ISU Grand Prix Assignments 2017/18 Olympic season

Vagabond

( admin has edited)
One of the most offensive posts I have ever seen on FSU.

Just in case anyone missed it, I'm joking and I apologize to anyone who's offended.

ETA: I'm leaving the post up, as per skatingguy's request. How anyone could think that jokes about physical attacks on skaters or Israelis or anyone would not be offensive is beyond me.

Last edited by a moderator:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Tankova/Zilberberg have the Euros/Olys minimums from last season, and, so far this season, they've competed at USIFSC and Ice Star. She was born in Ukraine; does she have Israeli citizenship and/or a Jewish grandparent?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
So what's the problem with Sadovsky who is ranked Top10 in the subs list besides he is not Kerry? :huh:;)

Another way to look at it is he may be the very first skater on the list without an event who is actually able to compete. Dolensky can't since there are already three US men. Balde is skating on a big tour and I'm not sure he'd like to give that up for one GP. And I'm doubting Dmitriev was submitted for consideration by the Russian Federation this season.

Carolla5501

Hey, maybe the Israeli Ice Dance team won't be able to compete and that would make Israel ineligible. Would they have another senior couple with citizenship and minimums? They train in Detroit. It's a dangerous city, something could happen. :EVILLE:
Just in case anyone missed it, I'm joking and I apologize to anyone who's offended.

Just in case you missed it, Putting a tiny disclaimer on your post doesn't make it a joke. But it does confirm that you look like a jerk!

Another one for the ignore feature. I don't need to read posts from 12 year old kids (or adults who act like 12 year old kids!)

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
He's scheduled to compete at CS Warsaw Cup this week. (What big tour?)

The tour in question is linked above by @greenapple and starts Sunday night in Bratislava and continues throughout next week. Misha Ge is also scheduled to appear, so maybe both skaters plan to skate Friday and Saturday in their events and then take a quick plane to start the tour.

barbarafan

Another way to look at it is he may be the very first skater on the list without an event who is actually able to compete. Dolensky can't since there are already three US men. Balde is skating on a big tour and I'm not sure he'd like to give that up for one GP. And I'm doubting Dmitriev was submitted for consideration by the Russian Federation this season.
Balde and Firus are also doing Warsaw this weekend. So it would be Poland to Skate America.

skatingguy

decently
One of the most offensive posts I have ever seen on FSU.

Take the post down, and I will consider accepting the apology. Otherwise, I will leave your original post here in quotes, just so people can see what it was.
Okay, please leave your post. I have deleted the original.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
The sun rises, the sun sets, and misskarne bitches about perceived slights to Australian skaters. Don't ever change. :lol:

I never will. :lol:

Look, that did come out wrong. It's nothing against Sadovsky himself, who I'm sure is a quite a nice guy.

This is my issue:

Brendan - SB29

Sadovsky - SB43

C'mon...

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Quick question.

Is nominating Roman Sadovsky the host choice?

I wonder if that was a small tactical move on behalf of the USFSA, inviting a skater who wouldn't be a direct threat to Adam Rippon's or Nathan Chen's chances of making the Grand Prix Final.

I am thinking of last season, when Mariah Bell was a possibility for the NHK Trophy when another skater dropped out. As the Skate America silver medal winner, Satoko Miyahara potentially risked missing the final if Bell finished ahead of her in Japan.

From memory, I believe Korea's Dabin Choi was the skater chosen to compete.

Last edited:

Erin

Banned Member
Quick question.

I wonder if that was a small tactical move on behalf of the USFSA, inviting a skater who wouldn't be a direct threat to Adam Rippon's or Nathan Chen's chances of making the Grand Prix Final.

Yes it is host pick selection, but I doubt in this case any of the skaters on the sub list would be a threat to Rippon or Chen's chances to make the Final.

In this case, I would suspect it was mostly about logistics in getting to Lake Placid on short notice on Thanksgiving weekend. Sadovksky can drive from Toronto in 6 hours. A flight even from LA could cost over $1000 on Thanksgiving weekend last minute. The math isn't hard to figure out.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Yes it is host pick selection, but I doubt in this case any of the skaters on the sub list would be a threat to Rippon or Chen's chances to make the Final.

In this case, I would suspect it was mostly about logistics in getting to Lake Placid on short notice on Thanksgiving weekend. Sadovksky can drive from Toronto in 6 hours. A flight even from LA could cost over $1000 on Thanksgiving weekend last minute. The math isn't hard to figure out.

Mostly, I was applying Bell versus Miyahara to this scenario. Thank you for clarifying.

Kerry could have played spoiler to Rippon's chances. That is, if Brendan was on his absolute A Game and Adam wasn't, I guess.

Driving sounds like a good option for Roman and his team.

I keep having visions of the movie, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles playing in my head!

barbarafan

Mostly, I was applying Bell versus Miyahara to this scenario. Thank you for clarifying.

Kerry could have played spoiler to Rippon's chances. That is, if Brendan was on his absolute A Game and Adam wasn't, I guess.

Driving sounds like a good option for Roman and his team.

I keep having visions of the movie, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles playing in my head!

He is a good choice and really really needs competition. He is a beautiful sensitive skater with lots of talent and one day he could be top of the podium but only if he works his but off and drives himself for a few years.Hope he really takes good advantage of this opportunity especially since someone had a sad disadvantage in order for the place to be passed to him. Good luck Roman...Knock it out the park.

barbarafan

Deleted.

I apologize to those who were offended by this post. I'm sorry and never intended any harm to come to Isabella Tobias or Ilia Tkachenko.

I know you did not in a million years. It is just that it has happened once (Tonya)for real and the last yr with people being injured and killed in the US just because someone felt like it and foreign countries sending in agents to murder people on US soil it is almost like an alternate universe now.It would be really nice if we could turn back the clock.

Erin

Banned Member

:lol: Kerry, who has finished 10th, 10th, and 11th in his previous GP assignments? I think that Rippon is more likely to be worried about having to beat at least one of Chen, Jin, and Voronov to get to the GPF, but that's just me. No offense to Kerry, whose skating I quite enjoyed in the practices at Skate Canada where he showed much more what he was capable of than in the competition. But even on a good day, I'm not sure his PCS would be up there to challenge in any event.

Sylvia

TBD
To be fair, Kerry's (82.30 at CS Lombardia) and Rippon's (84.95 at NHK) best SP scores this season are not that far apart due to Brendan going for 2 quads in his SP.

Rippon could finish 4th in Lake Placid and still have a shot at the Final. Based on last season's ISU SB scores, Kovtun would be the potential spoiler if he's healthy and can land his quads. But who knows what will happen in the final 2 GPs??

ETA:

Looks like France will not be replacing Besseghier with one of their own? (is there really no one who hasn't competed on the JGP this fall? 2017 Crystal Skate of Romania champ Philip Warren wuzrobbed! :p)
Zijun Li's spot is also going unfilled (she didn't have to be replaced due to her late WD, right?).

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

Given the quick turnaround between the GPF and US Nationals, I wonder who would want to go, especially since the Final is in Japan. That plays to the benefit of Fernandez, Patrick Chan and Hanyu, assuming the last recuperates soon enough to skate at Nationals.

kates8

With T/T withdraw from NHK, doesn't that automatically make them ineligible for Skate America and a dance spot is open?

Dobre

Quick question.

I am thinking of last season, when Mariah Bell was a possibility for the NHK Trophy when another skater dropped out. As the Skate America silver medal winner, Satoko Miyahara potentially risked missing the final if Bell finished ahead of her in Japan.

From memory, I believe Korea's Dabin Choi was the skater chosen to compete.

Dabin defeated Mariah at both 4CCs and Worlds, and Dabin was the highest ranked athlete from the previous Worlds without a second spot. I would say that both were top-level athletes meriting an invitation.

With T/T withdraw from NHK, doesn't that automatically make them ineligible for Skate America and a dance spot is open?

No. They earned the two spots and can use the second one if they are ready. (As Tanaka used his and as Kovtun plans to use his). T&T would only lose the chance to do another event if they were on the replacement list & needed to be selected off of it for a second event.

Last edited:

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck

Plus Canadian Thanksgiving is in October so it’s unlikely he’d have to cancel plans or anything like that.

I figured the replacement would be Canadian, I was hoping for Nadeau but I realized Sadovsky’s WS is actually higher due to his JGP medals presumably. I’m fine with this choice, hopefully he makes the most of it.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝

Dont Canada and USA have a history of scratching each others backs?

Didn't Canada fill a W/D 3 weeks ago with an American?

Plus, logistically and financially if the skate is in US or Canada is quite convenient to get that skater there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information