I, Tonya

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Last edited:

LarrySK8

They used Heidi Munger because of her similarity to the actress (Margot) in the film. That, for the film, is far more vital than Heidi looking like Tonya, or even Margot looking like Tonya.

Sylvia

TBD
Heidi Munger competed at 2016 U.S. Nationals at the senior level but just missed qualifying the past 2 years. She spoke to Sarah Brannen at Eastern Sectionals this past week about her role in I, Tonya: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/11/20/262171988
"They ended up not using me for many of the jumping scenes, because the body discrepancy was just a little too much," Munger said. "I'm actually more similar to Margot's measurements. It was kind of scary how similar the costumes looked to [Harding's] actual costumes. For the hair, we had a wig. It took, like, two hours just to get the cap on to cover your hair, and then the wig, and then to style it."
"I was having a once-in-a-lifetime experience, so it was definitely worth it," Munger said. "It was a different way to view the sport, to take what I've spent so much time doing and do something different with it."
Munger will go to New York City to see a pre-screening of the movie Nov. 29.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Heidi Munger competed at 2016 U.S. Nationals at the senior level but just missed qualifying the past 2 years. She spoke to Sarah Brannen at Eastern Sectionals this past week about her role in I, Tonya: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/11/20/262171988

According to the article, "Robbie is almost six inches taller than Harding, which made the tall and willowy Munger a good match for her."

Seeing this article, I really miss Mark Mitchell's skating. He was such a joy to watch.

Sarah S. Brannen also got a bit saucy with her subhead, "Dolensky Loves Dallas", I must say!

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
They used Heidi Munger because of her similarity to the actress (Margot) in the film. That, for the film, is far more vital than Heidi looking like Tonya, or even Margot looking like Tonya.

Most of Heidis (if not all?) jumping passes were cut from the movie. I saw it Sunday.

IT WAS MAGNIFICENT!!

Ill try and post my thoughts (without giving away too much) later today. Ive just been so busy.

I went to a screening of it Sunday with Q&A from the writer/director.

Favorite movie Ive seen since "Lion."

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

30/30 The Price of Gold on ABC Sunday (tomorrow) December 3.......

Hey y'all. Its Saturday night and Im going through my DVR for the week and I notice there is a profile of January 6 1994 on TV tomorrow on ABC about the US Figure Skating Championships regarding Tonya and Nancy....

Its 90 minutes on ABC during the daytime....

Just saw it now and I hadn't heard about it yet..... Check it out if you read this in time....

Quintuple

papillon d'amour
AHHHHHH!

How on Earth, after obsessively following skating since before the whack, have I never heard of WOUNDED KNEE???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-eMME0fe8Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-eMME0fe8Q
Warning: It's 36 minutes of pure over-the-top cringe, probably from the same time that Spunk was created (kinda like that one night when ABC, NBC, and CBS all aired their own versions of The Amy Fisher Story at the same time).

This makes me sad.

BaileyCatts

Here is Margot's interview on Kimmel (Chris Pratt was guest host). I don't know how to set a break, so you have to start the video at about the 5:40 mark to where she talks about I, Tonya. She talks about meeting with Tonya. The first 5 minutes is her talking about growing up in Australia and is :yikes:. Don't say I didn't warn you. :p Sadly, as much as we all hoped Tonya had actually said it, she confirms Tonya never said "suck my d---". :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjICBHj1EzM

chattila

If this movie is premiering this coming Friday (Dec 8), then why can't I see it listed for any movie theater in the Metro Washington, DC area? Does anyone know if this is to be a "limited" or mainstream-release movie? I don't see it listed at any of the usual big movie companies (Regal, AMC, etc.).

chattila

Thanks for the clarification, Wyliefan and Erin. By premiering in NY and LA now, the film can be considered for Oscar nominations. Then take advantage of the pre-Oly hype for all other openings. Makes sense.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

If this movie is premiering this coming Friday (Dec 8), then why can't I see it listed for any movie theater in the Metro Washington, DC area? Does anyone know if this is to be a "limited" or mainstream-release movie? I don't see it listed at any of the usual big movie companies (Regal, AMC, etc.).

December for only LA and NYC so it qualifies for 2018 award campaigns. Rest of the country opens up the week of the Winter Olympics in February.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

IN:
'I, Tonya' earns near-perfect marks for execution
Movie follows main character from childhood through 1994 Olympics

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/12/06/262970180

"Here's what you need to know most about I, Tonya, the new feature-length dark comedy starring Margot Robbie and Allison Janney that has Oscar buzz swirling around it and -- somehow -- revisits the Tonya Harding-Nancy Kerrigan scandal of 1994 in a refreshing and not-done-before way: It's really, really good.

The movie, which hits select theatres Dec. 8 and then opens nationwide in subsequent weeks thereafter, is all at once a Harding biopic, a fantastic sports film and a look inside the drama that surrounded the "whack heard 'round the world" and its kooky cast of characters 24 years later.

I, for one, can't wait to see it again."

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information