Hanyu injured

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Moving the post from other thread http://dai.ly/x424svn
This video asked some doctors. They said if his condition is bad, then he'd better take surgery and rest for 6 months.

Because of this injury he was forced to stop jumping 4T for 2 months after National. Nobunari Oda also said that Yuzuru's leg was hurt. They thought he was healed for WC but the Boston practice was too harsh so it's bad again (it's your fault, Yuzuru).

This injury does not affect edge jump like 4S, 4Lo... so if by some bad luck he is not advised to do 4T and has to stop training 4lz... then maybe he will have to train 4A or else how can he does 4 quads?

Still, there is no official news about the degree of injury so hopefully he can save his 4T. I have no hope for 4lz now.

He can do 4 quads by doing each of the two types of quads in combination and solo. However, 4R is a dangerous jump. He could injure his hip. I hope he can get the quad toe back.

Fairuza

I think putting some of the blame on Orser doesn't take into consideration that Hanyu spends a lot of the season training in Japan and communicates with Brian via daily videos.
I was just waiting to see how much time it'll take before someone pops up blaming Brian yet again.
We don't even know the extent of the injury. He was capable of jumping quad toes with it - though it was visible the quality wasn't the same, so perhaps it's too early to panic yet? Let's first learn and then panic.

MAXSwagg

He can do 4 quads by doing each of the two types of quads in combination and solo. However, 4R is a dangerous jump. He could injure his hip. I hope he can get the quad toe back.

He's probably done hundreds of 4Lo by now. Even if he gets the 4T back (and I'm positive he will) he will still at 4Lo. I trust in him being healthy since Tracy said he likes to be very careful about not getting injured.

But Brian needs to put more focus on Yuzu. I fear he is getting neglected in the coaching.

Meoima

I was just waiting to see how much time it'll take before someone pops up blaming Brian yet again.
We don't even know the extent of the injury. He was capable of jumping quad toes with it - though it was visible the quality wasn't the same, so perhaps it's too early to panic yet? Let's first learn and then panic.
A tweet say this: His bone is damage, 1 month for treatment and 3 month rest

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ With the current quad-mania, that is probably unlikely to happen. IMO, the points for quads need to be brought within reason. I think TPTB went overboard in the amount of points they decided to designate for quad elements, which are out of balance with the point structure for triple jumps. I believe there was over-reaction to the political media storm post-2010 Olympics. There were other ways to offer incentives to skaters for training and competing quads. Increasing point value for quads was an okay move, but they overshot the range: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISU_Judging_System

The rush to require quads for men to be on the podium, goes against the way and amount of time it took for acrobatic jumping to develop over the years from single, to double, to triple jumps. Skaters' careers and bodies are paying the price, especially with the multiple competitive event structure of the modern era, but TPTB are still looking the other way. Five U.S. men out with injuries related to training quads, and now Hanyu struck down with injury after his valiant performances last fall, but yeah, no one who loves quads cares to focus on the connection between the pounding toll of jumps (particularly quads) and injury breakdown.

... But Brian needs to put more focus on Yuzu. I fear he is getting neglected in the coaching.

I wouldn't know for certain, but my perception is that it is a happy training camp and that Orser likely gives enough attention to all of his skaters, especially his money skaters. Surely its all worked out on the basis of how much time Hanyu is able to spend in Canada. And someone mentioned that Orser still stays in contact with Hanyu via online technology when Hanyu is in Japan. And while in Japan, obviously Hanyu works with his Japanese coaches, who likely confer and strategize with Orser.

I doubt Hanyu's current struggles (especially due to injuries) have anything to do with Orser not putting enough focus on Hanyu. If you were to ask both Javi and Hanyu about your concerns, they would probably both reassure you that your worries are unwarranted in regard to Orser not doing his duty by both of them. I'm sure the Japanese fed has some influence over Hanyu's schedule and decisionmaking. And there are probably personal logistics involved too in regard to the amount of time Hanyu spends in Japan.

Last edited:

mathil

Nothing is official until it comes out of Hanyu's or the Fed's mouths. If they said he's resting one month, then he's resting one month. No need to speculate.

Fairuza

Oh, Yuzuru has a lot of foster mothers who love to worry about him.
I'm half that way myself, but I try to keep my worries and anxieties in check. :)
I do hope this is not the worst scenario, really.

Meoima

is that official?
Hamaguri from Golden Skate's translation:
It seems the yuzu’s current injury is “Lisfranc joint ligaments damage”
Specifically,
1.Accompanying (a lot of) swell
2.Difficult to differentiate it from sprain
3.One-month conservative therapy is necessary
4.It takes 2 or 3 months before he can compete

Fairuza

Thank you, I know, I follow there too. I'm just called Fayruza there. But so far there haven't been any official statements, have there?

barbarafan

Hamaguri from Golden Skate's translation:
It seems the yuzu’s current injury is “Lisfranc joint ligaments damage”
Specifically,
1.Accompanying (a lot of) swell
2.Difficult to differentiate it from sprain
3.One-month conservative therapy is necessary
4.It takes 2 or 3 months before he can compete

I saw one statement that said he was staying in Canada for treatment. While being treated and resting it there are new programs to build.

Meoima

I saw one statement that said he was staying in Canada for treatment. While being treated and resting it there are new programs to build.
Honestly I think if the news that Yuzuru will need 3-4 months of treatment and therapy is true, then it's good for him. He has time for himself and his family, and stay away from the media. He doesn't have to do shows in this situation. He will have to suffer less pressure. I only hope it's not bad to the point of surgery.

Tavi

Wow I'm so sorry to hear this. After everything he went through last year, it's really too bad he's injured again.

I have to say, if a quad-related injury to the reigning Olympic champion doesn't cause the ISU to think long and hard about whether they're emphasized too much, I doubt anything ever will.

judgejudy27

Orser must start to manage him better, because it's just big waste of incredible talent. Stop focusing on gp season and start thinking about worlds right away.
And I am not talking just about peaking but it seems during GPF Hanyu is on top of his game mental side too, and by the time Worlds come he is exhausted head wise

Yes this 100x over, and this perhaps answers the question posted in my thread about Hanyu not ever doing his best at Olympics/Worlds that I took so much heat for starting. He is a little too ambitious if that is even possible, overworks himself to the point that by the very end, when Worlds and Olympics is, he has little left in the tank, is running on fumes, and often a bit beat up/injured. He does need to be better managed, and while Orser is obviously an excellent coach when one looks at what he has done with Fernandez, Hanyu, Nguyen, Yu Na Kim, many others, he needs to manage Hanyu better, and also stress that he not overwork himself needlessly, and worst of all not overtrain himself needlessly and foolishly at an event he was already more than ready for anyway.

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting Hersh's Hanyu/Orser article that was published before the start of Worlds: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2016/03/21/167742446/orser-hanyu-embrace-long-distance-relationship
Relevant excerpts re. Hanyu's training time in Sendai, Japan vs. Toronto this season:
Hanyu was away from Toronto for three months before returning Feb. 26 with a sore instep on his left foot that since has healed. In that time, he won three events, did several shows and trained at the rink in his Japanese hometown, Sendai, which was devastated by an earthquake almost exactly five years ago.
Until the prodigy returned to finish his preparations for the upcoming 2016 World Figure Skating Championships in Boston, the coach had not been with Hanyu since he won a fourth straight Japanese national title in late December. They were together for only three competition weeks during the skater's long absence from Toronto.
Their communication over those months? A weekly email, which works for Orser. Now.
Hanyu, who began working with Orser in the summer of 2012, skates alone in the Sendai rink, closed to everyone but his small entourage when he trains. His mother, Yumi, videotapes every practice, and Hanyu faithfully watches the recordings on his iPad, where he keeps files arranged by jump and spin types. <snip>
Hanyu arrived in Toronto at the beginning of last August to start training for this season. From then until the end of November, he was based at the Cricket Club (with the exception of some late summer shows in Japan), making the most of each training session.

Meoima

Yes this 100x over, and this perhaps answers the question posted in my thread about Hanyu not ever doing his best at Olympics/Worlds that I took so much heat for starting. He is a little too ambitious if that is even possible, overworks himself to the point that by the very end, when Worlds and Olympics is, he has little left in the tank, is running on fumes, and often a bit beat up/injured. He does need to be better managed, and while Orser is obviously an excellent coach when one looks at what he has done with Fernandez, Hanyu, Nguyen, Yu Na Kim, many others, he needs to manage Hanyu better, and also stress that he not overwork himself needlessly, and worst of all not overtrain himself needlessly and foolishly at an event he was already more than ready for anyway.
Yeap, it's Orser's responsibility that Yuzuru shouldn't overtrain himself.

judgejudy27

Yeap, it's Orser's responsibility that Yuzuru shouldn't overtrain himself.

Who knows maybe he tells him but Hanyu insists. He is very driven. It is hard to control other adults, especialy stars (even very friendly and good natured ones). However he really has to have a sit down with him and put his foot down on it.

handomi

well... Hanyu said he wants to do 2 quads in 2nd half of FS next season, so maybe injuiry is not that bad.....:scream:

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I hope he takes time off to heal.

As far as I recall, after the collision with Han Yan, he insisted on skating, eventhough Orser said he should not? I am pretty sure that as an adult, final medical decisions (like how much is too much) is not up to Orser.

I do fear that Hanyu is being too overconfident of his body. I think he shouldn't have skated with a head injury, and I think he should be more careful about healing injuries like this. I think he should have taken a season off - he seems to be under so much pressure. He can't really sit out next season, since he need to help JPN have 3 men's spots for 2018, and he obviously don't want to sit out the Olympic season.

Maybe he can not join the GP this year? That might do him good. Pap/Ciz shows that you can, and still win.

Meoima

well... Hanyu said he wants to do 2 quads in 2nd half of FS next season, so maybe injuiry is not that bad.....:scream:
I'm afraid he will come up with 4 quads next season... But honestly maybe he should skip the GPs. He has spent so much time, mentality and energy for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information