German Skating Season 2020-21

text_skate

I am freaking out. Siggi Heinrich and Hendryk Schamberger are back.😍😍

Back to the roots!!
Thanks. I'm watching :)
I liked these two the most (on German TV). Always. I've stopped watching Eurosport, when they started changing teams, and switched to ESP2.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I am freaking out. Siggi Heinrich and Hendryk Schamberger are back.😍😍

Back to the roots!!
I also usually prefer them to Daniel Weiss, but today I noticed that they very often had to say that "the Asians" more often tend to use classical music. I don't know, it did strike me as a bit strange because back in the days they'd always criticize the Russians for stuff like that and gush over the Japanese skaters, for instance. Their bias against the Asian skaters was quite obvious today.

J

Jeschke

It says a lot about german skating, when our comments after the day are about Siggi and Hendryk :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Schott can call herself lucky, no discussion.
And 2nd pair spot is pretty sure gone.
Overall an ouch day tbh for #TeamD.

Sunny231

Very disapointing outing from Fentz with 26th place out of 33 participants and no qualification for the FS. So no spot secured for the Olympics and the pressure will be on to still get the spot at Nebelhorn Trophy.
The 2nd spot in pairs is surely gone as well, the points gap is too big for H/K to finish up in 10th place (which was too much to ask for even before they skated the SP). Is there any chance/possibility to still get the 2nd spot at Nebelhorn Trophy if not placing in the top 10 at Worlds?

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Very disapointing outing from Fentz with 26th place out of 33 participants and no qualification for the FS. So no spot secured for the Olympics and the pressure will be on to still get the spot at Nebelhorn Trophy.
The 2nd spot in pairs is surely gone as well, the points gap is too big for H/K to finish up in 10th place (which was too much to ask for even before they skated the SP). Is there any chance/possibility to still get the 2nd spot at Nebelhorn Trophy if not placing in the top 10 at Worlds?
No. They have to finish top 10 in order to have a chance at qualifying the 2nd spot.

Sunny231

Oh, that really sucks! :( Pairs is the only discipline where it really hurts German Fed not having 2 spots for the Olympics. Maybe in Ice Dance it would be nice as well, but it is unrealistic to achieve for Müller/Dieck. In pairs it would have been so easy to archive if H/S hadn't been forced to withdraw due to injury, so sad!

J

Jeschke

In pairs it would have been so easy to archive if H/S hadn't been forced to withdraw due to injury, so sad!
Don't agree that it would have been easy, but it would have been way more realistic that's for sure.
Only good thing coming outta this is the suspense of the #olympicrace in advance in dance and pairs.

But: If H/S don't make it - sucks so much after their development and missing 2018 already.
If H/K don't make it - sucks based on future prospects (and for Hocke as being there already).

Sabine-Yuna

13th place for Hocke/ Kunkel is not that bad for a pair that is not even skating together for 2 years. If they'll continue to develop there will be a chance for better placements. They are definitely the future for German Fed. I hope they'll take care well for them. Sad that they can't send both pairs to the Olympics.

J

Jeschke

Overall, this is really not good for #TeamD so far.
I can't get rid of the feeling that the athlets did not seem that un-prepared in terms of practice.

But (I know other countries had the same problem) I am still a bit :huh: that there weren't more intern competitions: german fed only or one practice base only, or something like that. Athletes need some riddance going into it.
Well...let's hope for a decent FS by Schott and M/D.

Overall, first worlds for Kunkel. Hope these 2 can develop.
13th not that bad.

J

Jeschke

Kinda similar reaction for me.
I am not their biggest fan, but Müller/Dieck delivered.
It was not a given making the cut, so well done for their first world championships.

Schott rebounced somehow, though it still felt kinda rushed and messy (proves my point that to me just mileage with the programs is missing for german skaters).
She gave a good fight, especially for the 3f3t, but girl, if you can land it like that, for gods sake, include it in the SP!
It's a weird layout, jumps, steps, choreosq, jumps, spin spin spin, somehow it still is fitting the music.
Tbh I really like the program, it has potential. A shame we only got to see it twice. (I doubt she is keeping it - as she always talked of 2 music pieces she wants to skate at olympics - one was schindler's list.
Other skaters passed her, she still finds her place somewhere between 14-24 in the worlds, and let's face it, there is/will be not better option for olympics.
I just wished, she somehow would have pushed a bit harder in her career. (from an extern point of view of course)

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jeschke

Interview with Viola Striegler (most known as coach of Lindemann and Liebers) who stepped down as seniors head coach :

Google Translate does a decent job.

With Peter Liebers in Sochi in 2014, I had the big goal of winning an Olympic medal. After his 5th place in the short program, that was no longer possible and Peter finished eighth.
Ehm? :huh:
Well. Speaking of setting realistic goals :shuffle:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Interview with Viola Striegler (most known as coach of Lindemann and Liebers) who stepped down as seniors head coach :

Google Translate does a decent job.

Ehm? :huh:
Well. Speaking of setting realistic goals :shuffle:
I watched that Olympic FS with a German friend of mine who is rooting for all the German athletes in all the sports and she was really upset and close to tears when Liebers didn't win a medal. Uhm, yeah...

Quadjump

I watched that Olympic FS with a German friend of mine who is rooting for all the German athletes in all the sports and she was really upset and close to tears when Liebers didn't win a medal. Uhm, yeah...
Lieber´s Sochi SP was the hightlight in his career. He was flawless this day and this SP is maybe the best German non-Aljona skate of this century. Medals were out of reach and I just cannot comprehend how she was dreaming of a medal.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Lieber´s Sochi SP was the hightlight in his career. He was flawless this day and this SP is maybe the best German non-Aljona skate of this century. Medals were out of reach and I just cannot comprehend how she was dreaming of a medal.
There is just something with German figure skating fans and clubs and their delusions.

A couple of examples from my own experience:

• I saw a video of a skater of a German club who, at the age of 13 or 14, had like 2 or 3 doubles and they seriously promoted that skater as the upcoming Olympic champion on regional TV.
  • Daniel Weiss' own daughter who was doing a single axel at like 10 was also promoted as the "next big thing" in their regional media.
  • When I was volunteering at 2007 Junior Worlds in Oberstdorf, several experienced adult volunteers who had been doing this for a long time already (like, for the past 10+ years in Oberstdorf alone back then), were CERTAIN that the German Junior skater Philipp Tischendorf (whom I absolutely loved back in the days) would win a medal.
    Just so you get an idea who was there as well: Chan, Voronov, Carriere (who won in the end), Reynolds, Brezina, Borodulin, Gleikhengauz (his only trip to Jr. Worlds), Amodio etc.
  • During my own days as a figure skater a mom at our rink also was certain her son (who barely did any doubles at the age of 12) would become Olympic champion.

I have always wondered how and where they are getting their expectations and are expecting them to be totally reasonable, but on the other hand, no one in Doucheland was willing to sponsor and promote Aliona and Bruno when they teamed up and still, no one is willing to sponsor them right now, even after their OGM, in case of a comeback although Aliona was the only one to win medals for the federation for over a decade.
Mind-blowing.

J

Jeschke

Nicole Schott spoke with Patricia Kühne in this IG Live for about an hour via the German federation's account earlier today: https://www.instagram.com/tv/COOHWtAK5Ht/
Would anyone like to summarize highlights?
Here we go:

• 4 weeks break after worlds; season preparation will start again next week.
  • explaining the corona-worlds: kinda normal besides the fact of not being allowed outside (apart from hotel rooftop)
  • tested: 48hrs before worlds, at date of arrival, afetr 4 days and at day of departure
  • 'I think this were my 5th worlds iirc' :rolleyes: :rofl:
  • no audience was not that bad, as many skaters were in cheering and the Stockholm light signs gave a feeling that the arena is not empty
  • annoyed about SP, but pleased overall with result; goal was getting olympic spot for GER
  • 'first time i jumped everything in FS'
  • I like her explaining olympic selection senario; she seems confident not many getting the 175pts (or something like that) which is needed at all to be considered (she did not say it exactly like that, but I like her wording and the smirk)
  • fair system of selection
  • Chances making it to olympics? Solid answer: 'It's my goal. No work, no price. It's realistic when everything will go as usual'.
  • 'There will be new programs; I don't know how many new programs. We're still figuering out.' (4yrs ago she mentioned there are 2 pieces she wanted to skate at olympics, one was Schindler's List; i wonder what happened to the 2nd? :huh:)
  • interviewer not giving up, wants details (Schott answer: no Don Quixote or folklore, never ever)
  • Choreographer: Huth until this season, but new one is coming, but does not want to give details (she had Gusmeroli and Chipolleschi before, or? :huh:)
  • 'Mama and I are designing the costumes.' - tailor is the same since her first dress ever.
  • first dress is still there, rest is mostly sold.
  • after sports career: she will likely leave army; she wants to be choreographer and coach and wanted to be host for holiday rental in oberstdorf (she already seems to have an appartment there)

Questions by fans
  • biggest success so far: olympic games. such a good team, great spirit, olympic team event was awesome; worlds 2018 best competition so far
  • practice day: 4days practice, 1 free - starts 7:40am on ice, finish around 2/3pm (claiming it's harder now to warm up / etc with age) (interviewer going on with 'old' age, schott seems not too amused :p)
  • problem with nervousness: no big problem, i just rush in the programs and need to be more calm
  • talk about competitors: overall level increased so much (not speaking of top skaters but overall level) --> pushing her to develop (lutz anyone? :D)
  • about 3a or quad: practiced 3a after olympic season all summer and got injured; was kinda out 10weeks due to that, thus decided to leave it aside, wants to enjoy last seasons
  • comparing RUS system with GER system --> no chance
  • best question to end: some years from now, who will lead german ladies: no clue (laughing hard) :rofl::rofl::rofl:

:sekret: says there was a lutz-question admitted, which was not be answered :drama:

Sylvia

TBD

Minerva Hase sustained a leg injury while doing an intended triple twist in training. Hase & Seegert won't be able to compete at Worlds next month.
Minerva Hase's :( February 17th post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CLZKVpEpz0l/
Due to an accident at practice, followed by a surgery, I am heartbroken to announce that Nolan and I won't be able to represent Germany at the Worlds in Stockholm.
The surgery went well and from now on it can only get better.
We were looking forward to finally have a competition in this strange times, but you cannot always plan life.
We will get back even stronger next season! 💪🏼
Due to her recovery, Minerva posted this group photo yesterday ("I was only able to complete half the basic training..."): https://www.instagram.com/p/COQ0_5iJ-u1/
She and Nolan Seegert were back on the ice today, according to their Instagram stories - Minerva's is captioned "After not being able to go on the ice for 2 1/2 months, this is a pretty amazing feeling"... what a shame they don't have the opportunity to compete at Nebelhorn Trophy for a 2nd Olympic spot.

Announced by Aljona today (GSD news thread):

zigzig

Happy for S/M to finish their chapter on their own terms and ride out on a high. Mad respect and best wishes to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information