Jeremy Abbott Uber Thread

Allskate

That exhibition performances was heartbreakingly beautiful.

I think Yuka and Jeremy are skating soul mates. I loved her skating for many of the same reasons I love Jeremy's skating. And I'm glad he's had her along for a big part of his journey. With something as demanding and time-consuming as elite competitive figure skating, it's important to have good people with you on that journey.

DreamSkates

I think Jeremy thinks that the judges are sending him a message. In the LP KnC, he said that he knew he was going to score "low but not that low." Even if it was deserved, he seemed surprised.

Maybe he has an unrealistic view of himself at this point in time. It's one thing to be a national champion multiple times, and be commended as an artist, it's another to continue to skate to that level. I thought this year all his music sounded the same and his programs looked the same. Not very artistic (to me). I'm sure his father's demise and death had a significant impact on him given he seems like the fragile type.

I felt sorry for Sato and KnC after the long program. All the years of coaching and he hasn't been able to reach a strong mental level. That's what has kept him back especially on the world stage.

centerpt1

Sam Smith = Barber's Adagio for Strings ?

Everyone has a different ear for music........but, really not the same.

Jeremy has addressed his focus issues many times. It's so much more than a coaching issue. He has tried so many things to overcome this-including sports psychology. I view it as a strength that he fought and persevered in trying to overcome something just beyond his control. That took a lot of courage and (as you call it) mental strength.

twizzlesizzle

Just because his SP to Sam Smith was more of a ballad, does not put it in the same league as Adagio for Strings.

Jeremy is a leader with the use of lyrics and it's not for everyone. His FS to Adagio was beautiful. There are not many skaters in the world that can take a non-percussive piece and do what he did with it.

Apparently you haven't heard all the versions of Phantom that are out there this year, or heaven help us, all the same Paso music for just about EVERY dance team. The "rumps" as I call them (it's a long story for another time) with Paso drive you crazy after awhile.

So to see Jeremy go down an avenue musically that others dare not go, he is to be commended.

Kecasyl

Maybe he has an unrealistic view of himself at this point in time. It's one thing to be a national champion multiple times, and be commended as an artist, it's another to continue to skate to that level. I thought this year all his music sounded the same and his programs looked the same. Not very artistic (to me). I'm sure his father's demise and death had a significant impact on him given he seems like the fragile type.

I felt sorry for Sato and KnC after the long program. All the years of coaching and he hasn't been able to reach a strong mental level. That's what has kept him back especially on the world stage.

If any of the skaters out there right now have a realistic view of himself at this point in time as you like to say, it's Jeremy. He's incredibly realistic with himself, in his training, with his mental training (he said in an interview last year with Michelle Kwan prior Sochi many things regarding this and his mental strength and training with sports psychologist). The link for that is here: http://youtu.be/x0P-J3GrcLM

He was scored too low especially in the SP. Yes he fell twice in the LP, but that was still too low. I honestly don't think the judges really knew what they were looking at because besides the two falls it was artistic perfection. PCS to the max.

Fragile? Really?! It takes a hell of a lot to go out there and still skate after having such a tragedy in the family. I give him all the credit in the world for going out and doing that when many others would have W/D from the competition all together.

You might want to start working on your music skills if you think it all sounds the same. Sam Smith sounds nothing like Adagio for Strings. They were artistic (maybe not what he has shown us in the past) but this season was all about "simplicity" and that's what his skating was. It was pure skating. His choreography was not simple at all, although he makes it look that way because he's just that good.

Last edited:

DreamSkates

If any of the skaters out there right now have a realistic view of himself at this point in time as you like to say, it's Jeremy. He's incredibly realistic with himself, in his training, with his mental training (he said in an interview last year with Michelle Kwan prior Sochi many things regarding this and his mental strength and training with sports psychologist). The link for that is here: http://youtu.be/x0P-J3GrcLM

He was scored too low especially in the SP. Yes he fell twice in the LP, but that was still too low. I honestly don't think the judges really knew what they were looking at because besides the two falls it was artistic perfection. PCS to the max.

Fragile? Really?! It takes a hell of a lot to go out there and still skate after having such a tragedy in the family. I give him all the credit in the world for going out and doing that when many others would have W/D from the competition all together.

You might want to start working on your music skills if you think it all sounds the same. Sam Smith sounds nothing like Adagio for Strings. They were artistic (maybe not what he has shown us in the past) but this season was all about "simplicity" and that's what his skating was. It was pure skating. His choreography was not simple at all, although he makes it look that way because he's just that good.

I have exceptional music skills, thank you (violin and mandolin). You don't need to criticize me personally for expressing my opinion just because you don't agree. I was talking about the nature of the music, not the actual notes and structure thereof. And yes he does look fragile - afraid or nervous - often before skating. Yes, many skaters talk about being nervous beforehand but it doesn't show on their faces. He has fallen many times except at Nationals, in the past,and especially on the world scene. I'm not the only one who has used the term fragile.

And I won't quote the people sitting next to me at Nationals, regarding his programs. You wouldn't agree with that either.

Everyone has an opinion, this is mine and yours is yours. That is what can make a forum like this interesting - it is a discussion of ideas and opinions.

EDIT: In my opinion the most artistic programs among the men, this Nationals were Farris' SP and Rippon's LP. That is what I look for in artistry.

Last edited:

centerpt1

Jeremy takes risks with his music and choreo. Last season he was more into modern dance with his programs. This season, he said he went for a more classic line/approach. It also worked with the changes he made in his skating. He used Sandra Bezic for his LP-she hasn't done competitive programs in a while. Whether this works or not is a matter of taste. Jeremy was going to be low balled at Nationals no matter what he did. I really think he knew that.

Jeremy did a fan Q and A on twitter yesterday for anyone who is interested. Some were about skating and one or two were more personal. He is currently in California working with Choreographer Benji Schwimmer on a program .

Latte

You all make a lot of excuses for him. There was no way he was going to score high after falling 2 times. I like him, but, lets be a little honest here.

dinakt

This is an uber thread for a skater who is likely done competing ( so I, personally, have a great deal of nostalgia at the moment), and who has been criticized much over the years. So I, as a long-time fan, have zero desire to be analytical or critical here. And I do not think there was a single post saying that Jeremy had any chance after that second fall.

On the other topic, I am soooo curious what is the program he is creating with Benji Schwimmer, and for what purpose. Next year competition? Stars on Ice? Some other show? He sure did not take much time off after the Nationals before making another program.

Last edited:

centerpt1

It was obvious he was going nowhere after the LP.

We are ubers here, celebrating a body of work. (and hoping for some fine show programs)

I wonder if the new program will be ready by Frenchie Skates, or is for something else.

Kecasyl

I have exceptional music skills, thank you (violin and mandolin). You don't need to criticize me personally for expressing my opinion just because you don't agree. I was talking about the nature of the music, not the actual notes and structure thereof. And yes he does look fragile - afraid or nervous - often before skating. Yes, many skaters talk about being nervous beforehand but it doesn't show on their faces. He has fallen many times except at Nationals, in the past,and especially on the world scene. I'm not the only one who has used the term fragile.

And I won't quote the people sitting next to me at Nationals, regarding his programs. You wouldn't agree with that either.

Everyone has an opinion, this is mine and yours is yours. That is what can make a forum like this interesting - it is a discussion of ideas and opinions.

EDIT: In my opinion the most artistic programs among the men, this Nationals were Farris' SP and Rippon's LP. That is what I look for in artistry.

Then please, tell me why the hell you are in an Jeremy Abbott Uber thread if you don't have anything nice to say. Go play in another sandbox. Also, let me know when you know what real artistry is, then maybe we can talk. Until then bye!

Kecasyl

You all make a lot of excuses for him. There was no way he was going to score high after falling 2 times. I like him, but, lets be a little honest here.

Hey others can fall a few times and still get top of podium so lets be honest here. Also, don't like it? No one is forcing you to be here. If you think we make "excuses" you must have never run across the Yuna, Mao or Yuzuru uber fans.

Last edited:

Kecasyl

It was obvious he was going nowhere after the LP.

We are ubers here, celebrating a body of work. (and hoping for some fine show programs)

I wonder if the new program will be ready by Frenchie Skates, or is for something else.

He may or may not be doing his new program at Frenchieskate. It should be done I would say within the week.

aftershocks

Banned Member

Yes, because they can totally trust Adam's International rep. :rolleyes:

Definitely U.S. judges were reluctant to reward Jeremy with the top spot in the sp, unless he had performed lights out with a quad, like last season.

As for Adam, actually the U.S. judges scored Adam low in sp even with his quad attempt, so it's not exactly like they particularly trusted Adam's recent international record either. In the fp, obviously Adam surprisingly hit a home run with an excellent performance and another gutsy quad attempt, so his tech and PCS scores went up. Clearly, if Adam possessed a solid consistency rep, he might have edged for the overall win. That he didn't is noteworthy, so no need to pick on Adam in contrast to Jeremy. They are both hugely talented skaters who have had problems fully conquering the mental aspects of competition.

Hopefully we will get to see more of Jeremy at his best! And I truly hope that Adam's showing at Nationals signals he has turned the corner in his career toward more consistency and confidence.

DreamSkates

Then please, tell me why the hell you are in an Jeremy Abbott Uber thread if you don't have anything nice to say. Go play in another sandbox. Also, let me know when you know what real artistry is, then maybe we can talk. Until then bye!
Not worth replying to.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I guess some of you weren't around for those back-in-the-day notorious OTT Johnny Weir threads, many of which started out as fan threads (only a handful of ubers and/ or respectful skating fans dared say positive things to counteract the negative and snarky). :lol:

centerpt1

I guess some of you weren't around for those back-in-the-day notorious OTT Johnny Weir threads, many of which started out as fan threads (only a handful of ubers and/ or respectful skating fans dared say positive things to counteract the negative and snarky). :lol:

Well- looks like Johnny's had the last laugh now.

Hope Jeremy has a bright future, too.

Sylvia

TBD
Jeremy was at the Rockefeller Center ice rink in NYC earlier this morning to watch Ashley Wagner perform and spoke to Nick Zaccardi: http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/13/jeremy-abbott-figure-skating-retirement-olympics/
Abbott will certainly stay with the sport even if not competing on the ice. There are shows, and there is also choreography. Two-time U.S. champion Alissa Czisny and former U.S. junior silver medalist Ashley Cain approached him to help them with an exhibition program and a short program, respectively, among other skaters.

“If that’s fulfilling enough, then I can step away,” Abbott said of choreography. “But I do want another opportunity to put an exclamation point on my career in my own terms.”

Sylvia

TBD
Jeremy was interviewed with FrenchieSkate founder Georgia Glastris on local Detroit TV earlier today - video link and 2/27 benefit show info here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...7-15-in-plymouth-michigan.94778/#post-4469373

North Star Reach campers skated at DSC recently - 2 Jeremy photos: https://www.facebook.com/FrenchieSkate/photos/pcb.783934075030949/783923755031981/?type=1&theater
https://www.facebook.com/FrenchieSkate/photos/pb.755028117921545.-2207520000.1424889256./783923761698647/?type=3&theater

ETA - How Jeremy's group selfie turned out ;): https://twitter.com/FrenchieSkate/status/569245445261828099/photo/1

Last edited:

Cachoo

He's an artist and I think there is always a bright future for artists especially once they are done competing. If I was a skater I go to him in a second to see if he was interested in choreographing a program for me. And if I wanted to put a show together he would be at the top of my list.

Sylvia

TBD
Copying over dinakt's eloquent excerpt from the FrenchieSkate 2015 show thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...n-plymouth-michigan.94778/page-2#post-4470878
Jeremy- he did "Latch" from SOI of last year. I've been his uber for at least seven years, so I cannot possibly be objective. But in my eyes, the man is a genius in modern dance. The quality, fluidity of movement, the way it relates to and weaves into music- there's just nobody like that (OK, just Lambiel, Takahashi and Buttle at their best). Absolutely stunning, and he singled a supposed 3A, and I could care less. The edginess of the movement, the interplay of movement and music is where the attention goes. He pretty much exempifies why I am nuts about skating.
Video (no audio due to copyright issue): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDwYHxaLSUw

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Post #594 above has an article excerpt about Jeremy choreographing a short program for Ashley Cain. He seems happy with their collaboration in this tweeted photo :): https://instagram.com/p/0jGnSdm8Or/

ETA link to Ashley Cain's Instagram selfie photo with Jeremy and message of gratitude: https://instagram.com/p/0jdLn7S4Ye/
Words can't even express how inspired and grateful I feel for having the opportunity to work with you! Not only did I gain a new program but I also gained a completely new perspective on skating! If you ever get the chance to know Jeremy or work with him then you are an incredibly lucky person. Thank you!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information