are listed in the SOV table.

Although the description of point 2. does not specify that combo spins with only 2 basic positions are indicated with a V, that is the most likely reason for a combination spin that otherwise looks good to get that designation.

Often the skater attempted a third basic position but either didn't get low enough in a sit position or get the free foot high enough in a camel position to count as a basic position at all, and/or they didn't hold the basic position for at least 2 revolutions.

Hence, lower base value. Even if they achieved enough features to earn level 4 (including perhaps a difficult variation an a nonbasic position that might or might not have been intended as basic).

twinsmom

Thanks for that explanation @gkelly. It was a spin (duh to me). That clears up my question. I was so excited that Nathan (or anyone for that matter) was actually doing a really good scratch spin (which almost nobody does anymore)! I'll have to go home and look at the spin again to see if I can figure out what he missed. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information