Jeremy Abbott Uber Thread

dinakt

"Congratulations to the 2015 Rocker, Counter, Bracket Challenge Champion, Jeremy Abbott."
https://www.facebook.com/ProfSk8rsAssoc?fref=nf

(maybe someone can do a better job at linking this)
I am so happy that Jeremy gets recognized (though I am not a big fan of the system of voting for one great skater against another great skater). This piece was gut wrenching.
I also have no doubt that with just a little passing of time all of Jeremy's skating will be remembered for what it was- superb mastery of the blade in the service of expression.
Here's Jeremy becoming Junior National Champion in 2005. 10 years of not putting even his little finger against the music- how can I help but love his skating.
https://youtu.be/FKiSadEalic

... just watched Skate for Hope. Fantastic. Jeremy's movement is so sophisticated (and great jumps, too, including 3A, Yay); I love that program. I want new ones, too.

Last edited:

Kecasyl

I'm always very interested in your updates too. :)
As a big Jeremy fan, I'm glad that a fellow fan posted here, asking for our opinions as to whether Jeremy will retire from competitive skating now, or go on for another year.
I'm very glad that the hope is still alive that he just may stay in for another year.

Jeremy just had two skates this year at Nationals that were below what he usually delivers.
They were still very good skates, however.
Thus, Jeremy was not given a spot at the World Championships or even at the Four Continents. :-(
Jeremy is still a four-time US Champion and still at the top of his game.
Jeremy compares favorably with the other top US male figure skaters.

I really hope that Jeremy seriously re-evaluates everything and decides to stay in for another year!
There are a handful of international male skaters older than Jeremy and still doing well competitively.
Please stay in, Jeremy! :)

I think he was skating pretty darn good for what he had been going through prior to Nationals. His father had passed away and Jeremy had that on his mind as well as lessened practice time. While his coach did go out to CO to work with him prior to Nationals, it was still a disturbance to his comfort level and what he is used to at his usual practice facility in MI. IMHO he skated phenomenal in the SP and even despite those two falls in the long the performance level and artistry outdid the other men.
I feel like he was held down on purpose, and should have at least gotten bronze.

What he has been creating for himself and for other skaters has been amazing. No matter what he chooses to do (stay in or go pro), as long as he is happy, then I am happy.:biggrinbo

Last edited:

centerpt1

He most certainly was held down in the short. So were other men. The winner was essentially predetermined.
I feel Jeremy has never been appreciated for his unique talents.

centerpt1

He is so far down the rankings now…it would be difficult to come back. He'd skate early and not get the points he deserved.Plus I think he'd possibly only get one GP. He should have been sent to 4CC for points.
I really think he'll retire now.

Kecasyl

He most certainly was held down in the short. So were other men. The winner was essentially predetermined.
Would you like to explain who else was held down in the short? Because IMHO Josh should have been 1st and Jeremy 2nd.

He is so far down the rankings now…it would be difficult to come back. He'd skate early and not get the points he deserved.Plus I think he'd possibly only get one GP. He should have been sent to 4CC for points.
I really think he'll retire now.

It's not a total lost cause. He actually moved up 4 slots in the mens total overall ISU world rankings from last year.

centerpt1

I thought that, besides Jeremy, Adam Rippon got held down.

It's neither here nor there, and a matter of opinion. The scoring in the SP was suspect.

Sylvia

TBD
As a big Jeremy fan, I'm glad that a fellow fan posted here, asking for our opinions as to whether Jeremy will retire from competitive skating now, or go on for another year.
I'm very glad that the hope is still alive that he just may stay in for another year.
Thanks for your positive post!
I also have no doubt that with just a little passing of time all of Jeremy's skating will be remembered for what it was- superb mastery of the blade in the service of expression.
Here's Jeremy becoming Junior National Champion in 2005. 10 years of not putting even his little finger against the music- how can I help but love his skating.
https://youtu.be/FKiSadEalic
I was in Portland when he won the Junior title - one of my favorite Nationals memories and program music choice (Safri Duo medley) of his! :) (I've bolded your descriptive phrase above because I'm one of those fans who appreciates skating quality and performance above competition results.)

Last edited:

centerpt1

I support whatever Jeremy wants to do. I hope he competes, so I will get to see more of his skates. If he retires , most of the shows don't have videos to watch. I live in Texas, so nothing ever comes within driving distance.

There are so few skaters that are special as Jeremy is. His skating is always about more than competition.

I do think he's done, though.

Kecasyl

I thought that, besides Jeremy, Adam Rippon got held down.

It's neither here nor there, and a matter of opinion. The scoring in the SP was suspect.

Based on performance, and tech merit (what I saw) Adam wasn't held down in the SP.

I support whatever Jeremy wants to do. I hope he competes, so I will get to see more of his skates. If he retires , most of the shows don't have videos to watch. I live in Texas, so nothing ever comes within driving distance.

There are so few skaters that are special as Jeremy is. His skating is always about more than competition.

I do think he's done, though.

If he's done he's done. Like I said before as long as he's happy I'm happy. As far as where you live, if you want to see him skate you're going to have to travel.

Mozartist

Music Maker
Thanks for your positive post!

I was in Portland when he won the Junior title - one of my favorite Nationals memories and program music choice (Safri Duo medley) of his! :) (I've bolded your descriptive phrase above because I'm one of those fans who appreciates skating quality and performance above competition results.)

Thanks, Sylvia! :)
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
I had heard that years ago his quad sal was pretty consistent in practice but for whatever reason he & Tom Z decided to go for the 4t instead at that point.

I just want him to stay HEALTHY. Despite him not meeting all our (and his) huuuuuge expectations, I've loved all of his skating. He has such innate musicality, and so much power and smoothness in his stroking. And he's been able to embrace a lot of different styles, and to do it really well, although he seems to gravitate and be most comfortable within that lyrical/lovely window. I'm currently working on power circles for a US MITF test (essentially a series of crossovers, both directions, forward and backwards, increasing in speed and tempo) and wishing I had even an iota of his amazing crossovers.

Mozartist

Music Maker
I am unable to open the Examiner article, stating that "Jeremy wants to be a contender". My new computer won't be installed for a while. Can someone please summerize what the article said? Thanks very much! :)

Kecasyl

I am unable to open the Examiner article, stating that "Jeremy wants to be a contender". My new computer won't be installed for a while. Can someone please summerize what the article said? Thanks very much! :)
I'll PM it to you. :D

Last edited:

Mozartist

Music Maker
I'll PM it to you. :D

Thanks so much for sending me that wonderful article, Kecasyl! That made my day - and the thought that Jeremy just might compete again - that it might not be over yet. :)

I'm saving the article. :)
Jeremy makes a lot of sense in that interview.
I fully understand everything he says, and I agree with him.
The pro competitions just aren't there anymore - and Jeremy still has the fire to compete - and the ability. The passing of his father occurred just before Nationals.
Jeremy states that he now does some of his training and practices in a new way, which has really helped him. I sure hope that Jeremy will skate in his tenth Nationals. :)

You know, the sad thing when you have a very favorite skater whom you've followed his whole career is that eventually, his career must end.
One then has to adjust.....
After Jeremy retires (I hope not yet!), I wish him the best of luck in his professional career - choreography and pro skating. :)
Again, many thanks, Kecasyl :)

Sylvia

TBD

Kecasyl

aftershocks

Banned Member
I've never seen Jeremy skate as a Junior. I found this clip on Youtube! Jeremy skating to his first U.S. Title: 2005 U.S. Junior Champ!!! Yay, this is a treat to watch. Jeremy has the exact same mannerisms and preparation moves here as we have seen over the years. But he's so young. :) Cool program and costume:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKiSadEalic

And here's a familiar program: 2010 Worlds sp (with original pairing of Johnny and Tara doing commentary for Universal Sports):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COwwMYgMgp4

Sylvia

TBD
I've never seen Jeremy skate as a Junior. I found this clip on Youtube! Jeremy skating to his first U.S. Title: 2005 U.S. Junior Champ!!! Yay, this is a treat to watch. Jeremy has the exact same mannerisms and preparation moves here as we have seen over the years. But he's so young. :) Cool program and costume:
@dinakt also posted the video link (uploaded by USFS) up thread and I commented in post #639. :)

Thanks Kecasyl for letting us know Jeremy is skating in the final DSC show on Sunday at 2 pm. Because the first ICE show in Japan is on July 22, I assume he likely will withdraw from Nick LaRoche's July 18th shows in El Segundo?

Last edited:

DreamSkates

Didn't he win by a big margin at least at Nationals, more than once? Seems the judges greatly appreciated him in the past, but not so much this year, for whatever reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information