ISU to evaluate feasibility of 2020-21 skating season

mjb52

The 14 day quarantine upon returning home thing confused me too. I wonder if that was a misquote or misunderstanding? If Worlds has already happened, quarantining 14 days after returning from Worlds to Canada seems irrelevant. Could he have been talking about something else?

ballettmaus

Well my issue is with considering athletes "high priority individuals" during that phase of vaccinations.

Morally and ethically that seems pretty far fetched.

I think it will be a more than big task to vaccinate the most vulnerable and medical personnel until summer 2021.
I agree with you. But many athletes with disabilities are probably more vulnerable than able-bodied athletes, so they could hold Paralympics.

I take your point, but would also point out that Olympics are very uplifting and exciting to many people, including myself. If getting an early vaccination is necessary for skaters to attend an OG, I'm okay with it.
I'd happily let athletes get vaccinated before I'm going to get vaccinated but they should not take any vaccines away from frontline or essential workers.

I would expect that most countries would put elite athletes right down at the bottom of the list for vaccinations. As a group, they tend to be young, fit, and healthy. Figure skaters are usually slim as well and therefore would probably be even less of a priority than athletes with a higher Body Mass Index.
Many athletes and skaters would probably be fine but a severe case of YKW has the potential to cut a career short.

seabm7

The 14 day quarantine upon returning home thing confused me too. I wonder if that was a misquote or misunderstanding? If Worlds has already happened, quarantining 14 days after returning from Worlds to Canada seems irrelevant. Could he have been talking about something else?

One of the problems would be who will pay the lost income of accompanying personnels to the Worlds due to the quarantine in Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information