ISU Grand Prix Assignments 2017/18 Olympic season

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I'd be thrilled for Sakhanovich to get a spot. Not just for Sima, but to see Plushenko at the boards.

legjumper

Good for them. They should have received that spot from the beginning, IMO.

Why should they? Last season they didn’t even qualify for Russian nationals. I am happy they got it now, but at the same time it is fair that they had to prove themselves. Why should they get the host event based on last year results when the results were not that great?

I can't speak for @Marta24, but I thought after watching the Russian test skates that it was evident that the spot should have gone to Popova/Mozgov. They have better programs, and I think it would be hard to argue that Evdokimova/Bazin are better skaters or a superior ice dance team, regardless of what happened last season with respect to Russian Nationals. Now, clearly P/M have proven themselves at two Challengers and the spot has now gone to them - but unfortunately in the process, E/B have lost the spot, which wouldn't have happened if it had been awarded outright to P/M.

skatingguy

decently
I don't really think that Skate Canada's going too concerned with Austman's final placement at the competition is going to be. Skate Canada will be about experience for Austman and nothing more, process will be the goal, getting used to competition at this level.

Marco

I would love it if Kailani would grab a GP spot. However, I don't know if her Olympic spot is secured yet, if not she might need to compete at other events with Brooklee instead.

mag

I would love it if Kailani would grab a GP spot. However, I don't know if her Olympic spot is secured yet, if not she might need to compete at other events with Brooklee instead.

I hadn't thought of that. I heard a rumour from an acquaintance who heard it from someone else (so take it for what it is worth) that they will have to skate off for the Olympic spot.

hanca

Values her privacy
I can't speak for @Marta24, but I thought after watching the Russian test skates that it was evident that the spot should have gone to Popova/Mozgov. They have better programs, and I think it would be hard to argue that Evdokimova/Bazin are better skaters or a superior ice dance team, regardless of what happened last season with respect to Russian Nationals. Now, clearly P/M have proven themselves at two Challengers and the spot has now gone to them - but unfortunately in the process, E/B have lost the spot, which wouldn't have happened if it had been awarded outright to P/M.
The problem is that test skates took place a month ago. A lot can change in that time. (See how much changed in junior pairs since their test skates! ) To give someone spot only because someone has a better program is not a good enough reason in my opinion. One needs to skate better, not to have a better program.

Who do you think should have awarded them GP? The host countries did not have a reason to invite P/M because they don’t have the points. So the only way how P/M and Evdokimova/Bazin would have a GP is if Russia invited both pairs as their host spot, and that’s not gonna happen! Usually host countries put two decent skaters/couples/pairs and one weaker to give them a chance to experience a GP event, but I can’t see them putting there on purpose two weak couples. That just doesn’t happen. Canada and USA also doesn’t give two of their three host dance slots to weaker couples to give them a chance to have a GP event.

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

Just a theoretical question (as I fear I will never get this GP subs rules :shuffle:):
Could Schott be given the one of the open Skate Canada spots too as a 2nd GP?
Or is her 'right' gone, after she got considered as a substitute for a GP already? :COP:

(Just in theory, I am happy with one spot already :40beers:)

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode

I'm sure ISA have a plan in place for if either one got a GP spot.

I hadn't thought of that. I heard a rumour from an acquaintance who heard it from someone else (so take it for what it is worth) that they will have to skate off for the Olympic spot.

Such a skate-off may take place at Nationals, of course.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Just a theoretical question (as I fear I will never get this GP subs rules :shuffle:):
Or is her 'right' gone, after she got considered as a substitute for a GP already? :COP:

She can get it as she's still on the top group of alternates. I think it was Galustyan who went from zero GPs to two in one day last year?

J

Jeschke

Last edited by a moderator:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Skaters stay on the alternates list until they get two, withdraw from the one they have, or (presumably) if they are pulled by their Fed because they're injured or split. So Schott still will be eligible, even if she's not assigned to Skate Canada (likely, since it's back-to-back with Rostelecom Cup on another continent.)

Ka3sha

Just for the record: Evdokimova/Bazin were not pulled out in favour of Popova/Mozgov. Sofia broke her rips, thus the wirthdrawal.
(they had to pull out of CS Minsk too, where they were replaced by Solovieva/Vlasenko)
They are still listed as subtitles in Minsk, hopefully she will be ok by that time.

Last edited:

mag

I'm sure ISA have a plan in place for if either one got a GP spot.

Such a skate-off may take place at Nationals, of course.

I thought I read somewhere that it had to do with their international rankings and if they were more than 20 places apart, the higher one got the spot. If less than twenty then they had to compete at an international comp together and see where the ranking were after that. I could have sworn I read that ... maybe I am losing it?

Sylvia

TBD
I thought I read somewhere that it had to do with their international rankings and if they were more than 20 places apart, the higher one got the spot. If less than twenty then they had to compete at an international comp together and see where the ranking were after that. I could have sworn I read that ... maybe I am losing it?
Marco posted in the Australian news thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/australian-skating-news.98953/page-13#post-5143768

ETA:

Anastasia Galustyan (ARM) has replaced Soyoun Park at Rostelecom: http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat03108219.htm
She's #63 on the 2016-17 ISU SB list (and she doesn't need a visa?).

Last edited:

sandra_persch

Frida80

Yay Courtney! She got the GP she was hoping for! While I still think she'll get a second CS, I'm glad she got another chance to skate this fall!:cheer2:

Sylvia

TBD
I hope Chafik B. recovers quickly and well. Paul Fentz's name appeared on the men's grid on Oct. 12: http://www.isu.org/docman-documents...gp-6/series-files-10/entries/7516-gp-men/file

As announced on Friday afternoon by USFS, Gracie Gold's assignments will need to be filled (China & France). Her name likely will be crossed out next week on the ladies' grid (Galustyan, Craine & Hicks were added on Oct. 12): http://www.isu.org/docman-documents...series-files-10/entries/7515-gp-ladies-1/file

ETA:

MEN with 1 GP assignment or none (link to 2016-17 ISU SB list)
27 Kvitelashvili GEO - assigned to France
29 Kerry AUS - assigned to Skate Canada
31 Yan CHN - China host pick
33 Majorov SWE - assigned to China
35 Dolensky USA
36 Fentz GER - replaced Besseghier at Skate Canada
37 Balde CAN
40 Messing CAN - Canada host pick
42 Dmitriev RUS (assuming Russia submitted his name?)
43 Sadovsky CAN
44 Aymoz FRA - France host pick
46 D. Murakami JPN - Japan host pick
47 Shulepov RUS
48 Miner USA - filled Skate America TBD
49 Martinez PHI
50 Yee MAS
74 Nadeau CAN - filled Canada TBD
-- Ponsart FRA - France host pick
-- Lazukin RUS - filled Rostelecom TBD
-- H. Sato JPN - filled NHK TBD

Have since received a 2nd GP:
26 Nguyen CAN - assigned to Rostelecom & replaced Farris at NHK
34 Brezina CZE - assigned to NHK & replaced Kovtun at Skate Canada

LADIES with 1 GP assignment or none (link to 2016-17 ISU SB list)
34 Glenn USA
Re. Polina Edmunds who already is assigned to France:
Edmunds SB from 15-16 of 183.20 from 2015 Rostelecom Cup places her as SB 35, between Glenn and Hicks, because return skaters "will be ranked in the list of Season’s Best scores by taking the Season’s Best points of their most recent season..." and within the Top Ten for the alternates list.
35 Hicks USA - replaced Rodeghiero or N. Kim at Skate Canada
41 Matsuda JPN
42 Sakhanovich RUS
45 Nitaya JPN
49 Tennell USA - filled Skate America TBD
50 Schott GER - replaced Toth at Rostelecom Cup
55 Craine AUS - replaced Rodeghiero or N. Kim at Skate Canada
63 Galustyan ARM - replaced S. Park at Rostelecom
83 Zhao CHN - China host pick
143 Austman CAN - filled Skate Canada TBD
-- Edmunds USA - invited to France under "return" clause/8th at 2015 Worlds (refer to kwanfan1818's quoted post above)
-- Valeriia Mikhailova RUS - filled Rostelecom Cup TBD

Last edited:

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck

I think COTN got 2 GP events with no initial events last season, so both as substitutes, or?

Cleo1782

I wonder if the USFS will try to get an American skater into these events that Gracie pulled out of? Like how C/L miraculously replaced K/O at COC. I know the federation chooses, but I would love to see Wang get a spot or perhaps give Bradie or Hicks a 2nd one? I know Glenn is high on the list, but her recent outings haven't been great. I think both Angela and Bradie have shown they are in good shape and deserve a chance. Besides, none of them are real threats to the top skaters anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information