I, Tonya

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
The documentary film “Sharp Edges” that I, Tonya is based on coming soon to Hulu. :biggrinbo

https://www.oregonlive.com/tv/2018/06/documentary_about_tonya_hardin.html

See the Championships Cups in the hands of Tonya?

I've wondered for a LONG time do they still give those cups out to the Nationals Winner? Because I havent seen any photos of US Champions holding Cups in AGES! Does anyone knower sure? @Sylvia @clairecloutier ??

Its always the medal around the neck and bouquets of flowers in their hands now.

BaileyCatts

Why does she have TWO cups? I've always assumed one was the trophy for winning, but can never get an answer of why she has TWO almost identical bowls (one smaller) and what they each were for?

BaileyCatts

Were those bowls (or at least the big bowl) a standard trophy that all National Champions received for winning during the early 1990's time period? That pic of Tonya holding those two bowls is the only picture I have ever seen of a US National Champion (from that early 1990's era) holding anything like that. Was it standard and I just never saw any pictures of anyone else?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Were those bowls (or at least the big bowl) a standard trophy that all National Champions received for winning during the early 1990's time period? That pic of Tonya holding those two bowls is the only picture I have ever seen of a US National Champion (from that early 1990's era) holding anything like that. Was it standard and I just never saw any pictures of anyone else?

The cups/bowls go wayyyyyyyy back.. 50's, 60's even before the 50s too I assume.

So we at least know that in 91 you still got a medal and you also got the bowl/cup.

Ive ALWAYS wondered the story behind the cups, and when they stopped awarding them (if they did?)

ADDED LATER.... you know what? Im gonna IG Tonya and ask and see if I get a response... Ive always wondered.....

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Oh please do cause its driven me crazy for years what those two bowls were and why she had two of them! I don't do the instagram twitter stuff so never thought of that. Maybe the source can finally answer! :lol:

LOL, I just IG her..lets see if she responds.. she only joined recently after she was cast on DWTS... she doesn't post often but lets see.

All I know is that US Champions were always given medals and then these really kind of cool (more cool than the medals) bowls. Ive always wondered what they look like closeup as I never saw any in person. But all Champions were awarded bowls.... until some time between 94-00. (I think).... If they are still awarded bowls they aren't photographed with them on the podium anymore obviously....

You can see in that photo that in 91 the medalists weren't given bouquets of flowers to hold yet.

kwanatic

FYI, this just got added to Hulu if you have that service.

I finally got around to watching the movie. It definitely sheds light on the other side of the story.

It was brilliantly acted, that's for sure. I always enjoy Margo Robbie and I loved seeing the non-Marvel side of Sebastian Stan. Janney was amazing as well. I enjoyed the movie. I think the scene that made me feel bad for Tonya was in the courthouse when they announce her titles were stripped and she was banned from skating. Robbie delivered that beautifully. Quite heart wrenching

The biggest mistake in Tonya's life was Jeff. All of the beatings and abuse and on top of that he had a major hand in ruining her career. Had she left him I'm sure her life would have turned out differently. I don't know that she ever would have become a world or Olympic champion (the judges simply didn't like her) but she could have won more medals and possibly could have gone on to coaching or something. I don't think that's an option for her now given her background.

It was definitely a good movie. I don't believe in condemning someone for a lifetime for one mistake. I mean, no one died... I wish Tonya the best. Hopefully she's living a better life now and has learned from her mistakes.

all_empty

So ... I met and chatted with Tonya this week.

First off, she looked stunning. She wore shorts that showed off her legs. Here's the outfit she posted on Instagram but it doesn't do her justice.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlKcWZQHP_k/?hl=en&taken-by=therealtonyaharding

She was glowing, her hair highlighted, her skin tanned.

She indulged in a few of my questions, saying she did land a quadruple loop in the commercial. Outside of her '91 nationals win, she wanted fans to watch her '86 Skate America silver medal winning performance on YouTube.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information