ISU to evaluate feasibility of 2020-21 skating season

syzygy

I'm not sure why people think that stuff so "science fiction".

It's not even new that some countries will require certain vaccinations on entry. That has happened in the past. With a global ********* I really can't see countries like Australia or New Zealand letting in tourists from Europe or the US without harsh restrictions as long as the ********* is not under control everywhere. It's not as if they let people in at the moment. Vaccinations might ease restrictions for some people.
Additionally, most schools (at least around where I live) have always required a flu vaccine to receive education; I don't see how that would be different for COVID. My skating club requires a flu vaccine now with COVID being a thing. Vaccine requirements are not out of the norm for anything that requires membership; some gyms require them.

At most movie theaters, there is an identification requirement if one is seeing a movie that is R rated or higher just like carding for alcohol. This won't be that bad for any nation that already cards for things and there is an ability to register for things online beforehand so they can verify vaccination.

olympic

I don't think every country will be on the same schedule as the US, though, given existing agreements and vaccine availability. And the three vaccines whose stage 3 results have been announced all require two doses, a few weeks apart. But it is possible that once enough people in the population are vaccinated, it will be safer for everyone; that's herd immunity, of course.

I believe children and younger teens are lower on the list because there aren't yet results on the effect of the vaccines for those age groups.
Absolutely true. I wonder where the US will stand relative to vaccine distribution in Europe, Canada, Russia, Japan, China, Korea (just using nations that are powerhouses in the skating world as an example) because that will inform as to the feasibility of a worlds competition next March - May.

But even if we have a ways to go in vaccinations by March, will Worlds still occur on a limited accessibility basis? Ex - Instant tests are about to be distributed and perhaps skaters / entourages can only travel / compete with a negative test (?) Above it was discussed that major airlines may conduct tests before boarding and only allow those testing negative to travel internationally. That sounds like too big of a task for arenas, so maybe masking or limited seating for a competition which we saw at CoR, or no one except judges like at SA. Pure speculation of course.

Miezekatze

Additionally, most schools (at least around where I live) have always required a flu vaccine to receive education; I don't see how that would be different for *********. My skating club requires a flu vaccine now with ********* being a thing. Vaccine requirements are not out of the norm for anything that requires membership; some gyms require them.

Yeah, a measles vaccination is now also mandatory for entry to German kindergardens, since measels were becoming more of a problem again (even if parents can sort of just pay the very high fine to ignore it :rolleyes: , but I still think it improves the quotas). Italy also made measles vaccination mandatory recently.

I think most countries aren't going to make the Covid-19 vaccination mandatory any time soon, because it was developed so quickly and also because there's simply not enough for everybody for a long time, but generally it's not as if mandatory vaccinations are unheard of.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
I think most countries aren't going to make the C-19 vaccination mandatory any time soon, because it was developed so quickly and also because there's simply not enough for everybody for a long time, but generally it's not as if mandatory vaccinations are unheard of.

The problem with making the C19 vaccine mandatory is that the current estimated capacity for vaccine production is around 1 billion doses. So that would only vaccinate 1/2 billion people.

Also, what about people who have had C19 and already have antibodies?
What would the effect be of giving them the vaccine?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Also, what about people who have had C19 and already have antibodies?
What would the effect be of giving them the vaccine?
At least one of the vaccine manufacturers has said that isn't a problem with their vaccine. I don't remember which one but in general this shouldn't be a problem.

Even if you already had it, it's worth getting the vaccine because it will probably give you a much longer immunity than having it. (Based on the reports we are seeing.)

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
At least one of the vaccine manufacturers has said that isn't a problem with their vaccine. I don't remember which one but in general this shouldn't be a problem.

Even if you already had it, it's worth getting the vaccine because it will probably give you a much longer immunity than having it. (Based on the reports we are seeing.)
Thank you for the info!

MsZem

I see the sea
Before 4CC was established in 1999 Europe was the only region who had a competition like Euros before Worlds anyway.
Which Dick Button and Barbara Ann Scott won, back in the day :)

And now the world is a better and fairer place, and there's no need to go back to the bad old ways.
It's not @Miezekatze who thinks Worlds is not feasible if there isn't a continental championship first.

Debbie S

The skaters, coaches, officials would be fine staying in a bubble at the comp...the problem is the risk from traveling (and you can be exposed and contagious several days before testing positive) plus the preparation logistics - rinks are already being shut down in some parts of the U.S. and the world, and that could worsen in the next month or two. Expecting to hold Worlds at the scheduled time seems delusional.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Not until the bitter end .... a rink can be put back in days... always an optimist!
I still say lets move this sh*t outside... Just for one season... make a rink somewhere outside and do it that way, minimal to no spectators and lets not be divas for once in this society.

Have you ever seen them youtubes videos from like the 1910-20s where they are dressed head to toe, and I do mean head to toe, in uncomfortable clothing and skating their tooshies off? Do it that way for one Euros, one 4CCs and one worlds.

I think it would be fun. Strap on the ole hip flask, cue the music and shake it to nature.

P.S. Love your Christmas tree!

Cherub721

YEAH!
I'm not endorsing it, but I half wonder if Russia would be bold enough to offer to host Euros last minute and if the ISU would accept. With P&C confirmed as not going, most medal contenders are Russian anyway, and quite a few (Eastern European) countries sent skaters to Rostelecom. They could hold it in one of the smaller cities with no audience.

Vagabond

I'm not endorsing it, but I half wonder if Russia would be bold enough to offer to host Euros last minute and if the ISU would accept. With P&C confirmed as not going, most medal contenders are Russian anyway, and quite a few (Eastern European) countries sent skaters to Rostelecom. They could hold it in one of the smaller cities with no audience.
🤔 Isn't the fact that most medal contenders are Russian a reason for holding it Zagreb as planned i the event is held at all? Spread the wealth around!

I'm advocating hosting the event in a neutral venue, of course. :saint:

Bigbird

🤔 Isn't the fact that most medal contenders are Russian a reason for holding it Zagreb as planned i the event is held at all? Spread the wealth around!

I'm advocating hosting the event in a neutral venue, of course. :saint:
Just give the Russians all the medals while the rest of the world tries to survive the pandemic. The rest of us will endure and prepare for the next season. Nothing off putting about that, right?

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I think it's best if everyone accepts that even if, unwisely, Worlds goes ahead, it cannot possibly be used as the Olympic qualifier this time.

What this means - whether it will mean Olympic-season Nebelhorn will be twice the heart-attack it usually is, or some other arrangement is made - is as yet unclear.

Tahuu

Don’t know if this has been posted elsewhere but here is an eye-opener

Canada might not compete at the world championships, if they happen at all

The excuses - lack of training and need to quarantine - for not going to Worlds aren't convincing.

"Canada's COVID-19 protocols that require a 14-day quarantine once returning home would be an issue. "How ready can athletes be if they have to miss two weeks of training? Is that realistic?" Slipchuk said."

Isn't Worlds the last competition of the season. Which one is more devastated to the Canadian skaters - not allowed to compete at Worlds or have to stay at home for 14 days after Worlds?

"Slipchuk is keeping fingers crossed that the Canadian championships, originally scheduled for January but pushed back to February 8-14, can be held live as planned in Vancouver."

After Canadian championships, you still couldn't select and send eager, able and ready skaters to compete at Worlds in another month?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information