ISU Grand Prix Assignments 2017/18 Olympic season

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Greetings from Berlin y'all

Damn I see while I traveled for 20 hours hanyu withdrew and the knierims just this moment came in 4 th. Arrrgghhh

Frustrating to see other teams improve their score and them and s&b not

Raining and grey here. Gonna go for a walk.

What the heck happened to hanyu.

shuilee

Liam Firus would also have a short drive from Montreal to Lake Placid. Hoping for Nic or Liam! Although I'm sad Liam may have dropped his La La Land program? It was brilliant in SLC, but now he's skating to The Who's "Love Reign Over Me" to according to ISU bio.

Sylvia

TBD
Both Chafik Besseghier (France next week) and Alexander Petrov (SA) are crossed out on the Men's grid today: http://www.isu.org/docman-documents...gp-6/series-files-10/entries/7516-gp-men/file

ETA from earlier in the thread:
Besseghier has a collapsed lung and may either have undergone surgery or be about to undergo surgery.

http://www.ledauphine.com/sport/2017/10/03/besseghier-le-coup-dur

If he is otherwise healthy, he might still be able to compete at his home Grand Prix next month. Here's hoping....
I hope Chafik B. continues to heal.

MEN with 1 GP assignment or none (link to 2016-17 ISU SB list)
29 Kerry AUS - assigned to Skate Canada
31 Yan CHN - China host pick
33 Majorov SWE - assigned to China
35 Dolensky USA
36 Fentz GER - replaced Besseghier at Skate Canada
37 Balde CAN
42 Dmitriev RUS (assuming Russia submitted his name?)
43 Sadovsky CAN
44 Aymoz FRA - France host pick
46 D. Murakami JPN - Japan host pick but had to WD due to pneumonia (replaced by Kazuki Tomono)
47 Shulepov RUS
48 Miner USA - filled Skate America TBD
49 Martinez PHI
50 Yee MAS
51 Tomono JPN - replaced D. Murakami at NHK Trophy
74 Nadeau CAN - filled Canada TBD
-- Ponsart FRA - France host pick
-- Lazukin RUS - filled Rostelecom TBD
-- H. Sato JPN - filled NHK TBD

Received a 2nd GP as an alternate:
26 Nguyen CAN - assigned to Rostelecom & replaced Farris at NHK
27 Kvitelashvili GEO - assigned to France & replaced Tanaka at Rostelecom Cup (per @RoseRed's reminder below)
34 Brezina CZE - assigned to NHK & replaced Kovtun at Skate Canada
40 Messing CAN - Canada host pick & replaced Chan at NHK Trophy

DANCE teams with 1 GP assignment or none (link to 2016-17 ISU SB list)
21 Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen DEN - assigned to NHK
22 McNamara/Carpenter USA - assigned to China
27 Nazarova/Nikitin UKR - assigned to NHK
28 Lorenz/Polizoakis GER - assigned to Canada
29 Popova/Mozgov RUS - replaced Evdokimova/Bazin at Rostelecom Cup in Russia
34 Min/Gamelin KOR
35 Jakushina/Nevskiy LAT
36 Mansour/Ceska CZE
38 Smart/Diaz ESP - assigned to Canada
41 Koch/Nuchtern GER
---
42 Galayavieva/Abecassis FRA
[44 Evdokimova/Bazin RUS - originally assigned to Rostelecom TBD; WD beforehand]
45 Kuzmichova/Sinicyn CZE - assigned to Rostelecom
46 Torn/Partanen FIN
48 Hurtado/Khaliavin ESP
59 Alessandrini/Souquet FRA - filled France TBD
[64 Song/Sun CHN - China host pick, later replaced by Wang/Zhao]
68 Chen/Zhao CHN - China host pick
-- Soucisse/Firus CAN - Canada host pick
-- Komatsubara/Koleto JPN - filled NHK TBD
-- Wang/Zhao CHN - replaced Song/Sun in China
-- Coomes/Buckland GBR (names not submitted or bypassed in initial selection?) - late replacement for Tobias/Tkachenko at NHK Trophy (T/T also are scheduled for Skate America)

Last edited:

Vagabond

Both Chafik Besseghier (France next week) and Alexander Petrov (SA) are crossed out on the Men's grid today: http://www.isu.org/docman-documents...gp-6/series-files-10/entries/7516-gp-men/file

ETA from earlier in the thread:
Besseghier has a collapsed lung and may either have undergone surgery or be about to undergo surgery.

http://www.ledauphine.com/sport/2017/10/03/besseghier-le-coup-dur

If he is otherwise healthy, he might still be able to compete at his home Grand Prix next month. Here's hoping...
I hope Chafik B. continues to heal.

This was posted in the U.S. Men's thread (clearly the most logical place to look for information about Chafik Besseghier, when you think about it ;) ):

Chafik appeared with Philippe Candeloro in a brief live promo video today for GP France in Grenoble.
He skated..not a lot..but he looked fine.

http://france3-regions.francetvinfo...duo-fait-son-show-foire-grenoble-1359909.html

Dobre

If Tkachenko/Tobias have to withdraw from SA, then Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen would be an obvious replacement choice if USFS is willing to make late substitutions.

Eight of the dance teams on the replacement list live & train in North America. McNamara & Carpenter can't go as the U.S. spots are filled, but that still leaves seven teams:

Coomes & Buckland-with Igor
Fournier-Beaudry & Sorenson-Montreal
Nazarova & Nikitin-with Igor
Lorenz & Polizoakis-with Marina
Min & Gamelin-with Igor
Mansour & Ceska-with Igor
Smart & Diaz-Montreal

I do think Fournier-Beaudry & Sorenson would have a good a shot. They are the highest ranked team from the last Worlds, have the third highest SB from this season on the list (after Coomes & Buckland and Popova & Mozgov), and their SB is lower than Hawayek & Baker and the Parsons' SBs. Min & Gamelin are the highest ranked team without any invitation. Coomes & Buckland have the highest SB from this season and a top 7 finish from the 2016 Worlds. Lorenz & Polizoakis train with Marina who will already be at SA with the Shibs and Muramoto & Reed. But so do Tobias & Tkachenko, who will hopefully be there.

RoseRed

meggonzo

Banned Member
Kerry would be an easy, inexpensive replacement for the open SA spot.

If Tkachenko/Tobias have to withdraw from SA, then Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen would be an obvious replacement choice if USFS is willing to make late substitutions.

I hope they replace all the open spots. I want my money's worth. :soapbox:

Catherine M

With skate America being over a major holiday weekend with limited open seats on flights to Albany, I think Montreal based skaters will look very appealing to the USFS as any open spots are filled.

jmtfti

Liam Firus would also have a short drive from Montreal to Lake Placid. Hoping for Nic or Liam! Although I'm sad Liam may have dropped his La La Land program? It was brilliant in SLC, but now he's skating to The Who's "Love Reign Over Me" to according to ISU bio.

His bio still shows last year's info -- they don't seem to update for some of those with only Challenger assignments.

Either man would be a great choice!

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Feeling bad for Petrov and Besseghier. Collapsed lung ouch!

Please, please, please, please put Brendan in at Skate America. Please, please, please...

MAXSwagg

Well men's event at GPF is going to be a major slop fest now if Javi doesn't make it.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Well men's event at GPF is going to be a major slop fest now if Javi doesn't make it.

And even with a win, it will be difficult to get in. Kolyada is ahead, Uno and Chen would only need a 4th place result in their second events, Jin would need a podium place at Skate America, and Brown on the podium here would also beat Javier's best case scenario.

Then you have Voronov, Bychenko, and Rippon in their first event at NHK this weekend and at least two of those three are potential podium finishers, and maybe even one ends up the winner.

On top of that, Javier has to go up against Shoma Uno next week and Shoma is probably the most consistent of the top skaters so far this season. So I'd say it's 95% sure that we won't see Fernandez in the Final.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
And even with a win, it will be difficult to get in. Kolyada is ahead, Uno and Chen would only need a 4th place result in their second events, Jin would need a podium place at Skate America, and Brown on the podium here would also beat Javier's best case scenario.

Then you have Voronov, Bychenko, and Rippon in their first event at NHK this weekend and at least two of those three are potential podium finishers, and maybe even one ends up the winner.

On top of that, Javier has to go up against Shoma Uno next week and Shoma is probably the most consistent of the top skaters so far this season. So I'd say it's 95% sure that we won't see Fernandez in the Final.

With Brown out of the podium (incredible) at NHK then Javier's cause doesn't seem THAT imposible now

Difficult yes but Jason made him a tiny bit easier. Though Javi is not competing ok and going against Uno will be a hard task

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I think you can stick a fork in us now. Brendan would have to nab Skate America and win the damn thing at this rate. :fragile:

I love your unbridled support of all things Australian. The skaters work so hard, and it is great to see the likes of Brendan and Kailani being recognised for their dedication.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I love your unbridled support of all things Australian. The skaters work so hard, and it is great to see the likes of Brendan and Kailani being recognised for their dedication.

I'm so proud of our skaters. And I truly do feel that this is the best Olympic team we've ever sent. So I'm just going to be sad that we're not going to make the team event because who knows where we'll be in 4 years' time? I mean maybe in four years Veteran Brendan will be an actual Top Contender At Worlds and maybe we'll have multiple spots for men and ladies and Veteran Kailani and Veteran Brooklee don't have to fear one of them left behind, and Experienced Katia and Harley will be a top Senior pair, and our dance teams will have come on strong and we'll be even stronger than we are now. But maybe in four years Brendan has retired because he'll be 27 by then and he's not been injury free and James struggles to make it in his place. Maybe in four years Kailani and Brooklee will both be gone and Holly doesn't quite make it. Maybe in four years Harley's knee has given way and we're struggling to find Katia another partner. Maybe in four years our dancers have split or broken more bones. Maybe in four years we don't qualify enough disciplines. And then this year will have been the chance we should have had but didn't quite make it.

/emotional ramble

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I'm so proud of our skaters. And I truly do feel that this is the best Olympic team we've ever sent. So I'm just going to be sad that we're not going to make the team event because who knows where we'll be in 4 years' time? I mean maybe in four years Veteran Brendan will be an actual Top Contender At Worlds and maybe we'll have multiple spots for men and ladies and Veteran Kailani and Veteran Brooklee don't have to fear one of them left behind, and Experienced Katia and Harley will be a top Senior pair, and our dance teams will have come on strong and we'll be even stronger than we are now. But maybe in four years Brendan has retired because he'll be 27 by then and he's not been injury free and James struggles to make it in his place. Maybe in four years Kailani and Brooklee will both be gone and Holly doesn't quite make it. Maybe in four years Harley's knee has given way and we're struggling to find Katia another partner. Maybe in four years our dancers have split or broken more bones. Maybe in four years we don't qualify enough disciplines. And then this year will have been the chance we should have had but didn't quite make it.

/emotional ramble

Okay, take this from a fellow overthinker: You might want to stop overthinking this. No one ever knows what's going to happen in four years. Might as well just sit back, hope for the best, and watch events play out. :)

Erin

Banned Member

skatingguy

decently
Deleted.

I apologize to those who were offended by this post. I'm sorry and never intended any harm to come to Isabella Tobias or Ilia Tkachenko.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information