I, Tonya

Japanfan

Amy Schumer was born to play Tonya, surely?! :drama:

I actually think that films in general fail miserably when they look for an actor somewhat physically resembles the real-life person they are portraying. The pool of actors capable of doing any one part well is limited, and if physical resemblance is a requirement, it shrinks the pool tremendously and the actor most qualified to play a role may be rejected.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Having seen the competition live and in person, I sometimes wonder if the whole debacle had never happened, how Kerrigan would have done at the 1994 U.S. Championships, and if Harding could have still taken first place with the performance she gave.

DDNatalia

I really really really hope this becomes an option on flights. I don't think I pay to go to actual movie theaters any more, so this will be a fun guilty pleasure watch during a long flight.

Vagabond

Having seen the competition live and in person, I sometimes wonder if the whole debacle had never happened, how Kerrigan would have done at the 1994 U.S. Championships, and if Harding could have still taken first place with the performance she gave.
One might as well wonder whether Harding could have given that performance if she had faced an uninjured Kerrigan.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
Regarding Tonya's comments after Nancy was attacked - IIRC, she first raised eyebrows with the press when she "wished Nancy good luck in coming back next year." Which surprised them because there was no suggestion at that point that Nancy's season was over.

cmk

Yes Tonya could still have won. She didn't need a 3 axel to beat Nancy (who was nowhere close to Kristi on either mark)
. Tonya landed 5 huge triples in her long in94, was a much better spinner, had more speed and power, and could do a spiral without having to hold her leg. Tonya was also more musical. She had better flow, and while she wasn't elegant or femine, I enjoyed her skating a lot more than Nancy's. Nancy usually had clean shorts and bobekian disaster longs and that trend would probably have continued if she had't been whacked and had competed. Nancy was also very slow, stiff, and wooden. The dresses were elegant, the skating wasn't, she was probably the worse ladies spinner of all time, and she had to hold her leg on the spiral.

Vagabond

Nancy usually had clean shorts and bobekian disaster longs and that trend would probably have continued if she had't been whacked and had competed.

Or not. She was spot-on at the Olympics. Harding, finally having to face Kerrigan, faltered.

bardtoob

I would not bet on Harding until I asked Evy Scotvold, Kerrigan's coach, what he thought of the condition of Harding's ass during competition practices. That's how Evy said he could tell when Tonya could beat Nancy :ds1:

bardtoob

Hmmm . . . I did not realize that Tonya was an alternate for the 1988 Olympic Team and for the World Team for 5 years. That's a lot of alternate spots!

https://youtu.be/zwBtEEH2g40?t=232

------------------

Hmmm . . . Tonya was apparently late to the 1992 Olympics because she was having problems with her jumps, and was required to do three test skates before being cleared to go.

https://youtu.be/FbMQW8nGuS8?t=16

Last edited:

NAOTMAA

It was pretty shady of the photographer to place Nancy and Tonya side by side in the official US skating Olympic team photo :lol: And even more shady of Nancy to wear the exact practice outfit she was attacked in to her first Olympic practice that Tonya was at as well :rofl: Not to mention the threat of possibly being taken off the Olympic team because of suspected connection. And so much unflattering extra publicity. It's like Nancy was being thrown in her face at every turn from nationals to Lillehammer.

I find it hard to think that even the most hard minded of athletes could withstand it and done great

BaileyCatts

I would not bet on Harding until I asked Evy Scotvold, Kerrigan's coach, what he thought of the condition of Harding's ass during competition practices. That's how Evy said he could tell when Tonya could beat Nancy :ds1:

Say whaaaat????? :yikes:

I've heard that story before (about Evy saying that about knowing how Tonya would skate). Something about he could tell how fit and trained she was because of the condition/muscles of her body. And really, that's true of anyone who works out I think. There is a married couple at work who are both very into fitness, healthy living, and working out. Let me tell ya', they both have some rock hard bodies and, well ...... tight asses! Especially compared to my big fat flabby ass. :rofl:

Moto Guzzi

Nancy was also very slow, stiff, and wooden. The dresses were elegant, the skating wasn't, she was probably the worse ladies spinner of all time, and she had to hold her leg on the spiral.
Nancy didn't have to hold her leg on her spiral. It's a variation that was somewhat of a trademark for her, but she was completely capable of doing a spiral without holding her leg.

Amantide

I think most people's perception of Nancy is colored by the few unfortunate moments when the spotlight was on her hardcore and not the forced ice princess image.

1. Her supposed attitude while waiting for Oksana so the medal ceremony could begin. "She'll just cry it off again," or something like that came off as bitchy and made her look like a sore loser. She didn't know the real reason being they couldn't find a copy of the Ukrainian anthem and unfortunately made the comment with a cameraman standing by.

Huum, I'm not sure about that. She still think she was robbed. She is not a princess indeed, but she is snooty alright. lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARrzhqFdefg&t=653s

Yazmeen

Nancy didn't have to hold her leg on her spiral. It's a variation that was somewhat of a trademark for her, but she was completely capable of doing a spiral without holding her leg.

Having skated and talked to my own previous coach and other coaches about it, the "hand on knee" spiral was NOT an easier variation. I love how people assume she was "holding her leg up" so that made it easier. I tried it once and nearly flipped myself over. It was much easier to do a spiral with my hands away from my free leg.

bardtoob

I know. They're called sore loser for a reason.

I don't know.

I liked Oksana's previous years skating, especially the SP at Euros, and she deserved to win 1993 Worlds.

However, Oksana was kind of a mess technically for the 1993-94 season.

I also think Chen Lu should have shared 1st place ordinals in the LP at the 1994 Olympics, given that Lulu has two 3Lz despite the hand down on 3F and was more sensitive to her music than Nancy.

... I am starting to favor the opinion that neither Oksana nor Nancy deserved to win the 1994 Olympic LP. However, my CoP eyes are starting to really influence my opinion. In a way, I still like the 6.0 system, but the ordinals were such a blunt tool for determining the outcome of competitions.

Last edited:

Amantide

I don't know.

I liked Oksana's previous years skating, especially the SP at Euros, and she deserved to win 1993 Worlds.

However, Oksana was kind of a mess technically for the 1993-94 season.

I also think Chen Lu should have shared 1st place ordinals in the LP at the 1994 Olympics, given that Lulu has two 3Lz despite the hand down on 3F.

Chen Lu was my favorite.:swoon:
Having said that, what I mean is that to state she was "robbed" is going too far. At best, it was debatable. I fully understand the judges being divided tbh. I still can't decide today. Either girl would've been fine, IMO.

Yazmeen

Chen Lu was my favorite.:swoon:
Having said that, what I mean is that to state she was "robbed" is going too far. At best, it was debatable. I fully understand the judges being divided tbh. I still can't decide today. Either girl would've been fine, IMO.

Nope, my problem with Oksana was the two-footed jumps. She had a engaging way of whipping what should have been the free foot out quickly so that the two-footing was not easily noticeable if you were entranced by her expressions and hand movements. I saw her skate live several times, and I learned to watch her feet. Pretty much every triple was landed on two feet with the foot that wasn't supposed to be there slid out very fast. It looked pretty, but it was still landing on two feet.

bardtoob

Have you ever wondered if back then the real bet was ...

Would Tom Collin's get his "Champion on Ice" or would Scott Hamilton get his "Star on Ice"?

NAOTMAA

She made it look very easy. Normally you can tell when a lady holds her leg its because their spirals are lackluster and they struggle when they don't. And even when holding the leg they appear shaky. But with Nancy you can tell it was simply for style and not out of necessity

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information