ISU Grand Prix Assignments 2017/18 Olympic season

hanca

Values her privacy
I've never even heard of Mikhailova before. Think this Russian ladies' field might be deep or something? :)
She had two JGP events two years ago, ended 4th and 5th, which considering the competition within Russian junior ladies is considered a disaster. So last season she didn't get any JGP event. Last season she was 11th at senior nationals. Everyone who placed there above her already has GP events or JGP event, so it seems quite fair that she was chosen.

She also placed 3rd at Russian cup this week with the score of 182.57. Above her was Guliakova and Gubanova, but they both have JGP event so they can't be sent to GP.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WhQgw6A8cOg
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi5XqxVB9Dc

Last edited:

Dobre

She has been a very solid skater every time I have seen her perform. Goes out. Does her job. Skated essentially clean at both her JGPs two years ago and from what I remember of her performances at Russian Nationals last season. She isn't flashy, and doesn't get plus GOE. I remember people saying she wasn't fast. And I don't remember what jumps she did last season, but she had the triple triple in juniors. Like Dabin, she does her job on the ice. I'm happy she won the spot. I'd like to see Sima also, but Mikhailova earned this place the hard way. I'm glad to see her receive it.

hanca

Values her privacy
She has been a very solid skater every time I have seen her perform. Goes out. Does her job. Skated essentially clean at both her JGPs two years ago and from what I remember of her performances at Russian Nationals last season. She isn't flashy, and doesn't get plus GOE. I remember people saying she wasn't fast. And I don't remember what jumps she did last season, but she had the triple triple in juniors. Like Dabin, she does her job on the ice. I'm happy she won the spot. I'd like to see Sima also, but Mikhailova earned this place the hard way. I'm glad to see her receive it.
Yes, that's exactly what I remember. Skating clean programs, no visible mistakes and then I was shocked that the score was so low (relatively). Probably a problem with underrotations. But that was two years ago, a lot could have changed since then.

(Of course she had triple-triple @Dobre , everyone at their senior and junior nationals has triple triple. Without that there is no chance of getting to the nationals, juniors or seniors. In Russia having triple-triple is no 'wow', it is considered basic thing. )

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Wang Xuehan has been injured since the summer I guess she is not fully healed yet for Wang/Wang to take the pairs |TBD spot.
Wang/Wang had two assignments in the initial selection: Rostelecom Cup, from which they've been crossed out on today's grid, and Internationaux de France.

olympic

http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat03108219.htm
CoR Ladies TBD spot is Valeriia Mikhailova

http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat03108232.htm
CoC Pairs TBD spot is Mingyang ZHANG / Bowen SONG

He Zhang skated at the Chinese National Grand Prix recently so I'm inclined to think that he will be the China men's TBD. Wang Xuehan has been injured since the summer I guess she is not fully healed yet for Wang/Wang to take the pairs |TBD spot.

Too bad that Glenn or Hicks did not get that empty slot at CoR. They were at the top of the list of substitutes

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Mikhailova got the TBD host spot. Russia was not going to give a host spot to a non-Russian skater. Plus the host can pick any of the Top Ten without one, and there's no obligation to pick from the top of the list and much incentive to pick a weaker skater, one who's cheap to transport, one who doesn't need to worry about visas, or someone for whom a deal was made.

The substitute for Ivett Toth from the alternates list hasn't been announced yet.

olympic

Mikhailova got the TBD host spot. Russia was not going to give a host spot to a non-Russian skater. Plus the host can pick any of the Top Ten without one, and there's no obligation to pick from the top of the list and much incentive to pick a weaker skater, one who's cheap to transport, one who doesn't need to worry about visas, or someone for whom a deal was made.

The substitute for Ivett Toth from the alternates list hasn't been announced yet.

OK. Sorry. I saw TBD spot for CoR and I assumed it was the spot vacated by Toth.

J

Jeschke

Esbrat/Novoselov got the host spot?
Did DG turn the softie route or will he remove them last second? :D

Rock2

I know this issue comes up once in awhile and is covered, so...sorry for the repeat, but....

Are SB lists updated formally or informally based on results at the recent Bs? On the Canada side I wonder if Messing, Nam or Firus are in a better position to get an open slot given recent results (assuming they are an improvement on current SB which I know at least is the case for Firus)

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
^^^^ Who was next on the list tho? Amber Glenn? How far down was Nicole?
The only thing that matters is that she was in the Top 10 without two already, not skating JGP, and submitted by her Federation. There's no ranking within the Top Ten, so the only "next on the list" that counts is the one who would be added to the Top 10 if a Top Ten skater was no longer on the list.

I know this issue comes up once in awhile and is covered, so...sorry for the repeat, but....

Are SB lists updated formally or informally based on results at the recent Bs? On the Canada side I wonder if Messing, Nam or Firus are in a better position to get an open slot given recent results (assuming they are an improvement on current SB which I know at least is the case for Firus)
Officially, only winners of CS events with the GP minimums (a given) are added to the bottom of the alternates list. The paragraph said 2016-17 winners, who would already be on the SB list from last year, and I don't know if they simply got the season wrong, or they thought there was a chance that a CS winner from last season would also not have a Top 24 SB:

Skaters/Couples, who place first in any of the ISU Challenger Series events for 2016/17 and can prove to have skated the minimum total score or the minimum Technical score as mentioned in paragraph 2.3, as well as Skaters/Couples, who can prove to have skated the minimum Technical score will be added to the alternate list, bottom ranked according to their scores.

At least until a couple of seasons ago, it was the CS winners from the current season, and before CS began, five or six specific events. That's how, by beating Stolbova/Klimov by a smidge in one of these vents, one of the US Pairs teams -- the Knierems? -- got a GP spot the first season they had an alternates list. But only because they had run out of eligible Pairs. For the rest of the disciplines, being #76 is irrelevant.

Of course, that's not how it's been practiced.

Dobre

Officially, only winners of CS events with the GP minimums (a given) are added to the bottom of the alternates list. The paragraph said 2016-17 winners, who would already be on the SB list from last year, and I don't know if they simply got the season wrong, or they thought there was a chance that a CS winner from last season would also not have a Top 24 SB.

So it's possible that if Coomes & Buckland win Nebelhorn with a high score, they will still not go on the replacement list?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I think it was a cut-and-paste error: the wording is exactly the same as in the 16-17 announcement, updated from the 15-16 announcement (which referenced the 15-16 season's CS events) and they probably just didn't update this year's wording to reflect this season. (I had to get home to confirm the downloaded copy I have: the ISU site update changed all of the urls, and it's possible they didn't bother to make old versions accessible.)

If they go by the letter of the announcement, then while C/B could win Nebelhorn, they'd be #76 on the list before splits and juniors are removed if C/B weren't submitted as a comeback team. Which is as useful as not being on the list, unless you're a Pair and the field is decimated. The most direct interpretation of her comment on social media was that they were submitted, but were bypassed entirely. If that is true, then their SB from 2015-16 has already been added to the SB list, and they are already eligible

A Skater or Couple, not included among those defined in paragraphs a) and b) above, who was previously
in the top 7 to 12 at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2015 or 2016 but since was injured
and/or did not compete at all during the entire 2016/17 season, may be chosen, if applicable, as an
Organizing ISU Member Skater, and in addition, may be considered as an Organizing ISU Member’s
Choice and will be ranked in the list of Season’s Best scores by taking the Season’s Best points of their
most recent season, if proof is given in writing by their ISU Member that they intend to continue their
competitive career and their return is announced and confirmed by the date of the annual Selection
Meeting.
Such Skater or Couple is defined as a “Return Skater/Couple” and such a Return Skater/Couple
does not need to fulfill the requirement of a minimum Grand Prix sco

C/B's PB is 173.17 from 2016 Worlds, which would have slotted them into #15 on the 2016-17 SB list, ie, one of the Top Ten on the current alternates list. That, too, is no guarantee of being chosen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information